March 2014 No/Low-Buy! Support, Advice, and Free Hugs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the house @jaylilee !!

Guys I need help! I want the Divergent set so bad. But I would feel so guilty about getting it. I couldn't get it until Saturday though, so I have until then to be enabled or stopped from purchasing it, >.< 

It's calling me

Quote: Originally Posted by JuliaGhostx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Guys I need help! I want the Divergent set so bad. But I would feel so guilty about getting it. I couldn't get it until Saturday though, so I have until then to be enabled or stopped from purchasing it, >.< 

It's calling me
no buying. no.  think of the guilt. if you're already guilty without having purchased it, imagine the weight of the buyer's remorse after you've had your 15 minutes of fun. a tool that never fails is look at what you already own that is similar. literally every color in that collection is immensely dupe-able.. that and I have rarely found sephora brand makeup to be 100% top notch. Save your pennies for something better... or better yet, for more books! 

Hello there! I've been lurking for a bit around here, but it's time for me to bite the bullet and go on my first no-buy. I re-discovered nail polish back in August, and I now have... uhm... approaching 300 polishes. So, polish no-buy in April for me, and I suppose for the end of this month since I just placed an order with Pretty & Polished that I shouldn't have. My makeup collection is relatively small and make-up isn't as much of a temptation for me; there's nothing that I should need next month.

Goals/plan for April (and end of March): 

- Keep my ipsy sub, especially since I'm a relative newbie to makeup and it's a still a good way for me to try out new brands/colors/items.

- Keep my Black Sheep Lacquer sub (already paid for April, but I plan on getting May, too) - $15/mo. 

- Place an order on nailbox.co, since I have a Gilt voucher that expires in April. Spend no more than $10 above the voucher value. Gift some of the polishes I get with the voucher.

- Skip Julep again (I don't want to cancel quite yet, since I'm good about skipping and want to keep my "grandmothered" account)

- Buy the monthly Pretty & Polished box if they're colors that I just have to have. If I don't get the box, I can have a $25 "splurge" budget for the rest of April.

- Use my tax refund to top off my 2013 IRA and put the rest into my vacation/honeymoon fund. I got married last September, and we're hoping to go on our honeymoon trip around our 1 year anniversary!

It's scary to make it official, but it is nice to lay out a plan/goals. I look forward to getting to know you all! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I slipped up yesterday. Went to cvs to pick up some things I needed for home/work, and bought a bit of makeup. This included a WnW eyeliner in taupe for my brows (to replace/dupe my empty mac brow pencil) and a top coat for my nails, which I was lacking. But I also bought a nail color and got those matte milani blushes -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> bad bad bad! For a total of $31.50 spent on makeup this month. Which isn't bad but I also bought some clothes and skincare this month, as well as a festival ticket. Besides chic week, I'm not buying any non-necessities in April! Including buying lunches, I will be packing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I slipped up yesterday. Went to cvs to pick up some things I needed for home/work, and bought a bit of makeup. This included a WnW eyeliner in taupe for my brows (to replace/dupe my empty mac brow pencil) and a top coat for my nails, which I was lacking.

But I also bought a nail color and got those matte milani blushes -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> bad bad bad! For a total of $31.50 spent on makeup this month. Which isn't bad but I also bought some clothes and skincare this month, as well as a festival ticket. Besides chic week, I'm not buying any non-necessities in April! Including buying lunches, I will be packing.

@Jen283 please post back and let us know how the taupe liner works for brows. My daughter needs a new brow pencil and I'm sure she'll be wanting me to buy one for her. 

