My glam is just bad and a waste of money

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I ordered the bag for a couple months and it was such a waste of $10. All the products are ones you can get for free at nordstroms/department stores in their cosmetics section/counters. Birchbox wasn't much better.... Do yourself a favor and pass! P.S. in the glambag there was not many actual makeup products; mostly creams, face masks, moisturizers, etc.. all that can be used once. Just Bad!

 
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
134
I like MyGlam. I'm looking forward to getting a new lipstick in this month's bag. The UD eyeliner was awesome last month and I'm really enjoying the brushes they sent. I'm madly in love with the Lip Quench from last month's bag too. All in all I'm very pleased with MG and have gotten my $10 out of every bag.

Sorry you feel like you wasted your money. Probably best to cancel and move on.

 
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
20,866
Reaction score
1,618
Location
USA
I have to point out that while you may have a mall, Sephora or Macy's in your area not everyone does. Where I grew up the nearest mall was 70-ish miles away and we didn't have a store where we could get samples of anything. Right now in my hometown the biggest store they have is Walmart! The old JCPenney shut down over a decade ago, there is no Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora or ULTA there. So for women in my hometown beauty box subscriptions, be it MyGlam, Birchbox, Sample Society, Julep, is the ONLY way to get ANY type of sample be it skin care, hair care, nail care or makeup.

I have to agree with Princess though, if you're dissatisfied with MyGlam best to cancel your subscription and move on. I did with The Look Bag and Beauty Box 5. MyGlam is not for everyone just like Birchbox and Sample Society are not for everyone. Unfortunately people expect more - I see complaint after complaint that people actually expect more full size makeup samples when no company, not even Birchbox, sends out strictly makeup samples. While I liked my December bag (okay, loved it) the January and February bags were horrible while the March bag was okay and the April bag much better. I'm on the fence about the May bag though.

Personally I did NOT like the products from The Look Bag ($10) and Beauty Box 5 ($12) and while the products were okay they weren't for me. Like I mentioned above, I cancelled my subscriptions with them because the products just were not for me. I rather not spend my money on products that others might like but that left me dissatisfied. You could always try Birchbox ($10) or Sample Society ($15) or even Beautyfix ($49.95, quarterly) or Test Tube (approximately $40, quarterly)

 

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
12,159
Reaction score
112
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to point out that while you may have a mall, Sephora or Macy's in your area not everyone does. Where I grew up the nearest mall was 70-ish miles away and we didn't have a store where we could get samples of anything. Right now in my hometown the biggest store they have is Walmart! The old JCPenney shut down over a decade ago, there is no Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora or ULTA there. So for women in my hometown beauty box subscriptions, be it MyGlam, Birchbox, Sample Society, Julep, is the ONLY way to get ANY type of sample be it skin care, hair care, nail care or makeup.
I see your point, but I still disagree. I live where the biggest store is Walmart. That doesn't mean I don't ever drive out to the cities with a Sephora, Nordstroms, whatever on occasion. And in this day and age, it is easy enough to order online with free shipping and get great samples. Maybe 10 years ago I would have agreed with you, but now it is so easy to get samples whenever you order that I think if I am paying for a sample selection it better be good. Hell, with one company I got a Caudilie eye serum with my order. It was half the full sized, which costs $70. Estee Lauder gives out great samples. MyGlam's samples are poor, no matter how you want to look at it.

 
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
134
I live 30 minutes from a department store and 80 minutes from a Sephora. It would cost me more in gas than the cost of a sample service to drive and get these "free" samples. Most stores online you have to order to get free samples so that's no cost efficient either.
 

 

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
12,159
Reaction score
112
I don't go just to get free samples, which accounts for my differing perspective. I get them with stuff I would buy anyway. And I don't think living in the boonies means we should be happy to be getting the samples we do when we are paying for hyped up samples.

 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
This thread is making me thankful for where I live. I have a love/hate relationship with my proximity to these stores, but it's so true...I don't NEED my subs at all, I can go to Ulta in 5 minutes, lord and taylor or bloomingdales in 10, and be at sephora, nordstrom, macy's, neiman marcus, and pretty much any other store in 15. We have an entire Kiehl's store and they are so liberal with their samples.

 
Heck, I can be at flagship locations of soooo many stores in less than half an hour. I'm NEVER moving. 

Maybe I should start sending out samples to those in rural areas for the price of shipping lol. A good deed! 

 
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
35
Where do all you girls go to get all these "free" samples? NONE of my local makeup counters (Macy's Dilliards, Saks, Ulta) will give you anything unless it's a special promotion and you come in and mention it. Even then it's like pulling teeth. Sephora is the only store that will give me a day or 2 sample of select foundations, but It's well over an hour drive to get there so it's costing me more in gas than it's worth. 

