March 2014 No/Low-Buy! Support, Advice, and Free Hugs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys. I just got out of a meeting with my boss. It's annual review time. I was told that there was something she needed to discuss with me. That thing turned out to be the fact that, unbeknownst to me, I got a promotion that I had any clue I was even eligible for -- which means a higher pay rate bracket -- and a raise! It's only about $25 a week, but it's better than not getting any raise!

You guys. I just got out of a meeting with my boss. It's annual review time. I was told that there was something she needed to discuss with me. That thing turned out to be the fact that, unbeknownst to me, I got a promotion that I had any clue I was even eligible for -- which means a higher pay rate bracket -- and a raise! It's only about $25 a week, but it's better than not getting any raise!
Woohoo! Congrats!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's big news!!! congrats!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THATS AWESOME!!!!

Also, whenever I hear "I need to discuss something with you" from a boss, I *always* assume I'm fired, lol.  I've never been fired in my life... but I will always think the worst when I hear that phrase!

THATS AWESOME!!!! Also, whenever I hear "I need to discuss something with you" from a boss, I *always* assume I'm fired, lol.  I've never been fired in my life... but I will always think the worst when I hear that phrase!
Ha! Me too! The worst is "do you have a minute?" My immediate thought is always "FIRED."

Great news!!! I got a raise too this week. I was doing a temp to hire thing and when I got my official offer I got a $80 a week bump from what I was making.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THATS AWESOME!!!!

Also, whenever I hear "I need to discuss something with you" from a boss, I *always* assume I'm fired, lol.  I've never been fired in my life... but I will always think the worst when I hear that phrase!

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ha! Me too! The worst is "do you have a minute?" My immediate thought is always "FIRED."

OMG. My boss (who is honestly like the nicest man on the planet) is the "do you have a minute?" kind of person, and it might be to ask the simplest, most mundane thing in the world (like wanting to find out how buying a house is going, or wanting to check in to see how work is going) but I always think I'm getting fired. I don't know why. I hate being called into an office... it kind of gives me that same feeling of being called into the principal's office to be told i'm in trouble. 

Thanks, gang!  Yeah, every time I get asked if I have a minute, I assume the worst.  I don't know why because it's never happened!  I actually had one boss who never told me any of the bad stuff until right before I left the company, though.  I think he was the worst manager I ever had.  As a person, he was very nice, but he had *no clue* how to manage employees.  Other coworkers and managers would complain to him about me, but he wouldn't bother to tell me, and then he got mad that I didn't stop whatever people had complained to him about, but, uh, if you don't *tell the person screwing up* that she's screwing up, nothing is going to change.  Especially when you work on the other side of the country and regularly go *weeks* without talking to your remote employees.  He *finally* told me all of his issues *after* I had given notice that I was quitting.  Ugh.  So glad I'm not there any more for multiple reasons, but this is a big one!

And the really weird thing for me about having enough money to not be panicked about bills:  I actually buy less stuff.  The more money I have, the easier it is to not buy things.  I have no clue why.  I went to Sephora at lunch today (it's *gorgeous* out!  Upper 40s, sunny and clear, and no breeze!  Perfect walking-at-lunch weather) before the news because I still haven't had a splurge treat after my bonus, and I found not one single thing I wanted.  I've been poking around on various websites I usually have a shopping list on, and my reaction is just, "Eh, nah."  There are many things I want from GDE, but I've already placed my planned two orders this month, and I can wait until next month for another one, especially since the second order is still en route.  I went so OMG MUST BUY ALL THE THINGS with them last year that I'm pacing myself now:  I can get four sample jars at the beginning of the month, and then if there's a collection released later in the month, I can get that, too. 

And I go on weird cleaning kicks when I feel more financially-secure, too.  Tomorrow, I'm probably going to get up, clean out my car, take it in for an overdue tuneup (way past when it should have happened calendar-wise, just a couple hundred miles past it mile-wise, and this *must* happen before next weekend), hit Fred Meyer/Trader Joe's for just enough groceries to get me to Thursday morning, and come back home to spend the rest of the day cleaning.  I might go grab takeout from the most epically fantastically dive-y Chinese restaurant** two blocks away in the afternoon, but it will cost ten bucks for enough food to last me two days, so that's not even really a splurge.  I *must* clean clean clean this weekend because I'm going out of town next weekend, and I don't want the checker-uppers to have to deal with my crap. 

