Make up for tan skinned girls?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
2
Hi there!

I am 'bluebird' from Ne, and my skin has medium, medium dark complexion (NC44), Is there any recommendations for what color makeup to use? I have dark eyes and my hair is dark with some caramel highlights. I don't seem to get out of my brown and pinkish shades and I'm even more scared to try new lipstick colors...I like 'O' by mac but I would like to try something else different? so they can actually tell I AM wearing lipstick..lol

P.S

Charmaine and Tony...Thank you for ur help!

 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
I'm similar coloring to you... I'm an NC42. (Brown hair/eyes) I like the Viva Glam V lipstick - it's light, but you see the pink. I like browns myself, but I'm also getting into blues and greens/aquas












 

Liz

Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
2
i think gold and bronzey colors look great on tan skin!

check out trisha's fotd pics. she has medium/dark skin and lots of things look pretty on her. it just depends on your comfort level when using bright colors.

as far as lippies, maybe something that is "your lips but better"

i know viva glam v is a great color that a lot of people like. or pink apertiff which may be a tad lighter than viva glam v.

 

Liz

Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I'm similar coloring to you... I'm an NC42. (Brown hair/eyes) I like the Viva Glam V lipstick - it's light, but you see the pink. I like browns myself, but I'm also getting into blues and greens/aquas
lol. we posted at the same time and recommended vgv!!
 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Liz lol. we posted at the same time and recommended vgv!!
Great minds think alike! lmao
 
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
With your coloring you can pull off so many different looks!

Bronzer: MAC Bronzer in "Matte Bronze" or "Refined Beyond Bronze" if you're a bit darker.

Eyeshadow: I agree with Charmaine on the gold and bronze eyeshadows-- check out MAC e/s in "Amber Lights" and "Bronze" (there are many others too!)

For a more dramatic look, try a deep sparkly navy blue eyeshadow (MAC e/s in "Contrast" is really good for this).

Eyeliner: MAC "Smolder" pencil is a must-have! Great for smoky eyes. "Teddy" is a nice deep brown.

Lipsticks: I agree w/ everyone on VGV...a perfect neutral pink. Other shades I like are "La Mode" (coral pink), and "Fine n' Dandy" (another coral shade, a bit deeper and brighter).

Just some suggestions...hope I helped
!

 
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I'm similar coloring to you... I'm an NC42. (Brown hair/eyes) I like the Viva Glam V lipstick - it's light, but you see the pink. I like browns myself, but I'm also getting into blues and greens/aquas
Hi,
Yeah, I 've been trying to get into other colors like green and blue too, the green I've got though didn't work for me at all (Smokey Green-MAC), what's that green ur wearing on that picture, it looks great on you...


 
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
2
Eye shadow : As there is less contrast for colour, dark skins can carry bright vivid colours well. For evenings gold/copper look very good. Black/brown/navy blue eye pencil and kohl is best suited.
Lipsticks : Dark skins look exotic with bright punchy flames and fuchsias and bright reds.

Thank you Charmaine! Since I dont have a blue eye pencil, I've been using a blue eyeshadow (true blue-mac) what do u think?
 
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am similar in coloring (MAC NC43, Lancome color ID III-10) and I stick pretty strictly to earthy colors. It's amazing what happens when you choose the right colors! Long ago, I was into pinks and purples and then I had this epiphany that they didn't wear well on me; they looked garish and made my skin look sick. I started going toward earth tones, "boring" colors by most peoples' standards. I wear:

green/olive:

MAC velvet moss shadow, Maybelline cool effect liner in cold cash, Prescriptives Khaki eyeliner

red/coral:

Revlon colorstay constantly coral, MAC pigments(dusty coral, electric coral, bright coral), Nars gloss in Babe, or any tomato or brick red

any oranges, pumpkins, russets (Estee's pure pops gloss in sugar pie)

any warm metallics (bronze, copper, gold)

I rarely wear blues, pinks or purples but when I have that urge I choose ones that are on the warmer side of their spectrums such as MAC eyeshadow in melody (a turquoise), any coral pink, and burgundies or raisin shades like Cover Girl lipliner in Burgundy velvet and Revlon colorstay lipstick in Stay Currant. It's an awesome burgundy.