I've been using it for a while and I like it. It works well, is cheap, and has a lot of product. Definitely work trying in my opinion :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wow where has this thread been all my life? lol I have the worst online shopping addiction. I work in a very slow paced environment so I get bored and randomly google search something and then Boom! I don't spend a lot, but a little here and a little there can add up so fast! It also doesn't help that I definitely have a Pokemon mentality about every single thing I show interest in. I absolutely Gotta Get Them All! This has lead me to lots of expensive collections including Jem, Monster High, SheRa, Comics and various other toys and vintage items. I used to have a pretty bad Lip Service collection problem but luckily they stopped making anything worth buying. So I have a pretty big family vacation planned for the end of April and have a bunch of other projects I'm working on as well, so I told myself that for Lent I would give up online shopping. Its painful! lol One of my big projects is my son's first birthday party and of course you just can't possibly get everything you need in one place so I allowed myself to shop online for his party. I'm also redoing the nursery into a big boy room for him so I also allow shopping in conjunction with his room. I have done very well and stuck to my sacrifice, only buying things for the party or his room, however I'm pretty much done with his room and the party is this weekend so now I really have to crack down on myself and not order anything else!! I just have to make it 3 weeks and then its Vacation time and then (almost as good as a vacation) my BIRTHDAY!!! So I'll really be able to treat myself. Lately I have been wanting to buy like every nail polish I see. I have been lurking around and I see that it gets you ladies too! Why is it so hard to say no? lol I have like 200 bottles of nail polish at home... why do I need to spend another $7 for some nail polish I'm just going to use once. I really want those Revlon Sun/Moon Candy polishes though! Argh! Hopefully I can do some nail polish swaps and that will cure my fix. I also really want to try a subscription box, so maybe I'll hold myself over until my birthday by researching which ones are the best and trying to find a good deal on one.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wanna know what the worst part of this picture is? I am singing it in my head WITH Ariel's voice. Yep. it's so perfect!

And...GOOD NEWS! El Hub and I are officially home owners!!! WOOP WOOP WOOP! I will post pretty shiny pictures of the house once I have had time this summer to make it all shiny and pretty and lovely. We sign on the 18th, move in that same day (because it means if our apartment complex can find someone to take over before the end of april's done, then we get to save like an extra 800 dollars).  This weekend I'll be traveling all weekend to move my mother in law into assisted living, then packing frenzy begins until the 18th. Definitely going to be crazy. BUT I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!
I was singing it too, note for note, in her voice. Hahaa, there's something about that song and being a little girl. I used to always sing it when we went swimming when I was growing  up.
star.gif

And a huuuuuge congratulations on the house officially being yours and your hubby's!! That is such an awesome feeling! I hope you have TONS of fun decorating it!

Quote: Originally Posted by JuliaGhostx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's calling me
I have to say it did kind of call my name too- the colors seem pretty, the packaging is cute, and I love the book series. However, I think you should wait a while, maybe read more reviews or something. I have to say, if you mainly want it because it's a Divergent thing, you probably shouldn't get it. Think about it this way- if it was your least favorite makeup brand, would you still want it because ... the colors are pretty dupeable. Hmmm.... I don't know, just trying to help you talk yourself out of it, hahha! I know how hard that is.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ugh joining at the end of the month so that I'm acclimated in time for April to start! I don't need anything, I don't even want anything and I have no planned beauty purchases.  Down to 2 ongoing subs (ipsy and Glitter Guilty) totaling $25.99/month.

It's just getting so exhausting keeping up with all the shiny new things/mail coming & going/tracking numbers/box pages/spoilers/today only sales, etc., etc.  I'm starting to feel anxiety everytime I get an email so I tried unsubscribing from a bunch of lists.  I used up all the points/rewards/perks I possibly could so I have no extra incentives if something tempts me.  Joined a mani marathon and going to get back into the Monday club again.  I blame winter boredom!  Tomorrow it's supposed to start finally staying above freezing for (hopefully) a long time.
That was a good idea to use up all your accumulated points so you wouldn't have another reason to buy something. I have 200 points sitting in my sephora account, which tempts me a bit further when I want to make an order. I think I'll use them up next time I make an order so that won't happen.

What's a mani marathon? It sounds fun!

I agree, winter boredom! It's starting to feel like spring around here and there are actual activities going on outside, with sunshine! So.... hehee, it's harder to sit inside at the laptop and 'nest'.

-------

Update on my March no-buy:

I haven't made any other beauty purchases this month. I don't plan to either.

There was one point where I almost made a Paula's Choice order on something that was on sale, but I haven't finished up my bottle of it yet, and she has sales so often I'll just wait until the next one, so I closed my cart.

Also, last night I went to CVS to get a few things, and I probably would have bought an EcoTools foundation brush if CVS carried them. Good thing I didn't go across the street to Walgreens, because I know they do carry EcoTools. I mean, why? I don't even have a liquid foundation right now, just a BB cream that I'm trying to use up, and apparently BB cream looks better if you apply with your fingers anyway!

