Mineral companies that make their colors

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a question about using mica as eyeshadow.

i just bought a WHOLE LOAD of mad minerals multi use colours in the 5$ size and i'm pretty disappointed with them. the colours are streaking as if they didn't grind their oxides enough and the colours are NOTHING like what they showed on the website, everything i got it BLUE instead of the purples and aquas and teals i ordered.

anyways SO i was wondering, i got some mica from coastal scents, it's not here yet though, but i was wondering if i can use that mica over my mac paintpot and if that is enough adhesion for it?

I also bough the coastal scents eyeshadow primer thingy, the base whatever it is.

if i put that down on my eyelid and then use mica, will it stick? or should i buy the TKB eyeshadow matte base and mix that in with my mica for adhesion?

tkb's matte base is only for their micas that actually say low shimmer. hence the name 'matte base' you have to use different ingredients with shimmers (i cant remember why, but its on the DIY mineral makeup stickey if you want to look) for micas with any sparkle you mix kaolin clay and boron nitride in equal amounts and then add that mixture to your micas in a 1:3 ratio (1 tsp per every tbsp etc)

I do not like buying repacked products either. There are too many times I have mistakenly purchased the exact same color from several different companies. It is frustrating. The brands I like that do not repack or private label but actually create each color are LaurEss and Alima. Both companies have high end quality, sure you pay more, but given the quality compared to even department store brands, I consider them a steal
smile.gif

Companies I have bought from that sold me identical eyeshadows (I mean IDENTICAL) are Pure Luxe, Aromaleigh's Pure Hues, and MAD. I won't buy from them again. I like to know the companies I by from have the knowledge and creativity to create something unique and beautiful. Sure there are some similaritites between some products, but if the texture is different, and the color is now identical Then I know they are not just repacked micas from Sweetscents or TKB.

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do not like buying repacked products either. There are too many times I have mistakenly purchased the exact same color from several different companies. It is frustrating. The brands I like that do not repack or private label but actually create each color are LaurEss and Alima. Both companies have high end quality, sure you pay more, but given the quality compared to even department store brands, I consider them a steal
smile.gif

Companies I have bought from that sold me identical eyeshadows (I mean IDENTICAL) are Pure Luxe, Aromaleigh's Pure Hues, and MAD. I won't buy from them again. I like to know the companies I by from have the knowledge and creativity to create something unique and beautiful. Sure there are some similaritites between some products, but if the texture is different, and the color is now identical Then I know they are not just repacked micas from Sweetscents or TKB.

Sorry to hear that.. and to think that Aromaleigh and PL made a lot of their colors but decided to sneak in some repacked ones... I know that TKB sells Pop! colelction featuring seven or 8 hue intese colors for one Tablespoon each and at a more affordable price.
I really like the she space, fyrinnae and EarthenGlowMinerals.. their creations are fabulous.
smile.gif

Can you enlighten me on some of the identical eyeshadows you bought? Do you mean in every way, they're the same, including texture? I could understand similar colors, but same texture? Na uh.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi there what is Pop? this is an eye shadow? like I buy in PL ? Pop! is a TKB trading mica set. You can buy them individually or buy them in a set. PL's Bubblegum collection is very similar to this, judging by pictures. I never bought any of these, so I don't know if there's any difference or whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Flowind /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sorry to hear that.. and to think that Aromaleigh and PL made a lot of their colors but decided to sneak in some repacked ones... I know that TKB sells Pop! colelction featuring seven or 8 hue intese colors for one Tablespoon each and at a more affordable price.
I really like the she space, fyrinnae and EarthenGlowMinerals.. their creations are fabulous.
smile.gif

Can you enlighten me on some of the identical eyeshadows you bought? Do you mean in every way, they're the same, including texture? I could understand similar colors, but same texture? Na uh.

I bought these several years ago (and haven't returned to these sellers) so I can't remember the exact names. One I do remember was an aqua blue with a gold intereference. I think it was called day dreamer or something on MAD and I believe it was Heaven on Aromaleigh. There are others, like the pop micas that Pure Luxe and MAD have just renamed. It seems very obvious to me. Look at TKB's Pop micas, then look at MAD's Big Apple, Trust Fund, Taxi, Big Money, Speed, Pizzazz, Rave. Now look at Pure Luxe's Sour Apple, Blueberry, Grape, Fruit Punch, Strawberry, Tangerine, and Lemon.

