June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Tinkabella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried putting it on my upper lid, i just tested it out on my waterline and after it irritated my eyes so I just removed it!
That sucks! I only kept mine because of the palette but I would return it if I brought it individually. 

I decided to look up tutorials on Youtube for palettes that I have that I don't use or I'm tired of. I have so many pretty eyeshadows but sometimes I don't know how to create a look with them. This has really opened my eyes to some new looks that I can create with what I already have.

That sucks! I only kept mine because of the palette but I would return it if I brought it individually.  I decided to look up tutorials on Youtube for palettes that I have that I don't use or I'm tired of. I have so many pretty eyeshadows but sometimes I don't know how to create a look with them. This has really opened my eyes to some new looks that I can create with what I already have.
That's a great idea!

OK, maybe I need a low/no buy support group more than I thought. lol

I HAVE PROBLEMS...

I can resist almost anything except nail polish...I put myself on no buy...knowing full well I couldn't do that, but figured I'd at least discourage myself slightly. now I was in need of base and top coat as both were dangerously low...figured I'd grab another white polish while I was there as that was getting to the halfway point and I use white a lot....then it got ugly...err pretty....lol

I came home with:

a Loreal one stop base coat

a Sally Hanson Insta-dri top coat( my fave)

Salon Perfect in "sugar cube"

Sally Hanson Insta-dri in "in a flash" and in "snappy sorbet"

Sally Hanson Xtreme wear in "black out" I justified this one because my black nail art polish is getting all goopy, even after being thinned

Pure Ice in "no means no"

Essie in "play date"

and NYC matte me crazy top coat (I really wanted to try this)

I STILL SAY AT LEAST I'M NOT ON CRACK!!!! 
icon_eek.gif

Went to Mall of America yesterday and didn't buy any make-up or beauty products! Even though my husband kept saying stuff like "Are you sure you don't want to go to Sephora, I know you always like to go in when were here?" and "Did you see Bath and Body Works has candles on sale?" I think he's my biggest enabler! 

Kristen he totally is! Lol, I laughed so hard because one of my friends actually convinced me to by an UD liner yesterday! I cant shop with enablers, they will question and reason with me until I cave!!! Lissa1307, Oh my! You have to learn to resist temptation! I know, its everywhere! What helps me is I cant spend money I dont have so I'll purposely leave some home so I only have enough to buy what I need. Lioness90, Thats a really good idea!

So I caved and brought Urban Decay Eyeliner in Perversion! For some reason its irritating my eyes, they are watering and very itchy. I took it off and its better but i dont think its an reaction because I had used this product plenty of times before, but I'm returning it today!
I have really sensitive eyes (I wear hard contacts) and I've been looking for an eyeliner to rim my waterline and thought the urban decay ones would be ok because they are waterproof but the saleswoman at ulta said she had a lot of customers return and complain about perversion. She said there was a lot of problems with it flaking off. I'm glad I didn't get it, now hearing even more people having problems with it. As for the last thing I bought, I got both the stunning and irresistible sampler sets by zoya. I also sent out for the nail art nail tattoos. I couldn't find them here in the u.s. so I got them on eBay. I've spent way too much money on nail polish on the past week or so, so I really need to reign it in. I think staying off of eBay and organizing my makeup/nail polish collection will help with not spending. I buy so much on a whim that I forget what I even have. Maybe going through it will be like a little shopping kick without actually spending money.

I've had to add two things to my allowed list: Tea Tree Tingle shampoo from Trader Joe's and some lip balm with SPF. The shampoo is a must for me in the summer because it helps cool me down when I get too hot, and I'm almost out (I forgot to get some today, but I will be okay for a few days). I had to toss the SPF-containing lip balms that I did have because they expired, and I *have* to have this stuff in the summer. I feel guilty for getting these, but they really are necessary for me to get through the summer as painlessly as possible.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had to add two things to my allowed list: Tea Tree Tingle shampoo from Trader Joe's and some lip balm with SPF. The shampoo is a must for me in the summer because it helps cool me down when I get too hot, and I'm almost out (I forgot to get some today, but I will be okay for a few days). I had to toss the SPF-containing lip balms that I did have because they expired, and I *have* to have this stuff in the summer. I feel guilty for getting these, but they really are necessary for me to get through the summer as painlessly as possible.
I LOVE that shampoo! It does feel awesome on your scalp, and it's really inexpensive, too. A great deal.

I was naughty and I bought several lipsticks from the MAC all about orange collection, and so I'm trying to really, really cut down now on what I buy. I've decided to try and buy only drugstore products if I do buy anything, so I can save a little bit of money that way. Plus, it would really be good for me to kick my habit of buying a ton of high-end stuff!

I cant live without sun block this summer! Im African American and I rather not walk around looking like a burnt piece of toast! Ladygrey, Yes you have been very naughty, I hope your satisfied! Lol. One of my friends is all a high-end products girl, she's a college student so I'm trying to help her save a buck by shopping drugstore products! It doesn't seem to be working unfortunately!

Originally Posted by Tinkabella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant live without sun block this summer! Im African American and I rather not walk around looking like a burnt piece of toast!

