May 2014 No/Low Buy: Support, Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really need to be on a low-buy this month! I am doing Americorps starting mid-May and I am going to be on a super limited budget that really doesn't have much room at all for beauty. My rules: 

1) Stop buying random drugstore stuff because it's cheap and pretty. Only buy things I really want, and only then if they are on super good coupons/sales! Never pay full price at the drugstore! But don't buy it just because it's cheap! Drugstore things I can buy: Covergirl TruBlend foundation at Rite Aid this week for $2 out of pocket (I have rewards + coupons and it's on sale), 2 Maybelline Color Elixirs from the limited edition collection (ONLY if they are on sale), and up to 4 other items but only if they are really good deals and something I've wanted previously (ie I don't want it just because it is a good deal). 

2) No non-drugstore beauty purchases UNLESS there is a super good deal that costs less than 60% of the normal price, and is something I have thought about paying full-price for. Total must be under $30 as well. Only one of these exceptions for May! 

3) Use samples before purchasing any new skincare or haircare items when I run out. 

4) Maybe reactivate one more BB subscription if it looks like there are going to be things I want and there is a promo code working. Without a promo code, stick to one subscription!

5) Non-beauty spending resolution: stop buying random snack foods. Go home and cook. 

I'm with all of you. April was TERRIBLE. 

May is my birthday month, so normally I would think it okay to buy things for myself, but I'm really SET on a certain goal amount of spending money for London, and I'm only little more than 1/4 way to my goal. So I really MUST NOT spend any money on anything unnecessary. I calculated how much money I'm putting away each pay check and how long it will take me to get to my goal, and I could reach my goal by the end of May if I really stop spending frivolously. 

I'm sure I will be receiving makeup for my birthday from some, so I really hope that can tide me over. 

It's been my dream to visit London since I was literally 5, in 2001. So I WILL NOT LET MYSELF FAIL. I will have the money to experience all of London! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm actually going to change my budget, because I want to save more now for my trip! 

Let's hope May won't be as bad as April!!
You being 5 in 2001 makes me feel old :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I was only 10 in 2001, which I'm sure makes someone else feel old! But I just wanted to say that London is AMAZING, it's my favorite city on earth, and I am so jealous that you are getting to go! I have been 6 times but will not be able to go back for the foreseeable future (I lived in Germany and Ryanair tickets were cheap; now I live in America and it is not cheap to get to England.) So worth saving for! Also even if you're tempted by beauty splurges, think about all the new beauty stuff you can splurge on there, that's always fun too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> All the pretties that we can't get in America! Would you rather have some boring old American makeup that you can buy anytime, or something new and different? And that's not to mention all the non-beauty awesomeness you will experience in London. 

I really need to be on a low-buy this month! I am doing Americorps starting mid-May and I am going to be on a super limited budget that really doesn't have much room at all for beauty. My rules: 
Congrats on AmeriCorps. I finished my term in October so I sympathize completely. If you ever need any help or encouragement lemme know!

I'll be making a much anticipated purchase tomorrow when Caitlin opens the spring Shiro Cosmetics birthday sale and then that's it. I'll be on a strict no spend for May and then hopefully the rest of a the summer. I'll be needing some strict moral support.

April was definitely a fail for me, but I don't feel bad or regret any of the purchases because it was my birthday month. I am going to get back on track for may though! 

My goals this month are pretty simple. My only makeup purchases will be my ipsy and my Birchbox subscription.

I will not purchase any makeup products at all. I really want to start saving up my money over the summer, so I can buy the art supplies I would like and need for school next semester….and art supplies are expensive! this semester killed my wallet! Makeup is something I absolutely do not need. I am well stocked up on everything. Plus, I am racking up my Birchbox points like nobody's business so if I do need something I will purchase it with my points. 

:drive: BAHAHA that emoji! No use for it, but I am gonna use it anyways.

