March 2014 No/Low-Buy! Support, Advice, and Free Hugs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saved and photographed my beauty empties one month... but then realized I was contributing to my own anxiety by keeping a bag of trash around!  Now I keep a running list of empties in my iPhone's notepad so I can throw the items out right away, but still see my growing "pile" anytime!  I know a lot of the ladies here do a great job of photographing empties, but it just made me crazy!
I'm replying before reading the whole thread, so maybe someone said this already: Photograph each empty when you finish it. That way you don't have a pile of garbage sitting around but you still have the visual satisfaction!

UGH it's been 4 days and I'm ready to cave. Sephora has a code I want and some points perks I want but I do not need to spend $25 to get the code. Must....resist....I don't need it. I haven't even TOUCHED my order that came in last Thursday. There is nothing I need. Nothing. And "free" sample codes and point perks are not "free" or a good deal if I end up spending $30 to get them. On the plus side, I went to target to pick up some laundry detergent and some stuff for my husband and I didn't buy anything!

I'm also jonesing for a Sephora code but I'm realizing that I don't need to spend that $25, there is truly nothing I need at the moment.  We can do it!!!

edit: This was in reply to @BSquared  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I've been super tempted by some new pretty drugstore makeup but I need to continue my low buy though.

Still allowing Ipsy and Birchbox. Trying to cancel them but it's hard for me to say goodbye, haha.I'm allowing myself to make small purchases to benefit my Scentsy business (stamps, envelopes, molds to make samples, etc).  

I've been sorting through my belongings and trying to part with some things. I'm trying to sell some stuff on local facebook groups for some extra, quick cash! Already sold 2 skirts and a purse that I don't use anymore. I'm sure a lot of things in my closet I could part with! hah.

Count me in!  For Lent I am giving up buying:

* makeup of any kind

* clothing of any kind

* coffee drinks from a drive-up window

This will be difficult.  I was hoping there would be some good Fat Tuesday deals so I could splurge before Ash Wednesday! :)

Also, my husband and I are beginning a friendly weight-loss competition.  We'll see who wins come Easter!  

Count me in!  For Lent I am giving up buying: * makeup of any kind * clothing of any kind * coffee drinks from a drive-up window This will be difficult.  I was hoping there would be some good Fat Tuesday deals so I could splurge before Ash Wednesday! :) Also, my husband and I are beginning a friendly weight-loss competition.  We'll see who wins come Easter!  
Yes, for lent I'm giving up buying any beauty products and I'm giving up sweets. The sweets will probably be harder than the makeup, lol

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, for lent I'm giving up buying any beauty products and I'm giving up sweets. The sweets will probably be harder than the makeup, lol
Seriously!

I placed a Sephora order today, but!  It was just the cotton round pads I needed anyway.  That was it:  Just the rounds.  And samples of things I've already forgotten about, but they were free, so they will be a nice surprise.  And I snagged a point perk sample of an Urban Decay lip gloss I've been thinking about buying in a full-sized version!  I may not like it, but this way, I'm just out points (that I shouldn't have, but that's a whole separate story), not money.  I may place another order once the monthly point perks come out, but it will be another small-dollar one (probably more cotton rounds so I have a backup), so I will change my Sephora allowance from one order to ten dollars to allow for multiple point perk orders.

@meaganola that's really good! That way you still get the satisfaction of new thing to try and a package in the mail, but you didn't spend much/any money.

Went to Kohl's today. Did not buy anything (which may be the first time EVER). Not the cute purse. Not the pretty Lauren Conrad jewelry (on clearance!). Not even a pretty new Easter dress. So proud of myself!!! Congrats to all the other ladies with recent success stories!

Le sigh. The good news from the endodontist: It's not an infection! The bad news: Bone loss resulting from a cyst. On the up side, the entire procedure -- including the part that insurance should pay -- will cost what I had a nasty feeling my out-of-pocket was going to be, and I'm getting some serious drugs for anxiety (my sixtysomething stoner aunt said, "Oh my god, I *love* Halcyon!" when I called her asking for a ride because of what they're giving me) surrounding the procedure. I will almost definitely be allocating extra money for the con now.

I'm so glad to hear that it's not as bad as you thought! Sucks that you still have to have a procedure, but at least it won't cost major cash! Now you can spoil yourself at the con!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been avidly avoiding the no-buy threads well, because I've been wanting to buy. However, I've come to the realization, that I really need to stay off the enabler's thread and stay on this one. So I'm going to do the Lent thing even though I'm a day late. I did make an Ulta purchase (needed some conditioner and a couple of things for the kids) today, so now I'm done. What I can have:

any current subs (no new ones and the skippable ones, I will skip for lent).

only purchase something if I am completely out. (fat chance...I have inventory to last me a year or more).

There...it's out there.

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've been avidly avoiding the no-buy threads well, because I've been wanting to buy. However, I've come to the realization, that I really need to stay off the enabler's thread and stay on this one. So I'm going to do the Lent thing even though I'm a day late. I did make an Ulta purchase (needed some conditioner and a couple of things for the kids) today, so now I'm done. What I can have:

any current subs (no new ones and the skippable ones, I will skip for lent).

only purchase something if I am completely out. (fat chance...I have inventory to last me a year or more).

There...it's out there.
lol you can do it, lady!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 On the up side, the entire procedure -- including the part that insurance should pay -- will cost what I had a nasty feeling my out-of-pocket was going to be...
. I will almost definitely be allocating extra money for the con now.
That is awesome news! I mean, not about having to get the procedure, eugh! But now you don't have to pay out-of-pocket as much, so you get to splurge when the con comes up. You'll have a great time!