MAC has that mineralize powder in a color called Gold Deposit. Awesome wet or dry! I use it as eye shadow, bronzer, blush. Speaking of blush, Mary Kay has one called maple walnut which is pretty. Also, any color that is spice or chocolate is a no fail. Just don't go too light or too bright in any color. I hope that helps.


Pam

spamela74

 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bluebird26 Hi,
Yeah, I 've been trying to get into other colors like green and blue too, the green I've got though didn't work for me at all (Smokey Green-MAC), what's that green ur wearing on that picture, it looks great on you...


Ummm... the full face pics were a blue shadow... the one of just the eyes was MAC Guacamole.
(with MAC Llama on the inner lid, and MAC Tealo Powerpoint liner)
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by ikebana With your coloring you can pull off so many different looks!
Bronzer: MAC Bronzer in "Matte Bronze" or "Refined Beyond Bronze" if you're a bit darker.

Eyeshadow: I agree with Charmaine on the gold and bronze eyeshadows-- check out MAC e/s in "Amber Lights" and "Bronze" (there are many others too!)

For a more dramatic look, try a deep sparkly navy blue eyeshadow (MAC e/s in "Contrast" is really good for this).

Eyeliner: MAC "Smolder" pencil is a must-have! Great for smoky eyes. "Teddy" is a nice deep brown.

Lipsticks: I agree w/ everyone on VGV...a perfect neutral pink. Other shades I like are "La Mode" (coral pink), and "Fine n' Dandy" (another coral shade, a bit deeper and brighter).

Just some suggestions...hope I helped
!

Yesssss, I didn't think I could wear bronzer, lol thank you for ur recommendations


 
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
3,150
Reaction score
2
hey there,

i am nc45, and my sister is nc44 and we wear all colors from blue to green to purple(parrot, cranberry, beauty marked, contrast, fresh water, etc). One of my favorite lipsticks that I just started wearing is midmauve(but my lips are pink. I also like underplay lipstick(nude beige cream color). I also like gingerly, blunt & raizin blush. Some of my favorite glosses are beaux lusterglass, c-thru, oyster girl and dreamy. Here is a pic of my sister so you can see the colors she wore on her eyes. Hope this helps!




 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
3,721
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by devinjhans hey there,
i am nc45, and my sister is nc44 and we wear all colors from blue to green to purple(parrot, cranberry, beauty marked, contrast, fresh water, etc). One of my favorite lipsticks that I just started wearing is midmauve(but my lips are pink. I also like underplay lipstick(nude beige cream color). I also like gingerly, blunt & raizin blush. Some of my favorite glosses are beaux lusterglass, c-thru, oyster girl and dreamy. Here is a pic of my sister so you can see the colors she wore on her eyes. Hope this helps!




Oh, she's pretty, too! The green looks awesome, I like green on dark skin, the contrast is striking. I swear, does great skin run in your family? arghh, no fair
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
3,150
Reaction score
2
thanks anne7, lol u r too funny.
my sister had broken out but she had the dermatologists prescribe accutane and it really help clear her skin.