 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where do all you girls go to get all these "free" samples? NONE of my local makeup counters (Macy's Dilliards, Saks, Ulta) will give you anything unless it's a special promotion and you come in and mention it. Even then it's like pulling teeth. Sephora is the only store that will give me a day or 2 sample of select foundations, but It's well over an hour drive to get there so it's costing me more in gas than it's worth. 
I got most of my macy's samples when I worked there, but they do have them and they will give them to you! My ulta might be generous to me because they know me thanks to being in there all the time, but they've given me lots of samples without even making a purchase. Also I am guilty of squirting testers into little tubs to take home and try out...though I'm probably not supposed to do that.

I've never left sephora without at least one multi use sample.

 
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
1,405
Reaction score
13
You crack me up Jenna! I'm not able to get out much so I my hubby goes to sephora for returns for me. I text him a list of samples I want, he shows it to someone who works there & I get my samples. They usually feel bad for him & give extras. I always tell him to flirt with them to get more samples. He just laughs at me.

The ulta by me does not give out samples. They are pretty stingy over there. Origins is generous w/ samples. My hubby tells them I want to compare their products to other brands & they give him whatever he asks for.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got most of my macy's samples when I worked there, but they do have them and they will give them to you! My ulta might be generous to me because they know me thanks to being in there all the time, but they've given me lots of samples without even making a purchase. Also I am guilty of squirting testers into little tubs to take home and try out...though I'm probably not supposed to do that.

I've never left sephora without at least one multi use sample.
 
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
35
Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got most of my macy's samples when I worked there, but they do have them and they will give them to you! My ulta might be generous to me because they know me thanks to being in there all the time, but they've given me lots of samples without even making a purchase. Also I am guilty of squirting testers into little tubs to take home and try out...though I'm probably not supposed to do that.

I've never left sephora without at least one multi use sample.
As much as I shop for makeup I have never once been given a sample by Estee Lauder, Mac, Clinique, Chanel or any other counter when I asked without being told I would have to make a purchase first. I got clinique to give me a sample of some sunscreen once during a facebook promotion, but they literally made me pull out my phone to show them the post, made me fill out paperwork, and gave me an attitude because I wasn't making a purchase with it. My Ulta flat out said they do not give out samples of ANY products and that's why they have testers and events for people to try them out in store. 

The people that work at my Sephora are super nice, but I have only ever left once with an actual sample of some MUFE foundation and primer. Usually when I ask they politely say they could just try it on me while I'm there. 

Believe me when I say I'm not shy about asking either we just have some really snooty salespeople In my area. I think in part I get treated poorly because of my appearance (besides at sephora). Ulta once sent me a $75 gift card because I was harassed by a hair stylist there who walked up to me, started touching my hair without asking and said It looked "trashy" lol

 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif


As much as I shop for makeup I have never once been given a sample by Estee Lauder, Mac, Clinique, Chanel or any other counter when I asked without being told I would have to make a purchase first. I got clinique to give me a sample of some sunscreen once during a facebook promotion, but they literally made me pull out my phone to show them the post, made me fill out paperwork, and gave me an attitude because I wasn't making a purchase with it. My Ulta flat out said they do not give out samples of ANY products and that's why they have testers and events for people to try them out in store. 

The people that work at my Sephora are super nice, but I have only ever left once with an actual sample of some MUFE foundation and primer. Usually when I ask they politely say they could just try it on me while I'm there. 

Believe me when I say I'm not shy about asking either we just have some really snooty salespeople In my area. I think in part I get treated poorly because of my appearance (besides at sephora). Ulta once sent me a $75 gift card because I was harassed by a hair stylist there who walked up to me, started touching my hair without asking and said It looked "trashy" lol
lol omg :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That is awful! I think a big part of the reason they are so nice to me at Ulta is because I go there pretty much every other day...or at least used to, I'm definitely trying to cut back.I've never had much luck with MAC, they've given me samples of foundation or whatever, but they put them together on the spot. Benefit counters have always been really awesome to me. I've never tried to get samples from Chanel, but the Dior counter at my nordstrom is super nice and generous. Probably also because they know me, though. If I come in and ask for samples, I guess they know I'll be back in a week to make a purchase. Helps to have a credit card with these places for some reason, too. I swear my nordstrom card is like a VIP card, lol. 

I also wonder if looking like you have money at the make up counters makes a big difference, which the credit card thing kind of influences. I usually go shoppin after work, so generally I'm wearing business clothes. Not that I have a lot of money or anything, lol, I just have to dress nice for my entry level job that barely pays my student loans.

