March 2014 No/Low-Buy! Support, Advice, and Free Hugs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning, Lovely ladies.

Today is the 27th! Which means I will be ending this month on a strong note. We're traveling Friday into Monday all day to help my MIL get moved in and set up into assisted living. That means I'll be way too busy to even think about purchasing anything!

So, purchases for this month on my no-buy:

1. 1 lip product plus 1 bb cream from rimmel (discounted, so total of $5. paid for by my walgreens points). TOTAL: $0.

2. Shea Moisture Shampoo (replacement for my one I ran out of, a necessity so not part of my no-buy). TOTAL: $10. 

Verdict: Success!

I don't want to jinx it, since the month is not yet officially over, but I will be very conscious not to buy any makeup for the rest of the month so that it will for sure count as a success. Despite all of my lemmings this month I was able to stay strong and even rediscover some long forgotten loves in my stash.

The things I absolutely resisted getting:

1. Getting more tarte blushes

2. Getting la femme blushes, or any blush in general. I already have enough.

3. Getting any sort of eyeshadow, I was really looking at darling girl cosmetics and inglot, but I need to use up at least one shadow before I even consider getting more.

4. Getting more lipstick... walgreens has a tendency to lure me in with their fantastic deals, but I stayed strong.

For April, I feel like there will be enough spending on house decorations, furniture, and other home owning expenses that the no-buy will continue. I also want to sit down and figure out where I can cut some corners so that I can redirect those funds towards paying off student loans or more work on the new house. I will see if I can get a detailed statement from my bank for the last few months, and note exactly where money is going that should not/does not need to go.

Health wise, part of which also involves the spending, I am trying to cut down on the amount of sugary drinks I take. A lot of those come from going to our nearby coffee house almost 3 times a week. So for now I will put it down to a once-a-week treat where I can go for the lighter lattes or the cold press drinks as it gets hotter out. 

We'll see how this goes!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok in review:

This month I got off to a rocky start
- 2 UD orders both about $13 shipped. This was to claim my birthday coupon thing
- 1 too faced order to get All I Want is Christmas. $30 shipped. I thought I was swapping with someone but then I never heard from her again... My biggest fear is being accused of swaplifting. But I just seriously got to the stage of address exchanging then nothing. (I only really wanted the lipstick but was on the fence about everything else. I guess this is a sign I shouldn't have gotten it at all)
- beauty.com order $10 the conditioner ending up not being awesome and the GWP was even worse
- $8 trader joes shampoo & conditioner - my new HG
- Birchbox $10 added another box ... Sigh. I didn't wanna do it but it was "free via points" which I always thought was a dumb justification. I need to cancel.
- Rimmel Stay Mattes - I ended up with 2 soft beige 2 primers 1 true beige all for $5 out of pocket? I seriously thought this was my new HG foundation but the more I wear it out, the more I hate it. Hate hate hate it. It looks cakey, gets cakier through the day, and highlights any and all imperfections. I regret it.

So overall, I spent ~$90 on beauty? Bad month compared to Jan & Feb but not horrible considering it was my bday. I usually spend A LOT of money during my birth month and justify it with "but it's my biiirrhday". I didn't really tell anyone IRL it's my birthday, most people didn't remember until Facebook reminders, and it helped me feel like less of a birthday diva. Yanno?

I will plan better for April (or if i go to the mall then I will make exceptions) since I truly am looking for a new "face base" product. Maybe Estée Lauder Double Wear Light? Maybe Big Easy? Something by Tarte? Foundation shopping is exhausting and overwhelming but it is most definitely allowed for April.
Oh noooo. I feel bad since I totally recommended it!! Honestly I'm hating mine too right now since my skin has been SUPER dry!!! I'll just have to save it for summer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@page5 So far I really like the WnW taupe pencil for my brows. Before I was using the MAC eye brow twist up pencil in Lingering, and this is almost an exact dupe color wise. The WnW is a pencil, so you will have to sharpen it a lot and it isn't as fool proof as my mac one was. The WnW pencil is soft enough to use on your brow bone for easy application but its not so soft that it smudges easily. But it certainly gets the job done, and when set with brow gel lasts all day! Without brow gel it would still probably last for a decently long time because I use the other wnw pencils for regular eyeliner and they work great. I would definitely recommend anyone with blonde to light brown hair try it, especially since it's only $1.

