No-Buy Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm feeling the "itch" I:

* Reorganize my stash (usually I rediscover lost gems)

* Search current makeup looks, and dupe them using my stash (this usually works for the new MAC collections, and I usually discover that I already have really similar colors already)

* Try to remember that I really don't need 20 different shades of the same color. They may look different swatched, but once they are applied they will look really similar. (like Mac's going bananas and Mac's Sun Blonde. Are they really so different that I can't achieve the same look? Do I have to match the look exactly? Can I achieve a similar look using my current stash?)

* I make a deal with myself that I have to actually finish 3 items to buy one

* Try different combinations of base and shadows, or lipstick and gloss, to get different looks and finishes

Great tips.... thanks RoxyJ... I especially like the idea of reorganising your stash.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I will just go through and organize my makeup again and realize that I have every freaking color on the planet. I will decide what I will use for the month (like purple month) and put it in a cute makeup bag and when I feel the urge to buy again, I will just create another "collection" of my own using stuff I haven't used in a while.

I do the same thing, I rotate my makeup, so I feel like I have new stuff haha.

Ya know one thing that helps me is to have a seasonal budget, like $25-50 a season, and just decide ahead of time what I will get and that's it for the next three months.  I just got a curling wand ($25 Remington pearl styling wand), and while it totally felt "guilty" knowing I have three other curling irons under the sink, I really do love this one and I don't feel all "restricted" by limiting myself.

I went through the same thing with clothes as well as makeup, if I saw something I liked, I would buy it. You really don't realize how much you're spending if you just put it on your card.

What I do when I think I really want something is have a good hard look at it and think 'Do I really need it?' I know I, personally, stick to a colors that I think really suit me, so whenever I see another color that I know doesn't even look brilliant on me but still want it I just think to myself, sure its a nice color but it wont suit me anyway!

Also another one I use is go for the cheaper brands like MUA and e.l.f (most items are only around £1-3) so you can try out new colors and see what ones really work without forking out a lot of money for stuff like MAC. Sure the quality might not be as good (personally I think e.l.f's quality is really good especially for the price), but if you find a color you really love you can save up to buy the same shade in a higher quality brand.

Hope this helps.

I know what helps me is my blog . I post there pictures and reviews of all the items that I used up. Using a product then is kind of super productive for me because, I have removed it from my stash, plus I feel I can properly give a review of the product on my blog. Double win!

*edited by mod*

I haven't taken a no-buy pledge, just a buy smarter and smaller commitment. Maybe this sounds silly, but my main problem with many products is that there's too much in a container and I get bored with it before I've even used half. I signed up for Birchbox and for $10 a month I get 4-6 largish samples, which is really the ideal size for me. They are often things I wouldn't even consider because of the price, so I'd never get a chance to try them otherwise.

My deal with myself is that if I use the entire sample, still want more and it's under a certain price point, then I'll buy it. Birchbox also gives you lots of opportunities to earn points that can be redeemed for full-sized orders and I never purchase anything unless I have enough points to put towards a purchase and get a discount. Also, I almost always buy the smallest size I can — the larger sizes might technically be better deal but if you never use it all, then it's really money wasted instead of saved. Maybe for some people a no-buy diet is necessary, but for me it would be too strict and I'd end up splurging even more!

If I see items that I really really really want& I'm on a no-buy, I just walk away thinking no I do t need it. I have enough make up.

1) Stay indoors! (LOL but this works for me)

2) Do sporty things, like wakeboarding or hiking. Not only are they good for you and help you keep fit, you probably won't be needing new makeup for these things!

3) Go through your makeup stash and you'll find that you actually have so many wonderful items that you rarely use. This could be like a shopping trip to a makeup flea, except that it's your own flea. Ha ha.

4) Focus on skincare rather than makeup. You'll find that once your skin is glowing and healthy, you'll have less need for makeup to cover up imperfections!

5) Distract yourself from thinking about makeup. This is not easy especially if you're a makeup junkie - it's like trying to put an end to an addiction. Maybe take up a new hobby, like gardening or reading?

xoxo,

Roxanne

The best way to stick to a no buy is to pull out something in your stash that you never use and force yourself to be inventive.  It is not only fun but it helps you rediscover things and revisit looks that you once loved.  

