October 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bit of a dilemma... I allowed myself $100 for October to spend on Limited edition holiday stuff (the reasoning behind this is that was that technically I don't need anything at the moment, but if I miss out on LE stuff, I'll kick myself later, as I'm still kicking myself for not getting last year's Benefit Advent Calender). I identified 4 items (sets) on Sephora web site that total just over $100, so technically I could just go ahead and get them, and that will be within my low buy. However, I'm hesitant to do so because I'm worried that more holiday stuff will be released later this month, but my budget will be already gone. Plus, finances got a bit tighter since I set my spending limits, and I feel bad about spending money on things that I don't need (but really want). On top of that I'm worried that if I don't get them now, my pretties may sell out. 

And Ebates has 8% cash back on Sephora right now... [spoiler/]

So, what do I do?

I have a bit of a dilemma... I allowed myself $100 for October to spend on Limited edition holiday stuff (the reasoning behind this is that was that technically I don't need anything at the moment, but if I miss out on LE stuff, I'll kick myself later, as I'm still kicking myself for not getting last year's Benefit Advent Calender). I identified 4 items (sets) on Sephora web site that total just over $100, so technically I could just go ahead and get them, and that will be within my low buy. However, I'm hesitant to do so because I'm worried that more holiday stuff will be released later this month, but my budget will be already gone. Plus, finances got a bit tighter since I set my spending limits, and I feel bad about spending money on things that I don't need (but really want). On top of that I'm worried that if I don't get them now, my pretties may sell out. 

So, what do I do?
How about spending $50 now (sephora gives free shipping on $50 right?) , and see if there is anything better come out next month? I myself have one item that I am afraid will be sold out before the vib sale, but still hesitating here >_<

So, what do I do?
I would pick the 1 or 2 you love the very best and get them if they fit in your plan and you really can't stand the thought of being without them. That way you'll still have some budget money left for the rest of the month and any items that may pop up. I think that if you get all 4 today, you will probably go back for more later and go way over budget.

I totally believe the sunk cost fallacy applies to my life. It kept me from tossing out expired makeup and even kept me from using up makeup. It's amazing the power that the mind has over me. It even makes me overeat, thinking of the starving children in China (that's the country my parents chose as an example) that would love to have my wasted food. Even when I'm super full. I must finish everything on my plate, I think to myself.

Fortunately over the last two years, I have been analyzing my cosmetic obsession and have been changing my habits. I have been able to purge unloved products and have stopped buying backups. I still struggle with new purchases but that has dramatically decreased over the last two years.

I used to add products to my shopping cart to meet the minimum for free shipping by telling myself that I would eventually use product X. That was bad enough but then I realized that I was making it harder for myself to use up what I was currently using if I knew that I had something waiting in the wings. As I have whittled down my stash, there are a few categories that I only have one item to use. And I find that I am not bored with it. In fact I have no feelings about it. It just a X (concealer, powder, lip balm, etc). It's serving it's purpose and I'm satisfied. It's the categories that I have multiples of where I find myself getting bored or unsatisfied. I'm fickle about blush A cause blush D is so much smoother. Or I'm bored of palette B cause palette G has a matte highlight color. Or some other ridiculous reason I tell myself.

So based in that realization, I know that I HAVE TO get down to one of each item in each category. Although I can have subcategories (pink blush, peach blush, plum blush, etc), LOL! So that is my long term goal, get down to one each.

I also found that stuff I just had to have wasn't really as great as I thought it would be. I've gone through (and tossed) many creamy opaque lippies only to realize that I really like sheer lippies but not lipglosses. So I can chalk some of this obsession as an investment in finding what I truly like, but from this point on I'm not fooling myself anymore. I really don't need anything right now and what ever I buy is a violation of my philosophy.

Thanks for the support. It's great to read everyone's victories and defeats.

Halp - Wantable subscription is TOO GOOD!

Last month, in a frenzy of makeup-buying, I signed up for several subscription boxes I can't afford. Within days, I'd canceled all but Wantable, though I will still be getting the first month of Goodebox and Untoxicating Beauty in the next few weeks. Anyway, when I canceled Goodebox they asked a lot of questions about how I liked it so I figured I'd wait to cancel Wantable until I had the box in hand.

Now I don't want to let it go.

I got four items: a Tarina Tarantino Jasper/Agate Eye Dream Highlight Duo ($19), a Vincent Longo Volume Plus Mascara ($25), a Liberty Republic Spellbound Nail Lacquer in Aura ($14), and a Mica Beauty Cosmetics lipstick in Coral ($25) - a total value of $83 for just $36! And they're a total surprise, and while I haven't tried them yet, they all look like things I'll love.

I'm keeping this box for sure, but how do I make myself cancel the subscription? Other than reminding myself that I'm on a no-buy, and I don't have money for it right now, and...yeah. I've been going strong, but HALP ME PLEASE!
Idea:  Rather than cancelling - why not just get it every second or every third month?  Just a thought! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, what do I do?
I find gift sets so tempting. What I do to try to resist purchasing is go through my stash and see if I can put together a similar set using things I already own. Once I see that I already have everything anyway, it makes me less willing to purchase. Plus, it helps remind me of some of the great stuff I have lying around just waiting to be used.

