June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up breaking my low-buy plan ON THE VERY FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH.  I had planned on sticking with this list for the entire month:

• One brush (foundation, powder, or blush.  Still trying to decide which)
  • Holika Holika Moisture bb cream
  • maybe concealer (depending on whether I run out of the current tube I'm using)
  • another round of Glamour Doll Eyes sample jars
  • essence Sun-Kissed trend edition (one of the lipsticks, maybe the blush, all three nail polishes, both eye shadows) (Blush is actually on my no-buy list, but essence trend edition blushes are the exception to the no-buy.  The one from the Fruity collection was the one that kicked off my entire blush obsession, and that was the last one I bought -- back in February.  I'm not buying blush every week!  Go, me!  And it was under $4, and including it on this list still keeps the total down under $20.)
  • two bottles of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Sumatran Red Patchouli and maybe a bottle of Scherezade and an imp pack (what they call a sample pack)

I picked up the essence yesterday.  On the up side, I didn't decide that I might as well get the other lipstick and the shimmer powder just to have the whole collection.  On the down side, I also picked up three Rimmel Apocalips glosses and five NYC New York Color Applelicious lip balms.  Next weekend should be better even though it's my non-rent payday weekend because I've got a bunch of time-consuming stuff to do that will not involve me running around town all day stopping here, there, and everywhere picking up just one more gloss, balm, polish, etc.  And sub boxes should start rolling in then, and I am usually really good about not buying stuff when I know things are on the way.  I'll probably end up ordering (well, in the case of the bb cream, walking into the store and buying) everything else on my allowed list, though.

(And now comes the loooong wait until the next essence trend edition, whatever it is!  Those are always on my exception-to-no-buy list, although I'm not always interested in something from every collection.  The Cherry Blossom collection was particularly disappointing.  Nothing was cherry blossom-colored, and everything was too warm for me!  I wish I were more motivated and would get around to tracking down someone in another country where they get *every* TE so I could get some CP going on there and COLLECT THEM ALL!, but I'm a procrastinator, plus there's just something about buying this stuff RIGHT THEN AND THERE that appeals to me more.)

Its okay Meaganola, it happens to the best of us! Did you have a limit amount or product amount? That is a good list, unfortunately I didn't make one. Im not good at sticking to lists; so that goes to show you were really committed to your goals, and you should be commended for that! I totally understand where your coming from, I rarely online shop. I like the here and now type of thing also the self satisfaction of grabbing the last item before the next person! Btw, which colors did you in the collection!

P.s. I am already off to a bad start! I just snatched up 3 polishes from a great indie maker. I've been waiting for her summer collection and restock, missed my biggest lemming, but got three others. Yikes.. I also caved and finally purchased an Enchanted polish for $25.. most I've ever paid for a single polish. I haven't had a makeup buying bug, it's been nail polish. A good note, I did sell 4 polishes I never wear/use, so that's a plus right?

I'm in! Continuing my low-buy. May was pretty meh in terms of low-buy success, so I'm hoping June will be better.

I'm trying to keep all make-up and skincare purchases to a minimum this month. There are four things I especially want to concentrate on:

1) resisting the temptation to buy my guilty pleasures (lipgloss and lipstick)

2) using up mineral eyeshadow samples and

3) finishing MAC Sheen Supreme in Bare Again (such a great nude, I'm going to miss it but I want to work through my stash of lip products before replacing it)

4) getting as close to finishing up MAC Viva Glam V lipglass as possible. I'm only about halfway through it so I'm not getting my hopes up about actually finishing it. Not sure how long it usually takes to finish a lipglass... Any ideas?

Does anyone else have specific goals for June? 
smile.gif

P.S. meaganola, don't worry! It happens to all of us. Just keep to your low-buy for the rest of the month and try to concentrate on your successes, i.e. what you have achieved instead of where you failed. 

Good luck, everyone!
yey.gif

Thanks MissLindaJean, for the edit! That totally counts as a plus that you sold some that you didn't wear/use. My main goal of my low/ no buys and use up's is that im trying to be more frugal! As long im not being wasteful then I feel a sense accomplishment; weather im selling it or giving stuff away, someone is putting it to good use which I find really awesome! So dont beat yourselves up if you dont make your goals, I dough I'm gonna stick to my goal this month!