Also, I'm working really hard and ... things are tough right now, so I'm having a hard time not 'treating' myself to stuff. But I need to give up that attitude, because I don't need a treat anymore when I do well. I need to be an adult and stay disciplined and remember all the treasures I already own, and stop thinking about more.

But also, it's hard because I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks, and I want to buy some clothes that I can wear there... but I know it won't make that much of a difference on my experience, so maybe I should just deal with it.

I'll probably just go through all my clothes this weekend and will pick out what I will definitely want to pack, instead of buying something else.

In other news I bought these shoe insole inserts that have changed my feet! Oh my gosh, I love them! I have high arches and have lots of foot pain at the end of the day because of non-supportive shoes, but these inserts rock my world!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say!!!!!!!

It's almost the end of March, everyone!

We only have... 5 more days left!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Quote: That was a good idea to use up all your accumulated points so you wouldn't have another reason to buy something. I have 200 points sitting in my sephora account, which tempts me a bit further when I want to make an order. I think I'll use them up next time I make an order so that won't happen.

What's a mani marathon? It sounds fun!

I agree, winter boredom! It's starting to feel like spring around here and there are actual activities going on outside, with sunshine! So.... hehee, it's harder to sit inside at the laptop and 'nest'.

-------

Also, I'm working really hard and ... things are tough right now, so I'm having a hard time not 'treating' myself to stuff. But I need to give up that attitude, because I don't need a treat anymore when I do well. I need to be an adult and stay disciplined and remember all the treasures I already own, and stop thinking about more.

But also, it's hard because I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks, and I want to buy some clothes that I can wear there... but I know it won't make that much of a difference on my experience, so maybe I should just deal with it.

I'll probably just go through all my clothes this weekend and will pick out what I will definitely want to pack, instead of buying something else.

In other news I bought these shoe insole inserts that have changed my feet! Oh my gosh, I love them! I have high arches and have lots of foot pain at the end of the day because of non-supportive shoes, but these inserts rock my world!
I do still have 228 points at Sephora but luckily their points items have sucked for a long time and I think (but I'm not positive) you can redeem them in store without buying anything?  Anyone know?  A mani marathon is where someone comes up with a bunch of themes and you do your nails to fit the theme and you get the chance to use a lot of polishes.  This one is in a Facebook group I'm in but we had one on here not that long ago.  Would be fun if we got a spring/summer themed one going once spring actually starts lol!

I can definitely relate with the feeling of wanting to treat yourself!  It feels like a treat at first but having my bathroom cluttered and spending free time shopping online can actually end up feeling stressful sometimes
icon_sad.gif
  the next time we want to treat ourselves we should sit back (adding a glass of wine wouldn't hurt) and put our feet up!  That sounds like a great treat too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Have a great time on your trip!  Those shoe inserts will make sight seeing and wandering around so much more fun!

Ok in the interest of holding myself accountable, I'm going to do what someone did last month  (I think maybe @eastofthesun maybe?) and summarize my month. I need to start planning for next month and this will help me see the light, so to speak. I have 2 orders coming in today and tomorrow so I won't buy anything before the end of the month. I'm not including chic-week purchases on Sunday because that was allowed on my no-buy and planned out. Purchases for the month:

1. Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara: $10.

Was it necessary? On the fence with this. On the one hand, I do have mascara. On the other hand, I do not have any unopened backup mascaras, and it was a good price. I don't feel too bad about this one.

2. Nyx butter gloss x2: $8.99 total (at BOGO50%OFF)

Was it necessary:  NOPE. Frivolous purchase. Although I love these, I have enough lipgloss to last me until I'm 300 years old, at least.

3. Maybelline Color Tattoo x2: $10.50 total (at BOGO 50% off)

Was it necessary: NOPE. Same eyeshadow situation as lipgloss and I don't even like them that much.

4. BH Galaxy Chic set--got the eye pallete, a blending brush, a thing of glitter, and a pair of falsies. $22.

Was it necessary: NOPE. See above. I really like the eyeshadows though. The brush works. Won't use the other 2.

5. Nails Inc glitter polish: $5

Was it necessary: NOPE. See eyshadow and lipgloss comments.