 
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
35
Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif


lol omg :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That is awful! I think a big part of the reason they are so nice to me at Ulta is because I go there pretty much every other day...or at least used to, I'm definitely trying to cut back.I've never had much luck with MAC, they've given me samples of foundation or whatever, but they put them together on the spot. Benefit counters have always been really awesome to me. I've never tried to get samples from Chanel, but the Dior counter at my nordstrom is super nice and generous. Probably also because they know me, though. If I come in and ask for samples, I guess they know I'll be back in a week to make a purchase. Helps to have a credit card with these places for some reason, too. I swear my nordstrom card is like a VIP card, lol. 

I also wonder if looking like you have money at the make up counters makes a big difference, which the credit card thing kind of influences. I usually go shoppin after work, so generally I'm wearing business clothes. Not that I have a lot of money or anything, lol, I just have to dress nice for my entry level job that barely pays my student loans.
Hahaha I've heard Nordstom stores are really great about giving samples, but I don't have one near me. I mean don't get me wrong I dress nicely, but I do have hot pink hair which I'm sure affects peoples perception of me especially If they are a little closed minded. A majority of the women working in my Macy's, Dilliards, and Saks store are in their 40's and up and sort of treat me like I'm not good enough to shop at prestige counters. Lots of times I have to circle for a good 10 minutes or go up and ask for help or I just get ignored.

Luckily Sephora sells almost every brand that those stores do and they are fantastic....many of their employees have wilder hair than mine, tattoos, piercings, etc so I feel no judgement there. 

My Ulta just seems to be filled with 18 yr olds with sour attitudes and the hair stylists love coming up to you when your down the cheap-o hair dye aisle (where I buy my pink dye) to tell you how those products can NEVER make your hair look as good as they could (and try to sell you services). When I say I dye my own hair with *GASP* semi perm pink dye (and it looks half decent) they give me a face like 
 then 
 and walk away lol

It's ok though, I just take my money where I'm treated nicely. When I got my first job at 14 (under the table) I went to Macy's and planned to go wild at Mac...they treated me SO badly that I purposefully went to the Prescriptives counter directly next to them (which had a very nice sales lady) bought $800 in products, made SURE they saw it, and walked back over to tell them to adjust their attitudes and not judge people. I've never understood why people are so judgmental...you never know who has money or not. 

 
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
1,405
Reaction score
13
 
 Thats some bs. I'm sorry. No one should be treated that way, pink hair or not. Your beautiful Amber, screw anyone who thinks otherwise.

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif


Hahaha I've heard Nordstom stores are really great about giving samples, but I don't have one near me. I mean don't get me wrong I dress nicely, but I do have hot pink hair which I'm sure affects peoples perception of me especially If they are a little closed minded. A majority of the women working in my Macy's, Dilliards, and Saks store are in their 40's and up and sort of treat me like I'm not good enough to shop at prestige counters. Lots of times I have to circle for a good 10 minutes or go up and ask for help or I just get ignored.

Luckily Sephora sells almost every brand that those stores do and they are fantastic....many of their employees have wilder hair than mine, tattoos, piercings, etc so I feel no judgement there. 

My Ulta just seems to be filled with 18 yr olds with sour attitudes and the hair stylists love coming up to you when your down the cheap-o hair dye aisle (where I buy my pink dye) to tell you how those products can NEVER make your hair look as good as they could (and try to sell you services). When I say I dye my own hair with *GASP* semi perm pink dye (and it looks half decent) they give me a face like 
 then 
 and walk away lol

It's ok though, I just take my money where I'm treated nicely. When I got my first job at 14 (under the table) I went to Macy's and planned to go wild at Mac...they treated me SO badly that I purposefully went to the Prescriptives counter directly next to them (which had a very nice sales lady) bought $800 in products, made SURE they saw it, and walked back over to tell them to adjust their attitudes and not judge people. I've never understood why people are so judgmental...you never know who has money or not. 
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif


Hahaha I've heard Nordstom stores are really great about giving samples, but I don't have one near me. I mean don't get me wrong I dress nicely, but I do have hot pink hair which I'm sure affects peoples perception of me especially If they are a little closed minded. A majority of the women working in my Macy's, Dilliards, and Saks store are in their 40's and up and sort of treat me like I'm not good enough to shop at prestige counters. Lots of times I have to circle for a good 10 minutes or go up and ask for help or I just get ignored.

Luckily Sephora sells almost every brand that those stores do and they are fantastic....many of their employees have wilder hair than mine, tattoos, piercings, etc so I feel no judgement there. 

