November 2014 No/Low buy Support Thread (and cookies!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right, I've done my damage with the holiday sets/sale, now I'm on a low buy till 2015. I'm allowing small purchases in December if

Sephora does the 100 pt perfume minis again, and also a purchase with the $20 coupon that I held off on during this sale
and Secret Santa, (although I've got quite a few things tucked away, depending on what it turns out my Santee would like) and other than that it's time to use all this stuff that I obsessed for months about buying, lol.
Hahah @ starting to use all the stuff you bought! I need to start doing that too! I'm kind of a hoarder/collector and I just have it sitting around looking pretty. I'm pretty much on a no buy until January as well, except for

black friday deals if any of them are deals on things I actually use/need, the $ off coupons they email out in December, the advent deals,
.... and I think that's it.

My Birthday is in January too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I am planning to ask for only gift cards at christmas and spend them a couple weeks later so my Birthday can include a haul and I can feel like I didn't spend "real" money.
Good idea! I actually have a store credit for around $70, but I want to wait until January to use it. I have a $10 giftcard right now that I'll probably use for any

black friday deals if any of them are deals on things I actually use/need, the $ off coupons they email out in December, the advent deals,

Also, I'm about to make some returns to various stores, so with the money I get back from that, I'll probably try to buy some good christmas presents.... or maybe supplies to make presents this year. We'll see!

How is everyone doing on this fine day?

Oh, in other news, I have to say that I

reached VIB Rouge 
photo46_zps39b2e5b2.jpg
this weekend during the 20% off sale. Although I am not super proud of that, I am kind of excited. It's a one-time thing. I'll never reach it again, but I just wanted to have it once, and I was close this year anyway due to stupid splurge spending that I've been doing. So I thought, why not?

How is everyone doing on this fine day?

Oh, in other news, I have to say that I

reached VIB Rouge 
photo46_zps39b2e5b2.jpg
this weekend during the 20% off sale. Although I am not super proud of that, I am kind of excited. It's a one-time thing. I'll never reach it again, but I just wanted to have it once, and I was close this year anyway due to stupid splurge spending that I've been doing. So I thought, why not?
Hah I will say that last year I said the same thing--reached Rouge right around Christmas and said no this is a one time thing only, fluke of a year...and hear I am having reupped for next year before Thanksgiving even hits! Haha. [not trying to be a Negative Nancy just sharing my experience.]

That being said, one of my goals for next year explicitly is to not hit Rouge again. I'm going to try only to buy my skincare there and keep other purchases from Sephora to a minimum. I just don't think the program is really worth it and would rather give my money to Ulta (for points that convert to dollars) and Nordstrom (better service, also can accrue money off, though at a slower rate). I know I'll still be VIB at Sephora, simply from skincare and a few other staples that they sell there, but hoping to transition a lot of my purchasing! And also do less non-staple purchasing in general.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You guys will be so proud of me.

I almost dropped $70 at QVS for the tarte giftset because it comes with so many full sized items including 2 blushes, 2 palettes, 3 lip products and 3 liners plus 2 mascaras.

I went so far as to check out entirely and pay for the order. I immediately cancelled it. I reminded myself that I still have a palette from their christmas collection 2 years ago that I have touched maybe 3 times, and 2 blushes I am far from hitting pan on. I will consider tarte maybe for next year, but I refuse to break my no-buy! D< so there it is... my moment of weakness, averted by a hair. 

I keep putting things in my cart-etsy, sephora, qvc...but not checking out. I have to keep reminding myself that I have a wedding and honeymoon to pay for, and I need to use up some of the things I have.

I almost bought the qvc tarte set also, but had to tell myself "it's not a good deal if I only use it once."

So far this month, I've purchased the hello waffle sub ($25), 4 shadows from notoriously morbid ($16), and a tarte blush off Facebook ($15). That's not bad...I'm planning to hit ulta and sephora on Black Friday but not allowed to buy anything with eyeliner, mascara, lotion or body wash. I do plan to purchase the it cosmetics brush set at ulta ($54) and I will need some eye makeup remover-but I plan to try avon ($4).

