Mascara - your favourite and worst!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a fan of what I've seen of that youniqe 3d lash. Every picture I've seen looks like they have spider legs attached to their lids. No thanks.
I don't get that look! The instructions say to put a base coat of your mascara on then the youniqe. I skip that step and get long, pretty, not clumpy lashes. It's seriously ruined me for all other mascara because nothing comes even close to the length. Nothing. It's kind of bittersweet because I'm a mascara hoarder and now I have about 8 opened mascaras and don't want to use any of them.

My favorite mascara on the planet is eyeko black magic.

The worst one I ever tried was the EM mascara we got in our ipsy bags. I mean it was horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite mascara on the planet is eyeko black magic.

The worst one I ever tried was the EM mascara we got in our ipsy bags. I mean it was horrible.
Oh, I loved eyeko too, forgot about it!

I didn't think the em was terrible - it didn't do anything great on me, but I've certainly tried worse. Recently I tried The Falsies Flared and I didn't like that at all...flaked all over my face!

I absolutely love Lancôme Hypnose Star. It's my holy grail.

The worst one I ever tried was Marc Jacobs Lash Lift. It actually weighed down my lashes so much it was getting in the way of my vision. I had gone to the Apple Store one morning with my husband after putting it on and had to excuse myself to walk down to the Sephora and get some eye makeup remover to get it off of me. Horrible!

Favorite high end- Too Faced Better than Sex

worst high end- Benefit They're Real

Favorite drugstore- Covergirl original lash blast/ Loreal Voluminous carbon black

worst drugstore- Milani.. can't remember the exact name but it was in a black/pink tube. Just horrific.

Favorites: Mary Kay lash love, bare minerals.

Worst: em & maybelline falsies- both were clump city . Also benefits they're real-apparently I'm allergic to it...however, in my excitement for their new they're real gel liner, I forgot that... So I guess we will see!

absolute favorite: High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara  by Clinique (big lashes - it is a wet mascara, so you do have to know how to apply it)

worst:  Urban Decay lush lash mascara (nothing, dried out, nothing...)

I have about a million tubes of unopened mascara that I need to try, but out of what I've used so far...

Favorite - Chantecaille Faux Cils Mascara. It lengthens and separates beautifully and looks incredibly natural, like you have the prettiest, shiniest, longest eyelashes. You can also build layers up for more length and volume with no clumps or anything.

Honorable mention - Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes. Really cute packaging and the mascara separates and volumizes pretty well. It doesn't lengthen as much as I'd like, but it's a very good, balanced mascara for everyday use. Easy to remove at the end of the day, too.

Worst - Lancome Hypnose Star 24H Waterproof Mascara. I don't know why, but I just can't make this work. It doesn't separate my lashes very well, so they kinda clump together so it looks like I have very few eyelashes. It's also really difficult to remove, even with makeup remover. I'm going to pass this along to my friend to see if she has better luck with it!

Favorite: Physician's Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Mascara (bright green tube)

Least favorite: Covergirl one in the purple tube (it made my eyelashes look like strings)

I can't think of my worst, but my favorites of the moment are Hourglass Film Noir Mascara and Guerlain's Cils d'Enfer Maxi Lash Mascara.

Currently liking Covergirl Clump Crusher.

A brand I keep going back to is Physician Formula mascaras.

Loving Maxfactor Clump Defying mascara

All time favourite is Covergirl Lash Blast (orange tube, not WP).

-------------

Least favourite are Maybelline's such as Falsies, One By One Volume & Colossal mascaras. 

Really dislike Essence, some folks says it's the best thing but nup, nothing worked so far that I liked. Messy.

----------------------

I never really had much experience with high end mascaras but I am looking at Dior's mascaras, so if anyone has recommendation from that line, feel free to reply. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think I've tried almost every mascara brand out there?! Mascara is a holy frail search for me:). Clinique, loreal, laura geller, tarte, benefit, 100% pure! maybelline, cover girl, it cosmetics, Lancôme, Dior, YSL, etc. not sure if ojon still makes their mascara/primer duo but I used that for awhile as well. I liked the benefit they're real in a mini tube but not when I bought the full size...it dried out and I found after awhile my lashes were more brittle. I like the way my lashes feel when I used the ojon or 100% pure..I think it was because they were more natural. Unfortunately, they contain wheat protein and I need to be gluten free for health reasons. Tarte is best I've found so far that combines natural and is gluten free but it still clumps and flakes. I've seen advertisements from Red Apple Lipstick that they're introducing a new gluten free mascara this Summer. I'm curious has anyone else heard of it or tried it? Thanks!

currently using the l'oreal lash out butterfly mascara. i loooooove it. lengthens and volumizes your lashes beautifully. highly recommend.