Originally Posted by anne7 Oh, she's pretty, too! The green looks awesome, I like green on dark skin, the contrast is striking. I swear, does great skin run in your family? arghh, no fair
 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
3,721
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by devinjhans thanks anne7, lol u r too funny.
my sister had broken out but she had the dermatologists prescribe accutane and it really help clear her skin. I wanted my doc to prescribe that to me when I was breaking out like crazy last year, but he said that my skin wasn't near bad enough to need it, but I think things like that always look the worst to you, when other people are like, what are you talking about? Oh, well, I think I have found a good combo (2% salicylic acid toner with benzoyl peroxide 2.5%) Still, I have heard that people who take accutane never really break out afterwards, so that might have been responsible for some of the allure of it! Well, i am a typing rambler today
, but anyways, she looks great, did you do her makeup?
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
3,150
Reaction score
2
yes i did do her makeup. i was practicing a look for the destiny's child concert that came here to houston on august 20. she had bought a shirt from bebe that was white, teal green and blue. so that's why i used the bright colors. i try to get her away from always using neutrals and she liked it.

Originally Posted by anne7 I wanted my doc to prescribe that to me when I was breaking out like crazy last year, but he said that my skin wasn't near bad enough to need it, but I think things like that always look the worst to you, when other people are like, what are you talking about? Oh, well, I think I have found a good combo (2% salicylic acid toner with benzoyl peroxide 2.5%) Still, I have heard that people who take accutane never really break out afterwards, so that might have been responsible for some of the allure of it! Well, i am a typing rambler today
, but anyways, she looks great, did you do her makeup?
 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
3,721
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by devinjhans yes i did do her makeup. i was practicing a look for the destiny's child concert that came here to houston on august 20. she had bought a shirt from bebe that was white, teal green and blue. so that's why i used the bright colors. i try to get her away from always using neutrals and she liked it. I know how that is, I buy colors with good intentions, but always fall back on my shimmery browns and champagnes... I'll try to practice with some of my colors this weekend, since I think I would like them more if I had a cleaner application, its a work in progress...hey, my great uncle lives in Houston, too!
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
3,150
Reaction score
2
yeah it's pretty crazy out here right now with everything that happened with hurricane katrina, but i know it will be fine. on another note, test out the colors on yourself that you thought you never would, you will be amazed at what you like that you thought you wouldn't.

Originally Posted by anne7 I know how that is, I buy colors with good intentions, but always fall back on my shimmery browns and champagnes... I'll try to practice with some of my colors this weekend, since I think I would like them more if I had a cleaner application, its a work in progress...hey, my great uncle lives in Houston, too!
 
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
2,230
Reaction score
0
I like the idea of earthy colors on darker skin!!
Janelle definitely proved that colorful shadows can look good on dark skin too though!!

 
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
hi bluebird

try these mac lip colors:

MAC LIP COLORS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
ffice
ffice" /><o
></o
>


<o
></o
>


<o
></o
>

Lipstick, Icon

Shade description: Muted taupe brown with silver shimmer (Frost)<o
></o
>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lipstick, Fetish

Shade description: Intense brown with copper shimmer (Frost)<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lipstick, Mocha

Shade description: Peachy yellow-brown (Satin)<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lipstick, Angel

Shade description: Soft pink (Frost)<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Tinted Lipglass, Oh Baby

Shade description: Golden bronze flecked with sparkling glitter<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lipstick, Diva

Shade description: Intense reddish-burgundy (Matte)<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lipstick, MAC Red

Shade description: Vivid bright bluish-red (Satin)<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lip Pencil, Spice

Shade description: Pink cinnamon stick<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lip Pencil, Chestnut

Shade description: Intense brown<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lip Pencil, Cedar

Shade description: Soft muted pinkish-beige<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Lip Pencil, Mahogany

Shade description: Intense reddish-brown<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif></ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

<ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif> chrasmatic lipstick</ohttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif>

Originally Posted by bluebird26 Hi there!I am 'bluebird' from Ne, and my skin has medium, medium dark complexion (NC44), Is there any recommendations for what color makeup to use? I have dark eyes and my hair is dark with some caramel highlights. I don't seem to get out of my brown and pinkish shades and I'm even more scared to try new lipstick colors...I like 'O' by mac but I would like to try something else different? so they can actually tell I AM wearing lipstick..lol

P.S

Charmaine and Tony...Thank you for ur help!

 

Latest posts

Top