Matching eyeshadow to eye color?? Nahhhh

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lot of people ask what color of eye shadow is appropriate for certain eye colors. Recently a good friend of mine asked me for advice on what colors could match her green eyes. I told her girl, if you do your makeup right you can wear just about any color out there. I think it's more important that the e/s complements the hair color / outfit color, then overall everything will match. Also, trying to match the e/s color to the eye color is very limiting, and I don't think that people should limit themselves in their creativity. So yeah I always tell girls to just go to MAC and try some stuff. What about you guys?

I agree. Many people tell me "you have blue eyes so don't get blue eyeshadow." Well I tried some blue eyeshadow today and loved it! While browns for the most part flatter my blue eyes, some shades of brown look absolutely terrible on me. It's all trial and error.

I'm like you, MissNadia, I just wear whatever e/s colors I feel like wearing even though I have green eyes.

Same here. I am told don't wear green e/s with green eyes. I have olive/yellow skin tone and find that olive green e/s does not look good with my skin tone, however a jade green does bring out the green in my eyes and goes with my skin tone. I think you have to play around until you find something you like. Screw the 'rules' lol.

I have light golden brown/green eyes. I wear just about every colour of shadow and liner except blue. And I never match my make up colour(s) to my clothes.

I read somewhere that you should use colors that "pop" your eyes. For example, for us brown eyed girls, we can wear just about any color, but greens and purples really will make our eyes stand out. For those with green eyes, browns and bronzes will look outstanding. Those with blues...if I remember correctly, they can wear lighter shades like violets and pinks. But I agree with the rest of you, wear what you are comfortable with.

The only reason I wouldn't wear an e/s colour is b/c it's not at all flaterring on me and not b/c it doesn't match my eye colour, outfit or whatever.

that's what Kevin Aucoin says, there shouldn't be a limit. I always feel I have to wear colors other than brown though. (Even though I LOVE browns!!)

I have green eyes, and the greens in Milani's Earthly Delights quad are great, I use all of them semi-regularly (except the light green that I can't seem to use except under the darker colors, lol). One is a bronzey green, so it is esp. flattering.

sometime blue can make your eyes pop.but a different shade of blue can make you look ugly.

so it all depends.

i learned that two weeks ago

Yeah, I don't try to complement my outfit, I just go for what looks good on me and what I feel like doing that particular day.

There are so many different shades of each color, that there should be no problem finding a nice green that complements green eyes, a blue that complements blue eyes, etc. I wear whatever I'm in the mood for.

I have sharp blue eyes, yet I find that blue eye shadow goes really well with my skin tone. The whole reason I love make up is so I can play and try new looks out, isn't that the important part?:rockwoot:

I was going to quote Kevin too.. I luv Kevin Aucoin and I totally agree I feel depressed whenever I see someone telling people what should or should not be done in makeup... it's so limiting. Of course there are tips to make things work better but there should never be rules. I have brown eyes.. and well I wear whatever color I feel like wearing.

I also think there are no rules. With regard to colours, I agree it's trial and error - I've got blue eyes as well and while icy blues look really pretty, indigo blues look rather weird, frosty light pinks are cute while corally pinks are strange. Same with browns, greens, ... but I would never stay away from a particular colour altogether because supposedly it doesn't match my eye colour.

Rules are to be broken :policeman:

I haven't worn a blue eyeshadow for ages, though...

I have aqua blue eyes so its pretty hard to find anything other than tones of brown, bronze, grey and peach that look nice. Blue looks weird and green looks weird. I wish I could wear more color, but I guess Im lucky Im more of a neutral tone gal anyway (or maybe I am because of that). :rotfl:

i defiantely know what ya mean! i have like blue blue eyes and i always gravitate towards cool shades of brown , browns w/ silver, but i try to wear all colors. however anything pastel meaning very light except for a nuetral look, just looks like crap on me. so i always need bold vibrant or intense colors. plus i try to go with colors that somewhat match my clothes and always my skintone! not really my eye color

Back