May 2014 No/Low Buy: Support, Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my new "resistance to buying" method will be placing my OMG WANT TO BUY THE NEW PRETTY RIGHT NOW items on my midsummer secret Santa wish list. This should keep me in check til July!

(I just found Shiro Cosmetics. I must be stopped)
Bahahaha this is what I did.  I'm probably going to buy the UD Electric Palette soon though, because I can't get over it.  And then I'm going to PURGE MY DRAWERS and try to sell everything (that I don't use, of course).

Hi girls. I think it's a good idea for me to read these posts from you girls. I am pretty much out of control. I think I might have a legit sephora addiction!

The only sub boxes I get are 2 ipsy bags per month. Somehow I always seem to drool over the things I didn't get and I obsess about trying everything. Last moth was bad. I got nothing I wanted in my bags and became an obsessed crazy woman on a trading spree. I also used discout codes for demeter and city color to buy a bunch foe stuff i had no buisness buying.I don't want to give up my ipsy because it makes me super happy. It is clear though that I need to chill out with the spending $$ I don't have when my make up stash is one that would take me forever to use up. There is no need for me to buy anything new. Maybe reading no/low buy post will help me stay committed to wanting to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I guess my challenge this moth would be, accept what is in my ipsy happily with a couple trades possible but NO BUYING no matter how good the codes are. Also No sephora, No exceptions.

My last hurrah for April was a trial membership to From The Lab - only $6, but it's all those little purchases that add up! Now, it is officially money saving time. 

It's definitely time for me to go on a no/low buy this month. I'm officially subscribing to Ipsy now, along with the, um, multitude of other subscription services I have. It's actually terrible. Plus, I'm taking some school courses over the summer, so that's a whole bunch of money down the tubes. So...

Definitely NO drug store or mall purchases for the next month. I just went to the mall for some clothes, and with all my subscriptions coming in I'll have plenty of skin care and make up (at least, I have to convince myself of that). I just bought some new hygiene products (toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc) and even bus tickets so there's no reason for me to even THINK about that anymore. I'll be happy if I don't even step foot into the drug store in the next month.

I'm thinking box wise, maybe one Golden Tote, preferably the $49. (I'm going to ship to my boyfriend in the States unlike this time, and circumvent the $25 international shipping). For Memebox, as much as it pains me (IT PAINS ME A LOT), no purchases unless they release a sun protection box like I was hoping for. NO NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS THIS MONTH. (I've been eying, like, five.)

I know I'll have to buy some new cat food later this month, but my rule this time around is no picking up anything extra for the cat! He's a spoiler brat as it stands, he doesn't need anything else right now.

Finally, I'm setting down a rule for myself to only "eat out" (that is, buy any consumable item from anywhere that isn't a grocery store) twice a week. Since I rarely eat at sit-down restaurants this rule will cut down on my constant coffee runs, which really add up over time.

Good luck to everyone!

I made my Shiro Cosmetics purchase - which I've been planning for a week and a half, so I'm good with that. I also ended up buying fewer things than I anticipated - I only bought The Hobbit Collection (granted, full-size jars because I want the labels) and I resisted the Miyazaki Tints; Gelato Beach Blush; Ditto, Vine Whip, and Bubblebeam from the Super Effective Collection (Pokemon); Mockingjay from the Tributes Collection (Hunger Games); and Plausible Walrus (the new Color of the Month).

This morning when I was putting on my foundation, I realized that all 3 of my foundations will likely be too light for me in the summer. Ulta sent me a 5x points offer for the new bareMinerals BareSkin Serum Foundation valid until May 10th (with free shipping), so I'll think about that for the next couple of days and use all 3 of my foundations to confirm that they will be too light. It's totally possible that I will talk myself out of this, so we'll see.

I don't have any subs and I'm planning on keeping it that way.

I purchased almost 20 memeboxes in 1 month in a half @ 23$-49$+shipping, and today Im NOT going to buy any more boxes!!!! Although I've been eyeing down sephora.com..... I swear, not buying any beauty products is like trying to quit smoking, its soo bloody hard, I get anxiety just thinking about cutting back on purchases. Paypal even limited my buying account because I made too many Memebox purchases ( I guess that's a good thing?)

I did get some take out today because I was away from home at lunch time due to doctors appts, so that was a fail. But I did go look around both TJMaxx and Ulta without buying anything. I only went to TJMaxx to look for some socks I thought they had and didn't. And I went to Ulta because I was at the mall buying some kids clothes with a great coupon. I swatched some stuff and left. It was enough to satisfy me. I've noticed with my gestational diabetes, if I go to the bakery section at the grocery store and just look and imagine what stuff tastes like, it's enough to satisfy me for awhile. Luckily, it worked with makeup too, because there were several things I really wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm joining in again this month. Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel Ipsy yesterday. Ugh!! I hate doing things on my phone so I completely forgot to do it.  I've cancelled Birchbox though!

