Name makeup purchases you regret and why.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed to powder my nose and had no compact with me so I tried a friends (MAC Studio Fix NC35) and loved it, though it was a bit too light, so I ordered several different types and colors- MISTAKE- All I ended up with was orange skin :icon_eek: . They are now listed on the swap page :icon_roll .

Lola creme foundation- it made my skin look freakin' GREY! I have no idea how that happened

Some of my more neutral eyeshadows- they are all dark greys that I wore when I was a brunette but now they look funny with blue hair

did you just take a wild guess at what color you might be? Have you ever gone to a counter or store and had them match you up?

Lately my regrets are simply based on regretting spending too much money. :icon_redf Here are some products that didn't go as planned:

• BE Minerals shadow in Flirtatious - it's a really rich pink and looks fabulous on my HAND, but rabbity on the eyes. I've converted it to a blush and it works well, but not like I needed another pink blush.
  • BE Minerals foundation and Jane Iredale Mineral foundation - too drying and fake-looking for my skin.
  • T.LeClerc powders - were too mattifying and drying for my skin.
  • Blushes in the true warm shades like peach and tan - too difficult to make them work.
  • MAC products. Their products are okay, but the image and hype turns me off.
  • NARS blushes and shadows because generally the quality is so poor. Not enough pigment lift.
  • Shu Uemura blushes - maybe the two I bought were duds, but I didn't get enough pigment lift. I mean, when I swipe my finger across the entire Shu blush pan with moderate pressure, there is only enough pigment on my finger to barely cover the tip. Other brands will have lots of pigment and some excess falling off. I hate having to 'scrub' my blush to get color to lift!

maybe sometimes its the brush youre using? :icon_roll i noticed that with one of my brushes i'd have to "scrub" the blush to get some color but with my other brushes they pick up the color easily...i dunno maybe that's one of the reasons :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but i do agree bout NARS blushes..i love the colors but they really don't last that long on me!

my regrets:

Bobbi brown e/s....horrible!

I am pretty forgiving with my mu, and try to make it work, but there are few things that went straight to the trash

Maybelline Great Lash - horrible clumpy mess! how mua's can always reccommend this is beyond me.

Clinique Touch Base (in compact) - dried out and fell out of the compact waayy before I could finish it.

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse - I loved this, but I broke out :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Naturistics liner - bought this when I was looking for a white/beige liner for my bottom inner rims, and it was horrible, and had to press way too hard to get any pigment

Maybelline eyeshadows, chalky and flaky, and no pigment whatsoever

all I can think of for now...

Unfortunately, the only brush type I own that picks up decent pigment off my Shu blushes is my NARS bronzer brush, which has stiff-bristles. I don't prefer it as a blush brush because it's too large and doesn't place color well. My favorite blush brushes (Trish McEvoy and Bobbi Brown) are too soft for Shu, but of course work brilliantly on MAC, Laura Mercier, BE...etc. Given this, I'll just stick to other brands! :icon_chee

i tried the mary kate and ashley olson cream eye shadow just to see how it was. didn't like at all. lets just say it was cheap and you could tell.

Back