June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm joining late too. I really need some support for my low buy, I should do no buy but I know I'll go a bit crazy after it ... so low buy it is.

The only thing I have to buy this month is non-makeup related and it's a battery recharger with AA batteries so I can use my camera again, my old one died.I also need a larger memory card but that can wait unless I see a great sale.

I get an Ipsy bag every month, I thought it would help me spend less ~ some months it does others no like when things aren't going well.

As in last month I lost my furbaby cat to pet food poisoning, I can't seem to get over his loss and neither can his sister ~ his twin (thank god she wasn't eating the same food)  but she can't buy makeup though I'm sure if she could she would, instead she was taking it out on her bed so I had to take it away for now.

So what did I do? I bought eyeshadow palettes, lipsticks, lipgloss, blushes all to make me feel better and it did for a little while...  

I overspent last month and really have to cut way back for months, so I'll limit myself to 5 items or less if possible and they have to be really inexpensive - so far I've bought nothing this month .. a small victory. But I've been eyeing some lipglosses & a lipstick, I keep telling myself I really don't need them though they are very low priced and the clincher I have a coupon lol

Ugh! I need help! 
icon_cry.gif

Flowerfish, I usually only get shower gels and lotion! For some reason I can never miss a sale, now to limit temptation I just delete their emails when I get them

Lisabette, Aww you poor thing, some people dont get it but animals are family also. Thats great that you didn't purchase anything this month. If you really find the urge to spend you should set a dollar amount, instead of a product amount! Thats an easy way for you to set a limit on your spending. Then you should ask yourself 'Am I really going to use this? How much will I use it' Questions like that brings reasoning into play and you'll perhaps find out your really dont want it, but if you do you should buy it but dont exceed your limit. I hope that helps hun!!!!

Well, didn't make it for a no-buy, but I'm still fairly low.  Makeup-wise, I bought a Lip Factory box.  Haven't come across the Infallible Eyeshadow I was going to allow, but I'm going to skip it for June since I bought that box.

As for cookbooks, I bought 3.  =(  But each was just a penny + $3.99 shipping on Amazon, and they were unique.  (Two are for an ice cream maker.  I got one a few years ago, but never use it because I don't have recipes.  The other is a bunch of recipes for sides of every veggie you can think of, so I can stop buying the frozen veggies in sauce.)

So not perfect, but I'm usually far worse.

Edit to correct myself ~*~ I lied.  The veggie cookbook was $4 + shipping.  Just the ice cream ones were a penny each.

Lisabette, I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. I agree with Tinkabella, animals are family too. I'm so glad to hear that your other kitten is alright. It's completely understandable that you tried to make yourself feel better by buying make up. That's probably what I would do, too. But perhaps you can channel your energy into something more positive in order to take your mind off things? For example trying to focus on making a dent in your make up collection and finishing up half-used items etc. I've also spent ages making an Excel sheet for my low-buy progress. Just a thought, it's something that works for me.

For the first time in a while I'm going on sephora and urbandecay.com and filling up carts. AGH WORK STRESS. I haven't bought a single item of makeup in June, and I've been making really great progress but I feel like I'm about to have a giant set back.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For the first time in a while I'm going on sephora and urbandecay.com and filling up carts. AGH WORK STRESS. I haven't bought a single item of makeup in June, and I've been making really great progress but I feel like I'm about to have a giant set back.
Don't do it!!!

It'll make you feel good for a while, but then you'll have more stuff. And feel guilty. ): THink about how far you got already!! Only 9 more days until the new month

Don't do it!!! It'll make you feel good for a while, but then you'll have more stuff. And feel guilty. ): THink about how far you got already!! Only 9 more days until the new month
What Kyuu said! Go ahead and fill your cart, and then pick out a much lower dollar amount and play Cart Tetris. Figure out what you can get and exactly hit that total. Don't actually go through checkout. Save the cart and let it sit a few hours/overnight, and then go back, add more things, and re-edit. Repeat all weekend. I usually find it even more soothing to do this than to actually place the order and get the things.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What Kyuu said! Go ahead and fill your cart, and then pick out a much lower dollar amount and play Cart Tetris. Figure out what you can get and exactly hit that total. Don't actually go through checkout. Save the cart and let it sit a few hours/overnight, and then go back, add more things, and re-edit. Repeat all weekend. I usually find it even more soothing to do this than to actually place the order and get the things.
This. I love Cart Tetris! I've been playing it all week lol

Oh, that's a great idea! Unfortunately, it's also still a time waster and not great for being productive. XD;

But yeah, I think most of us get a shopper's high from looking at stuff and picking out things. Shipping out is exciting, but when we actually get the stuff we're like, "oh... stuff! okay." Rinse and repeat.

