March 2014 No/Low-Buy! Support, Advice, and Free Hugs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent $ today. But, I really desperately needed a new pair of black jeans, since my other pair ripped, so I'm happy I found a nice comfortable pair! I also bought two black men's v-necks from H&M since those are the only v-necks that I love to wear.

I bought a "Tangle Teezer" style brush today at TJ Maxx.  It's not entirely for me, I have a 4-year-old that screams like a banshee every time I brush his hair.  This one was from the brand "D-Tangler" and was $4.99. I already used it and only got a few mild "ow" sounds!!! I'm in love!

So it can either count toward my March budget, since I had over $5 left, or not.  Either way I'm still successful for March!!! Wheeeeeee!!!

What I did not buy from Sephora today for chic week Occ lip tars in pris, Hollywood and pleasure model. I have lip tars, I have a metallic white one (iced) that can be mixed with my other colors to approximate these colors. Hell the darn things are meant to be mixed. 2 hourglass ambient lighting powders. I swatched them before and they were ok but the lighting in my sephora Is terrible and I'm not spending that kind of Money if I'm not sure. And 15% really isn't that great a discount. Yay me, I guess the hospital bills scared me straight with respect to my no buy :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What I did not buy from Sephora today for chic week Occ lip tars in pris, Hollywood and pleasure model. I have lip tars, I have a metallic white one (iced) that can be mixed with my other colors to approximate these colors. Hell the darn things are meant to be mixed. 2 hourglass ambient lighting powders. I swatched them before and they were ok but the lighting in my sephora Is terrible and I'm not spending that kind of Money if I'm not sure. And 15% really isn't that great a discount. Yay me, I guess the hospital bills scared me straight with respect to my no buy :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Congratulations. Keep It Up. You Can Do It.

I really like the idea that some of you are doing: Posting about things you resisted. I think this is just as important as posting things that you did not resist. It's awesome, and I think it's inspirational and willpower-muscle flexing! Good job! And Great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ok in the interest of holding myself accountable, I'm going to do what someone did last month  (I think maybe @eastofthesun maybe?) and summarize my month. I need to start planning for next month and this will help me see the light, so to speak. I have 2 orders coming in today and tomorrow so I won't buy anything before the end of the month. I'm not including chic-week purchases on Sunday because that was allowed on my no-buy and planned out. Purchases for the month:

1. Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara: $10.

Was it necessary? On the fence with this. On the one hand, I do have mascara. On the other hand, I do not have any unopened backup mascaras, and it was a good price. I don't feel too bad about this one.

2. Nyx butter gloss x2: $8.99 total (at BOGO50%OFF)

Was it necessary:  NOPE. Frivolous purchase. Although I love these, I have enough lipgloss to last me until I'm 300 years old, at least.

3. Maybelline Color Tattoo x2: $10.50 total (at BOGO 50% off)

Was it necessary: NOPE. Same eyeshadow situation as lipgloss and I don't even like them that much.

4. BH Galaxy Chic set--got the eye pallete, a blending brush, a thing of glitter, and a pair of falsies. $22.

Was it necessary: NOPE. See above. I really like the eyeshadows though. The brush works. Won't use the other 2.

5. Nails Inc glitter polish: $5

Was it necessary: NOPE. See eyshadow and lipgloss comments.

6. Zoya Nail polish: $8

Was it necessary: NOPE. It's cute though and I don't own a color like it. I'm not OVERLY upset about that one.

7. Orly Nail Polish: $4.99 on clearance

Was it necessary: NOPE. And the color's not even that cute.

8. Tarte try-it kit with maricuja eye cream and oil samples. $10

Was it necessary: ehhhhh I don't feel TOO bad about this either. I"m looking for an eye cream and I thought spending $10 to try it out before shelling out for the full size, and getting an oil I know I'll use in additon isn't too bad.

TOTAL FOR THE MONTH:  $79.48. Ok so that's not AWFUL when I add it up, but of that amount, only $28 of it was something I really truly hold no remorse for buying. So that's $50 I could have saved!!! Here's to April being a big fat zero! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hehehe, I'm so glad you're continuing this! It really helped me last month think about how I did. I'm going to do this again this month!!! Also, although you aren't happy with the outcome, maybe it'll help you next month. You can do better in April!

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @eastofthesun that is an adorable collection!!!! wooooow!! also, i'm considering withdrawing my money from the bank, and keep it in a pouch at home. haha! that way i can't spend it online. i don't usually shop in store.
Thanks saku! Hehehe, I love it and at the time it was my big-time hobby, but right now I'm not into them, and I think it's time to sell the bulk of them off.

