No-Buy Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Try to remember that guys don't even like makeup. Awe thats cute
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif When you're looking at an item you really want, think if you have anything similar already. Chances are you already do. Perfect Tip!

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just deleted myself from all these mailing lists. I realized they werent helping my no-buy. Oh for sure! The gift with purchases, 20% off, free shipping emails? Totally get it! I guess thats the next step in my no buy! UNSUBSCRIBE!

Originally Posted by LUVINBEAUTY /img/forum/go_quote.gif Awe thats cute
smile.gif
Eh.I just dont think they like the colorful eyeshadows, the eyeliners, the deep lipstick colors, stuff like that for everyday cosmetics.

Bronzer, blush, foundation, I think they should appreciate more than anything.

This would be more for teenagers though, when they're more of adults 25+ I think they're just used to anything by then.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes I will just go through and organize my makeup again and realize that I have every freaking color on the planet. I will decide what I will use for the month (like purple month) and put it in a cute makeup bag and when I feel the urge to buy again, I will just create another "collection" of my own using stuff I haven't used in a while. I totally agree with this one! When you reorganize thing, you end up shopping in your own stuff.
The other day, I took all the MMU samples and full sizes I owned that I didn't like too much. I sat down with some empty containers and mixed them around to tweak the colors or make new ones. Like adding a way to pale pink to a way to shimmery red, with some matt brown, bam! I got nice shimmery old rose.

I also mixed about 15 MMU samples together and created a purple/charcoal/brow/with blue highlights.. Its sounds insane, it is, my brother gave a compliment to my eye liner today!

Oh! and I forgot, when you really want a color. Most likely, you got a few colors that you can mix together to create the one you want to buy.

Take a small quantity of e/s that looks similar and mix them in a pot.

Example: I wanted a purple with gold shimmer.

Well I had both the purple and the gold shimmer, so I mixed a small quantity together and got the exact shadow I wanted. And the buying craving went away.

Here are some good ones

Really dig deep in your stuff, the other day I looked in my body lotion/perfume drawer and I found nail polishes and Mary Kay Samples.

Look at your mom's junk drawers/cabinets. I swear my mom doesn't even get done up that much but she has tons of stuff that she doesn't use. I know I've grabbed hairsray, shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. The other day I went to my guys parent's house, and his mom told me to look in her bathroom cabinet and grab whatever, because she never uses it. I grabbed some mousse and sunscreen spray.So I know my mom's not the only one.

When it is that you HAVE to buy something like, like when you run out of a product you can't replace, look at BOBO sales, so you can get an extra product!

Everyone has made great suggestions, and I am actually starting a no buy Sunday. One thing that helps me is to organize and do an "inventory list". As I use things I take them off the list.

I am really ashamed to say how many of the same items I have. I have so many body lotions, bars of soap, deodorant, etc. I just grab one each time I go or if it is on sale... EVEN if I just bought one!!

I am a true shopaholic... good luck everyone!

One more thing, get samples... in stores, out of magazines it is a good way to try new items without purchasing them.

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not sure if this is a good tip or not, but how about swapping for items other than spending the money on it. If you are on a no-buy then why not trade the products you'll never use for ones that you are lemming for? It wouldn't count as actually buying a new product.... Good one!!!

You can also see what you can convert or alter. I have a Burts Bee's lip shimmer which really is just lipbalm and shimmer. If you got lip balm, and some sheer and shimmery shadow, scrape out the lipbalm into a small microwave safe container, mix with shimmer,pour back in. Voila! lip shimmer! or Lise Watier Metamorfix turns any eyeshadow to eyeliners. If an eyeshadow you have is a little too dark for everyday wear, why not use it as eyeliner? You can also melt and mix lipsticks into pots or lipbalm containers and turn your lesser liked lippies into new colours.

Love the shop in your own stuff idea! Also the swap or go to people's stash that don't use theirs as much and have stuff they'd toss...

