June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great Meaganola! In no way shape or form an I encouraging buying but did you not like the nail polish, because let me tell you I love me some China Glaze and Essie! I'm very proud to see everyone making goals and sticking to them, even the ones who flopped on their goals! Who am I kidding we're all women, and as women we have needs....makeup and cosmetics just so happen to be the most important! Lol!!

Originally Posted by Tinkabella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yea, all of mine are drugstore! I've been to drugstore.com three times all ready, I didn't buy anything thou...thank goodness! I kind of have my mind on Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide on eyeliner in Perversion, I know what a shame !!
icon_cry.gif
I've been wanting the same eyeliner but in Psychedelic Sister and two of their liquid liners. I'm wanting for a sale though.

So far I've been good with my monthly 5 item low-buys. Brushes don't count towards my item limit and I brought a few from Sephora's sale section recently.

Im also waiting for a sale but I'm like I'm just gonna get it! I never ever catch the sales anyway lol.

Thats great! Last month I didn't buy any beauty products, so if I go over my limit a tad bit I'm not gonna kick myself! I'm hoping not to thou!

I did pretty well in May. I just bought a full size Stainiac to replace the sample I used up (but I use Amazon gift cards I got from Swagbucks to pay for it), a bottle of eye makeup remover, and the Sephora Lash Stash To Go because 5 trial size mascaras plus a voucher for a full size for $25 was just too good of a deal to pass up.

For June, I am going to try to not buy anything except for my Birchbox and Ipsy bag.

Ooh Kristen, that is a good deal! Thats also a good goal to just stick to your subs! Doing my no/low buys I'm starting to feel like alot of people have an advantage over me because I dont get any sub boxes! None what so ever! Maybe its time to change that!

Ooh Kristen, that is a good deal! Thats also a good goal to just stick to your subs!

Doing my no/low buys I'm starting to feel like alot of people have an advantage over me because I dont get any sub boxes! None what so ever! Maybe its time to change that!
Sub boxes are addictive! When you get one, you'll want more and it's hard to give them up lol!

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not letting myself buy ANYTHING beauty related until my first paycheck. I've just come off from a month of not working -- I quit my job before finals/graduation around the beginning of May and I start my new job tomorrow! It's been pretty tight considering how money seems to fly away when having a bunch of "one last night in town" outings with friends. I also spent a lot of money getting the rest of the stuff for my apartment (it was fully furnished but that first target run and first grocery run is always heavy when getting essentials). I've just moved to the Nashville-area so of course my boyfriend and I spent the whole weekend spending money going out!

I'm going to try to hold out for the month of June and limit myself to 5 items. I don't *need* anything so I might be okay! (Oh I do need brushes. That doesn't count though.)
Such a pretty area!  I lived in Bellevue and worked at Vanderbilt for a little over a year.  You must go to the Loveless Cafe for breakfast sometime.

Such a pretty area!  I lived in Bellevue and worked at Vanderbilt for a little over a year.  You must go to the Loveless Cafe for breakfast sometime.
I went to Loveless yesterday! We ended up waiting around 2 hours for a table... It was SOOOOO GOOD.

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Loveless yesterday! We ended up waiting around 2 hours for a table... It was SOOOOO GOOD.
Oh wow, it must be more popular than ever!  I love their blackberry preserve.

Ooh Kristen, that is a good deal! Thats also a good goal to just stick to your subs!

Doing my no/low buys I'm starting to feel like alot of people have an advantage over me because I dont get any sub boxes! None what so ever! Maybe its time to change that!
The thing with sub boxes is that you're likely to get products that you don't really care for. Sure, you might also discover new HGs and favourites and there's also the thrill of surprise. Still, I haven't subscribed to any boxes and I'm probably not going to. Personally, I'd rather research products and only purchase things I'm absolutely sure I'll love. But I can definitely see why people enjoy sub boxes. So I guess the bottom line is that they can be really helpful during a low-buy but I don't think you're missing out on anything, Tinkabella.

Thanks Mauu, Its funny because I was just researching sub boxes! I wasn't going to subscribe, I just wanted to see a preview of the items they last sent out to get an idea of their products. I also think sub boxes are a win/lose situation, because I love getting items in the mail & surprises so that's a win but what if I dont like the items in the bag! Its like 'Shake the pot and see what you got' you might love what you get and you might not. I like going to the store and actually getting what I like !!!

