Make-Up Brands that my Derm told me to avoid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, it is a trial and error thing. I know I can't use StudioFix, Maybelline Pure Makeup, and Fashion Fair. But I am looking into Prescriptives, Bobbie Brown, some other mineral makeup lines, and NARS. I hope they offer a weeks worth of free samples or just samples period.

I agree that it all depends on the individual. Clinique broke me out and made my skin feel greasy whenever I wore it. And some people use it with no problems.

Originally Posted by anne7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree that it all depends on the individual. Clinique broke me out and made my skin feel greasy whenever I wore it. And some people use it with no problems. Me too! Clinique made my combo skin oily, and the foundation slid around all day.
The only MAC foundation I have a problem with is Hyperreal. I can use Studio Tech and Studio Fix with no problems.

This just goes to show how each of us is a real individual!

I tried a sample of Mac's face lotion, and I had a reaction to it. I think it had cucumber in it - my cheeks got really red. I use StudioFix daily and MoisureCover in the winter. I still prefer the Mac over the EveryDay Minerals I tried.

Normally, I don't have very sensitive skin like many of my friends do.

Maybe he/she meant 15 yrs ago?

Mary Kay is the only product thta got rid of my pimples.. and I can say thta I have the most beautiful skin from MK face cleanser and I dont wear foundation! ever!!

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow! Mary Kay? Did he say why in specifically these brands?

I would have to say I'm not surprised, my skin was flawless before I started using Lancome, and then over 6 months it just deteriorated and 2 years later, I suddenly have acne problem where I never had before. I now completely switched off those brands and only use mineral makeup. Hopefully this will get my skin back to the way it used to be. Although now I have tons of acne scars that will take forever to heal.

My dermatologist said that its different for each person. But yes, I had a very very very nasty allergy reaction to lancome
frown.gif
its all gone now though, but took like maybe 2 weeks to be able to wear just powder!

Interesting. My derm told me to "avoid makeup" in general! lol...I told him he must be kidding. But I do agree it's different for each individual, Clinique did not work for me!

Isn't it interesting that so many people have reactions to brands that are really expensive as well as drug store brands? I think there's some truth to the avoid makeup in general advice. Sigh, if only I looked like Angelina Jolie...

I'm serious, imagine what it would be like to wake up every morning and look hot like that? Or better yet, wake up next to Brad Pitt!

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif great thread! i do think it's trial and error, though, for each person! I agree, great info!

i guess there's some truth in it because i wanted to try l'oréal (accord parfait) and my foundation gave me acne and dried my cheeks, i'm so pissed i spent money on a foundation i can't wear (this was my perfect match for skin color
scared.gif
).

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow! Mary Kay? Did he say why in specifically these brands? WOW well, they are talking about make up right? Because my husband had acne when he was younger and MK cleared his face nicely. Now I can't believe him he had acne.

I agree it depends on the person and their skin type. I love Lancome.

thanks for sharing...just wanna know if anybody has the same problem with Estee Lauder?am currently using Ideal Matte which is cream to powder foundation..love mineral makeup but think this one has more coverage...please help

I am liking MAC studio fix right now, been using it for like 2 weeks, I am just wondering why it is bad and what it has done to other peoples skin.. it has not broken me out yet, but i am now wondering.. i dont have horrible skin.. not the best, but it is sooo hard to find a GREAT coverage foundation that i like,, that does not break me out.. i dont know, any suggestions?

Each person is unique, and so it would make sense that some of the brands may work for one and then not for another. Personally I use certain items from a wide variety of brands, and have been pleased with most of them - some of these items even came from the brands this specific dermatologist sided against.

I guess part of what makes makeup fun is being able to experiment with it, and all the different available brands out there.

Back