Go read some blogs and see what other people have gotten in their boxes. ;D Vicariously live through other people's purchases. That's a great way to curtail shopping!

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, that's a great idea! Unfortunately, it's also still a time waster and not great for being productive. XD;

But yeah, I think most of us get a shopper's high from looking at stuff and picking out things. Shipping out is exciting, but when we actually get the stuff we're like, "oh... stuff! okay." Rinse and repeat.

Go read some blogs and see what other people have gotten in their boxes. ;D Vicariously live through other people's purchases. That's a great way to curtail shopping!
I agree on the anticlimax of getting stuff, but when I look at other people's blogs it makes me want to go buy the stuff they bought.

'i love the cart tetris idea.  Gonna go look at some other people's blogs too.  So close to the end of June--we can do it! I haven't bought anything beauty related yet (except Birchbox, which is an annual subscription, so it was bought and paid for long ago.)

With motivation and effort you can really do it.

Good Luck

Edit - Please no blog links, thank you! - Mod Staff

Originally Posted by mangoloveyou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With motivation and effort you can really do it. These are my empties

Good Luck
Nice going!!

I'm dying of curiosity, does cutting up the bottles/tubes mean anything?

Originally Posted by Xiang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice going!!

I'm dying of curiosity, does cutting up the bottles/tubes mean anything?
Didn't see the blog link before it was removed but I cut up empty tubes in order to get every last bit of product out. Even when a tube feels empty there's usually a lot left if you cut it up. You can scrape the sides of the tubes with a clean spatula and put the product into an empty sample jar or just use the top half of the tube as a lid. I do this to all moisturizers, hand creams, body lotions etc. It helps you not to waste product or money.

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Didn't see the blog link before it was removed but I cut up empty tubes in order to get every last bit of product out. Even when a tube feels empty there's usually a lot left if you cut it up. You can scrape the sides of the tubes with a clean spatula and put the product into an empty sample jar or just use the top half of the tube as a lid. I do this to all moisturizers, hand creams, body lotions etc. It helps you not to waste product or money.
I've never thought of that, what a great idea! Thank you!

Thanks for the support guys! I ran away from my computer and didn't end up buying anything. I am doing a pretty good job of entertaining myself this weekend so no worries there. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the support guys! I ran away from my computer and didn't end up buying anything. I am doing a pretty good job of entertaining myself this weekend so no worries there. 
I've drooled over many MANY things this month but have yet to make a purchase. Running away from the shopping cart before clicking submit helps a lot.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

But I've resisted everything even that Ariel Palette that is just soooo gorgeous but I don't actually need it.. That's got to count for something, right? Haha.

Oh wait, I did open up a 2nd sub to birchbox this month. Nooooo..... I couldn't resist BB, took forever to get off the waiting list this time. I have 3 sub boxes now even though I canceled Beauty Army, BB5 and EcoEmi last month. I guess 3 is still better than 5? 
eusa_wall.gif

And June is almost over. Wheew!

I've been wanting that Ariel palette hardcore, but right before I was about to buy it, I closed the tab. I have so many eyeshadows and palettes already, and there's really no reason for me to get it. I bought the MAC lipstick in flamingo, and my husband bought me Heaux and Riri Boy for our anniversary. That's it, though. I honestly really haven't been tempted by much, to be honest. Maybe I'm burnt out on beauty, or maybe deep down I know I'd rather wait until fall because I just loooove autumn collections.

Empties have been going crazy, crazy slow this month. There were so many things that I thought I'd finish up with, but it's looking like that won't be the case after all. I'm trying, though! I'm about to go through my makeup and clear out everything that doesn't work for me, or I really dislike and I know I won't ever use. 

LOL I found like dozens of tiny bottles of shampoo and travel-sized toothpaste in the house, and I'm using them all up now. XD They were all hidden for some reason... talk about goo-hoarding!

I'm going to feel so good about using them all up, though it's not such a huge accomplishment since they're tiny bottles.

Y__Y I feel so good about myself for resisting the Julep Warehouse, Sephora by OPI, and Urban Decay sales... but I'm still like sad inside that I missed them. Ah well.

Back