November 2014 No/Low buy Support Thread (and cookies!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best body scrub I've used is a mix of cornmeal and honey. I always mixed it right before I used it, I can't imagine it lasts very well. The other problem with it is that you get cornmeal all over your bathtub/shower, and you have to be sure to rinse that off. But it's the best.

Omg talk me off the ledge that is the limited edition bobbi brown highlighter. Do not look it up as you'll want it. Put down the phone....omg.

I failed at my no buy with an order from sephora. I've spent probably about $150 this month, probably $100 of that I didn't need (did buy some essentials).

Need...to...walk....away...I'm going to go walk around here at work to get away from the phone/computer.
you don't need it. highlighters all look exactly the same on the skin at the end of the day, not to mention limited edition things means if you fall in love with it...TOO BAD! You won't be able to repurchase, and if you can get it off of ebay or blog sales, it'll be that much more expensive.

I say save it and just use that money to treat yourself and a friend/significant other to a nice meal. 

No makeup/beauty purchases this month except for a secret santa exchange.  But there's a beautiful, limited indie eyeshadow coming out tomorrow, and gosh darn it, I WANT IT.  Not sure if it's just the "i've gone months without buying anything" justification finally rearing its head, but I am prepared to slip up on a small order tomorrow.  And I will forgive myself.

(Also, not afraid to share this because they've already run out) I did buy 3 Modcloth "Surprise" dresses (@$10 ea, so $30 + $4 shipping).  I'm ok with this because they'll either be AMAZING, or I'll be able to sell them fairly easily.  I'm OK with this purchase because I don't have that many dresses, and since I'm starting to move from my "stay-at-home-mom" wardrobe of yoga pants and old tees to a more professional wardrobe as I start job-hunting, I need all the nice clothing I can get!

Other than that, doing well, went into a Sephora and didn't buy anything, went into an Ulta and only bought a few things for secret santa.  Hope everyone is doing well!

I just had a victory. I paid off all of my personal CC's balance (I use Bill Me Later/PP Credit as my card, since it's convenient and tied to my bank account). I'm debt free on that point! WOOHOO! That means that my monthly allowances starting in December can now go towards savings instead of having to go towards paying stuff off... my goal is to start saving up that money for a nice trip next year or something (I get $50 a paycheck, so $100 a month, which at the end of the year will be a bit over 1k...i'll treat el husband to a nice trip for next Christmas).

EDIT: Welp, my victory was shortlived ;-; I got sucked into the makeup exchange on instagram and blew some cash. I'll still be able to have it all paid off to start with a fresh slate in December, but I feel kinda crappy that I broke my no-buy ;-; ...

however, it was a brand new marc jacobs blush in a color I don't have, for a third of what they usually go for bought from the store. I figured it would be my one christmas treat since I'm avoiding sephora/ulta like the plague

Alas. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been too busy this month to do much shopping, so the personal no buy is going very well. I've made some gift purchases and that's it. And the few Memeboxes that have been released this month have not been tempting at all, so yay for more money in my wallet!

Hey ladies, is it too early to start the December thread?

Also, is it too early to start a 2015 goals thread? I am itching to plan things out, hahaha!

Hey ladies, is it too early to start the December thread?

Also, is it too early to start a 2015 goals thread? I am itching to plan things out, hahaha!
I think there's already a goals thread with the 100 day no buy thread... though you can check :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and November's still going strong for the next 5 days. Maybe one can be created closer to the 30th?

Anyways, hello all. I went to organize my stash yesterday and realized...I have so much stuff x-x. Then I remember how long it takes to use up one of these things and I wonder, why the heck do I have so much?! 

I think there's already a goals thread with the 100 day no buy thread... though you can check :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and November's still going strong for the next 5 days. Maybe one can be created closer to the 30th?

Anyways, hello all. I went to organize my stash yesterday and realized...I have so much stuff x-x. Then I remember how long it takes to use up one of these things and I wonder, why the heck do I have so much?! 
I agree- we should wait on November. I'm not sure why I'm such a hurry!

But I'm not planning on participating in the 100-day no buy, so I might create a special one for the 2015 annual goals like we did last year for 2014... or if someone else wants to do that, that's good too! I'll wait a little on that too, I think maybe mid-December?

Anyway, Iike I said, I'm not sure why I'm so much in a rush. I guess I just feel like planning things. Hahah.

Well, I wonder that too about why I have so much stuff. It does make me antsy and anxious, and I am looking forward to being more minimalistic in my beauty routines from here on out. But I don't know.... I guess, we like what we like, right? And even if we don't use every bit of product, we'll still get enjoyment and use out of it. I mean, I'm not trying to say "Don't worry, keep buying" because that's not what we're about here, and it is really good to evaluate, but I just hope you don't feel so badly about all that you've aquired that it makes you feel like it's not fun anymore. I think it's still fun.

I kind of want to create a little thread were a group of us can do a weekly look. We could either watch youtube tutorials and pick a look to do on ourselves, or create our own looks trying to kind of get some creative use out of what we have without spending the time and energy on buying and aquiring.

@@eastofthesun I love all of your ideas, and I would love to participate in a weekly makeup look. Sounds kind of like the Monday Club but even more fun!