You being 5 in 2001 makes me feel old :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I was only 10 in 2001, which I'm sure makes someone else feel old! But I just wanted to say that London is AMAZING, it's my favorite city on earth, and I am so jealous that you are getting to go! I have been 6 times but will not be able to go back for the foreseeable future (I lived in Germany and Ryanair tickets were cheap; now I live in America and it is not cheap to get to England.) So worth saving for! Also even if you're tempted by beauty splurges, think about all the new beauty stuff you can splurge on there, that's always fun too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> All the pretties that we can't get in America! Would you rather have some boring old American makeup that you can buy anytime, or something new and different? And that's not to mention all the non-beauty awesomeness you will experience in London. 
That's what I was thinking! It's funny too, because the first person to get me into makeup was Panacea81 on YouTube, and she's from the UK. So since I discovered her, I've always coveted Barry M makeup, since she always used it! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And then I found out about Sleek! I have a few palettes that I got through Amazon, but I can't wait to see what I can physically get my hands on across the pond! (While I will most likely buy a lot of makeup, I want to try to get a gorgeous tea cup, too! Can't have too many nice tea cups!)

Also, I think it's so cool that you've traveled so much!! You lived in Germany?! What was it like? I would love to visit there one day, as well. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Congrats on AmeriCorps. I finished my term in October so I sympathize completely. If you ever need any help or encouragement lemme know!

I'll be making a much anticipated purchase tomorrow when Caitlin opens the spring Shiro Cosmetics birthday sale and then that's it. I'll be on a strict no spend for May and then hopefully the rest of a the summer. I'll be needing some strict moral support.
Thanks! I may take you up on that, I don't know anyone IRL who has done Americorps so I might be messaging you some questions later...hope you don't mind too much! 

That's what I was thinking! It's funny too, because the first person to get me into makeup was Panacea81 on YouTube, and she's from the UK. So since I discovered her, I've always coveted Barry M makeup, since she always used it! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And then I found out about Sleek! I have a few palettes that I got through Amazon, but I can't wait to see what I can physically get my hands on across the pond! (While I will most likely buy a lot of makeup, I want to try to get a gorgeous tea cup, too! Can't have too many nice tea cups!)

Also, I think it's so cool that you've traveled so much!! You lived in Germany?! What was it like? I would love to visit there one day, as well. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Sleek eyeshadow palettes and blushes are my favorites! Definitely check out MUA eyeshadow palettes, Collection concealer, and Max Factor cream blushes, too - well, I'm sure you have a million recommendations from the internet, but those are a few of my favorite products :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Yeah, I spent a few years in Germany, and I really miss it! I mean, in some ways I am totally not compatible with the suburban environment I lived in there (you can't do anything loud on Sundays or your neighbors will scold you or at least passive aggressively hate you...and by "loud" I mean totally mundane activities like mowing the lawn, not, like, throwing a crazy party), and the food is not really for me (especially as a vegetarian), but I miss my friends, Berlin is an amazing city (my other regular getaway, when I wasn't spending my vacations in London), and most of all I love how accessible international travel is over there compared to being all the way over here in the U.S. I really wish I could go back in the near future! Sadly, it is not to be, for the moment. I've always made travel a priority for me, and now it's about to be basically impossible, and I feel like I'm going to go crazy!

I'm going to be going on a no-buy in May. I'm moving across the country in June because I'm graduating college and starting a job. I need to stop buying more stuff at least until I get settled in there.

I'm planning on making a Shiro Cosmetics purchase during the sale that some people have already mentioned. Beyond that, I'm going to try not to buy any other makeup, since I really don't need anything right now, and I've already accumulated a lot of makeup in the past half year or so (I didn't really start getting into makeup until recently). I still have a lot of new eyeshadows that I haven't used much, so I'm going to try to focus on getting some use out of my existing makeup instead of buying more.

