Menopause & Getting Older

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quit worrying, it ages you. Enjoy yourself, your coming into a your freedom years!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I know that it can be very frustrating finding what works for your body when you are going through M. I tried various herbs including black cohosh, chastetree berry, primrose and flax seed oil, vitamins, and progesterone cream. They worked to a degree. Finally I found something that worked even better. I have been taking an herbal combination called Lunazon and Warrior by Rainforest Bio-Energetics, for the past month. All of my menopausal symptoms are gone! I also have noticed more energy, mental alertness, and more flexibility since I started taking their herbs.

Amethyst, Amethyst, Amethyst!!!!!! What AM I going to do with you Girl????

I'm 41 and you know what..I GOT IT GOIN' ON!!!!

And o.k. I was a Super Late Bloomer..but still. Getting enough (a lot) of sleep helps. I lived 17 years in the very cold high Mountains of the Sierra and I believe that "preserved" me.!!!

I know how it is to feel like an old dog going to lose your teeth and sexuality and everything. But look at Raquel Welch. Or Mary Steenburgen. Or Kim. or maph. And it doesn't take a lot of money. You have a great sense of humor, and trust me, that will keep you young a lot longer than Plastic Surgery, Drinking Virgin's Blood or those Deals with the Devil I'm making ( JUST KIDDING). Avoid Sick, Negative or just plain downer critical people like yeterday's cold toast.

I have tons of Fibroid tumors like Jen, but no way are they takin' it OUT OF ME ferheavinsake!!!! They have all kinds of ways of dealing with that stuff now. And take Kim's advice about the naturapathy. I have no children...been trying....I have some major railroad track wrinkles...know what? I Still got it GOIN ON!

I'll just bet that you do too.....So Shine up that glossy coat on your Avitar... stay away from the Du Wop or whatever Lip Venom......and have a strut!

Originally Posted by Jen I'm 44 and have been diagnosed with an enlarged uterus w/fibroid tumors inside. Of course, my gyn wanted to do a hysterecomy. He wasn't pushy at all but thought that would be the best way to handle this situation.
My family dr. is a DO. I went to him and he has put me on DIM (large doses), calcium glucarate, natural progesterone cream and SSKI (basically iodine). I have just started taking these things. The DO wants me to go back in 6-9 months for a repeat sonogram to see if the fibroids may have shrunk. When menopause hits, the fibroids shrink anyway.

Doctors/surgeons are in business to do business. So, I'm gonna try this other treatment method and see what happens. I can live with the enlarged uterus. It really isn't causing any pain at all. I'd love to not have my period but that is a part of life.

This was kind of off subject but just wanted to add it.

I do feel good and I'm enjoying life! 44 is just a number!
icon_smile.gif

Amethyst, I hope you are having a better day today...let us know.
biggrin.gif

Jen, yeah I have the same prob. (the Fibroids) You said it about docs being in business ( I ought to know..ahhumm) and try the other treatment w/o the hysterectomy. Do you have any kids?

I'll talk what i know about menopause (it's not much, since i'm just in the 3rd year of medicine - here in brazil are 6 years):

1. Don't be afraid of it.

2. The whole process of menopausa can take from 10 to 15 years, and the last period can be anywhere between this time

3. The main reason that one of the ladies here friend is still cycling may be because she still has eggs (i'm not sure if it's the name in english) to release. but one day it will finish (it's sad... only men produces spermatozoids constantly, an egg from a 41-old woman has 41 years...)

4. Why some doctors say that if you have a fibroid thing in your uterus you should remove it: even though most of time they won't never become a cancer, since they're hormone-dependent , if you get pregnant or start to have hormonal variation it can grow a lot and make damage by pressing the area around (in the pregnancy case, it's even worse, because it fights with the baby for the pelvis space).

4.1. But like most of you said , it's not the case. Everyone should be followed carefully and the surgery should be the LAST LAST LAST option, after all it also has its risks (like a mom of a friend that had to make an abortion - the baby died in the uterus - and the doctor made such a mess and the poor lady died)

5. Yeah, estrogens are a little bad for the body, but like all of things in life, just in excess (or in the menopause case, when it's not supposed to exist).

