Kat Von D's Makeup Line -What Is Your Feedback?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've swatched the foundation and it is way too thick for me, but I have heard a lot of people who have marks, acne scars, dark circles etc really like it. I have an eyeshadow palette of hers (I forget the name of the palette but there are 3 shades of green and that colorway is called Helmut) and I really like it a lot for colorful looks. I have a lot of eyeshadows that look colorful in the pan but the color doesn't stick. I always use Benefit Stay Don't Stray with any eyeshadow, so keep that in mind. I haven't tried Kat Von D with any other primer or without primer. I will definitely buy Kat Von D eyeshadow in the future. Overall I would say it's definitely not a brand for a "natural" look but worth checking out if you like to do fun looks or have acne scars etc.

I have only swatched her eyeshadows and am not a big fan but I love the tattoo eyeliner, it stays put super well for a nice, winged cat eye look. I like the foundation for cover up as it is super rich and thick and covers well but not for my overall face. I also do think that her lipstick colors are very nmice and stay well. The funny thing is that I am not a fan of Kat Von D herself.

I have only swatched her eyeshadows and am not a big fan but I love the tattoo eyeliner, it stays put super well for a nice, winged cat eye look. I like the foundation for cover up as it is super rich and thick and covers well but not for my overall face. I also do think that her lipstick colors are very nmice and stay well. The funny thing is that I am not a fan of Kat Von D herself.
I'm the same way, I actually don't like her at all, but so far I'm impressed with the makeup

She's a little odd, and her makeup look is not really something I would want to recreate on myself on a regular basis. But I got the Poetica palette for my sister for Christmas and was looking up YouTube videos on looks that people did, and it's amazing the wide variety of looks you can do with it.

I have 6 of her old palettes (like Ludwig and Beethoven) and while the shadows are pretty good they almost all came with a cream shadow that dried up within weeks of buying the palettes...that always bugged me. But I also just got the spellbinding palette and the shadows are so-so..I'm just not fond of how there is only one matte in the whole palette :/ I'm dying to try her lipsticks though and that tattoo concealer. I have quite a few tattoos so I'm curious to see if it actually does hide them :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Love the tattoo liner. I like her foundation, but unfortunately it breaks me out like crazy.

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have 6 of her old palettes (like Ludwig and Beethoven) and while the shadows are pretty good they almost all came with a cream shadow that dried up within weeks of buying the palettes...that always bugged me. But I also just got the spellbinding palette and the shadows are so-so..I'm just not fond of how there is only one matte in the whole palette :/ I'm dying to try her lipsticks though and that tattoo concealer. I have quite a few tattoos so I'm curious to see if it actually does hide them :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I've used it to hide my very black and thick tattoos, but I also combined it with a white (and once with a pink-toned) liner. The whole process is time consuming when you're tatted up lol. But, it definitely covered mine! I think there's a how-to video somewhere on youtube regarding it.

I'm dying to try her lipsticks though and that tattoo concealer. I have quite a few tattoos so I'm curious to see if it actually does hide them :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I only have a couple of tattoos and I purposely got them in places that could easily be covered by clothing if needed. But I think it's kind of interesting/odd that Kat Von D sells tattoo cover up when she is a tattoo artist. Is that normal?

@akritenbrink I also chose spots I can cover easier but I have writing on my shoulders for example and could imagine to want to cover up the writing for certain events. Doesn't mean I don't like them, I am very proud of my tattoos, but I might not like them with certain outfits. I also have a few sweaters with a widerneck and would have to cover them at work. I know that is not the case for her but I am sure she knows there are tons of people who either regret theirs or have to cover it for work. Great way to make money.

The only thing I have tried from her is the Lock It foundation. It's my HG! I used to use ColorStay but Lock It blows it out of the water and is worth the price.

For me, it is a so/so line.  I'm not really into it.  I used to like the lolita lipstick when it first came out but there are several dupes for it out there so it wasn't really worth it for me.  Plus, I kind of have a hard time getting into makeup lines that are made by people who aren't makeup artists or have experience in the field... kind of silly I know, esp. because they probably only pick colors and names and not actually formulate anything but I just think it is weird that the Kardashians, Selma Hayak, and others have makeup lines... I question the quality because it seems like a trend thing to me and not something that would require a lot of care and effort.  Like they would be selling us so/so makeup for a higher price because some reality star's face was stuck on it.