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif I bought these several years ago (and haven't returned to these sellers) so I can't remember the exact names. One I do remember was an aqua blue with a gold intereference. I think it was called day dreamer or something on MAD and I believe it was Heaven on Aromaleigh. There are others, like the pop micas that Pure Luxe and MAD have just renamed. It seems very obvious to me. Look at TKB's Pop micas, then look at MAD's Big Apple, Trust Fund, Taxi, Big Money, Speed, Pizzazz, Rave. Now look at Pure Luxe's Sour Apple, Blueberry, Grape, Fruit Punch, Strawberry, Tangerine, and Lemon. About aromaleigh Pure Hue, i'm sure that was only set that prob wasn't their original creation. But they have more options. I always can't point my fingers on them since I have not bought any from TKB or Pure luxe. I only bought a MAD big apple, which I now regret. I've learnt so much from then. I believe some of taylormades also bear resemblence to repacked ones. Just wondering if Pureluxe other pigments are also repacked.
glasses.gif

yeah i saw someone posting on etsy about some great mica's she got for her soaps. and this other lady asked her where she got them from and if they were the pop mica's from tkb because those were the colours she was getting also and this lady was like no, they're neon mica's from such and such other company and she posted the link and i went to check it out and it WAS the pop mica's and they even used the SAME PHOTOGRAPHS as tkb. i mean REALLY? can't you even take a photo?

it was that same photo that tkb has up of those bright flowers. and they had just renamed the colours and called them neon micas instead.

and charged more ofcourse.

do you think if i showed you some of the pure luxe colours on their site, you could tell me which mica it is from tkb? cause there's a couple i want but i refuse to pay that price for them because i already spent so much at mad minerals and nothing looked like what it did online and they all streaked FERRIC FERROCYANIDE everywhere!

Originally Posted by purplesunshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif yeah i saw someone posting on etsy about some great mica's she got for her soaps. and this other lady asked her where she got them from and if they were the pop mica's from tkb because those were the colours she was getting also and this lady was like no, they're neon mica's from such and such other company and she posted the link and i went to check it out and it WAS the pop mica's and they even used the SAME PHOTOGRAPHS as tkb. i mean REALLY? can't you even take a photo? it was that same photo that tkb has up of those bright flowers. and they had just renamed the colours and called them neon micas instead.

and charged more ofcourse.

do you think if i showed you some of the pure luxe colours on their site, you could tell me which mica it is from tkb? cause there's a couple i want but i refuse to pay that price for them because i already spent so much at mad minerals and nothing looked like what it did online and they all streaked FERRIC FERROCYANIDE everywhere!

So far, I can only tell from TKB trading pop! micas from PL bubble gum and MAd's ones. The trick is that their websites always have their own photos so it's hard to see whether they had bought repacks or not - until you buy it that is. MAD's photos do look a lot different than theri website's. About FD&C colors, I'm not against them. But coming from a repacked company it does.. haha

=)

do you think that they mix anything else in to increase adhesion or do they just use the mica's that they buy?

everytime i buy a mica, i add some boron or some tkb matte base or some serecite to increase adhesion and then i put it in a little jar for me use, but i'm wondering if the minerals i got from mad have that stuff mixed into them? i haven't used them yet. i tried some swatches today of them wet and the colours are WAY better wet, i don't know why i haven't tried my minerals wet yet! i have given a lot to my friends and i keep telling them to foil them but i hadn't tried it yet, and they look AMAZING. even my mica's straight up looked so good.

anyways sooo yeah do you think they make their own colours too or is it just the mica's cause pure luxe minerals has some nice colours and i was wondering if they were just micas because if they are, i want to figure out which ones they are! =)

purplesunshine: You know what? Now that you mentioned it, I really DON"T know if MAD actually mixed micas with matte base or not... I don't feel like emailing them too because sometimes people get defensive.. and I don't want any BS from them to ruin my day. But I bought some MAD's and their textures are nice, but you could never really tell from a beauty beginner like me...

About Pureluxe, I'm not sure since I haven't ordered from them. But, their CS sucks, I emailed them twice thru their online email form and haven't got a reply.. However, I saw somebody's post (don't remmeber where) that when PL eyeshadows are swatched DRY, the color payoff is bland.. I decided not to trust some YT swatches since they're made WET. I mean, anything shows up wet. Since you're in US, PL might answer your questions.. But TKB pop! micas are identical with PL Bubblegum collection, so I think, the bubblegum collection is prob micas... Other, I wish I could know if they jUST answer my call!
smile.gif

Well companies that you can't go wrong with are Earthen Glow Minerals, Fyrinnae, and Archetype. Archetypes off my list personally because of delivery issues but the other two have make the genuine articles. I've ordered literally hundreds from those two and haven't had a dupe yet or a rip off repackaged mica.