I totally believe the sunk cost fallacy applies to my life. It kept me from tossing out expired makeup and even kept me from using up makeup. It's amazing the power that the mind has over me. It even makes me overeat, thinking of the starving children in China (that's the country my parents chose as an example) that would love to have my wasted food. Even when I'm super full. I must finish everything on my plate, I think to myself.

Fortunately over the last two years, I have been analyzing my cosmetic obsession and have been changing my habits. I have been able to purge unloved products and have stopped buying backups. I still struggle with new purchases but that has dramatically decreased over the last two years.

I used to add products to my shopping cart to meet the minimum for free shipping by telling myself that I would eventually use product X. That was bad enough but then I realized that I was making it harder for myself to use up what I was currently using if I knew that I had something waiting in the wings. As I have whittled down my stash, there are a few categories that I only have one item to use. And I find that I am not bored with it. In fact I have no feelings about it. It just a X (concealer, powder, lip balm, etc). It's serving it's purpose and I'm satisfied. It's the categories that I have multiples of where I find myself getting bored or unsatisfied. I'm fickle about blush A cause blush D is so much smoother. Or I'm bored of palette B cause palette G has a matte highlight color. Or some other ridiculous reason I tell myself.

So based in that realization, I know that I HAVE TO get down to one of each item in each category. Although I can have subcategories (pink blush, peach blush, plum blush, etc), LOL! So that is my long term goal, get down to one each.

I also found that stuff I just had to have wasn't really as great as I thought it would be. I've gone through (and tossed) many creamy opaque lippies only to realize that I really like sheer lippies but not lipglosses. So I can chalk some of this obsession as an investment in finding what I truly like, but from this point on I'm not fooling myself anymore. I really don't need anything right now and what ever I buy is a violation of my philosophy.

Thanks for the support. It's great to read everyone's victories and defeats.
I can so relate to this!

How about spending $50 now (sephora gives free shipping on $50 right?) , and see if there is anything better come out next month? I myself have one item that I am afraid will be sold out before the vib sale, but still hesitating here >_<

I would pick the 1 or 2 you love the very best and get them if they fit in your plan and you really can't stand the thought of being without them. That way you'll still have some budget money left for the rest of the month and any items that may pop up. I think that if you get all 4 today, you will probably go back for more later and go way over budget.

I find gift sets so tempting. What I do to try to resist purchasing is go through my stash and see if I can put together a similar set using things I already own. Once I see that I already have everything anyway, it makes me less willing to purchase. Plus, it helps remind me of some of the great stuff I have lying around just waiting to be used.
Thank you for your input ladies! I decided to split my list into two (thankfully, it can be easily divided into two orders just over $50 - yay, free shipping). I'll order one now, and the other one at the end of the month if I still want it and it's available and nothing more exiting showed up. 

Now, I just have to decide which items I want more... 

Thank you for your input ladies! I decided to split my list into two (thankfully, it can be easily divided into two orders just over $50 - yay, free shipping). I'll order one now, and the other one at the end of the month if I still want it and it's available and nothing more exiting showed up. 

Now, I just have to decide which items I want more...
Spoiler so as not to enable

I have a couple of 10% off codes at Sephora if you need one. Just PM me.

Idea:  Rather than cancelling - why not just get it every second or every third month?  Just a thought! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks, @@annatomical! I've decided to cancel for now and when/if my income goes up in a few months, I'll resubscribe. Goodebox does an every-other-month subscription and is half the cost anyway, so that's a better option for me if I really want a subscription in the meantime. However, I'm on a no-buy til the end of December so I'll hold off til at least then.

In other news, applied for another job today! It'd be great to supplement my income and get my debt paid off quickly. Wish me luck!

One thing that seems to be working for clean out for me: I did a decent sized clean out in late July. Everything I do not use frequently got put in a plastic drawer organizer thing and put in my linen closet. If I ever want to use something that is in there, I go get it and it gets moved to the main stash. Anything still there in 6 months is getting tossed. If I haven't used something in 6 months, I probably won't. And if I ever so desperately need that lip gloss that smells weird, or that peach lipstick that looks terrible on me that I regret tossing it, I have full permission to go buy a new one with no regrets.

I've pulled a few things out, but 75% of that drawer is sitting untouched.

I added a few more items to my pile of things to give away - the Jennifer Aniston perfume and a bareMinerals blush that's nearly identical to Coralista, which I love. I'm trying to keep only items that I absolutely love and adore, so if I find myself using it just because I'm trying to finish it and get it out of the way, not because I actually do like it, away it goes. 

The sunk fallacy is interesting in regards to cosmetics/beauty items, in that it's only sometimes a fallacy.

I have three eyebrow products that serve the same purpose. I should be reasonable and get rid of the one that fades quickly and the one that's not the right color. I'll never wear those two products again because I know they won't look as good as the third product that I love. 