I am the same way, I don't use cash very often or shop in store, so taking some money out may be good- the only problem is you wont' get any interest, but if you know that and you don't mind, and you know it'll help you keep from spending, then it's a good idea!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by katcole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awwww nothing like a good pair of gel shoe inserts.I have to stop looking at blogs etc.I had to buy the new Herbal essence cleasener conditioner ,love love love,heard it was a dupe for Wen.And some fancy brightner toothpaste from Crest.I also am back into buying arts and craft supplies.I met my insurance dectable so yeaaaaa my health bills are lower each month now.
Aww yeah, the gel inserts rock my world! Hehehe.

Awesome about meeting your insurance deductible!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm doing so well this month!  My only beauty purchases that I actually bought* are a Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle and a TokyoMilk lip balm in Salted Caramel.  Both total under $15, so I'm nowhere near my $25 splurge budget!   I'm very proud of myself for not buying any eyeshadow, perfume, or other makeup.  This is the first month that I've managed to stay within my splurge budget.  I've been very inspired by the all the success stories on here this month.  The end of the month is always hard for me (seems like a lot of deals are sent out in the last few days), so I'm trying to stay strong!  If I see a deal posted in the Enablers thread, or in my email, I will do my best to come here to be talked down before committing to a purchase.

*I bought a few items at Ulta earlier this month, but they were necessary (new primer and makeup sponges), and I had a gift card to cover the cost, so I say they don't count!

Some of the purchases I resisted this month:

-ModCloth $10 surprise sale

-Sephora 5 samples with purchase

-A second TokyoMilk balm (I wanted La Vie En Rose, too, but I decided I want to smell this before purchasing)

-A trip to Target with a long stroll through the beauty section.  SO MANY items went into my cart, but they all went back to the shelves before I checked out.  Also, I've been (un)lucky with finding items in stock this month.  I promised myself a mini Pacifica body butter because I didn't get one in my Ipsy bag, but my local TJ Maxx didn't have any and Target only had the large size.  I'm hoping my local Ulta doesn't get a *huge* selection now that they're selling Pacifica!
Awesome job on staying in your budget, and look at all those things you resisted! Freaking terrific! I love it!

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Good morning, Lovely ladies.

Today is the 27th! Which means I will be ending this month on a strong note. We're traveling Friday into Monday all day to help my MIL get moved in and set up into assisted living. That means I'll be way too busy to even think about purchasing anything!

So, purchases for this month on my no-buy:

1. 1 lip product plus 1 bb cream from rimmel (discounted, so total of $5. paid for by my walgreens points). TOTAL: $0.

2. Shea Moisture Shampoo (replacement for my one I ran out of, a necessity so not part of my no-buy). TOTAL: $10. 

Verdict: Success!

I don't want to jinx it, since the month is not yet officially over, but I will be very conscious not to buy any makeup for the rest of the month so that it will for sure count as a success. Despite all of my lemmings this month I was able to stay strong and even rediscover some long forgotten loves in my stash.

The things I absolutely resisted getting:

1. Getting more tarte blushes

2. Getting la femme blushes, or any blush in general. I already have enough.

3. Getting any sort of eyeshadow, I was really looking at darling girl cosmetics and inglot, but I need to use up at least one shadow before I even consider getting more.

4. Getting more lipstick... walgreens has a tendency to lure me in with their fantastic deals, but I stayed strong.

For April, I feel like there will be enough spending on house decorations, furniture, and other home owning expenses that the no-buy will continue. I also want to sit down and figure out where I can cut some corners so that I can redirect those funds towards paying off student loans or more work on the new house. I will see if I can get a detailed statement from my bank for the last few months, and note exactly where money is going that should not/does not need to go.

Health wise, part of which also involves the spending, I am trying to cut down on the amount of sugary drinks I take. A lot of those come from going to our nearby coffee house almost 3 times a week. So for now I will put it down to a once-a-week treat where I can go for the lighter lattes or the cold press drinks as it gets hotter out. 

We'll see how this goes!
Good luck, girl! Your success is our inspiration!! Keep it up for April!

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  so random, but i really really wanna buy this now!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Bees-Pop-A-PointMechanical-Pencils-pencils-display/dp/B004Z27U98/ref=sr_1_7?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1395944273&sr=1-7&keywords=pop+a+point+pencil

the field trip for the geology class i'm teaching is coming up, and i can't find my "magic pencil" (which is how i call these things). i always use a "magic pencil" for my field notes ever!! they're perfect cause they're "always" sharp. also, pencils are better over pens when on the field - even if you drop your field notebook in the river (which i did once, thankfully i was able to recover it!), the writings (if in pencil) will survive, but not if it's written in pen (it will bleed and will become obliterated)! bensia makes the best ones, and i absolutely love this design (in the link!). i'm planning to give my students some, thinking that it would encourage them to take field notes, and so that they won't have any excuse not to take field notes! I WANT IT!!! GAAAHH!!! what to do? what to do???? 