Thanks MissLindaJean, for the edit! That totally counts as a plus that you sold some that you didn't wear/use. My main goal of my low/ no buys and use up's is that im trying to be more frugal! As long im not being wasteful then I feel a sense accomplishment; weather im selling it or giving stuff away, someone is putting it to good use which I find really awesome! So dont beat yourselves up if you dont make your goals, I dough I'm gonna stick to my goal this month!
For sure! I think I'm pretty content with my little makeup collection. I've got enough palettes to play with and a handful of blushes and other things I'm repeatedly reaching for. Just this horrific obsession to buy up nail polish! I Will have to set a # limit on how many I buy. Really just stick with it, but restock and new releases are killing me!

Guys, glitter-a-peel is in stock on etsy. Talk me out of it. I don't need a peely base coat.  If I save up that money I can spend it on the DDO expansion. It'd just be so convenient.

Originally Posted by Tinkabella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mellee, I totally understand your dilemma. I cant really decide on what I'm even going to buy! If I get the urban decay eyeliner thats $19 plus 2 apocalips by rimmel london, thats already $29! On three items, the horror!

I must spend wisely!
It really does add up so stinkin' fast, even when you think, "I'll just keep myself to a few little things..."!

And thanks!  =)  The ethnic cooking is fun, and gives me something to think about other than makeup-buying!

Guys, glitter-a-peel is in stock on etsy. Talk me out of it. I don't need a peely base coat.  If I save up that money I can spend it on the DDO expansion. It'd just be so convenient.
I would actually disagree with not needing a peely base coat. You definitely do! But! essence has one for three bucks a pop that works wonderfully. You can also DIY with Elmer's (or any comparable school-type) glue.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Essence has one for three bucks a pop that works wonderfully. You can also DIY with Elmer's (or any comparable school-type) glue.
Essence has one? Good to know. That fits into my budget much better. Thank you!

Essence has one? Good to know. That fits into my budget much better. Thank you!
This is it:
It seems like it's usually near knee-level on the display near the other top coats. Can you tell I spend a lot of time examining the essence displays to see what's new?

Hey Mauu, those are such good goals! My goals for this month are: 1) Try to use up as much Shampoo/Conditioner, I have this habit of just buying so much of it. 2) Sort through my makeup collection either sell, give away, or toss some items! Yikes! Thats all right now it sucks that I only have 2, lol. Meaganola, I actually dont have a peel off base, but I want to know is is important to have in your nail collection?

Peel-off base is a good thing to have if you wear a lot of glitter polishes. Instead of basically soaking your nails in polish remover to get all of the sparkles off, you just scrape/peel it off, and you're done in a couple of minutes instead of fifteen. Even the removers people swear just whisk glitter off don't work for me. Peel-off bases are the fastest way for me to de-sparkle. But if you're not a glitter freak, I don't think there is any need to have it.

I love polish with hearts but maybe not buying a peel off base will discourage me from buying more.

Meaganola, I guess I need that in my arsenal! Lol MissLindaJean, I totally understand. I fell in love with Essie's Summer 2013 Collection! Yep, I went and got it also. Mellee, It does, it does ,it really does! Lol my first every makeup trip, I didn't even have the basic so the clerk at MAC really had a nice time with me! Uqh, the amount of money spent that day!

Hey, I don't feel as guilty as I did anymore! I just realized that I had planned on getting every single China Glaze holo in the new collection, but then once I actually saw them, I ended up getting precisely zero! And I keep seeing them and not buying them. Yay!

I'm not letting myself buy ANYTHING beauty related until my first paycheck. I've just come off from a month of not working -- I quit my job before finals/graduation around the beginning of May and I start my new job tomorrow! It's been pretty tight considering how money seems to fly away when having a bunch of "one last night in town" outings with friends. I also spent a lot of money getting the rest of the stuff for my apartment (it was fully furnished but that first target run and first grocery run is always heavy when getting essentials). I've just moved to the Nashville-area so of course my boyfriend and I spent the whole weekend spending money going out! I'm going to try to hold out for the month of June and limit myself to 5 items. I don't *need* anything so I might be okay! (Oh I do need brushes. That doesn't count though.)

Back