I also have a bunch of shampoos/conditioners. I don't like the scent of several of them, but I'm still keeping them. The products work fine and the scent isn't bad, it's just not as good as other products. In this case, I think it actually would be wasteful to toss the products.

Agree/disagree? What do you consider worth saving? How do you decide to get rid of stuff?
If I know there is zero chance I am going to use a product which was in a gift with purchase or a beauty box, I set it aside unopened in pristine condition and donate it to a women's shelter.  I don't want something I really don't want it taking up precious space in my house - especially if someone else could enjoy it.

Something seems kind of odd and kind of wrong about even donating used makeup. If a makeup product I have used does not impress me for whatever reason - and it has had more than once chance - I get rid of it one way or another.  As for the brow product I think I'd toss the one that fades quickly and possibly give a close friend the one that is the wrong colour for you if it could be the right colour for her.  

If an item I have used is expired or close to expiry - I toss it.  The idea of getting an infection especially an eye infection from old makeup is just all kinds of ridiculous.  Hence why I think its best to replace liquid eyeliner and mascara every three months.

As for the shampoo/conditioner, I would use the old stuff just so long as it does the job whether or not I love the way it smells.  Then, I would start using my favourite shampoo/conditioner again.

Placed an Ulta order that was allowed according to my no-buy. I had to clarify the rules a bit, since I hadn't quite:

1) No makeup. If I think I need a replacement, see if I can get creative with what I have. This includes no makeup as gifts - I can give gifts from unopened things I have.

2) For skincare and haircare, I can replace things I run out of. Otherwise, I can only buy supplies to make my own.

3) Tools are more flexible. No makeup brushes, but hair/brow/skin tools are OK, especially if I need to replace something.

4) No subscriptions - I canceled all of them.

I needed to make it at least a *bit* flexible since I'm on this no-buy for three months! So I bought:

4 mini antibacterial hand sanitizers - I needed at least one in the camping supplies and they were buy 2 + get 2 free (and will keep for a long time)

3 hairbrushes and 2 combs - mine are awful and I've been desperately needing new ones

Eye makeup remover - I'm about to run out

Makeup remover wipes

Caddy for hair supplies that should help me stay better organized

Plus a GWP Mario Bedescu set. This doesn't fall within my no-buy but it was free, so I allowed it.

Now, here's my dilemma - I would love to get ULTAmate Platinum status, and if I spend $110 more before the year is up, I'll reach it! There's a hair tool I have my eye on that costs $100, so I'm going to see if it goes on sale before the end of the year and/or what else I run out of and need to replace. I won't be spending or breaking my no-buy JUST to reach Platinum as I know it'll only encourage me to spend more next year!

Edit: haven't decided my rule about nails. I'm thinking no polish, but other things are okay - I'm not sure on this one yet though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This feels ridiculous given how many lip glosses I have at the moment, but I would love to get my collection of glosses down to only 5 or 6. I've been cycling through and testing out a bunch of the ones I have in order to see what the colors are like/get a little closer to finish them and I realized that so many of them look different enough when they're in the tube but they're pretty much identical when they get on the lips. 

This feels ridiculous given how many lip glosses I have at the moment, but I would love to get my collection of glosses down to only 5 or 6. I've been cycling through and testing out a bunch of the ones I have in order to see what the colors are like/get a little closer to finish them and I realized that so many of them look different enough when they're in the tube but they're pretty much identical when they get on the lips.
Same here, every color unless it's a super pigmented one (more like a liquid lipstick) ends up looking the same on my lips. I had to stop buying full sized glosses and only have minis that come as part of a kit. Even those minis take forever to use up.

I want to read everyone's updates and comment, but at the moment I just have time for an update from me!

I've been very tempted by

the Sephora make a match codes
but I think I've overcome that because I know that

any holiday or black friday stuff will be much better and worth it
so I've successfully kicked booty on that temptation.

Also, today I was going to go to the state fair with some ladies from work to get lunch because parking and admission is free during the day, but then most of them bailed and then I decided I'd just eat leftovers, so YEAH!!!! Save that money!

I did mention that I'm doing the envelope method this month, and it's going well! No makeup purchases, plus, I did return an Item to sephora that I didn't need, so heck yeah!!! Also, any money leftover in my categories at the end of the month I'll put in a category called 'holidays'!! I'm so excited!!!

That's all for now! Keep fighting the good fight, everyone!!!!!!!!

I bought a replacement toner on sale. I'm not quite in need of a replacement but it is a daily item in my routine so I'm okay with this.

I need to join this. I bought my one thing at Sephora that was limited edition and had to have at Sephora yesterday. The other things don't come out until November. I am all stocked up on everything else and I have some boxes shipping in a couple of weeks with stuff that I am running out of. Korean Sheet Masks mainly. Its just hard wanting to get things now since everything needs to ship and not in my possession. I get tempted to go to the store and buy all the pretties in person since I am not used to buying online, I like the immediate satisfaction of buying in person. 

I need to remember that I have enough for now and I have more coming when they do run out. I also need to only get what I will actually use.

Back