Those are so freaking cute! I love that type of pencil. Oh, I'm so jealous that you'll be teaching a field course!!!!! I loved field camp and field methods. We did ours in the Pacific Northwest, and then the actual camp was in Montana. So, did you get them? Maybe you could charge students $1 a piece to make some money back for yourself? For me, I love writing with a pencil in the field, especially if it's on waterproof paper, like 'write in the rain' paper notebooks. <3

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorizav /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I did not buy from Sephora today for chic week

Occ lip tars in pris, Hollywood and pleasure model. I have lip tars, I have a metallic white one (iced) that can be mixed with my other colors to approximate these colors. Hell the darn things are meant to be mixed.

2 hourglass ambient lighting powders. I swatched them before and they were ok but the lighting in my sephora Is terrible and I'm not spending that kind of Money if I'm not sure. And 15% really isn't that great a discount.

Yay me, I guess the hospital bills scared me straight with respect to my no buy
tongue.gif

Awesome, you did really well!

----

Ok, here's my March verdict:

User: EastoftheSun

March 2014 goal: Started off with a goal of no-buy.

Purchases:

~Ulta: 21 Days of Beauty deal: Tarte LCL mascara $10 for a tube, got 2 tubes and a free full-size 'It's a 10' leave in conditioner: $21

~CVS: Allure and Shape magazine $9.00

~Target: bobby pins and barrettes: $6.00

~Ipsy Bag: None! Canceled it! $0

~Sephora: 1 travel nail file and 1 full-size Lavanila deodorant $23.54

~Ulta: EcoTools foundation brush and NYX brown mascara ($3.50 off total) $11.75

~Paula's Choice: Cleanser, Toner, Exfoliant (21% off) and clear lip liner ($6 off total order)  $53.70

~Target: Real Techniques Blush Brush $9

Total spent in March: $134.0

Caveats:

-The mascara I didn't need, but it was such a good deal, I felt I couldn't pass it up.

-The magazines I definitely didn't need. I just bought them because I was feeling crumby. -The bobby pins and barrettes I feel like I needed to get my hair looking decent.

-The travel nail file I feel like I need because I started biting my nails again with all the stress, so I'm going to keep that with me everywhere. Could I have gotten a cheaper one? Yes, but this one is a crystal file and comes with a carrying case, so I think it's really great. Since it'll help me stop a bad habit, I'm not counting it as part of my no-buy

- The deodorant - I'd like to say it was necessary, but it wasn't. I have a travel sized version that I'm still using, and although I love it and I think it's my new favorite deodorant, I didn't need to buy it that day, and I could have at least waited until Chic Week. Maybe I'll return it?

-The foundation brush and brown mascara were totally unnecessary. I think I will return those. I mean, I don't have a foundation brush, and I might need one for my upcoming new foundation purchase in April, but.... I don't know

-The Paula's Choice stuff is necessary and I'm running out of toner and exfoliant, and am more than halfway through with the cleanser, so I'm not going to count those in my no-buy.

- The Real Techniques brush was unnecessary because I already have 2 blush brushes, but they really stink at picking up and depositing color...

Total spent in March with caveat: $70.8 (That's $22.2 less than I spent last month).

Verdict: Guilty!

Sentence: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Although I'm spending money on Chic Week, I sentence myself to a no-buy until November. If I'm going to go bonkers for deals like this, then the sentence is only buying when there are really good deals, and nothing else. So, that's what I'll do. After my Chic Week order in April, I'll not buy anything again (except replacements of necessary items) until the 20% off deal for VIB in November.

Sigh, are we going to a new thread for April? 
I need it on it desperately.
On this last day of March I'm looking at my balance of 13 dollars and no savings. 
2.gif

My goal for April is to spend absolutely nothing on clothes/makeup/products and to be able to SAY NO to my son for toys/games/candy/etc...
I'd like to put $500 in my savings in April. 
My original savings goal for the year was $5,000, to be on track I should be at $1350 on payday. I've spent it all on comforts while grieving over all the troubles in my life. There are just so many things I'm unhappy about and I can honestly say, spending all my money on pretties has not made me feel any better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Sigh, are we going to a new thread for April? 
I need it on it desperately.
On this last day of March I'm looking at my balance of 13 dollars and no savings. 
2.gif

My goal for April is to spend absolutely nothing on clothes/makeup/products and to be able to SAY NO to my son for toys/games/candy/etc...
I'd like to put $500 in my savings in April. 
My original savings goal for the year was $5,000, to be on track I should be at $1350 on payday. I've spent it all on comforts while grieving over all the troubles in my life. There are just so many things I'm unhappy about and I can honestly say, spending all my money on pretties has not made me feel any better.
It's already on the second page!  https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/141963/april-2014-no-low-buy-support-advice-free-hugs-and-commiseration

Back