I did receive a $70 refund from victorian disco cosmetics from 2 months ago, so that's sitting in my PayPal...but not planning on using it.

This is my birthday month, so a no buy is definitely a no! I'm currently paying off my Canon T3i, $157 to go. Half of the cost was my birthday/christmas/graduation, but the rest is on my own tab.

After that, there are two Benefit sets I'm eyeing: Cheeky Sweet Spot and Tintations. (NOTE: CSS is OOS on Ulta & Sephora's websites... I REALLY REALLY want it so let's pray they'll still carry it in stores).

As always, I have a long LUSH list, but I particularly want:

• Snowman Jelly
  • First Snow dusting powder
  • Butterbear
  • Snowman FUN (this is too cute i need it in my life)
  • Rub Rub Rub (i used mine up, so i'm stealing my sister's; i need to repurchase it though)
  • Eau Roma Water (almost out NOOOOOO)
  • Movis (to be honest, idk what this does for your skin, i just think it sounds cool)
  • R&B (i've sampled this several times and i want to buy it more than i can express)
  • Curly Wurly (i recently tried a sample of this, and i need to get a little bit more experience with it before purchasing; for now i like it though!)
Black Friday shopping isn't likely, as my mom doesn't want to take me and my sister :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . SAD FACE! Expect online orders, however :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OH! I also need a new phone case (mine is broken), and my phone needs to be taken to the Apple store (sound stopped working a few months ago and the 1 year warranty just expired so I really need to fix it).

There are definitely clothing/shoe essentials I'm hunting for, but they aren't in my plan for this month. We'll see!

Other than that, I'm just trying to work through more of my products, and find one foundation/bb cream that ACTUALLY works (covers) without caking everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have managed to keep to my no-buy so far this month. I also used up a bunch of ingredients that I use to DIY skincare. My daughter had a sleepover so I made a bunch of skincare with them. They spilled a bunch too but fortunately nothing was super expensive and I'm trying to use up stuff anyway. The girls had a lot of fun. They kept telling me that they didn't know it was possible to make it at home. DIYing skincare has really helped me to stop buying and trying a ton of different things. Now I finish what I make and don't have half used stuff sitting around in my drawers. And less chemicals on my body. Heaven knows I get enough chemical exposure from my makeup!

This weekend I gave away pristine items in my stash to two different ladies who helped me out.  I offered them an unexpected and kind gesture in return which was appreciated.  I gave away a total of four full-sized lip products, translucent powder, and three deluxe-sized samples - definitely happy with this decision!  

Also, I set aside a bucket to house my empties.  By the end of this week I should be finished with a face wash, a lip balm, and a moisturizer - can't wait to put their packages in my bin with the other empties!  Once the bucket is full I am going to empty it in my recycling bin and reward myself by ordering in pizza.  This is a win/win because this means I will also give me an incentive to refrain from ordering takeout for the foreseeable future.

I don't travel enough to justify the collection of travel-sized products in my stash.  I used some shower gel I received as a sample as bubble bath for one of my kids and it made for a happy kid.  One thing I need to wrap my head around is figuring out how to thin out my sample collection I have accumulated from gifts with purchase and beauty subscriptions.  I'm thinking of having a Saturday ritual involving opening and using at least two or three different samples and if they aren't very good just toss them without guilt and if they work out well continue using them - considering purchasing the full-sized item when its time for a replacement.

In six months I am going to have a smaller stash and an even smaller stash in a year.  This is a work in progress and I am making progress! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I feel so super proud of myself! I've been making carts at Ulta, Sephora, BBW, LUSH, QVC, all filled with pretty things that I want, but definitely don't need, and I haven't purchased any of it. I came close at Bath and Body Works, but I've been reminding myself that I have so much unused product filling my bathroom cabinets and of just how long it takes to use up things, even the items that are smaller or deluxe size. I always hate missing out on holiday stuff, but so it goes! There's always next year, since the same scents tend to show up year after year. Hopefully by then, I can buy them without feeling guilty. 