I'm glad I've found this thread. I have been wanting to purchase from this line for a long time, but I'm no where near a Sephora so I hate ordering without seeing reviews. I have been eyeing the blush for a long time, does any one have reviews for that?

I'm mostly drawn to this line because I have 9 tattoos covering most of my arm with more to add and anything from a tattoo artist or involving tattoos I will just jump over it so this line really excites me but my wallet has kept me from buying it all.

Quote: Originally Posted by akritenbrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only have a couple of tattoos and I purposely got them in places that could easily be covered by clothing if needed. But I think it's kind of interesting/odd that Kat Von D sells tattoo cover up when she is a tattoo artist. Is that normal?
I have almost a full sleeve so I can only cover mine up with clothing lol. I love my tattoos but I have to think that a concealer that can cover a tattoo can definitely cover some acne and dark circles 
rocknroll2.gif

In regards to the thread, I recently picked up the Spellbinding Eyeshadow Book and it's great an all but I think there's only ONE matte shade in the whole palette 
eusa_naughty.gif

I got one of the lipsticks (the foiled ones) last week and while I love the color, I have to apply a bit of lip balm first, because it's so dry

Just won a bid war on eBay for her Spellbinding palette since it's OOS @Sephora.  I'm hoping it's worth it since it got such great reviews online.  I also just ordered her matte palette that she just came out with.  I'm normally a Too Faced girl (hehe, no pun intended) but I also love matte eye shadows and figured it was time to try something different.  Hopefully all goes well.

@akritenbrink  I also chose spots I can cover easier but I have writing on my shoulders for example and could imagine to want to cover up the writing for certain events. Doesn't mean I don't like them, I am very proud of my tattoos, but I might not like them with certain outfits. I also have a few sweaters with a widerneck and would have to cover them at work. I know that is not the case for her but I am sure she knows there are tons of people who either regret theirs or have to cover it for work. Great way to make money.
Yeah, it makes sense to me, but I am not a die-hard tattoo person. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I heard that this line is produced by Sephora. Is that true? Is the makeup (the actual formulation) different than the Sephora Collection line or, say, the Pantone line except for the packaging?

I own her eyeliners and her poetica eyeshadow palette. They are all great products. I especially love her eyeshadows. All are very pigmented unique colors that last throughout the day.

I have nothing but praise for Kat Von D's makeup line. One of the absolute best eye shadow pallets I own is the Kat Von D Saint Pallet. The colors and formulations are perfect for me. Very long lasting and look so pretty. I have probably 40-50 pallets; tons of Urban Decay and Too Faced and all sorts of other stuff but the Saint pallet has got to be in my top 3 ever. A couple of years ago the pallets were kind of different and contained 1 or 2 cream shadows, those were terrible and like someone else mentioned were always dried up. I think this year I am just going to take the plunge and get rid if those pallets. But the new pallets are great. The tattoo (liquid) eyeliner is my HG. I have been using it for a while, it is very pigmented and long lasting. I have oily and watery eyes and this stuff stays on all day (and night if needed). I also have the autograph pencil eyeliners . I rarely wear pencil eyeliner anymore, but these are pretty good and worth a try for those who do wear pencil eyeliner. I have a bunch of Kat Von D lipsticks, I have bought the set of minis got the past 4-5 years so I have about 30 of them. They are not my HG but I do like them. Backstage Bambi was my fave lippy for about a year. I still carry it with me in my purse. I haven't tried anything else but I like everything that I have tried. I have a friend who swears by the Kat Von D foundation and another who loves the Kat Von D concealer. Some of my friends are surprised that I like Kat's stuff because I am nothing like her, but if a product is good it is good! I totally recommend this line.

I only own the Ladybird palette and I LOVE it. Out of all of my eye shadows this gets the most use because it's an all matte and richly pigmented palette.

Back