I changed from a no-buy to low buy in May after reading another MUT's post on the 'healthiness' of 'no buy vs. low buy'...  sorry I forgot your name fellow MUTer. 

My fiance also supports the low buy more than no buy as he did notice after I come out of a no buy i got a bit 'crazy'. 

in May I purchased the following items:

- Physician's Formula - air brushing powder - used CVS extra bucks so only end up paying $4 for this, on top of the sale

- tarte - Aqualillies palette - had to get this for fear that it'd sell out EVERYWHERE since it already sold out at Tarte website.

- Hardcandy - glamoflauge, thank you MUTers, I only got this b/c MUTers kept on saying how amazing this concealer is, and i do like it ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

- Rimmel - Glam Eye Quad, Walmart sells this for $3.79 or so, in the city, CVS sells this for $6.99?!?!?!?!?!  I HAD to get it on the principal that it's so much cheaper at the suburb Walmart I happen to be at like twice a year!

- Wet n' Wild - party on the roof. impulse buy :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  but its $4.99

- Urban Decay - deluxe shadow box from Nordstromrack - impulse buy but its on sale for $14.99! 

- theBalm - down boy blush.  This blush was the AWESOME buy of the month, I had Walgreens reward balance so only paid $1.94 for this blush!! Yep, In NYC and SF they have these "FANCY Walgreens" where they carry the Balm, Cargo, Gosh and a bunch of other mid range brands.  I was SOOOOO  Happy!!!

All in all, my low buy didn't seem so 'low' but for me i was pretty  happy with how I did, as in the past I'd be buying a few makeup items every week! if not every few days.

For June, I've got my Ipsy and I just subscribed to Starbox.   I may skip Julep and beauty army i may skip as well. 

basically, I can't buy anymore palettes, blush, eyeliners, mascaras or lipsticks.  So June SHOULD be a no buy, heck 2013 should be a no buy until i pan more.  

But, gonna stick to low buy in June and give myself some wiggle room if i see something i MUST have!

Instead of a dollar amount budget I'm going to limit my no buy to 5 items for the month of June.

Which is a bit hard b/c I haven't even got started on the CVS clearance yet! And i got 20% coupon AND i got $5 extra bucks. 

Wonderful to read about everyone's efforts and successes.  You are all very inspiring. 

I managed to stick to a low buy in May (after the initial perfume order, nothing else for the month.)  I am trying to do a complete no-buy for June, since I just depotted yet another eyeshadow, and reorganized my stash and have rediscovered some stuff that hadn't been accessible.  But the CVS clearance sale is tempting me a little--there's nothing I NEED, I just feel like I want to go in and browse...that way lies madness, and impulse buys!

Wonderful to read about everyone's efforts and successes.  You are all very inspiring.  I managed to stick to a low buy in May (after the initial perfume order, nothing else for the month.)  I am trying to do a complete no-buy for June, since I just depotted yet another eyeshadow, and reorganized my stash and have rediscovered some stuff that hadn't been accessible.  But the CVS clearance sale is tempting me a little--there's nothing I NEED, I just feel like I want to go in and browse...that way lies madness, and impulse buys!  
Don't go! There are better uses of your time! Go to a movie (it would be cheaper than a shopping spree if you go to the right place at the right time), find a new podcast to listen to, plan out menus/grocery lists for the next week, or (one of my favorites) do a seasonal sort-through of your makeup. (I'm OCD, and I only keep a limited portion of my collection out each month, selected by seasonality. June is shaping up to be lots of sparkles, orange, blue, and pink.)

I agree with Meaganola, you will be so tempted to buy everything in sight! Well I know I will! It's better to limit temptation so you won't have the urge to impulse buy. I nearly did, today but I got my goals in mind !

Thanks, Meaganola and Tinkabella.  At lunch today, I took a long walk in the opposite direction from CVS.  Helped get rid of some stress, always good to have some extra exercise, and I didn't buy any makeup!  A win all around. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ooh, yes, taking a walk away from the problem place is always a good idea. I actually find it more soothing than retail therapy or stress eating most days. Yay!

ok, so i completely went overboard this month so june is a no buy for me...with the exception of my ipsy bag. not to mention my hubby's bday is coming up and i need to be able to get him a gift,lol.

Back