One of my friends is all a high-end products girl, she's a college student so I'm trying to help her save a buck by shopping drugstore products! It doesn't seem to be working unfortunately!
Yeah, I'm AA and I burn/tan easily so I've been slathering sunscreen all over. And being a Sephora shopper on a college student budget stinks! If you find any good drugstore products that are comparable to high-end products feel free to share them with us!

I've been trying to do a low buy but haven't been too successful lately.  My biggest downfall is buying Avon.  Every time I get a new catalog & they always have great sales on SOMETHING,it makes me want to buy.

I am so proud of myself...I was going to buy a 5 pc. set of body lotions / sprays/ shower gels for a mere $10, but I was finally good!  Woohoo I resisted.  I have enough lotions and sprays I need to use up.  I also passed up a couple of nail polishes I was going to get and a new limited edition eyeshadow duo. I just bought a few nail polishes so I won't buy anymore for a now & the eyeshadows I have are all I really use so I might as well just use them up.  My Avon lady txt me that she's putting in an order tomorrow and I didn't order anything!

Originally Posted by la rubia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been trying to do a low buy but haven't been too successful lately.  My biggest downfall is buying Avon.  Every time I get a new catalog & they always have great sales on SOMETHING,it makes me want to buy.

I am so proud of myself...I was going to buy a 5 pc. set of body lotions / sprays/ shower gels for a mere $10, but I was finally good!  Woohoo I resisted.  I have enough lotions and sprays I need to use up.  I also passed up a couple of nail polishes I was going to get and a new limited edition eyeshadow duo. I just bought a few nail polishes so I won't buy anymore for a now & the eyeshadows I have are all I really use so I might as well just use them up.  My Avon lady txt me that she's putting in an order tomorrow and I didn't order anything!
Good job!! 
claps.gif

Lioness90, I know what you mean! You know it's bad when im carrying sun block in my purse, but I sure will!

Originally Posted by la rubia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good job indeed!
claps.gif
The thing with Avon is that they always have sales going on, so you're not missing out on anything. There are always going to be new sales and new products.

I renewed my Glamour Doll OTM for a month and got 2 sample pigments, for $15? That's the extent of my makeup purchases this month. Bought two of those Sally Hansen fuzzy coat polishes with coupons for $3 total. Haven't even used them yet! Plys, some polishes I ordered last month arrived finally, so I'm just going to play with those and console myself that my low buy is coming along.

Im so glad to see that everyone is sticking to their goals! Good job indeed everyone! This month I purchased 4 Apocalips by Rimmel London for $20 and a palette from BH Cosmetics for $12 plus shipping so Im in my price range! No including the UD liner because I took it back!

Everyone is doing great!  Keep it up!

For myself, I have had so much job stress that all I want to do is sleep and eat.  Not even tempted to buy makeup.  Not even perfume, which is normally my downfall...So, yay job stress?

Lol, I haven't even had the chance to overspend this month. Which is great don't get me wrong but going on coffee dates with the girlfriends and the mall and the zoo oddly, and talking into the wee hours in the mornings and work! Omg, I want to face plant into my bed and sleep like the dead.

This is great having a no buy/low buy support group. It's a sickness I tell ya! lol

I don't have a definitive plan at the moment.  I know BBW is having a semi annual sale soon so I may allow myself to pick up a few things.  I definitely don't need anymore eyeshadows.  There are only a select few I use so I know it will just be a waste to buy more...I...must....resist...all the pretties.  Really, I don't currently need any makeup at the moment.  Now, nail polish is another weak point for me.  I recently bought a few new ones so hopefully they'll keep me occupied for a while.

I have decided that anything I buy must be with cash so no sneaking $5 here and a couple $$ there when I'm at walmart buying other things.  That should help keep me in check for the most part.

I did see an avon catalog online that won't be out for about a month or so that's having a big sale.  I think I will set aside a couple dollars every week and allow myself to get a few things I know I'll use.  I'm going to limit myself to $20 though so I won't go crazy.

Hmmm....I guess I do kind of have a plan after all.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm doing okay on my low-buy and fantastic when it comes to the items on my no-buy list (conditioner, shampoo, hair serums/oils, and shower gel).  There were a few impulse buys, but one of them (a non-angled gel eyeliner pencil) was actually on my list to buy later this year, so I'm not kicking myself over that one (the bright blue automatic eyeliner pencil is another impulse purchase, and that one *is* a regret since I have a couple of other very similar shades, but it was essence, so it was only two or three bucks, and if it goes in my makeup bag for work and then mysteriously disappears, I won't be upset for losing a $20 UD/stila pencil).  My big splurge -- a Glamour Doll Eyes order of something like two dozen sample jars -- was due to receiving an unexpected raise retroactive to the previous pay period, and I do have "ALL THE GDE THINGS" on my shopping list for the period between now and the rest of the year, so that's not one to beat myself up over, either.  

Anyway.  I'm working on an allowed list for June, so we'll see how that goes in a month!

Oooh, I like that idea of having certain items on a no buy list, while being on a low buy. I'm going to try that out.

Back