5.1. Estrogen is what make the women feel sexier in the 1st part of the cycle, when the ovulation occurs , making the women ready for sex and etc...

5.2. Progesterone , in the other hand, predominates in the 2nd half, it's what makes us become more like "mother" (because like its name says - in portuguese and latin languages it makes a lot of sense - pro - promove - promotes - gesterona -gestação - pregnancy). And in the last 4 days before the period has a little raise in the estrogen levels and 1 day before the period both hormones fall

6. If menopause is hard on you (like it's been with Shera) why not take hormones for a while? Yes, they can do harm , but it's all about life quality. Why she has to suffer so much if there's something that can help?

7. There are synthetic hormones that are not made from horse estrogen. But they're a lot more expensive (like that, my mom used to use one - animal-based - that costed like 30 dollars ,now the synthetic non-animal based costs around 80)

8. Natural things are a good choice, but you always have to be careful. Most of them don't do any harm at all, but you never know for sure... Like that, here in my city there is a plant that a lot of people use to lose weight, but it causes a HUGE liver damage, so it's not safe

9. I don't know for sure, but the way that medicine is getting in the USA make us afraid. Most of the doctors are afraid of a law suit, so they avoid much contact with the patient, and if something goes wrong the doctor get sued (even if it's not him/her fault - like an allergy caused by an anesthesia).

Kisses to everyone. Notice that i only try to do my best, i'm just a little girl learning about everything (do you believe that i'm already 18 and i didn't kiss anyone yet?)

The fact is that after you go thru menopause and stop producing your own hormones, any hormone you take is unnatural for your body. It doesn't matter if it's synthetic or plant based. Plant based hormones are dicey because they don't receive the funding for tests from drug companies that synthetics do. Hopefully that will change because we need more options. I'm in my mid 50's, was on Premphase, then Prempro, and I literally sailed thru menopause. But after the study on Prempro came out I stopped taking it (against my dr's advice, but that's another story). I couldn't deal with the hot flashes and night sweats so I tried Remifemin (black cohosh). Within 6 wks. the hot flashes and night sweats were gone, but then I had a period, my first in almost 3 yrs. Now I'm back to nada. I've lost 55 lbs. in the past yr. and a half and IMO that's helped my menopause symptoms, self esteem issues, and general health and well being more than any hormone.

Jeez, there's a ton of valuable information in this thread and my head is spinning. I haven't reached menopause yet but I'm certainly wanting to prepare myself for it, so my *discomfort* is minimal. I know what I don't want to happen, but I do know we don't always have control over things as our body passes through phases of life changes.

When the time comes for me, I'll be here looking for all of you, crying, and whining and asking tons of questions and hopefully I'll still be able to pull this thread out of the archives.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by lia_matos I'll talk what i know about menopause (it's not much, since i'm just in the 3rd year of medicine - here in brazil are 6 years):
1. Don't be afraid of it.

2. The whole process of menopausa can take from 10 to 15 years, and the last period can be anywhere between this time

3. The main reason that one of the ladies here friend is still cycling may be because she still has eggs (i'm not sure if it's the name in english) to release. but one day it will finish (it's sad... only men produces spermatozoids constantly, an egg from a 41-old woman has 41 years...)

4. Why some doctors say that if you have a fibroid thing in your uterus you should remove it: even though most of time they won't never become a cancer, since they're hormone-dependent , if you get pregnant or start to have hormonal variation it can grow a lot and make damage by pressing the area around (in the pregnancy case, it's even worse, because it fights with the baby for the pelvis space).

4.1. But like most of you said , it's not the case. Everyone should be followed carefully and the surgery should be the LAST LAST LAST option, after all it also has its risks (like a mom of a friend that had to make an abortion - the baby died in the uterus - and the doctor made such a mess and the poor lady died)

5. Yeah, estrogens are a little bad for the body, but like all of things in life, just in excess (or in the menopause case, when it's not supposed to exist).

5.1. Estrogen is what make the women feel sexier in the 1st part of the cycle, when the ovulation occurs , making the women ready for sex and etc...

