MyGlam is now Ipsy..

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far back this name change has been in the works I still don't know but doing a WhoIs on the site yields that the name has been around since 2005 but was only recently updated (September 14, 2012). Doing a search on www.ipsy.com shows it goes back to 2001 but was parked for a very long time but nothing shows up for 2012. I know there's more to the story on the name change but I guess it's one we'll never know for sure, though thinking back on my last phone conversation with them I think it's been in place for at least a couple of months now.

The name change was a complete surprise for me. I wish they would have brought it up back in March so those of us there could have given them feedback on it. I think rebranding it as Ipsy has a 50% of succeeding but also a 50% of failing. Had it been mentioned I would have given my input that I think it's a bad idea to change the name because MyGlam is established and even though it had a bad reputation in the beginning for the problems they had they've worked very hard to overcome those problems. To me the name change, and without warning, is just going to make people speculate about the real reason.

I know they plan on launching their online shop soon along with launching other brands similar to Circus by Andrea's Choice (the latter was not actually confirmed but hinted at when I directly asked about it), those plans I'm well aware of. With the new online shop that's coming soon they should have kept MyGlam as MyGlam and did something similar to Beautylish. You didn't see Nils relaunch Beautylish under a different name when the shops were launched so I just don't get the need to change MyGlam to Ipsy. Personally I think that MyGlam should have remained MyGlam and kept the subscription service branded under than but launch the new website under Ipsy with MyGlam being part of it that way they still could focus on MyGlam being a separate entity from the community.

I personally don't mind the name change to rebrand but IPSY was a pretty bad choice. Besides how funny it is, isn't it too close to sounding like etsy?

I'm not a MyGlam/Ipsy subscriber, but I have to add that there is a city back home in Michigan called Ypsilanti (ip-sill-AN-tee) that is called "Ypsi" (ip-see) for short - that's pretty much all I think of when I see this Ipsy business. Doesn't sound very glam to me lol.

Well, the name change explains why they're late in shipping this month. I think they probably had the bags ready to go, but they wanted to time the website launche right around the time when people received their bags and before they started making videos and writing up their blog articles about the bags.  As a result, everyone would be vlogging about the new name change and they'd be all on board for potentially using their ipsy website. 

If MG or IPSY shipped the bags at the usual time, most people would have had videos made by now about their bags and they'd have missed their chance to get people on board with using their site. 

Kind of... the new website layout has been out for three weeks now so they could have launched the new site sooner. I guess we'll never know the whole story and we can only speculate at why the name change, the delay in bags and all that. I wish they kept Ipsy (community) apart from MyGlam (the bags) much like Circus is a different brand part of the same company.

Originally Posted by lunadust /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally don't mind the name change to rebrand but IPSY was a pretty bad choice. Besides how funny it is, isn't it too close to sounding like etsy?
You know... it does.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kind of... the new website layout has been out for three weeks now so they could have launched the new site sooner. I guess we'll never know the whole story and we can only speculate at why the name change, the delay in bags and all that. I wish they kept Ipsy (community) apart from MyGlam (the bags) much like Circus is a different brand part of the same company.

You know... it does.

I get the feeling they originally wanted to launch the website last week, but realized they needed some last minute touch-ups and so delayed the bags by a week. Even though the website was up for several weeks in its new format, they probably were testing it for glitches.

By the way, I also think it sounds like Esty.  Does anyone know what Esty means, anyway?  Individual artistry or uniquess or something? 

Originally Posted by ValentineLissar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I get the feeling they originally wanted to launch the website last week, but realized they needed some last minute touch-ups and so delayed the bags by a week. Even though the website was up for several weeks in its new format, they probably were testing it for glitches.

By the way, I also think it sounds like Esty.  Does anyone know what Esty means, anyway?  Individual artistry or uniquess or something? 
Yup. The site was in a beta test mode but there were very few glitches with those of us using the site, I only encountered one error that I couldn't duplicate. I think the real test is now that it's launched because there are thousands and thousands of users on it now so it'll be interesting to see how their database handles the stress due to all the connections.

As for Etsy... this is CNN.

2. Etsy

Founded in 2005, the online marketplace Etsy has amassed over seven million registered users and saw revenues of just over $300 million in 2010. And while the name is catchy, many have often asked what it means.

For a while, the company was pretty tight-lipped about the origin, leaving users to come up with their own acronyms or explanations.

However, in a January 2010 interview for Reader's Digest, founder Rob Kalin finally revealed the secret: "I wanted a nonsense word because I wanted to build the brand from scratch. I was watching Fellini's 8 ½and writing down what I was hearing. In Italian, you say 'etsi' a lot. It means 'oh, yes.' And in Latin, it means 'and if.'"

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a MyGlam/Ipsy subscriber, but I have to add that there is a city back home in Michigan called Ypsilanti (ip-sill-AN-tee) that is called "Ypsi" (ip-see) for short - that's pretty much all I think of when I see this Ipsy business. Doesn't sound very glam to me lol.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that lol I'm originally from Mich and when I told my sister about this earlier that's the first thing she said back to me!

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that lol I'm originally from Mich and when I told my sister about this earlier that's the first thing she said back to me!
Haha it was definitely my first thought as well! And yay for meeting a fellow Michigander! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just finished grad school at UofM in Ann Arbor and I totally thought Ypsi too! I asked my Boyfriend (who grew up in Michigan and went to State) what he thought and he totally agreed! Ipsy, Ypsi...ha!

haha, I'm originally from MI too, and I think maybe that is my aversion to the name. Ypsilanti IS NOT A PRETTY PLACE, lol.

Ok, with all this talk of Ypsilanti now I'm curious. So where in MI is it located at?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, with all this talk of Ypsilanti now I'm curious. So where in MI is it located at?
Its about 15-20 minutes from ann arbor, probably 45 minutes west of Detroit. Eastern Michigan University is located there. Its the pits, really, lol. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its about 15-20 minutes from ann arbor, probably 45 minutes west of Detroit. Eastern Michigan University is located there. Its the pits, really, lol. 
 LOL for sure and that's putting it nicely! 

My guess is that they're moving towards making a forum... I like my sub sites nice and simple... Not feeling new layout

I looovee seeing all you fellow Michiganders! I'm from SW Michigan - Kalamazoo! Have you seen the YouTube video called "The Pure Michigan Statewide Singalong" (which is to the tune of Owl City's "Good Time" lol!). Just recently posted and it's AWESOME! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'd share the link here but I'm not sure about the protocol, though I highly recommend it.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been gone for almost 30 years, but I am pretty sure that Ypsilanti, MI is home to the University of Michigan and that Eastern Michigan University is in I believe Mt. Pleasant.  Now being from Lansing and having gone to Michigan State I could be wrong and they might have moved things around, but the last time I was up there that was the case.

Haha when I think like this it's just a play on letters but it's ipsy...my name is espy... lol

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looovee seeing all you fellow Michiganders! I'm from SW Michigan - Kalamazoo! Have you seen the YouTube video called "The Pure Michigan Statewide Singalong" (which is to the tune of Owl City's "Good Time" lol!). Just recently posted and it's AWESOME! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'd share the link here but I'm not sure about the protocol, though I highly recommend it.
Just went and watched that video and your right it's totally awesome!!! 

Back