6. Zoya Nail polish: $8

Was it necessary: NOPE. It's cute though and I don't own a color like it. I'm not OVERLY upset about that one.

7. Orly Nail Polish: $4.99 on clearance

Was it necessary: NOPE. And the color's not even that cute.

8. Tarte try-it kit with maricuja eye cream and oil samples. $10

Was it necessary: ehhhhh I don't feel TOO bad about this either. I"m looking for an eye cream and I thought spending $10 to try it out before shelling out for the full size, and getting an oil I know I'll use in additon isn't too bad.

TOTAL FOR THE MONTH:  $79.48. Ok so that's not AWFUL when I add it up, but of that amount, only $28 of it was something I really truly hold no remorse for buying. So that's $50 I could have saved!!! Here's to April being a big fat zero! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@eastofthesun that is an adorable collection!!!! wooooow!! also, i'm considering withdrawing my money from the bank, and keep it in a pouch at home. haha! that way i can't spend it online. i don't usually shop in store.

@magicalmom lol at that ariel's photo. it sounded so perfect in my mind!

@jaylilee congrats on the new house!! OMG!

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@jaylilee congrats on the new house!! OMG!
1f.gif
Thank you~ i'm so freaking exciteddddd!!!!!

So I told my husband I want an allowance because my no-buy this month has so far been successful but I have my eyes on a few things (*whispers* anyone here have any experience with la femme blushes? or are they blah and then some?) I've been CRAVING blush and lipstick -- something about spring and wanting color in my life. I only have like 10 lipsticks which isn't bad, but i have like 20-something blushes so I probably don't need more...at the same time.... I really, REALLY love trying out blush.

Gah.

Awwww nothing like a good pair of gel shoe inserts.I have to stop looking at blogs etc.I had to buy the new Herbal essence cleasener conditioner ,love love love,heard it was a dupe for Wen.And some fancy brightner toothpaste from Crest.I also am back into buying arts and craft supplies.I met my insurance dectable so yeaaaaa my health bills are lower each month now.

I've really been trying to shop my stash and use products that I haven't touched in a while. Last night I took an empty MAC palette and put a bunch of my MAC shadows in it that I either haven't use in a while or are somewhat new and haven't been used at all. I made a space for it on the top of my vanity so I remember to reach for it. It's the only eyeshadow palette I have on top of the vanity, so I'm hoping I'll use it a lot! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok in the interest of holding myself accountable, I'm going to do what someone did last month  (I think maybe @eastofthesun  maybe?) and summarize my month. I need to start planning for next month and this will help me see the light, so to speak. I have 2 orders coming in today and tomorrow so I won't buy anything before the end of the month. I'm not including chic-week purchases on Sunday because that was allowed on my no-buy and planned out. Purchases for the month: 1. Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara: $10. Was it necessary? On the fence with this. On the one hand, I do have mascara. On the other hand, I do not have any unopened backup mascaras, and it was a good price. I don't feel too bad about this one. 2. Nyx butter gloss x2: $8.99 total (at BOGO50%OFF) Was it necessary:  NOPE. Frivolous purchase. Although I love these, I have enough lipgloss to last me until I'm 300 years old, at least. 3. Maybelline Color Tattoo x2: $10.50 total (at BOGO 50% off) Was it necessary: NOPE. Same eyeshadow situation as lipgloss and I don't even like them that much. 4. BH Galaxy Chic set--got the eye pallete, a blending brush, a thing of glitter, and a pair of falsies. $22. Was it necessary: NOPE. See above. I really like the eyeshadows though. The brush works. Won't use the other 2. 5. Nails Inc glitter polish: $5 Was it necessary: NOPE. See eyshadow and lipgloss comments. 6. Zoya Nail polish: $8 Was it necessary: NOPE. It's cute though and I don't own a color like it. I'm not OVERLY upset about that one. 7. Orly Nail Polish: $4.99 on clearance Was it necessary: NOPE. And the color's not even that cute. 8. Tarte try-it kit with maricuja eye cream and oil samples. $10 Was it necessary: ehhhhh I don't feel TOO bad about this either. I"m looking for an eye cream and I thought spending $10 to try it out before shelling out for the full size, and getting an oil I know I'll use in additon isn't too bad. TOTAL FOR THE MONTH:  $79.48. Ok so that's not AWFUL when I add it up, but of that amount, only $28 of it was something I really truly hold no remorse for buying. So that's $50 I could have saved!!! Here's to April being a big fat zero! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I love this! I need to do this. I think actually seeing what I'm buying and where my money is going on paper will make me realize that most of it isn't necessary!!