Thanks for the feedback. I've never used WnW eye pencils so wasn't sure about the quality/performance. 

Yesterday in a moment of weakness I started paying cart tetris on Birchbox, now my cart misses me (on both accounts!) and they sent 20% off codes.  I can't be trusted to log in and empty my carts because I will accidentally on purpose reactive my sub with one of their evil point codes lol.  I deleted the emails before I could see the codes.  Now I have to unsubscribe from the BB threads because they are wayyyy naughty
7.gif
but that's almost harder than avoiding the BB site!

Bah. Unexpected/unplanned $200 expense. Two new tires. I can't feel too guilty about that because they're *tires*, not boots or a Sephora spree, and I'm headed out on a short trip tomorrow, so this is not something to put off. And I do have the money now. It's better to go ahead and do this sooner rather than later.

noooooooooooooooooooo must resist

just found out that Dance Legend has a new collection of holographic multichromes and Llarowe is stocking them tomorrow

b-but

T___T

pretties

noooooooooooooooooooo must resist just found out that Dance Legend has a new collection of holographic multichromes and Llarowe is stocking them tomorrow b-but T___T pretties
And further in the category of Not Helping: GCC is releasing a Fire Walk With Me polish collection. _Twin Peaks_ was essentially my first fandom, years before I had even *heard* of that word.

so random, but i really really wanna buy this now!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Bees-Pop-A-PointMechanical-Pencils-pencils-display/dp/B004Z27U98/ref=sr_1_7?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1395944273&sr=1-7&keywords=pop+a+point+pencil

the field trip for the geology class i'm teaching is coming up, and i can't find my "magic pencil" (which is how i call these things). i always use a "magic pencil" for my field notes ever!! they're perfect cause they're "always" sharp. also, pencils are better over pens when on the field - even if you drop your field notebook in the river (which i did once, thankfully i was able to recover it!), the writings (if in pencil) will survive, but not if it's written in pen (it will bleed and will become obliterated)! bensia makes the best ones, and i absolutely love this design (in the link!). i'm planning to give my students some, thinking that it would encourage them to take field notes, and so that they won't have any excuse not to take field notes! I WANT IT!!! GAAAHH!!! what to do? what to do???? 

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  so random, but i really really wanna buy this now!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Bees-Pop-A-PointMechanical-Pencils-pencils-display/dp/B004Z27U98/ref=sr_1_7?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1395944273&sr=1-7&keywords=pop+a+point+pencil

the field trip for the geology class i'm teaching is coming up, and i can't find my "magic pencil" (which is how i call these things). i always use a "magic pencil" for my field notes ever!! they're perfect cause they're "always" sharp. also, pencils are better over pens when on the field - even if you drop your field notebook in the river (which i did once, thankfully i was able to recover it!), the writings (if in pencil) will survive, but not if it's written in pen (it will bleed and will become obliterated)! bensia makes the best ones, and i absolutely love this design (in the link!). i'm planning to give my students some, thinking that it would encourage them to take field notes, and so that they won't have any excuse not to take field notes! I WANT IT!!! GAAAHH!!! what to do? what to do???? 
they're cute! i used to love those kinds of pencils so much when i was younger! you'll use it. your students will use it... its cute. i say go for it but would you consider a more plain pencil that may be cheaper? or are the lil bees inspirational? (i think they're inspirational)

ok guys. just placed a birchbox order. i paid $4 out of pocket so i'm not beat up about it.