**  I have found that you can measure the dive quality of Chinese restaurants by the bar.  One pineapple-rum in a smallish water glass that costs under three bucks and gets you so utterly shitfaced that you can't feel your teeth?  Epic and fantastic.  They hired a bartender used to pouring strong drinks at a hipster dive bar who actually had to learn to pour *stronger* drinks at this particular Chinese dive, and this place is a magical and amazing combination of hipster, gunge-era leftovers, white trash, drug dealers, hookers, and old people just there to play Keno and video poker.  I tell ya, if anyone comes to Portland, let me know, and maybe we can hit karaoke night there!  You won't even have to drive because you can pass out in my neighbor's little yard downstairs if you can't make it up my stairs!

I totally get what you mean about having more money but buying less. My husband alwaysssss fun of me because when we have money I become Scrooge and "oh no $30 on eyeshadow? That's far too much money". But when we're broke I want EVERYTHING.

I think wanting to buy more when you have less money ties in to the psychology of scarcity vs bounty.  When you don't have much, you have to hoard and save and acquire.  When there is plenty to go around, it's not so important to get it all now.

Quote: Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think wanting to buy more when you have less money ties in to the psychology of scarcity vs bounty.  When you don't have much, you have to hoard and save and acquire.  When there is plenty to go around, it's not so important to get it all now.
This.

It's so dumb too because it's like.... we don't live in caves, makeup is not a necessity, and chances are we already have way more than any single woman needs... but do we care? no! if i'm broke, I get that mentality of 'Oh my god I want that now!' ... when I'm not so broke it's like "Eh."

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This.

It's so dumb too because it's like.... we don't live in caves, makeup is not a necessity, and chances are we already have way more than any single woman needs... but do we care? no! if i'm broke, I get that mentality of 'Oh my god I want that now!' ... when I'm not so broke it's like "Eh."
For me, it goes even beyond makeup.  It includes katfud, toilet cleaner, rice, socks, coffee syrup, yoga pants, you name it.  I think that if I have money, my stance is, "Oh, I'll just pick that up when I need it."  If I'm close to having no money whatsoever, I think, "Ooh, I had better stock up on [insert item here] before I run completely out of money."

Okay.  Today's plan, now that I have slathered on some gorgeous shimmery aqua eyeshadow (the March GDE OTM) and charged my phone:  Get dressed.  Shovel out the car.  Go to the car dealership for maintenance.  Hit Fred Meyer for a few non-perishable staples.  Swing by the humane society for katfud.  Stop by Trader Joe's for perishables.  Come back home for cleaning and laundry interspersed with episodes of _Grimm_.  Cap off the day with a orror movie or two on Netflix Instant (that is both the greatest and worst thing ever to happen to horror movie junkies).  If I can stick to this schedule, all will be well.  The catch:  *Huge* if. 

(I also need to fill up my car's gas tank and run xAavier through the car wash, but I will wait until Thursday for that since it's part of the last-minute prep that I've set Thursday aside specifically to do.)

OKAY!  NO MORE PROCRASTINATING!  JUST DO IT!

For me, it goes even beyond makeup.  It includes katfud, toilet cleaner, rice, socks, coffee syrup, yoga pants, you name it.  I think that if I have money, my stance is, "Oh, I'll just pick that up when I need it."  If I'm close to having no money whatsoever, I think, "Ooh, I had better stock up on [insert item here] before I run completely out of money." Okay.  Today's plan, now that I have slathered on some gorgeous shimmery aqua eyeshadow (the March GDE OTM) and charged my phone:  Get dressed.  Shovel out the car.  Go to the car dealership for maintenance.  Hit Fred Meyer for a few non-perishable staples.  Swing by the humane society for katfud.  Stop by Trader Joe's for perishables.  Come back home for cleaning and laundry interspersed with episodes of _Grimm_.  Cap off the day with a orror movie or two on Netflix Instant (that is both the greatest and worst thing ever to happen to horror movie junkies).  If I can stick to this schedule, all will be well.  The catch:  *Huge* if.  (I also need to fill up my car's gas tank and run xAavier through the car wash, but I will wait until Thursday for that since it's part of the last-minute prep that I've set Thursday aside specifically to do.) OKAY!  NO MORE PROCRASTINATING!  JUST DO IT!
HAHA. this is almost exactly my to do list today minus humane society. I have to get thesis and school stuff done. Instead, I've spent the morning writing things for a zine I decided to make even though I have ZERO time for a pet project.

[@]meaganola[/@]Portland Maine or Portland Oregon? I've been trying to secure a position in hospitals in either lol. I'm tired of living upstate. I buy stupid expensive cat food (kangaroo meat and squash are the only ingredients with vitamins) & I always panic when I overspend, thinking I'm going to run out & have to watch my kitties allergies flare up. It never happens and I end up hoarding cat food lol.