But I'm trying to use up as many products as I can. I'm saving my empties to do a lil blog post at the end of the month & seeing all those empties make me feel like I've accomplished a bit! I'll probably be cancelling FCS after this box too since I have SO MANY bath products!

I'm joining in again this month. Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel Ipsy yesterday. Ugh!! I hate doing things on my phone so I completely forgot to do it. I've cancelled Birchbox though!

But I'm trying to use up as many products as I can. I'm saving my empties to do a lil blog post at the end of the month & seeing all those empties make me feel like I've accomplished a bit! I'll probably be cancelling FCS after this box too since I have SO MANY bath products!
That is a great idea! That would feel so good to see it all used up! Please do post a link here when you do so we can read it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm joining in again this month. Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel Ipsy yesterday. Ugh!! I hate doing things on my phone so I completely forgot to do it.  I've cancelled Birchbox though!

Keeping track of empties is a big help for me. It helps remind me of how long it takes to use some things up!

New rule to my low-buy: if something is under $1 per item, it doesn't count. Not that I'm going to be stocking up on 99 cent Wet N Wild eyeliners, but if something is basically free because of rewards/coupons/gift cards/points and I just have to pay tax or something, that is totally allowed! That's how I started off my low-buy today at Rite Aid, too...Sinful Colors polish in Blue La La, NYC bronzer, and a bag of chips for $1.34.

Although maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Maybe I should have bought something I would have bought anyway, even if it wasn't on sale, and used my rewards to get a discount on that, instead of random stuff because it's basically free....

Something to think about, I guess. 

For those keeping track of their empties, don't forget about our official used it up thread!  I always want to join in, but I'm such a flitterer that I very rarely finish even a deluxe sample, which is part of the reason I'm trying to hang out in the no-buy threads more often now.

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/71992-the-official-used-it-up-thread/

Okay, time to update my May goals!

Progress: Still keeping my New Year's resolution of no unnecessary products and cutting down my stash (the very colorful person inside of me is having a hard time with this!). I have already finished a product this month!

Goals: Finish one of each blush, tinted lip balm, lip gloss, and at least one sample product. Without trying I will probably finish my toner, hair conditioner, brush cleanser, makeup remover and face cleanser. Other products might reach until June but we shall see!

ok. new game plan.

no clothes shopping. no make up buying. no eating out.

(tryna loose some weight here, gotta stop buying clothes that i'm hoping wont fit me in a short time anyway ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

Uh. This is another two-GDE-order month. I was going to wait to order it until the new collection release on the 12th, but Foil Me might not last that long, so I went ahead and picked some more up along with some Control Freak (also something I had been planning on ordering later) and a sample jar of Melancholy because I've been wanting a bright blue for the second half of spring.

So short version: I'm making two orders, but it's more a matter of splitting one order consisting of old and new stuff into two orders. I just don't want to risk running out of Foil Me!

I made my Shiro Cosmetics purchase - which I've been planning for a week and a half, so I'm good with that. I also ended up buying fewer things than I anticipated - I only bought The Hobbit Collection (granted, full-size jars because I want the labels) and I resisted the Miyazaki Tints; Gelato Beach Blush; Ditto, Vine Whip, and Bubblebeam from the Super Effective Collection (Pokemon); Mockingjay from the Tributes Collection (Hunger Games); and Plausible Walrus (the new Color of the Month).

This morning when I was putting on my foundation, I realized that all 3 of my foundations will likely be too light for me in the summer. Ulta sent me a 5x points offer for the new bareMinerals BareSkin Serum Foundation valid until May 10th (with free shipping), so I'll think about that for the next couple of days and use all 3 of my foundations to confirm that they will be too light. It's totally possible that I will talk myself out of this, so we'll see.

I don't have any subs and I'm planning on keeping it that way.
I spent $94 on Wednesday when the sale started. Needles to say, that's how I closed up April and started my no buy the next day.

Got my haircut today (allowed, I just ran out of April to get it done) and didn't let her talk me into any products! I really liked some of them too. Very proud of myself though.

I spent $94 on Wednesday when the sale started. Needles to say, that's how I closed up April and started my no buy the next day.
I went under the budget I had set myself for the Shiro sale... and am now kind of regretting not getting more. But! I told myself that I can buy the Miyazaki tints and other stuff (I hope Plausible Walrus will still be around) during the Cyber Monday sale, which is Dec 1 this year and my birthday month (assuming Shiro has a Cyber Monday sale...)

I've also talked myself out of getting a new foundation. I found bareMinerals minis (1 original and 1 matte) from a kit I got from Ulta and I think the color will work. The new bareMinerals foundation has also been getting poor reviews, so if I really do need a darker shade I'll wait until June to do anything about it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back