My suggestion is really just organize. Separate the different categories, and make them look worth sifting through. Sometimes getting rid of stuff is as big of a high as getting tonz of new stuff, because it refreshes the good stuff, and makes you really think to purpose the things you do keep.

i agree with not taking money out that could be spent.

also agree with thinking about what make up i already had. i was doing a make up look using green eyeshadow and found like 8 green shadows lol yet i KNOW if i was out and saw a nice green i'd justify buying cause i didnt have that "shade" lol!

I am so crazy about makeup too and I have about 50 assorted makeup products I haven't used yet. I have spent so much on them that I think is just crazy. So now whenever I need to go shopping or buy some groceries, I just bring enough money so I don't spend on makeup that I don't need. The problem with loving makeup so much is that you can never have enough. You just want more and more each time. I guess the best thing to do is to control yourself to stop buying whether or not your card or cash is with you. 

I'm finding it hard not to buy makeup but I'm really really going to try!

In the last few days I have ordered 2 large makeup palettes. My thinking is that I can depot & display ALL of my pressed eyeshadow (hope they fit). This way I can see ALL the colours I have, rather than have some in this drawer, or some in that drawer.

Like a lot of other people I'm sure I have very similar colours & yet gravitate to similar colours when shopping. I hope this helps me see that I don't need more, use what I have & replace only what I use up. Does this make sense?

i'm so glad that there is a support forum for us on the no-buy list. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i'm trying to do a project 10 pan, due to the fact that I haven't even opened more than 10% of the makeup I own. I have about 10 boxes piled up full of makeup b/c I have no where to put it. I already have 2 big drawer systems full and 3 smaller ones full.  I'm taking over certain areas of the house with all my makeup. It's gotten really bad! Talk about an addiction! The more I'm told no, the more I want to buy! AAHHHH!!! I'm through 4 of 10 items.  It will be a while before I get to order more makeup and I don't like that idea when Spring is almost here and I want the new things that are hitting and are going to hit the market soon.  I'm going to ask for a lift on the ban for Mother's Day for my gift! LOL Hopefully hubby will go for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Wish me luck on the no buy and on the potential lift on the ban! teeheehee.....

When I'm reallllly lemming for something and I don't have or shouldn't be spending the extra cash, I swatch all my products in that category.  It can be time-consuming, but it shows me again how much I am in love with what I have already.  And it motivates me to use what I own up before buying anything else.  And if I don't end up buying the thing I wanted after a couple of weeks, I obviously didn't want it that much.

One trick that really worked for me was that I un-bookmarked all of the drugstore makeup blogs that I used to regularly stalk. I don't have a problem following blogs that focus mostly on high-end makeup, but with drugstore brands it's just too easy to get sucked in by a good deal and take a detour to CVS on the drive home. Now I never know if there's a sale going on at the drugstores, so I won't be tempted to buy more 40% off Wet n' Wild eyeshadow palettes. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Read reviews on things you're interested. Talk about potential buys and see what others think. I heard this one trick years ago: When you want to use your credit or debit card to buy something, but it in a container , fill it with water and freeze it. You'll have to wait until it thaws--this gives u the time to think things over!!

For me before I was able to buy new makeup for the first time in 4 years (besides foundation), I made it a goal to use only the same products (eyeshadow colors and everything) for one week at a time and make it look different every day.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me before I was able to buy new makeup for the first time in 4 years (besides foundation), I made it a goal to use only the same products (eyeshadow colors and everything) for one week at a time and make it look different every day.

4 years? wow! you must have had a lot of makeup! or at least a lot of variation. I tried doing a no-buy, I failed haha. I don't feel like I buy makeup that often, but I have to try to save money, so I might attempt it again. The downside for me is that I not only have to avoid buying makeup, but I also have a 50% employee discount off clothes at Ann Taylor Loft. So many traps! haha

4 years is impressive! I think for me to implement a no buy would be to not use the internet at home & not go to shopping malls. On my days off recently I've stayed home like a hermit & that works, but I end up going online & get inspired in other ways... :)

Back