I haven't been buying as much makeup lately which is making me feel better about my stash! And I really have been enjoying the products I have.

Still going strong! I think Black Friday will be the true test for me, though. I managed to get a sneak peek and see what they are, thanks to someone who shared the pictures Sephora posted on their snapchat. I just need to remind myself of what's happened to every other Sephora Black Friday deal I've purchased. Less than a week left in the month and I want to finish strong!

Other than spending more than I would have liked on eating out this month (oops) and a crate of wine (double oops), I've been doing awesome on my no-buy! Buuuuut..... Black Friday deals are already coming forth and things are starting to get very difficult. I've already had to talk myself out of some amazing clothing bargains (actually, I sort of unintentionally let them expire). I'm so weak for clothes and shoes, even more so than for beauty, but I've got little devils tempting me in that zone too. I'm trying to remember that I need to shop for gifts for other people, not gifts for myself! I've already gifted myself with my planned purchase for the month, and I don't need more.

So I just noticed that Kid got back on the list for mac's shadows on their main page, and now I feel totally played by the company! D< I had bought 2 back ups back when they announced that they were discontinuing it... I guess they changed their mind? either that or a lot of women were like "NO!" and they had to recall it from discontinuing. Though I do see it on their matte section instead of their veluxe section, so perhaps they were reformulating? 

At any rate, it's a pity that they're getting rid of their veluxe and matte2 formulas, since in all honesty, those are their best formulas in the "matte" end of the spectrum. Buttery and easily blendable...far easier than their straight up Mattes, I feel. 

I am actually not on a no buy this month but I do need your help.

I wantes the brown eye set from the mac keepsakes collection since I first saw it, and yesterday when I walked past the mac counter I saw that they had it in stock and i scratchade it (it was looooovley). I know I shouldn't get it because I'm on an all year low buy, but I want it so much! It comes with an eyeshadow duo (nude/taupe), a pencil eyeliner (brown) and a mascara. Mascara always gets used. The eyeshadows are the pretty much the shades I use for my go to look, and I have never tried mac eyeshadows ( I know, I've been living under a rock). I have a pencil eyeliner from them and it's the best I own, brown is my favorite color to use and I only have one in my collection. If this isn't enough to justify the purchase, I have a 20% off voucher and a gift card, so I would hardly pay anything for this.

Pleeeeease tell me I can run to mac and get myself an early christmas gift!!

I am actually not on a no buy this month but I do need your help.

I wantes the brown eye set from the mac keepsakes collection since I first saw it, and yesterday when I walked past the mac counter I saw that they had it in stock and i scratchade it (it was looooovley). I know I shouldn't get it because I'm on an all year low buy, but I want it so much! It comes with an eyeshadow duo (nude/taupe), a pencil eyeliner (brown) and a mascara. Mascara always gets used. The eyeshadows are the pretty much the shades I use for my go to look, and I have never tried mac eyeshadows ( I know, I've been living under a rock). I have a pencil eyeliner from them and it's the best I own, brown is my favorite color to use and I only have one in my collection. If this isn't enough to justify the purchase, I have a 20% off voucher and a gift card, so I would hardly pay anything for this.

Pleeeeease tell me I can run to mac and get myself an early christmas gift!!
I don't see why not-- as long as you use them frequently and feel good about them, it's all good-- It already sounds like you almost made your decision and just need a tiny tiny push. Getting it now will help you get through rest of this year on low buy much easier. I say go for it. 

I don't see why not-- as long as you use them frequently and feel good about them, it's all good-- It already sounds like you almost made your decision and just need a tiny tiny push. Getting it now will help you get through rest of this year on low buy much easier. I say go for it.
You're the best! *running to mac* these are all items I can use on a daily basis :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sigh, back to my end-of-month failing.  The good thing is they're two orders for indie companies, I only spent about $25 total, and it was the Black Friday sales sucking me in!  The bad news is, it's more eyeshadow (DO. NOT. NEED.), and I just really didn't need to be spending money on *me* right now!

Placing orders in spoiler, so as not to tempt:

- Aromaleigh - ordered a sample set of her Sol Invictus collection.  Normally $12, it was $9 for her 25% off Black Friday weekend sale.  Had to add another sample to get to $10 (many indie companies ask for a $10 order miminum), and got "Neurodivergent", one of her Autism Awareness shades.

- Notoriously Morbid - A few months ago, I got one of her "Lipcraft" glosses in "Cachtice", and it's pretty much my most fave gloss EVAR.  So I got two more glosses (Sparkle Horses, a Black Friday limited edition, and Kiss & Tell, which looks like a gorgeous neutral pink) and 3 MORE freaking eyeshadows.  But it's 40% off this weekend, AND comes with an adorable limited edition eyeshadow (lol yes, that makes 4 more eyeshadows total), and.....

Oh well, at least I'll be sparkly!

I now need to be done purchasing make up until Christmas.  I made my last big purchase just now (will discuss purchases in inventory thread probably once all the packages come in) and need to STOP. SPENDING. MONEY.  

But I am really happy to have all my packages coming in the week after I submit grad school applications.  I feel like I deserve some treats for all these sleepless nights.

How did everyone else end up doing this month?  Have you been strong through this shopping weekend?

Back