I'm going to have to go on a low buy for may since pretty much all of my disposable income is going towards my fur baby. We took him grooming today and that ran us almost $140, much more than I pay for my haircuts lol. Not to mention he's due for his vaccines, dog license renewal, and his neutering/dental cleaning towards the end of may/early june. Needless to say I can't buy much. Both of my birchboxes are taken care of (one is annual and the other is prepaid because of the bb100 promo), so I'm leaving room for ipsy & the bergdorf goodman glossybox. Other than that cutting back on eating out & take out is a must, no clothing shopping, and I'm only allowed $50 at sephora for the month. Ahhh this is going to be very hard!

I'm going to have to go on a low buy for may since pretty much all of my disposable income is going towards my fur baby. We took him grooming today and that ran us almost $140, much more than I pay for my haircuts lol. Not to mention he's due for his vaccines, dog license renewal, and his neutering/dental cleaning towards the end of may/early june. Needless to say I can't buy much. Both of my birchboxes are taken care of (one is annual and the other is prepaid because of the bb100 promo), so I'm leaving room for ipsy & the bergdorf goodman glossybox. Other than that cutting back on eating out & take out is a must, no clothing shopping, and I'm only allowed $50 at sephora for the month. Ahhh this is going to be very hard!
$140 for grooming is insane! When I only had a couple dogs, the most I ever paid was $40, and that was only because they tacked on an extra charge because my dog tried to bite them. lol Now that I have six Shih Tzus, I took a dog grooming class and do it myself.

I also need to quit getting take out so much. I always have good intentions on cooking, but then supper rolls around and I become lazy and tired. Even if being 8 months pregnant is a fairly good excuse, I need to cut it out.

Thanks! I may take you up on that, I don't know anyone IRL who has done Americorps so I might be messaging you some questions later...hope you don't mind too much! 
Yeah I don't mind at all!

So I made my big Shiro Cosmetics haul this morning since they're doign their 15% off sale and have a 4th birthday GWP. This signifies my low buy for the summer. I don't want to say no buy just because I feel like it might lead to a binge.

I'm also setting a goal that for every book I finish, I'll pull $20 from my bank account and set aside the cast for the November sales. So basically, rewarding myself for staying off the interwebz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am setting a couple of rules for certain indies for this year because I can feel myself ready for binge-shopping: Shiro can only be purchased at Crafty Wonderland. This will cut things down to two sprees, assuming they are at the holiday one. Otherwise, no Shiro. Espionage can only be purchased at a comic con, although there will be exceptions for the nail wraps if there is a specific event involved. I need a certain set for the 23rd, and I forgot about that last month when the con thing was happening!

$140 for grooming is insane! When I only had a couple dogs, the most I ever paid was $40, and that was only because they tacked on an extra charge because my dog tried to bite them. lol Now that I have six Shih Tzus, I took a dog grooming class and do it myself.

I also need to quit getting take out so much. I always have good intentions on cooking, but then supper rolls around and I become lazy and tired. Even if being 8 months pregnant is a fairly good excuse, I need to cut it out.
Have you tried doing freezer meals? Whenever I cook I usually try to double everything and pop the rest in the freezer (either uncooked or cooked, depending on what it is).  Or some people just make a Saturday of it and whip up like a months worth at a time.  Course it all depends on your freezer space but I've seen some good dry mix recipes too for soups and rice dishes and such.  I love the crockpot in a bag ones, you just dump and go!

Have you tried doing freezer meals? Whenever I cook I usually try to double everything and pop the rest in the freezer (either uncooked or cooked, depending on what it is).  Or some people just make a Saturday of it and whip up like a months worth at a time.  Course it all depends on your freezer space but I've seen some good dry mix recipes too for soups and rice dishes and such.  I love the crockpot in a bag ones, you just dump and go!
I wish I could do this! I have the pickiest kids, plus I have gestational diabetes right now, so I end up making so many different things for each meal. I also don't have a ton of freezer space, as whenever I find any meat at a good price, I buy a ton. I would like to freeze at least some meals for after the baby comes, the one they gave me at the hospital last time I had a baby was nice. I'm remembering a couple years ago, breast feeding my newborn while my oldest two fed themselves leftover garlic bread and Oreos for breakfast. They're old enough to make better than that this time, but I'd like to avoid it anyway. lol

It is! Everything is so over priced in manhattan so I try to only take him to the groomers when it's necessary but the reason they charge to much is because most places charge you based on the breed. Once I tell them I have a maltese they want to charge at least $90. 

