May 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love the idea of going through what I have and giving away the stuff I'll not use. I almost--ALMOST--think it would be nice to be able to fit the makeup collection into a decent-sized train case and just start buying those items I consider HG.

Then again, how does one FIND their HG products without experimenting? LOL

My friends and I are planning to do a beauty product swap either this week or the next, so I'm pretty excited about that~ I'll be able to give away some stuff that's taking up space (and maybe get some new stuff for free, lol! 
icon_lol.gif
).  Just seeing stuff that's "new" to me is exciting, so I think it'll help keep me on track (as long as I don't bring home more than I give away!).

I've been thinking the same thing, that I really would love to fit everything into one traincase/smallish sterlite container with the drawers. I'm a bit sick of rummaging through piles of crap, and there are lots of products in my collection that I like, but very few that I'm actually in love with. I guess in order to find HG products while keeping stuff under control, you buy only one or two items at a time, and then once those are finished, you move on if they aren't the one?

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really love the idea of going through what I have and giving away the stuff I'll not use. I almost--ALMOST--think it would be nice to be able to fit the makeup collection into a decent-sized train case and just start buying those items I consider HG.

Then again, how does one FIND their HG products without experimenting? LOL
I just sent off some items for a trade, and it was pretty exciting! I'm happy to send off items to a new home, especially since I know that they'd just never get used and go to waste if they were here. 

Originally Posted by BlueSakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My friends and I are planning to do a beauty product swap either this week or the next, so I'm pretty excited about that~ I'll be able to give away some stuff that's taking up space (and maybe get some new stuff for free, lol! 
icon_lol.gif
).  Just seeing stuff that's "new" to me is exciting, so I think it'll help keep me on track (as long as I don't bring home more than I give away!).

I did pick up a Rimmel Lash Accelerator Serum and a Rimmel lipstick last night, but I bought them WITH ECBs and got back $8 in ECB's, so it was a profit situation. Doesn't attack the magpie tendency of accumulating, but at least it isn't hitting my wallet, so I can consider yesterday successful.

Now if I can JUST resist the temptation to hit Bath & Body Works and Ulta en route to work.

I'm starting my no buy tomorrow. I need to pick up my serum today & its spendy. But I'm using b-day money. I really need to stay on track. I'm giving myself permission to join glossybox & crave box (already put $ aside). I'm narrowed down to 3 subs (I had 9) - bb, ss & julep. I'm really considering canceling ss. I loved the first box but I'm not too excited about April or Mays box.

Ready for a shock? I drove to ulta on my lunch. And turned around without even getting out of the car.....

Ready for a shock? I drove to ulta on my lunch. And turned around without even getting out of the car.....

Way to go!!

Go you! If I could high-five you, I totally would. That's awesome you were able to resist the allure of Ulta!

Woohoo!!

So I made it through Day Four. In addition to the "turning around and not even getting out of the car" (that STILL has me shocked), I managed to go to Walmart (for legit reasons--I was looking for a toolbox in which to store my makeup, since I've been talking about paring it down a bit).....and even though I'm OUT of matte top coat, still didn't buy it or ANYthing else.

Granted, that might be because I was DYING for the loo and it was closed for cleaning. But still.

So I made it through Day Four. In addition to the "turning around and not even getting out of the car" (that STILL has me shocked), I managed to go to Walmart (for legit reasons--I was looking for a toolbox in which to store my makeup, since I've been talking about paring it down a bit).....and even though I'm OUT of matte top coat, still didn't buy it or ANYthing else.

Granted, that might be because I was DYING for the loo and it was closed for cleaning. But still.
Woohoo, well done! It's SO much harder to resist buying when you have it right in front of your face, so huge round of applause!!! 
claps.gif

Day 1. I got 5 packages in the mail yesterday so I filled up a basket w/ all of it. Anytime I am tempted to buy something, I'm going to get something out of the basket & use it. I've already been in the basket.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Day 1. I got 5 packages in the mail yesterday so I filled up a basket w/ all of it. Anytime I am tempted to buy something, I'm going to get something out of the basket & use it. I've already been in the basket.
Yay for Stash Shopping! Especially on the newly received items. When I shop in my drawers (ha! funny mental image; storage drawers, not underwear), I am usually embarrassed to find duplicates.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm starting my no buy tomorrow. I need to pick up my serum today & its spendy. But I'm using b-day money. I really need to stay on track. I'm giving myself permission to join glossybox & crave box (already put $ aside). I'm narrowed down to 3 subs (I had 9) - bb, ss & julep. I'm really considering canceling ss. I loved the first box but I'm not too excited about April or Mays box.
Wow! From 9 subs down to 3, and one of them totally skippable. Nice. Very commendable.

Cravebox doesn't pull on me, but Glossybox sure does. I think Sample Society would have to be the one to go to make room for Glossybox. I love Birchbox and its annual anyway. MyGlam is annual, so not an option, and I like them for the most part. Conscious Box is split between me and my brother...dumb. That just made me realize that getting rid of both Conscious Box and Sample Society would be the realistic way to justify Glossybox, monetarily speaking. If I can hold out until December, I could cancel MyGlam and use my annual bonus to prepay for Glossybox annual (if available), and keep Conscious Box and Sample Society until then...

Ohhh, Glossybox. I want one so badly! I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get the first one, either. Unfortunately, as much as I want one, I don't think I can justify another sub right now, especially since I have so many full, unused products cluttering my bathroom. Siiiigh. One day, one day. 

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow! From 9 subs down to 3, and one of them totally skippable. Nice. Very commendable.

Cravebox doesn't pull on me, but Glossybox sure does. I think Sample Society would have to be the one to go to make room for Glossybox. I love Birchbox and its annual anyway. MyGlam is annual, so not an option, and I like them for the most part. Conscious Box is split between me and my brother...dumb. That just made me realize that getting rid of both Conscious Box and Sample Society would be the realistic way to justify Glossybox, monetarily speaking. If I can hold out until December, I could cancel MyGlam and use my annual bonus to prepay for Glossybox annual (if available), and keep Conscious Box and Sample Society until then...

I've been viewing unboxings on youtube and reading people's blog posts about them, and I tried to tell myself that nope, I didn't really want one, and it's not that good. Despite my attempt to lie to myself and trick my brain, it didn't work, hah. 

I did win one of the first Glossyboxes. It made the craving worse.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been viewing unboxings on youtube and reading people's blog posts about them, and I tried to tell myself that nope, I didn't really want one, and it's not that good. Despite my attempt to lie to myself and trick my brain, it didn't work, hah. 
I can't vouch for the other countries' unboxing, but as far as the USA ones: The monthly boxes will not be as good as the first one. The premiere box was almost all full size. The monthly sub boxes will have one full-size item.

Yeah, that's what I've heard...which is probably another reason why I'll hold off. Still, it looks pretty promising. However, I need my money more than I need more beauty products!

I can't vouch for the other countries' unboxing, but as far as the USA ones: The monthly boxes will not be as good as the first one. The premiere box was almost all full size. The monthly sub boxes will have one full-size item.

Yeah, that's what I've heard...which is probably another reason why I'll hold off. Still, it looks pretty promising. However, I need my money more than I need more beauty products!
True! One lady organized her stash by categories, and went "shopping" by selecting a different one from each category every day. That way she felt she was enjoying her cosmetics and creating different looks. I have been doing that with my skincare, except weekly instead of daily.

Back