Forgive me if I ramble on a bit here, but I feel like this is relevant to my no-buy/low-buy/project pan madness and I'll go ahead and put it below a cut because there's a little talk of mental health concerns as well:

I think I'm going to do a massive purge at the end of the month. Or maybe sooner, I don't know. I deal with severe depression and anxiety, and 99% of my stash is the result of self-medication in the form of retail therapy as I try to deal with those issues. Shopping and acquiring things makes me feel better for a little while, but then guilt sets in, as well as just the feeling of being overwhelmed by so much stuff, and frankly, I'm sick of it. It's something I've talked about with my therapist a lot and it's a lot like that quote from Fight Club - "The things you own end up owning you". He's suggested a more minimalist lifestyle, which is something that can help people in my shoes.

The only thing holding me back at this point is just the thought of all of the money that I've spent and wasted on all of these things and I keep thinking, "Well, I spent X amount of dollars on it, so it'd be such a waste to just throw it away or get rid of it" even though it's totally a sunk cost argument. The money is already spent, it's already gone, holding onto it and letting it weigh me down won't make things better, you know? What's the point of keeping that unflattering blush/lipstick/whatever if I don't get any joy out of it and it just makes everything worse? That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Guys I've been craving buying :C not just necessarily spending money as much as "NEED shiny new thing" syndrome. It started with the barely avoided tarte fiasco, and now I just keep wanting stuff. I think it's because of all the emails I keep getting peppered with. I don't want to unsubscribe, per se, because i sometimes get cool ideas of how to use my items from those, but i really cant wait for the holidays to be over.

Forgive me if I ramble on a bit here, but I feel like this is relevant to my no-buy/low-buy/project pan madness and I'll go ahead and put it below a cut because there's a little talk of mental health concerns as well:

I think I'm going to do a massive purge at the end of the month. Or maybe sooner, I don't know. I deal with severe depression and anxiety, and 99% of my stash is the result of self-medication in the form of retail therapy as I try to deal with those issues. Shopping and acquiring things makes me feel better for a little while, but then guilt sets in, as well as just the feeling of being overwhelmed by so much stuff, and frankly, I'm sick of it. It's something I've talked about with my therapist a lot and it's a lot like that quote from Fight Club - "The things you own end up owning you". He's suggested a more minimalist lifestyle, which is something that can help people in my shoes.

The only thing holding me back at this point is just the thought of all of the money that I've spent and wasted on all of these things and I keep thinking, "Well, I spent X amount of dollars on it, so it'd be such a waste to just throw it away or get rid of it" even though it's totally a sunk cost argument. The money is already spent, it's already gone, holding onto it and letting it weigh me down won't make things better, you know? What's the point of keeping that unflattering blush/lipstick/whatever if I don't get any joy out of it and it just makes everything worse? That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.
I just read this and I have to say I'm really glad you wrote it. It *really* hit home with me. I've added my own ramble on the topic below.

I also struggle with pretty awful anxiety and a little above average depression. I take medication for it, but it still exists in my life and hinders me in many ways. Retail therapy is how I deal with it too, that and a few other unhealthy things, such as not going to sleep, and waffling majorly because I can't make a decision, also picking at my cuticles (eek). 

But, I notice that when I have everything organized in my bedroom/office/bathroom/wherever I'm spending the most time, I feel like I can relax and move on and actually make decisions and get work done or get peace.

So I think this minimalist lifestyle is going to be extremely important to my wellbeing in the near and far future.

I've actually talked to my therapist about the shopping too, but she's really a bit too practical sometimes for my crazy mind, and she'll just tell me to make a budget. It's a little more difficult than that! So I'm glad to know about the minimalist lifestyle being a good umm... you know, thing to try to practice.

I also have appreciated the 'sunken cost fallacy' discussion that has happened in this forum lately. It really put a name to what I've been thinking about- and I know it would help my Mom and Dad too-....

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, and it's good to know I'm not totally alone in my shopping habits.

In other news, I've done all my shopping for myself this month. I had wanted to keep it at a maximum of $250... let's see how I did:

Sephora 1. $13.70 (gift, 20% off)

Sephora 2. $53.93 (20% off)

Sephora 3. $53.93 (20% off)

Sephora 4. (in store) $147.19 (20% off)

Sephora 5. (in store) $0 (had store credit from returns + 20% off)

Total: $268.00
Not too bad, just $18.80 over! I consider this a success if I can keep to my no-buy the rest of this month...