I switch mascara often cause I try and use my ridiculous stash. I went back to the falsies, and I hate it. The first couple of times I tried it, it was great. Now it seems so clumpy and the formula is already drying out. I haven't even used it that much. Boo, another to add to the dislike pile.

I have tried every mascara out there, I think.. except some of the newer drugstore brands or formulas- because what's the point? I know I'm not going to wear them.. It's a waste of my time to even look. I have a VErY wary relationship with mascara, anyway. It's the ONLY beauty product I dread using. My eyes are sensitive, and I am always in a hurry and sometimes poke my contact lens and eye with the wand. Or a big black glob gets on my antique rug. You name it.

My current faves- Diorshow, all of them, any of them. Best mascara I've tried in a long time, like a decade or more.

I also love Chantecaille Faux Cils but it's a bit hard to find- or I keep forgetting to buy more.. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> They make a kick butt wonderful waterproof non-oily concealer too,. been looking for it..

When I was single and scrimping, I liked Almay One Coat waterproof, I also bought a Lancome' one for years but I don't remember the name and I would not use Lancome' again, I don't think. I've gotten too many samples of " Extencils" in PWP bags over the years to have any Lancome' mascara will to use or love left. ( I threw it away but after a while, it's like bunnies mating)

The Buxoms are OK. Several formulas of every brand of course, but I think I kept one Buxom for my updated makeup line. BE used to package them with a lot of things I bought at Sephora.com

Too Faced makes one that's pretty good after a few wand swipes. 

WORST-

The worst was a " natural and organic" made with bee's wax mascara I got in a sub box. Made by Benecos.. It smeared, it ran, it smelled bad and I am pretty sure it was rancid when it arrived. There's a reason that mascara needs to have preservatives. Our eyes are mucus membranes, meaning that they are an open portal for bacteria to enter. 

Let's start at the top with commercially more available failures: Blinc, absolutely worst commercially marketed mascara I've ever tried in my life. In fact, I think if there was a category for " evil makeup you've bought" Blinc mascara would be on my list. Try getting one of those " tubes" in your eye with a contact lens. You will want to die trying to fish it out.

Everything that is sold at a USA drug store:  Maybelline, Cover Girl, Wet n Wild, Rimmel, Revlon, Max Factor ( the worst for bad smells I think) and etc. etc. has ever made. They smudge, they flake, they emit fumes which make my eyes water and stay red, they blur my vision with their toxins. Mostly, though, they run and spurt out clumps of their black goo all over my face from the wand. Horrible terrible things. 

For me, L'Oreal is not quite as bad as the other drugstore brands. Maybe because I know it's cheaper Lancome parent brand. 

Let's start at the top with commercially more available failures: Blinc, absolutely worst commercially marketed mascara I've ever tried in my life. In fact, I think if there was a category for " evil makeup you've bought" Blinc mascara would be on my list. Try getting one of those " tubes" in your eye with a contact lens. You will want to die trying to fish it out.
I agree that Blinc is the worst mascara! It is the only one I've ever used that makes my lashes look SHORTER than normal. 

Good ones:

Blinc,

PTR Lashes to Die For

I only have sample sizes of these but I really like them: If I am in need I probably would purchase in this order:

D&G Passion Eyes Mascara

Bobbi Brown Intensifying Long-Wear Mascara

Buxom Lash

I'm surprised to see Chantecaille Faux Cils Mascara on a couple peoples fave list..I thought the formula was just too dry. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance..

I LOVE Tarte layered with Younique Fiber Lashes. My eyes had gotten so sensitive that I couldn't wear mascara. I'm a red head so this wasn't an option. I can wear these with no eye watering and if I layer it really looks like falsies. Only thing is it's not waterproof which I'm not used to.

I'm surprised to see Chantecaille Faux Cils Mascara on a couple peoples fave list..I thought the formula was just too dry. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance..

I just looked at my mascara label and it's actually Chantecaille Faux Cils Longest Lash Mascara. 

So it's not the regular one, but the one which DOES lengthen lashes.

I have lots of lashes, and they are long but mascara is intended to add volume and length,and I hate wearing it, so I go for the full out luxury if I have to use it. It's around $75 but worth every penny, IMO. I do try to use it to the last of the tube for sure. 

It's not dry at all. Not even when you need a new one like I do LOL. I don't like extremely " wet" forumulations, and this one is " just right" for me as a contact lens wearer. (I never ever add anything like water to my mascaras. It breeds bacteria and can lead to blindness in a hurry). 

It's tops and all the Diorshow mascara I use are a close second. Some of the Diorshow formulas ARE a bit hard to coax out of the tube, not exactly what I would call dry but I think it's the fiber formulas they use. There are several formulas of Diorshow that I haven't tried but I think most people love the original the best.. I do.

GiGI

Back