Hi I'm new and  I used to be a raging buyaholic..Now I keep it very simple..Just a few products..blush powder.concealer..Got a great one on eBay ..SO cheap...lip liner Rimmel..cheap.. and even dollar store scores

I got some great Almay blush for a dollar recently...The best lip gloss in the WORLD comes from my beauty supply place and it is 99 cents no lie..I also buy samples on eBay first if I really want to try something something very cheap...I also do A LOT of DIY skin care and have seen AMAZING results VERY cheaply..No like REALLY cheap.(I'm cheap lol).I make mad scientist masks and creams from all natural stuff..I bought copper peptides and glycolic acid and hyaluronic acid SO cheap on eBay and it is amazing ...Coconut oil is amazing and castor oil ..Has to be virgin organic and cold pressed though..They penetrate the skin VERY deeply..You should also actually eat some of the coconut oil every day and cod liver oil too.. .I have actually lightened my dark spots on my face and elbows with just lemon juice and potatoes in less than  a month..My skin is glowing from the raw honey and all the crazy things I make up and my pores have shrunk and my two pock marks are going away..I know this is a no buy zone..but if you are gonna' buy ..buy cheap and you can do it naturally..You do not need high end stuff that will make you go broke and probably won't even work. I do get Birchbox and just use that too Whatever they give me so I can mix up that stuff with the natural stuff..

I go shopping with my bf, he'd usually ask me what do I need from the mall, then he will just stare at me if I found something I want but I don't need, that calms me down from the itch. We went to Macy's and Forever 21, I saw a bunch of spring tops I love, but I just bought whatever I needed and did not spend extra money! I could have spend hundreds on clothes that I don't need. He doesn't hate going shopping with me but I just feel bad having him to look at cosmetics and ladies clothing with me, especially when I am in a line waiting to pay, and see those husbands and boyfriends sitting on couches next to the register looking dead like a zombie.

No buys are so hard! I've found that totally avoiding temptation has been the best route haha!

I feel weird shopping for makeup with my husband! He always looks so bored and uncomfortable. Plus, he's really good at talking me out of impulse buys. 

Originally Posted by yoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I go shopping with my bf, he'd usually ask me what do I need from the mall, then he will just stare at me if I found something I want but I don't need, that calms me down from the itch. We went to Macy's and Forever 21, I saw a bunch of spring tops I love, but I just bought whatever I needed and did not spend extra money! I could have spend hundreds on clothes that I don't need. He doesn't hate going shopping with me but I just feel bad having him to look at cosmetics and ladies clothing with me, especially when I am in a line waiting to pay, and see those husbands and boyfriends sitting on couches next to the register looking dead like a zombie.

lol I am glad that my boyfriend doesn't find it boring, well he would still prefer looking at clothes with me than looking at make up with me, I guess that counts as a no buy tip too because I avoid walking into sephora when I am shopping with him, unless I really want to try out some perfumes.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel weird shopping for makeup with my husband! He always looks so bored and uncomfortable. Plus, he's really good at talking me out of impulse buys. 

I find that I usually end up in the cosmetics store when I'm feeling blue or I've had a hard day and want to comfort myself a little bit. So this is my suggestion, avoid going to the store when you're feeling down, on your period, etc. Most of the impulsive buys I've ever made were because I wanted to "treat myself" when I've had a bad day. The worst thing is that such impulsive buys include colours that don't suit you and products you'll never get to use. 

And beware the hype of cheap products. Because it's only a dollar or two you think it's not real money but after several buys it actually becomes money. Money you could have saved up for something you really wanted but thought was expensive. I'm really really guilty of doing this.

You could also avoid going to the store unless you need something, and once you're there only buy whatever you need. E.g. if you only need hairspray don't buy anything else. And avoid the special offers and sales. There's no use in getting 3x2 in lipglosses if a single tube of gloss lasts for months. Chances are it will get bad in your stash before you even have a chance to use it.

The tips you all gave are really useful and I've definetely going to try them.

Originally Posted by esthergarcia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could also avoid going to the store unless you need something, and once you're there only buy whatever you need. E.g. if you only need hairspray don't buy anything else. And avoid the special offers and sales. 
This one is a toughie for me as I often need items from the drugstore on my way to work....and there's the oh-so-convenient makeup displays....Still, I'm doing a lot better about it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Maybe you could make a list and appoint a day to go and buy everything you'll need for the week? That will surely stop impulsive shopping.

Originally Posted by esthergarcia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe you could make a list and appoint a day to go and buy everything you'll need for the week? That will surely stop impulsive shopping.
Sadly, it didn't LOL

Back