Except if one of the black friday/$off/advent deals are useful, then I can get one of those with my $10 giftcard.

I'm kind of proud of myself for not making extra purchases to get one of the

deluxe sample giftbag at Sephora.
That's one of the things I was really looking forward to, but none of them really called my name, so it made it easy to just use the 20% off code. 

Now to just go on a no-buy until January!

You know, I don't know if you're doing secret Santa but there is a thread here where people are posting things they are willing to sell for the cost of shipping so that others on here are able to get more for their Santee. If you are interested and if any of your stash is new or very lightly used, it might be able to find a new home that way and also get intot he holiday spirit and make some santees really really happy. https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/134915-not-your-santa-warehouse-and-workshop-2014/

I also deal with anxiety and depression, and I've really found that moving in a more minimalist direction has helped with the anxiety. *hugs*

I just read this and I have to say I'm really glad you wrote it. It *really* hit home with me. I've added my own ramble on the topic below.

I also struggle with pretty awful anxiety and a little above average depression. I take medication for it, but it still exists in my life and hinders me in many ways. Retail therapy is how I deal with it too, that and a few other unhealthy things, such as not going to sleep, and waffling majorly because I can't make a decision, also picking at my cuticles (eek). 

But, I notice that when I have everything organized in my bedroom/office/bathroom/wherever I'm spending the most time, I feel like I can relax and move on and actually make decisions and get work done or get peace.

So I think this minimalist lifestyle is going to be extremely important to my wellbeing in the near and far future.

I've actually talked to my therapist about the shopping too, but she's really a bit too practical sometimes for my crazy mind, and she'll just tell me to make a budget. It's a little more difficult than that! So I'm glad to know about the minimalist lifestyle being a good umm... you know, thing to try to practice.

I also have appreciated the 'sunken cost fallacy' discussion that has happened in this forum lately. It really put a name to what I've been thinking about- and I know it would help my Mom and Dad too-....

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, and it's good to know I'm not totally alone in my shopping habits.

In other news, I've done all my shopping for myself this month. I had wanted to keep it at a maximum of $250... let's see how I did:

Sephora 1. $13.70 (gift, 20% off)

Sephora 2. $53.93 (20% off)

Sephora 3. $53.93 (20% off)

Sephora 4. (in store) $147.19 (20% off)

Sephora 5. (in store) $0 (had store credit from returns + 20% off)

Total: $268.00
Not too bad, just $18.80 over! I consider this a success if I can keep to my no-buy the rest of this month...

Except if one of the black friday/$off/advent deals are useful, then I can get one of those with my $10 giftcard.

I'm kind of proud of myself for not making extra purchases to get one of the

deluxe sample giftbag at Sephora.
That's one of the things I was really looking forward to, but none of them really called my name, so it made it easy to just use the 20% off code. 

Now to just go on a no-buy until January!
Thank you so much for sharing! It really is comforting to know that there are other people who have the same experiences and overspend and buy too much for the same reasons! I've noticed the same thing as well - when everything around me is clean and organized, devoid of clutter, I feel so much lighter and I'm able to be more productive. And yes! The whole 'just make a budget and stick to it' suggestion is often not helpful to people in our shoes.

You know, I don't know if you're doing secret Santa but there is a thread here where people are posting things they are willing to sell for the cost of shipping so that others on here are able to get more for their Santee. If you are interested and if any of your stash is new or very lightly used, it might be able to find a new home that way and also get intot he holiday spirit and make some santees really really happy. https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/134915-not-your-santa-warehouse-and-workshop-2014/
I hadn't seen that, but thank you for sharing! Most of the stuff I'm going to be getting rid of is either old, well-used, or has expired, but I can call a few items to mind that have been touched once, maybe twice, so they might do well over there.