also, i need to keep my etsy window shopping in check. i started reading and making zines again and those little guys add up. they're usually a dollar a pop but once you factor in shipping and wanting like 1000s of them..it gets to be expensive! but i've made a couple mini zines myself the past few nights and might do small runs (maybe 20?) and either pay for copies at school or try to use an office printer if i could get away with it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  they're cute! i used to love those kinds of pencils so much when i was younger! you'll use it. your students will use it... its cute. i say go for it but would you consider a more plain pencil that may be cheaper? or are the lil bees inspirational? (i think they're inspirational)
but...but...BEES! haha $25 does seem to be pretty expensive for pencils.....but I WANT IT! i found cheaper (uglier) non sharpening pencils...but i like the BEES design so much!! haha

my self justification is that the dance legend polishes are like wearing holo Pokémon cards on your nails. and you'd be soulless if you didn't want to be at least part Pokémon card QQ

And further in the category of Not Helping: GCC is releasing a Fire Walk With Me polish collection. _Twin Peaks_ was essentially my first fandom, years before I had even *heard* of that word.

OMG. I'm kinda sad. I just cancelled my Birchbox subscription. I love love love Birchbox but I should really save that money. And I already have a lot of samples/products to use up anyway. But those precious points!!! 

Anyway, I'm cancelling Ipsy after this month since I just cashed in my points for that as well.

I know we still have a couple of days left in March, but I really don't plan on doing much this weekend, so I thought now would be a good chance to check in on my low buy goals for the month.

1.  No buying new makeup, skincare, or bath items. I can buy replacement items if I have used up all of my full sizes and samples.

I purchased the following replacement items:

- After tossing out a bunch of old eyeshadow, I purchased three small replacement pallets which contained colors I needed.

- Lip stain

- Anti-humidty hairspray

- Face serum

2.  I can keep my Birchbox and Ipsy subscriptions. I can take the April Julep box if I like every item in the box and don't have any duplicates in my stash.

I kept my Birchbox but actually ended up cancelling Ipsy.  I found a Julep box where I loved all three items, did not have dupes, and actually had been looking for similar products.

3.  If I reach my weight loss goals for the month, I can treat myself to some Lush products.

I met my weight loss goals for the month and picked up some Lush goodies.

4.  If Sephora Chic Week takes place in March, then I can place an order but I must take an inventory of my stash and decide what I really want/need.

Chic Week did not happen this month, but I have started putting together a cart full of items after going through my stash to decide what I will be buying.

Things that I purchased that were not part of my above goals:

- I bought the Target Beauty Box at the beginning of the month.  But I only paid $5.25 and I've already started using the samples, so I'm not too beat up about this.

- I was able to snag a one-month GDE OTM subscription, but I really like GDE shadows, I don't have too many of them, and I used credit card reward points to cover the purchase, so I'm not out any cash.

- After deciding this month to go cruelty-free, I purchased some of the Paula's Choice skincare samplers so that I can start testing out new products to replace my current non-cruelty free products once they run out.  All of my current skincare products are not cruelty free, so I am looking at a total overhaul, and I need time to start figuring out a new routine, and I thought that this seemed like the best way to start.  So I'm okay with this non-planned purchase.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with March.  I think posting my goals on this thread helped keep me accountable.  I've spent far less than I usually spend in a month, plus I've made a good dent in my unused products/samples.  Count me in for April!

Ending the month really well--I feel good about it.  I spent about $40 (including perfume samples, stuff for my child, etc.) at that big rummage sale in the beginning of the month.  After that, nothing!  Didn't succumb to temptation even when I wanted to.  April will be another no-buy, except to replace makeup remover, which I am almost out of.

I did better in March than I have in the past, but I still did purchase some things I didn't really need. On to April...new beginnings!

