Makeup addiction

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nearly 20% of my net worth is in Makeup 
doh.gif

LMAO I one day will have to take stock on my own items. I know for a fact my nail polish collection - which is either all new (as in not used at all) to semi-new (as in used a few times) - is worth over $1000 retail.

I'm mostly addicted to nail polish and high end lipstick/ gloss. My Tom Ford collection is getting a bit large.

My love of makeup began at the same time as my passion for musical theatre (which was when I was about 7, starting with stage makeup)..to me the two go hand in hand and always have! However, after letting my love for makeup fall to the wayside after getting married, having my daughter, and life in general a girl I used to dance with years ago started a polish/beauty blog (MandysSecrets...it's amazing check it out!), and after reading her first few posts I was hooked on it all over again except even worse than before. Then a few months after that I found MUT (much to my husband's wallets dismay) and now my hobby (not addiction) has gotten so intense that my husband is turning one of our guest bedrooms into a giant closet for me to have a vanity, one whole wall mirror, and enough room for ALL of my stuff! I'm so excited but somehow I think it's going to make this all worse thinking I have to buy enough stuff to fill it all up hahahaha

My addiction started just over a year ago...as a result of my trip to New York!

Honestly, I was always into beauty, makeup, and fashion....

but I was afraid to look good because my  peers, colleagues, and potential clients may think I spend too much time on myself.

things people would say:

"...you look so tall today..." - if I decide to wear heels

"...you look nice...going somewhere?" - if I wore office-y clothes

"...nice makeup..."
icon_frown.gif

"...you look feminine!" - wtf, am I supposed to look like a man?!

I still try to wear as little makeup as possible to interviews and meetings because I feel like I would definitely be judged.

I know I can look attractive, but if I look too good, the people around me may be turned-off by that and judge me harshly.

I badly want to look glamorous, dress up, and look like a star!!! LOL!!! but I only do it on rare occasions.

MAKEUP MAKES ME HAPPY INSIDE! lol

Originally Posted by bronwyn2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I justify my "addiction" with the fact that I will probably become a freelance mu artist....I'm just getting a head start on my future. Yeah. That sounds convincing..

Same as me!!! Hahaha, seriously, my parents keep asking me 'how much money are you spending on makeup??' and in my head I'm just like.... I'm building up my collection for the future!!!!

Originally Posted by BombDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, I can't even remember how it started for me... it was 100% about the time that I joined MuT, which was about two years ago (Omg, I can't believe I've been on here [almost daily] for two years!). I wish I could remember the first high end product that started me on this never ending need to buy everything lol =) 

Make up is totally my outlet though, I'm so glad I found something that really interests me
I agree with you... I genuinely enjoy buying makeup and applying it on myself and others.  It's one thing I really don't mind spending my money on :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was never that into makeup, I just did the basics but then 1 night I couldn't sleep and I started watching random Youtube vids.  I somehow got around to eKore's page and watched every single one of his vids all night long.  Then I stumbled upon this forum and viola..... the obsession began lmao
youtube got me started too :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> do you remember who you first subscribed too? for me, it was dulcecandy

Originally Posted by WiscoMama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i never really thought i had a problem until i decided to organize my items.  i filled what is basically a tacklebox with just eye shadows and eye accessories (with plenty of overflow).  i'm super cheap and typically buy my eye shadows from the dollar store or on super clearance at the drug store, so it's easy to get out of control.  but makeup is the first place i head to.  blues, purples, browns, pinks, even orange.  i just don't care.

i was surfing around on you tube the other night and came across a video that's ~1/2 hour long.  i can't remember whose it was, but OMG.  she has a TON of makeup.  nothing cheap, either.  i'm talking drawers and drawers of MAC and the like.  she had 2 ikea alex 5 drawer units, 1 ikea alex 9 drawer unit, i think 6 tilt down bins of eye liners and lipsticks/pencils, then another 6 or 12 tilt down bins of make up brushes.  4 plastic 3 drawer units.  every last bit was FULL.  i was floored.  then i made my husband watch part of it so he would realize i don't really have all *that* much.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i'm sitting on an elf order at the moment, waiting to get the girl's portion of the order tomorrow.  i almost feel like i'm going to have to start hiding this hobby.
Haha I really don't think it would be a good idea for me to watch that vid... to be honest like I said i'm still a beginner so don't need any MASSIVE storage for the time being.. having said that I am slowly running out of space.  I just did a massive elf shop btw :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> bought 6 new brushes and 5 other random products.. love the eye brushes so far!