My goal for today is sit on my rear end and watch all episodes of an old 70's (though I watched it in the 90s) anime called Candy Candy. I found someone on youtube who uploaded all 115 episodes in Spanish. Hello memory lane. I also am laying off the makeup today - my rosacea is flaring and I need to go back on anti-biotics :C boo. We have to do some cleaning later and tomorrow, and I will take that time to organize my studio and makeup drawer, then tomorrow do a serious deep-cleaning of my closet (read: tossing) and donate all the clothes I haven't worn in over a year. 

[@]meaganola[/@]Portland Maine or Portland Oregon? I've been trying to secure a position in hospitals in either lol. I'm tired of living upstate. I buy stupid expensive cat food (kangaroo meat and squash are the only ingredients with vitamins) & I always panic when I overspend, thinking I'm going to run out & have to watch my kitties allergies flare up. It never happens and I end up hoarding cat food lol.
Oregon! Watching _Grimm_ is a weird experience because I *know* these places. I drink in these bars. Those neighborhoods are either my stomping grounds now or were when I was in college (I moved to Seattle for my 20s and most of my 30s, but I moved back home in 2008). Hell, I was born in the hospital where Aunt Marie was in the pilot. One of my signs of spring is the appearance of location filming signage! But do not move here unless you come for extended visits in November and February! Those months will break even natives.

After watching an essie button video on tarte blushes I am ITCHING to add more to my collection... I only have 2. gah. I don't need more blushes! I do love tarte's formula, though. Maybe if I hit pan on one blush (still working on mac dollymix) I will allow myself another one. 

I went through my makeup this weekend and tossed a bunch of stuff that I've had for years. Once I was done I realized that I legitimately needed to buy some replacement eye shadow, so I bought some this weekend, which was within my low buy rules for the month. I also decided to go mostly cruelty free so I ordered some of the Paula's Choice sample sets so that I can test out some new products before I need to replace (I have decided to finish products I have now and then buy cruelty free in the future). This was not technically within my lw buy rules, but it wasn't a frivolous purchase, so I'm not going to worry about it. Now I need to make sure that I keep on my low buy for the rest of the month.

I stopped by walgreens today to buy shampoo, since I finally ran out of my bottle (woohoo! one more empty...though uhm...if I buy a replacement, does it count?), I love the stuff. And despite having not spent a penny on makeup in 20 days, I allowed myself to get 2 items with the points i had on my rewards car -- coincidentally, Rimmel had their items at 50% off, so I got a lipstick from their Kate Moss collection in 010, which is the most gorgeous blue based red I've seen... It's definitely a classic red, very "vintage" and not bright, so I can pull it off on my warm tone skin..whereas I find that blue based reds that are too bright look horrendous on me. Here's a picture of it from a blog I found (left):

Isn't it gorgeous?!?! and of course, for a girl who's scared of color, I go for the most intimidating one to wear...the color red. I think it'll be a good addition for the summer, though.

The other item I got was their liquid mousse foundation. I got it one shade darker than my current skin tone so I can use it in the summer and/or mix it with much lighter foundations I have right now. The lipstick cost me a whooping $2-something (usually 6 bucks), and the foundation was like 3 dollars. All got covered by my rewards card, so it was nice. now to muster up the courage to wear that lippie outside of the house...

I stopped by walgreens today to buy shampoo, since I finally ran out of my bottle (woohoo! one more empty...though uhm...if I buy a replacement, does it count?), I love the stuff. And despite having not spent a penny on makeup in 20 days, I allowed myself to get 2 items with the points i had on my rewards car -- coincidentally, Rimmel had their items at 50% off, so I got a lipstick from their Kate Moss collection in 010, which is the most gorgeous blue based red I've seen... It's definitely a classic red, very "vintage" and not bright, so I can pull it off on my warm tone skin..whereas I find that blue based reds that are too bright look horrendous on me. Here's a picture of it from a blog I found (left): Isn't it gorgeous?!?! and of course, for a girl who's scared of color, I go for the most intimidating one to wear...the color red. I think it'll be a good addition for the summer, though. The other item I got was their liquid mousse foundation. I got it one shade darker than my current skin tone so I can use it in the summer and/or mix it with much lighter foundations I have right now. The lipstick cost me a whooping $2-something (usually 6 bucks), and the foundation was like 3 dollars. All got covered by my rewards card, so it was nice. now to muster up the courage to wear that lippie outside of the house...
[@]jaylilee[/@] Could you credit the blog/person where you got the photo, please.

Latest posts

Back