5.2. Progesterone , in the other hand, predominates in the 2nd half, it's what makes us become more like "mother" (because like its name says - in portuguese and latin languages it makes a lot of sense - pro - promove - promotes - gesterona -gestação - pregnancy). And in the last 4 days before the period has a little raise in the estrogen levels and 1 day before the period both hormones fall

6. If menopause is hard on you (like it's been with Shera) why not take hormones for a while? Yes, they can do harm , but it's all about life quality. Why she has to suffer so much if there's something that can help?

7. There are synthetic hormones that are not made from horse estrogen. But they're a lot more expensive (like that, my mom used to use one - animal-based - that costed like 30 dollars ,now the synthetic non-animal based costs around 80)

8. Natural things are a good choice, but you always have to be careful. Most of them don't do any harm at all, but you never know for sure... Like that, here in my city there is a plant that a lot of people use to lose weight, but it causes a HUGE liver damage, so it's not safe

9. I don't know for sure, but the way that medicine is getting in the USA make us afraid. Most of the doctors are afraid of a law suit, so they avoid much contact with the patient, and if something goes wrong the doctor get sued (even if it's not him/her fault - like an allergy caused by an anesthesia).

Kisses to everyone. Notice that i only try to do my best, i'm just a little girl learning about everything (do you believe that i'm already 18 and i didn't kiss anyone yet?)

I agree that you need to be careful taking certain herbs. They can be toxic. Best to work with an herbalist in some cases, or do a lot of your own research.

hello Amythest-

We are so busy regretting the past and worrying about the future that today is passing us right by. Yes, God willing, you will live long enough to go thru menopause, as women have since the dawn of civilization. Maybe in 5 years, maybe not for 20. Deal with it when it happens. There's nothing wrong with investigating the options, just don't obsess! For some women its a breeze, maybe you'll be one of those. Point is, it's going to happen, why ruin today and now worrying about it??

BTW, I'm right behind you with the years. I worry more about old age, retirement, not being able to work - but I try not to worry. We have the strength to handle these things. You'll be fine. For now, live your life to the fullest and concentrate on being fit and healthy, becausethat will help you deal with aging!

Jennifer

Originally Posted by Naturally Leony ..I love your new avatar! Also been there! I'm 62. Just this last year did I put on weight. Was taking too much Aleve for arthritis and got 2 ulcers and didn't feel like exercising just eating.I'm one of the women Dr. Lee's book is all about. Hysterectomy at32, depression medication for nearly 40 years and breast cancer at 57. Mine had not matastisized! Found it with mammogram.

Just had reconstructive surgery this past summer to relieve the imbalance of wearing a prosthesis for 15 years! Also why I gained more weight while I didn't exercise.

Am on the road back with exercise.

Marge

I use the progesterone cream to help with arthritis, fibermyalgia (sp?), whatever. It works on the nerve endings to deaden the pain.

It also gives you kind of a natural "high" which gets you through all the "mothering" we do.
whistling.gif

After not having my period in over a year, well surprise surprise, I got my period back again today...Oh well. Seems strange wearing pads again.

I remember another friend told me that she also got her period back again after a year of not having one. She was on vacation in Mexico when it happened. She had to rush out and buy some supplies.

Naturally, I have a question. I am 44 and have just started having perimenapausal symptoms for the past 6 months. (Believe it or not I had my period for six weeks last month). I just went to the GYN in August, and everything checked out fine. Should I take chasteberry and the natural progestine cream even though I am a smoker? Thanks Leslie. P.S. sorry about the smoking thing
wacko.gif

My mom uses the Prolief Menopause Cream from Arbonne and sees wonderful results, it has helped with hot flashes and mood swings.

Kansas

Well after reading all about the M,I figured this is what I'm going through now.And hopefully I can deal with it without any medcation.I've heard so many horrible things about it,and it really scares me lol.My mother seem to had a smooth ride when she was going through it.Hopefully I will to
smile.gif

i think you should consult doctor or medical expert and try to solve this problem as soon as possible

Back