Originally Posted by BehindtheLashes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I started around 13-14yo.  My grandmom, mom, and aunt are kinda old fashioned in the sense that you don't leave the house without having your "face" and hair done.  They first introduced me to Mary Kay and from then on I knew I was hooked.  I started collecting books from artists and then started expanding on my collection from there.  I'm new to these forums though but so love the community you ladies have. 
I'm new too, and it's fueling my hobby much more than I would ever have imagined.. haha!

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wanna hear something REALLY sad?

I recently decided it would be a good idea to start writing my will and get home insurance in the event of something happening....I want my family to be taken care of. Well the Finance counselor at Charles Scwaab asked me to go home and write down all my important possessions and their value as well as debt, so I know my net worth and how much to be insured for. This is the jist of it:

Home: 

Value: $32,000

Paid $30,000 cash. No mortgage, no liens, no debt

Car:

Value: $2,000

Paid $1,200 cash. no debt

Chihuahua (Apparently pets count)

Value $1,800

Paid $1,400 cash. no debt

Makeup collection

Value roughly $9,000

Paid roughly $7,000 

Zero credit card debt

Total net worth: $44,800 

Nearly 20% of my net worth is in Makeup 
doh.gif

Now THAT'S a problem........ haha only kidding :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> don't stress out about it! embrace it.  and try not to buy that palette you've been eyeing :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by musingmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My addiction started just over a year ago...as a result of my trip to New York!

Honestly, I was always into beauty, makeup, and fashion....

but I was afraid to look good because my  peers, colleagues, and potential clients may think I spend too much time on myself.

things people would say:

"...you look so tall today..." - if I decide to wear heels

"...you look nice...going somewhere?" - if I wore office-y clothes

"...nice makeup..."
icon_frown.gif

"...you look feminine!" - wtf, am I supposed to look like a man?!

I still try to wear as little makeup as possible to interviews and meetings because I feel like I would definitely be judged.

I know I can look attractive, but if I look too good, the people around me may be turned-off by that and judge me harshly.

I badly want to look glamorous, dress up, and look like a star!!! LOL!!! but I only do it on rare occasions.

MAKEUP MAKES ME HAPPY INSIDE! lol

Every woman loves to doll up and look great! Who cares what your peers say - besides, if they're male then they have NOTHING to complain about, if they're female then it's pure jealousy.  Do what you love!

I've always been into all things beauty and style. I've worked retail for almost four years so I have a massive amount of clothes, but over the past year my makeup collection is slowly growing. I blame my bf for buying me my first UD product because I've been hooked ever since! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Interesting :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I was a little girl, I would always mess around with my moms make up, not in a flattering way..obviously. lol, but the colors have always stood out for me! 

I started when I was 13-14, I used to only really wear blush and mascara. Now, I'm doing the whole thing..powder, eyeshadow, etc. 

During high school, I used to always do my friends' makeup because they liked the way I would do it. So, for dances I would always do my own and my friends'. 

Ever since then, i've been doing friends of friends makeup, and so on. It's always been a hobby of mine, and I enjoy it very much! 

Originally Posted by bronwyn2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I justify my "addiction" with the fact that I will probably become a freelance mu artist....I'm just getting a head start on my future. Yeah. That sounds convincing..

OMG!! this sounds exactly like me! lol.

Ever since highschool Ive loved makeup. I would buy beauty books and read those like crazy. I always knew i wanted to be a makeup artist. Its been my passion for as long as I can remember. My aunt would always go through her makeup bag and give me stuff she didn't want anymore. Then about a year ago I finally decided to do something about it, and went to makeup school... well lets just say that woke my inner makeup beast.. worse than before...( cuz now I feel I can justify everything I buy cuz Im an aspiring mu artist)  Then I got hooked on youtube and it was game over. Since then my collection has grown alot... my new fav's are Urban decay hands down, and bare essentials. I have even fell in love with makeup geek shadows in December. I try to say no,but it isn't working lol. Glad to see Im not the only one out there! Im even going to start makeup youtube videos!

same as me .. always loved makeup, always played around with color, but got into the high-end stuff in my late 40's !! So took me many years before I started using the "pro" stuff.  Been living in Sephora and MAC !! lol..

My makeup addiction started when I was 13 with Avon & then mark. It really hit hard when gurus started getting more well known on youtube & I joined MuT. Sales here, sales there, LE items, new innovative products!!! I started noticing my addiction when I early in 2010 I started frequenting CCO more often. For 3 days in a row I spent the max limit allowed (300 per day). I was averaging ab 200 a week on cosmetics for a few months there. I spent about 9 grand on cosmetics for 2010. I made a resolution to reduce that for 2011 & I did down to 5 grand. My resolution this year is to cut that in half but it's not looking good lol.