I'm doing so well this month!  My only beauty purchases that I actually bought* are a Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle and a TokyoMilk lip balm in Salted Caramel.  Both total under $15, so I'm nowhere near my $25 splurge budget!   I'm very proud of myself for not buying any eyeshadow, perfume, or other makeup.  This is the first month that I've managed to stay within my splurge budget.  I've been very inspired by the all the success stories on here this month.  The end of the month is always hard for me (seems like a lot of deals are sent out in the last few days), so I'm trying to stay strong!  If I see a deal posted in the Enablers thread, or in my email, I will do my best to come here to be talked down before committing to a purchase.

*I bought a few items at Ulta earlier this month, but they were necessary (new primer and makeup sponges), and I had a gift card to cover the cost, so I say they don't count!

Some of the purchases I resisted this month:

-ModCloth $10 surprise sale

-Sephora 5 samples with purchase

-A second TokyoMilk balm (I wanted La Vie En Rose, too, but I decided I want to smell this before purchasing)

-A trip to Target with a long stroll through the beauty section.  SO MANY items went into my cart, but they all went back to the shelves before I checked out.  Also, I've been (un)lucky with finding items in stock this month.  I promised myself a mini Pacifica body butter because I didn't get one in my Ipsy bag, but my local TJ Maxx didn't have any and Target only had the large size.  I'm hoping my local Ulta doesn't get a *huge* selection now that they're selling Pacifica!

Ok in review: This month I got off to a rocky start - 2 UD orders both about $13 shipped. This was to claim my birthday coupon thing - 1 too faced order to get All I Want is Christmas. $30 shipped. I thought I was swapping with someone but then I never heard from her again... My biggest fear is being accused of swaplifting. But I just seriously got to the stage of address exchanging then nothing. (I only really wanted the lipstick but was on the fence about everything else. I guess this is a sign I shouldn't have gotten it at all) - beauty.com order $10 the conditioner ending up not being awesome and the GWP was even worse - $8 trader joes shampoo & conditioner - my new HG - Birchbox $10 added another box ... Sigh. I didn't wanna do it but it was "free via points" which I always thought was a dumb justification. I need to cancel. - Rimmel Stay Mattes - I ended up with 2 soft beige 2 primers 1 true beige all for $5 out of pocket? I seriously thought this was my new HG foundation but the more I wear it out, the more I hate it. Hate hate hate it. It looks cakey, gets cakier through the day, and highlights any and all imperfections. I regret it. So overall, I spent ~$90 on beauty? Bad month compared to Jan & Feb but not horrible considering it was my bday. I usually spend A LOT of money during my birth month and justify it with "but it's my biiirrhday". I didn't really tell anyone IRL it's my birthday, most people didn't remember until Facebook reminders, and it helped me feel like less of a birthday diva. Yanno? I will plan better for April (or if i go to the mall then I will make exceptions) since I truly am looking for a new "face base" product. Maybe Estée Lauder Double Wear Light? Maybe Big Easy? Something by Tarte? Foundation shopping is exhausting and overwhelming but it is most definitely allowed for April.

@Jen283  please post back and let us know how the taupe liner works for brows. My daughter needs a new brow pencil and I'm sure she'll be wanting me to buy one for her. 
[@]page5[/@] So far I really like the WnW taupe pencil for my brows. Before I was using the MAC eye brow twist up pencil in Lingering, and this is almost an exact dupe color wise. The WnW is a pencil, so you will have to sharpen it a lot and it isn't as fool proof as my mac one was. The WnW pencil is soft enough to use on your brow bone for easy application but its not so soft that it smudges easily. But it certainly gets the job done, and when set with brow gel lasts all day! Without brow gel it would still probably last for a decently long time because I use the other wnw pencils for regular eyeliner and they work great. I would definitely recommend anyone with blonde to light brown hair try it, especially since it's only $1.

Back