Matching eyeshadow to eye color?? Nahhhh

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just stress that they find out their undertones and what flatters them.

Personally I don't think there are any "rules". Wear what you like and feel good in! I was so scared to try blue shadows with my blue eyes, but I did, and now, most often, I wear blue/green/teal shades. Pink and oranges also flatter my eyes, and I usually stay clear of browns because I don't care for how they look on me. It's all about personal preference if you ask me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think originally these "rules" might have been invented by the sales reps to kind of take a decision for those people who didn't know.. So all the Sales reps got together in a conspiracy to establish some "no-fail" color palette for each eye color.

I'm AA, have brown eyes and black hair. Every makeup artists has said I have the perfect coloring to try all type of bold colors and combinations and then send me from the counter looking like a tropical bird. I say use what you like and what makes you look good.

Well, you can wear ANY color you want, as long as you find the right shade for you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have dark brown eyes and they say it's a no-no to wear brown e/s if you have brown eyes! But I love wearing brown e/s, it looks very pretty on me! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think it's the base colour so much as the tone and shade. I have blue eyes and look rotten in cornflower blue or royal blue but great in navy and denim blues. I like playing with colour and having fun with it.

Rules, schmules! I've got green eyes, so I should wear purple...problem is, some purples make me look like I was punched in the eye! Not what I'm going for. Usually I use a glimmery bronze on the lid, and get more creative with the liner. Also a dab of light green right above the pupils to make the green in my eyes shine. I think those rules were created when only a few colors of ES existed.

Just remembered- I got an ES that EXACTLY matches my eye color. ..thought it would be great. HAhaha this washed out my eyes completely. Looked like giant eyeball girl. Horrible.

If it's any consolation, I am taking a makeup artistry program, and my instructor has not given us any specific rules about eyeshadow colour. You have to play around and pick stuff that looks good on the person that you are working on. With creativity, you can make any colour work. There are so many different variations of specific colours, you are bound to find something that suits someone.

We had an older lady come into our classroom for a demonstration. My instructor did her makeup infront of the class. She told him that she loved blue eyeshadow. He hates blue shadow, but he made it work for her. He combined some great shades, and put it on very subtly. She looked amazing when he was done.

I believe that there are no rules. If you look great....go for it!

I have blue eyes and have stayed away from blue e/s like the plague. I will use a couple of blue liners but my black mascara goes over it. I think though today there are so, so many choices out there. The blues I bought never complimented my eyes, they made them look toward the green side.I finally ordered a blue from Mad Minerals the other day. If anything, it will be a great eyeliner.

The only color that I found doesn't work on me is olive green. I have blue eyes, and can get away with any other color.

Always and never should be used when applying makeup. People always want to put guidelines on applications, but makeup artists are artists and can usually make anything work. I've seen blue shadows on blue eyes that look awesome.

I just like all the colors and I wear all of them (if I can.) The only color I really avoid is blue shades because they don't look good with my coloring. My eyes are green/brown and purple and red really makes the green stand out!

Back