Ok so I am skipping on some subs this month:

Skipping Popsugar Must Have, Julep. Also I am holding strong and not buying anything from the Julep secret store either. I am skipping on My Bijoux Box, cancelled Steepster, cancelled Nature Box for now but may get another box once my snacks run out since I have a code. Expecting my Conscious Box this month but will cancel as soon as I get it since I just wanted to try it out. 

I am holding strong to not make any more Ulta online orders....

I am still keeping my Birchbox and Ipsy since they are annual subs. 

I did just make an Origins.com order for a little over $8 but it was great sample sizes and I used ebates.

I am giving my friend with allergies a ton of samples I got from Drugstore.com com and I am giving my friend with a new baby a bunch of baby cream and gummy vite samples and sunscreen also from a drugstore order.

I am going home tonight and taking a long shower and using a hair mask, face mask and trying new product samples that I have stocked up. Also going to do a self tanner and white strips. 

Trying to use stuff and actually try things!

Ok so I am skipping on some subs this month:

Skipping Popsugar Must Have, Julep. Also I am holding strong and not buying anything from the Julep secret store either. I am skipping on My Bijoux Box, cancelled Steepster, cancelled Nature Box for now but may get another box once my snacks run out since I have a code. Expecting my Conscious Box this month but will cancel as soon as I get it since I just wanted to try it out. 

I am holding strong to not make any more Ulta online orders....

I am still keeping my Birchbox and Ipsy since they are annual subs. 

I did just make an Origins.com order for a little over $8 but it was great sample sizes and I used ebates.

I am giving my friend with allergies a ton of samples I got from Drugstore.com com and I am giving my friend with a new baby a bunch of baby cream and gummy vite samples and sunscreen also from a drugstore order.

I am going home tonight and taking a long shower and using a hair mask, face mask and trying new product samples that I have stocked up. Also going to do a self tanner and white strips. 

Trying to use stuff and actually try things!
The last couple of months I have been very diligent about my skin care routine in an effort to use stuff up and, as a result, my skin has never looked better! Plus, it does help the low buy I think :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've gone CRAZY in the past two months. I'm really worried about my mom's credit card bill coming in. I already told her, in writing, no more crazy spending. I need a few clothing pieces, and she pays for about 60% of my clothing so that's not a problem. Just NO MORE makeup. Except a good drugstore concealer. Sephora and Ulta are off limits for a while. And then in June when I get paid again I get to spend somewhere less than half. But I need LUSH skincare stuff so at least I won't be getting more makeup. I'm thinking Full of Grace, Imperialis, Enchanted eye cream, Grease Lightning, and R&B. But I'll order from the UK: better prices and great samples (if you request them). My skin has been not so good even though I haven't changed anything, so I've been burning through my Grease Lightning sample. ugh... I'm dying to get the Tarte 6 piece set (talk about crazy deal) but I don't have $60... that's long gone. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> hoping it will be around this summer, maybe august? 

Day one! Good luck everyone!

I'm getting my hair done tonight so that's not really the BEST start to no buy but it is soooo needed and planned so it doesn't count. I'm actually kind of excited to see how my exsisting makeup looks with my hair a different color!

I think my new "resistance to buying" method will be placing my OMG WANT TO BUY THE NEW PRETTY RIGHT NOW items on my midsummer secret Santa wish list. This should keep me in check til July!

(I just found Shiro Cosmetics. I must be stopped)

Back