I'm actually pretty proud of myself; I haven't purchased a single makeup, candle, skin care, or hair care item during March! I'm trying to hold out until Lent ends! The only thing I've really purchased this month aside from groceries, was a new blender and finally a Vanity that is supposed to be delivered on Monday; I'm excited to finally get my makeup product out if the restroom and to have a clean, proper place to store everything. Part of the reason I haven't been shopping really is simply because I've been home sick, so I guess that's a blessing in disguise for my wallet lol! I also cancelled Glossybox a few weeks ago, so I'm subscription box-free now! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did really well through the first 3 weeks of March but slipped up a little the last week.  Unplanned purchases this month included the Target beauty box, a Bare Minerals 8.0 palette, Milani liquid eyeliner and the new Milani violet liquid lip intense color.  Not too terrible but still nothing I really needed.  April will definitely not be much better b/c it's my birthday month and I already planned on spending a good amount during chic week at Sephora and with my 20% off at Ulta. Sighhhh.  BUT I will make a plan and make sure to only spend that certain amount and no more impulse purchases!

Quote: Originally Posted by hsalt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Okay I'm actually going to set a plan for March! (as opposed to generally just saying "stop buying things"). February went reasonably well--one small planned order from Sephora, and then a second smallish unplanned one to celebrate getting my bonus (woot!). I'm putting the rest of the bonus towards a new laptop and then savings, so I consider that a big bonus-using win! 

Here's my March plan:

Allowed:

-Birchbox - just one (I cancelled the second account that I had had since the holidays after last month). This is prepaid on an annual.

-Pulling the trigger on the Ulta cart I've had for a while (featuring Lorac Pro!) once a good beauty break or extra points offer comes around. I'm proud of myself that I've sat on that cart for a while to wait for a good extra!

-A money-free Birchbox order (I currently have 800+ points and $30 in gift cards from second account! I won't use it all in one go though). This will be used for a mix of essentials (shampoo + conditioner...and chocolate, obviously) plus a small splurge item.

-IF there's a good GWP I like (and will use), I can make a Sephora order for an evening face cleanser, since I'll finally be through my sample stash in a few weeks (woot!). If there's not a worthy code, then I'll wait for Chic Week.  

-I'm planning on doing a bit of clothing shopping at the mall, but this will be using gift cards from Christmas (BR and Ann Taylor). Clothing isn't really my trouble spot in terms of spending, so I'm not too concerned about this. 

Not allowed:

-Random makeup/toiletry purchases from Target.

-No Stitchfix -- I've been hankering to order another Fix, but I really should just use those gift cards mentioned above instead. I just love not having to do the shopping myself! Haha. 

-No in-store purchases at Sephora. I'm planning on visiting the store to do some swatching pre-Chic week during the aforementioned mall visit, but I really need to stick to my guns and not purchase! 

-Any other unplanned purchases! If I find something else that I want, it goes on the consideration list for April.

Phew! Feels good to actually articulate a plan, albeit a lengthy one!
Okay, so I actually did really well this month...so far (dun dun dun). On my allowed list, I only purchased the Ulta order and some (necessary) clothes. I didn't make the BB purchase yet (to be rolled over to April), and decided to wait until Chic Week for a bigger Sephora purchase. I did make a few small "unplanned" purchases--two $1 orders from Sephora for the sample promo and a $3 mini hand lotion purchase from L'Occitane. I'm not too worried about those!

Buuuut that being said, I'm currently working on my list for Chic Week for the Rouge event tomorrow. It is...not short. I do have a gift card to use, and things I actually need, but...I will probably not be limiting myself to only needs. I'm thinking of this as a weird no man's land between March and April, and will allow the purchase of a few things that have been on my wish list for a while at 15% off!

*cough* I spent a ton this weekend, *but* I budgeted for it, and one of the items was this print (I got a framed 8 1/2 x 11 version) I've been obsessing over since September when I saw it at Rose City Comic Con: https://www.etsy.com/listing/157777737/poe-fine-art-print?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery I told the artist that if he was looking for ideas for other writers, my other cat is named Oscar, and a matching set would be awesome. He's working on HG Wells and HP Lovecraft already. I'll probably be picking up something else from him in September (although we're in Seattle this weekend, both of us live in Portland) because I just dig his style and, crap, I'm so exhausted I can't think of the right word. The thing/person in the pictures. Subjects! That's the word. Style and subjects. Thumbs up.

Back