---

As for me, in some ways I'm lucky because I'm so darn busy that I can't even think about things I want to purchase, much less go to a store, or even shop online. So, nothing has been tempting me.

I did cancel my ipsy sub, and on the last day of february, I went to Ulta to get my Tier 3 rewards (a free large 'the wet brush' which I LOVE) before it expired, and while I was there, since I cancelled my ipsy, I bought myself a little tube of NYX 'Lala' lipstick for $3.99. I love it!

So, I'm continuing my no-buy for March. In April, I'm going for a long weekend in Chicago, and am so excited! Oh it'll be so fun! I don't plan to buy anything while there, but I need to see if there are any clothing items I need to get before traveling. Also, I will have to pay for the hotel (already paid for the flight) and meals, and any museums or shows I go to, obviously. I'm looking forward to it so much!

So, I feel good about my no-buy this month, so far, even though it's only the 6th!

Let's all keep up the good work, and fight the good fight! W-I-L-L-P-O-W-E-R FTW!!!!!

i failed horribly! just bought the all i want for christmas kit from too faced. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :( :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i wanted it ever since it came out but never got around to picking it up! tomorrow is a new day, right?

also, i hope people think its funny that i'm in the enablers club and in the no/low buy club lol. oooops. i feel like my wallet would've been much happier if i never discovered MUT at all!

guys....... i canceled my target beauty box! i feel so proud of myself! LOL i really don't need it and even if it's only $5, it's just going to be $5 of crap i don't need.....so yeah. i had to call to cancel my order, and it took 2 days to receive the confirmation for my order cancellation. yay!! i'm also in sell-sell-sell mode at ebay, i'm at $220 so far for march. i ran out of shampoo this morning, but i'm not repurchasing yet. instead, i'm gonna use my shampoo samples, and maybe try out the philosophy 3-in-1 as shampoo (i have the giant bottle, as well as a smaller 8 oz one)! i love that my stash is looking pretty reasonable now! i have 2 things that i truly want/need that i'll buy this month..but i don't feel any rush. i feel pretty successful with my goals..and now, i can channel my resources (i.e. money) to other more important stuff (like my trip to the philippines this december)!

the only thing i bought this month so far is a makeup book (about face by scott barnes, which i got from ebay for less than $8)...i wish i don't buy so much donuts at dunkin so i can save even more..haha but really, it doesn't matter. the point is that i spend much much much less in makeup now!

smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  guys....... i canceled my target beauty box! i feel so proud of myself! LOL i really don't need it and even if it's only $5, it's just going to be $5 of crap i don't need.....so yeah. i had to call to cancel my order, and it took 2 days to receive the confirmation for my order cancellation. yay!! i'm also in sell-sell-sell mode at ebay, i'm at $220 so far for march. i ran out of shampoo this morning, but i'm not repurchasing yet. instead, i'm gonna use my shampoo samples, and maybe try out the philosophy 3-in-1 as shampoo (i have the giant bottle, as well as a smaller 8 oz one)! i love that my stash is looking pretty reasonable now! i have 2 things that i truly want/need that i'll buy this month..but i don't feel any rush. i feel pretty successful with my goals..and now, i can channel my resources (i.e. money) to other more important stuff (like my trip to the philippines this december)!

the only thing i bought this month so far is a makeup book (about face by scott barnes, which i got from ebay for less than $8)...i wish i don't buy so much donuts at dunkin so i can save even more..haha but really, it doesn't matter. the point is that i spend much much much less in makeup now!

smile.gif

That is awesome!  Congratulations!  It is such a good idea to use up your samples before purchasing something full-size.  I need to start doing this too!

Here's an article I came across today that might be motivational! (Ironically, I had to buy a Pinboard account so I could start hoarding webdev/design links which is why I found it).

http://lifehacker.com/why-were-so-materialistic-even-though-it-doesnt-make-1486081424

Quote:  We tend to equate buying things with positive emotions. Subsequently, we think that purchasing new stuff makes us happy. It's a pretty clear correlation.    [...]   The big problem here isn't just that we're a little bummed out when someone else has more stuff than we do. It's that when we put a lot of emphasis on materialistic value, we're prone to depression, personality disorders, and more.    [...]   We all make the mistake of believing that the more money and stuff we have, the happier we'll be. We're all prone to comparing what we have to what our friends and family have, and then worrying about how those objects might reflect on us as people. Unfortunately, that's just a recipe for anxiety, depression, and unhappiness. There's no real trick to preventing yourself from getting caught up in these materialistic values, but it's always good to keep these ideas in the back of your mind when you're out shopping.

A few addendums for the month: A waxing appointment Saturday and the entire GDE Spring Fling collection on the 20th. I've decided I would like to see what my brows look like if they are actually handled by a professional even though I recently had someone stare at me in disbelief when I said that I've never had them done (I think it boils down to really wanting a nice, defined arch for once), and I forgot to put the lip/chin wax (because I *really* need to get back on that train) on my allowed list for the month. It has to happen this weekend because it sure as hell can't happen after the surgery. And I just remembered that I may actually have some money hidden away in a flexible spending account -- specifically for health care -- with a former employer that I haven't touched since I left that company in 2008. It would more than cover this procedure. I just have to figure out where it is (that is, which company it's with) and how to access it. I think the GDE collection was already on the allowed list, but I got a card today outlining what's going to be in there, and it's going to be a whole lot more stuff than I had originally expected, but I'm obsessed, so it's all coming to me once it goes on sale!

Back