I've had problems and I mean serious problems getting a few e.s. from Taylor Made, Pure Luxe, Mad, and Arom to adhere to skin!!!! I can't tell you how T'd that makes me! At this point I pretty much only order from Earthen Glow and Fyrinnae.

TKB trading sells the ingredients to make mineral makeup....if they're selling finished colors purely for resale, I've missed that. They do sell all kinds of colors of oxides and micas, and some pre-mixed bases to blend the colors into, but there's nothing I've seen there that you can just slap your own label on and call sell as-is. I make MMU and TKB trading is a great source if you're making your own colors.

I know the site that talks about companies re-packaging minerals from other suppliers--they have a really broad range of colors, which is great, but I had a very, very negative experience with them when I purchased my "kit" from their sister site to supposedly start my own MMU business. It did not provide sufficient quantities of what was really needed and included a lot of useless stuff, and their customer service was awful. HOWEVER, the quality of their minerals is very, very good.

There are plenty of wholesalers out there selling pre-mixed colors. As a consumer, this can be frustrating because you try a different brand to, well, try a different brand. Nobody wants to buy the same thing over and over in an attempt to get the right thing. When in doubt, look to companies with the widest range of colors. The more colors they have, the more likely their formulas are to be their own.

Originally Posted by Ottillia /img/forum/go_quote.gif TKB trading sells the ingredients to make mineral makeup....if they're selling finished colors purely for resale, I've missed that. They do sell all kinds of colors of oxides and micas, and some pre-mixed bases to blend the colors into, but there's nothing I've seen there that you can just slap your own label on and call sell as-is. I make MMU and TKB trading is a great source if you're making your own colors.
I know the site that talks about companies re-packaging minerals from other suppliers--they have a really broad range of colors, which is great, but I had a very, very negative experience with them when I purchased my "kit" from their sister site to supposedly start my own MMU business. It did not provide sufficient quantities of what was really needed and included a lot of useless stuff, and their customer service was awful. HOWEVER, the quality of their minerals is very, very good.

There are plenty of wholesalers out there selling pre-mixed colors. As a consumer, this can be frustrating because you try a different brand to, well, try a different brand. Nobody wants to buy the same thing over and over in an attempt to get the right thing. When in doubt, look to companies with the widest range of colors. The more colors they have, the more likely their formulas are to be their own.

Hi there!you wrote :

what company did you mean? its very insresting..

It's Raesin images for the finished foundation, making-mineralmakeup for the "kits". They have a lot of advertising that I personally consider to be very dishonest, like a site claiming to be a mineral makeup "review" forum, but which is basically review praising themselves and putting down other companies....but again, the quality of the product is good and the range of colors is immense. Choosing the right color on the web is tricky, since they won't reply to emails asking which of their colors compares to a color from another brand--I bought five quite expensive and very small samples and never found a good match.

Wow, Ottillia; your observation left me speechless! I do agree that I really don't want to buy something from one and then a same one from another company. geesh, I don't have that much money to spare. LOL

Me NEITHER. I have a tricky skin tone and have often become distraught over having the SAME color issues with line after line--it just never occurred to me why that might be before.

Fortunately, there are a lot more mineral makeup companies offering really wide color ranges, and of course loose mineral makeup is easy to mix to a custom shade if you need to compbine colors.....but buy a color wheel before you mix! Buying one color that's too pink and another that's too yellow hoping to mix something neutral will only wind you up with ORANGE. I know we all learned our primary colors in kindergarten, but having the wheel really helps....I recently died my hair brilliant red and then hated it and kept trying to cover it with brown--that does NOT work. After consulting the color wheel, I realized what I really needed was a sheer GREEN glaze to get back to brown. I took a deep breath and did it, and it's gorgeous, but it was scary! Fortunately, custom mixing makeup requires a lot less commitment.

I just tried (and ordered from) Ocean Mist and (my fave) Earthen Glow and was struck by how different they were from all the other dozens of foundations I had tried. I had figured at the beginning of my MMU search that a mineral would be a mineral. Not so. Thanks for the info.

Yeah LilMama. After years of shelling out $$$ just happy to have alternatives to BE I found what to me is nothing like the others I've used so far - EGM. The Cover Me foundation, eye shadows, blushes are levels above everything else I've used.. Somewhere I read where they were compared to MAC and I'd agree that their eye shadows, glows and blushes do! The lip glosses (the squeeze out ones and new wands do too).

Back