In my opinion, it's extremely easy to get carried away in a medium like makeup. No matter how many times a look is done or a concept is thought up, it will never look the same way twice, and everyone can put their own interpretation into a look. I think that's why I became so...over-zealous with purchasing product. I would just look at any product and think to myself "what can I do with this, how can I use it to do something completely different?" When I started working as a pro, I got a lot of free product, or discounted product, yet I *still* managed to spend over half my paycheck on makeup...every time I got paid. I seriously hope that I never end up on one of those extreme hoarder reality shows because people come in my house and fall all over a hill of cosmetics. I can't decide if I would be embarassed that my passionate hobby is so out of control, or blissfully happy because I have so much makeup to play with!

Originally Posted by Jnnlopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've always been into all things beauty and style. I've worked retail for almost four years so I have a massive amount of clothes, but over the past year my makeup collection is slowly growing. I blame my bf for buying me my first UD product because I've been hooked ever since! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II was my first "higher-end" beauty splurge and it was where my buying (& buying & buying & buying) obsession began! Damn their pretty & addicting eyeshadow colors!!!!!!! hahaha

Oh my god, the addiction strikes again... Just ordered a new face primer, and am eyeing up 2 new brushes...... one of them being the Real Techniques stippling brush... I NEED IT!!!!!!!!! My bank account is like wtf??????

I'm also going foundation and powder shopping on monday.  Seriously, what is happening to my life?

Originally Posted by Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm also going foundation and powder shopping on monday.  Seriously, what is happening to my life?

If you need foundation/powder Sephora Collection buildable cover complexion kit is on sale right now for $22. I just ordered it today, and it seems like a pretty good deal. Just passing along. I also "had to" add a nail art sticker kit for $5 that way my order would be over $25, and I could use the promo code: TRY14 and get the 14 skincare sample beauty bag along with the normal 3 samples the order already comes with lol this is why I have a problem.

If you're interested in that kit the link to the thread I started about it is below:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/123162/sephora-collection-buildable-cover-complexion-kit#post_1821371

Oh my god, the addiction strikes again... Just ordered a new face primer, and am eyeing up 2 new brushes...... one of them being the Real Techniques stippling brush... I NEED IT!!!!!!!!! My bank account is like wtf??????
Not to be an enabler but...... I effin love that brush!!!! I've got 3 in rotation & it's the absolute best stippling brush ever. It's firm and big enough for foundation & small and soft enough for blushes & highlighters. Best of all it's completely synthetic so no shedding!

Originally Posted by BreAnnNicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you need foundation/powder Sephora Collection buildable cover complexion kit is on sale right now for $22. I just ordered it today, and it seems like a pretty good deal. Just passing along. I also "had to" add a nail art sticker kit for $5 that way my order would be over $25, and I could use the promo code: TRY14 and get the 14 skincare sample beauty bag along with the normal 3 samples the order already comes with lol this is why I have a problem.

If you're interested in that kit the link to the thread I started about it is below:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/123162/sephora-collection-buildable-cover-complexion-kit#post_1821371
Thanks for that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> BUT I'm kinda worried about the shade not matching.. I usually don't buy coloured face products online..

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not to be an enabler but...... I effin love that brush!!!! I've got 3 in rotation & it's the absolute best stippling brush ever. It's firm and big enough for foundation & small and soft enough for blushes & highlighters. Best of all it's completely synthetic so no shedding!
Haha, no worries, I'm pretty set on buying it so this is just encouragement.  It looks like a wonderful brush :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was actually a bit concerned that it'd be kinda small for applying liquid foundation, but apparently not?

I was pretty bad in highschool.. I had tons of those old Urban Decay shadow pots (the ones that looked like sewer caps, back when they used to have ads like "does pink make you puke?"),  Too Faced, Manic Panic lipsticks.  I never was into the drug store stuff. I was fine with that until I came across MAC in 2006.   I went crazy.. I had to have all pigments, I had every red lipstick in multiples.. and as for the collections.. I was at the MAC store Thursday morning getting first nabs.  And I would get everything I wanted in each collection.  If I wasn't able to make it for a new makeup opening I would send someone with a well researched list of what I wanted them to pick up for me.  I stopped about 2 years ago since I was using so little of what I was buying (and I bought a house).  About a year ago, when I was cleaning my MAC eyeshadow train case I noticed *that smell*.  It hit me pretty hard that this stuff doesn't last forever, and it won't keep and be good as new.  I'll still buy, but I rotate my daily makeup bag more often so I'm using stuff that would normally be long forgotten.  Also, since I have my vanity now, my makeup is more centrally organized and spread out so I could visualize my options better. 

Back