My Ulta just seems to be filled with 18 yr olds with sour attitudes and the hair stylists love coming up to you when your down the cheap-o hair dye aisle (where I buy my pink dye) to tell you how those products can NEVER make your hair look as good as they could (and try to sell you services). When I say I dye my own hair with *GASP* semi perm pink dye (and it looks half decent) they give me a face like 
 then 
 and walk away lol

It's ok though, I just take my money where I'm treated nicely. When I got my first job at 14 (under the table) I went to Macy's and planned to go wild at Mac...they treated me SO badly that I purposefully went to the Prescriptives counter directly next to them (which had a very nice sales lady) bought $800 in products, made SURE they saw it, and walked back over to tell them to adjust their attitudes and not judge people. I've never understood why people are so judgmental...you never know who has money or not. 
for sure! When I worked at Macy's it was all about our sales goals blah blah blah, and I got a weird sense of joy out of showing the older snobby ladies that you could make just as good of sales if not better with people buying a lot of the cheaper brands versus someone buying one eileen fisher sweater. And then I would also get really annoyed because...who are they? They work at macys! Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I spent all of college trying to live off of a retail salary, and let me tell you, even when I was able to get 40 hours, I surely wasn't making enough money to pay my rent and buy expensive stuff. Rude people suck. 

 
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
35
Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif


for sure! When I worked at Macy's it was all about our sales goals blah blah blah, and I got a weird sense of joy out of showing the older snobby ladies that you could make just as good of sales if not better with people buying a lot of the cheaper brands versus someone buying one eileen fisher sweater. And then I would also get really annoyed because...who are they? They work at macys! Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I spent all of college trying to live off of a retail salary, and let me tell you, even when I was able to get 40 hours, I surely wasn't making enough money to pay my rent and buy expensive stuff. Rude people suck. 
Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

 
 Thats some bs. I'm sorry. No one should be treated that way, pink hair or not. Your beautiful Amber, screw anyone who thinks otherwise.
Thank you both. I don't take it personally, I just wish people were a little kinder and more open minded in general is all 


 
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
2,105
Reaction score
62
Amber, I know exactly how you feel. Although I don't still have crayon hair, I frequently get ill-treated in shops because of how I dress (Hey, what's WRONG with a 40-year-old woman wearing brass knuckles around her neck and a Nashville "P" t-shirt--not gonna put the full name of the band lol) Nordstrom, they're always great to me, Dillards is hit or miss and Macy's, they're absolute jerks. Sephora, I tend to get ignored, which I'm generally ok with. Ulta is hit or miss, too.

I seriously hate the judgemental attitude of some sales staff.

 
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
35
Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amber, I know exactly how you feel. Although I don't still have crayon hair, I frequently get ill-treated in shops because of how I dress (Hey, what's WRONG with a 40-year-old woman wearing brass knuckles around her neck and a Nashville "P" t-shirt--not gonna put the full name of the band lol) Nordstrom, they're always great to me, Dillards is hit or miss and Macy's, they're absolute jerks. Sephora, I tend to get ignored, which I'm generally ok with. Ulta is hit or miss, too.

I seriously hate the judgemental attitude of some sales staff.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even If people have misconceptions about your appearance you would think If your a grown woman, speak articulately, and ask valid questions about products you would be treated with respect. Rich old women aren't the only ones shelling out money on makeup. Beauty products are something that 9/10 women use so to treat someone like crap based on appearance is a very poor sales strategy. 

 
Joined
Mar 12, 2012
Messages
703
Reaction score
12
Location
NYC
How do y'all get your samples from Sephora? Do you have to ask for them? I go sometimes and never know!

I think that when it comes to sample services, it's all about expectations. If you go into expecting full-sized items or makeup all the time, you're going to be unhappy. If that's what you want, they just may not be for you. (Glossybox seems promising, however, though it's only the first month. It's too expensive for me at 21 dollars a month, but it's probably worth checking out.) At the end of the day it is a sample service, so your paying for things you could, potentially, get for free. It's just up to each individual if that's something you're interested in. For me, I don't go to a lot of beauty shops, and I'm not very familiar with many brands. I enjoy Birchbox, at least, because it helps me figure out things I might enjoy and would want to purchase one day. 

 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
Originally Posted by thewendyyybird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do y'all get your samples from Sephora? Do you have to ask for them? I go sometimes and never know!

I think that when it comes to sample services, it's all about expectations. If you go into expecting full-sized items or makeup all the time, you're going to be unhappy. If that's what you want, they just may not be for you. (Glossybox seems promising, however, though it's only the first month. It's too expensive for me at 21 dollars a month, but it's probably worth checking out.) At the end of the day it is a sample service, so your paying for things you could, potentially, get for free. It's just up to each individual if that's something you're interested in. For me, I don't go to a lot of beauty shops, and I'm not very familiar with many brands. I enjoy Birchbox, at least, because it helps me figure out things I might enjoy and would want to purchase one day. 
I generally only ask for a sample of something if I really do intend to buy it or something similar, but yup...just ask.  Or stare intently at something until they walk over and ask you if you want a smaple. They always put a huge handful of packets in my bags though. 

 

Latest posts

Top