I also deal with anxiety and depression, and I've really found that moving in a more minimalist direction has helped with the anxiety. *hugs*
*hugs* Thank you! Minimalism seems like a good approach and from what I've been reading, it's not necessarily a cure, but it can definitely help people who are experiencing anxiety and depression. I've come to realize that clutter just overwhelms me and weighs me down, making everything much, much worse.

Oh! I forgot to mention it in my last post and I didn't want it to get swallowed up in all of the replies - but I've dramatically overhauled how I've chosen to declutter my stash.

I used to drag everything out, sort it into various piles, and do away with a whole huge pile at one time, but I always hated that. I'd end up feeling guilty when I looked at the size of my stash, guilty when I considered getting rid of anything, and I just ended up getting overwhelmed by the pile at hand. Decluttering everything at once was pretty exhausting and to be honest, it was pretty unpleasant emotionally.

So, now what I've decided to do is basically vote items off the island a few at a time. Every other day, I grab a handful of items out of one of the many bags under my sink and sit down to really think about everything there. I test it out, see how the color looks on my skin tone, think about the formula, give it some sniffs to ensure it hasn't gone bad, and think about if I really enjoy using it and if it brings me joy to have it or not. I've found that this isn't overwhelming, I don't feel guilty if I'm only passing along or pitching two or three items at a time, and since I'm not trying to evaluate several dozen other things, then I can devote more time and thought to what I'm considering.

Oh! I forgot to mention it in my last post and I didn't want it to get swallowed up in all of the replies - but I've dramatically overhauled how I've chosen to declutter my stash.

I used to drag everything out, sort it into various piles, and do away with a whole huge pile at one time, but I always hated that. I'd end up feeling guilty when I looked at the size of my stash, guilty when I considered getting rid of anything, and I just ended up getting overwhelmed by the pile at hand. Decluttering everything at once was pretty exhausting and to be honest, it was pretty unpleasant emotionally.

So, now what I've decided to do is basically vote items off the island a few at a time. Every other day, I grab a handful of items out of one of the many bags under my sink and sit down to really think about everything there. I test it out, see how the color looks on my skin tone, think about the formula, give it some sniffs to ensure it hasn't gone bad, and think about if I really enjoy using it and if it brings me joy to have it or not. I've found that this isn't overwhelming, I don't feel guilty if I'm only passing along or pitching two or three items at a time, and since I'm not trying to evaluate several dozen other things, then I can devote more time and thought to what I'm considering.
You might want to try the Monday club as well. https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/127783-the-monday-club/page-44. You can try something for a week to see if it works for you or not, and then toss it if it doesn't. And you don't end up doing a massive purge all at once either.

Add me to the list of people that a more minimal lifestyle helps with my depression/anxiety. 

You might want to try the Monday club as well. https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/127783-the-monday-club/page-44. You can try something for a week to see if it works for you or not, and then toss it if it doesn't. And you don't end up doing a massive purge either.

Add me to the list of people that a more minimal lifestyle helps with my depression/anxiety. 
I actually do the Monday Club! I suppose it's actually the every other Monday club for me since I don't wear makeup every day at the moment, but I still like to swap things out. It's where I put all of the, "ehh... maybe you can stay" items until I make up my mind about them.

Minimalism seems like it can be such a great help to people. Maybe a thread all about attaining a minimalist lifestyle and minimalist beauty is in order?

I would love a minimalist lifestyle/minimalist beauty thread. I find those kind of discussions really helpful actually. I've been working towards a more minimalist direction for a couple years now and it definitely changed my life for the better!

I feel great when I purge stuff, for awhile, then the panic need to replace what I purged hits me. I just keep on the meds and try to fight the urge.

Circular Swaps have been a huge help to me. Now instead of guilt-inducing piles staring at me, they go into my CS stash, I get them out of my house that way in exchange for stuff I really love and will use. I usually forget to post in the thread but Monday Club is another big help.

CS and Secret Santa also fulfills a big social need for me. Being a full-time caregiver is very isolating, 98% of the time I am either stuck in the house, doing grocery runs, pharmacy runs, or driving to Dr. appointments. I eat and spend too much to numb it away. But, I love my Momma more than life itself, and I know that I am actually lucky to be in the position to be her full time caregiver.

Back