October 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Yesterday was my 50th Birthday! I was going to skip getting myself a gift, but my Momma insisted since I have given others big 50 Birthday Blowouts. The good news is I had a budget of $50, but only spent $38.67.

Details will be in a different thread to avoid triggering.
We're almost twins! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll be 50 on 10/17. 

I joined Mint today (online spending calculator) and that's a huge eye-opener.. only wish I made an account earlier! It's great to see everything laid out right in front of your face. Definitely motivates me to continue to try and spend less.

One thing I used to say to myself at a stage in my life when I had to live lean was:  "It can't be a good deal if you can't really afford it."  I think its time to re-adopt this mantra any time I go near a retail establishment - including the grocery store.  

Okay, I am basically still going strong.  I have not purchased any cosmetics or bath products (though my Fortune Cookie Soap haul came in from last month... it just made me sad, I really don't need any of it I was just seduced by the pretties.)

I did spend some money on eating out today but it was for one of my good friends birthdays and there was sort of no real way around it... I could probably have eaten beforehand and just had water or something if I was really committed, but I'm not that committed, and it still wouldn't have saved me from needing to chip in toward her dinner... I kept it to under  $20 though and did not have any drinks or dessert even though I really wanted to, so I think I did pretty well overall. I'm not going to count this as falling off the wagon.

Can someone remind me how to put things in a spoiler? I have something to confess...

Last edited by a moderator:
I joined Mint today (online spending calculator) and that's a huge eye-opener.. only wish I made an account earlier! It's great to see everything laid out right in front of your face. Definitely motivates me to continue to try and spend less.
Ooh, I'm definitely going to look into that. It's not just unneeded makeup that I spend money on, my husband and I spend a lot of money on eating out as well and we don't really keep track of it. Something to definitely consider, now that our financial situation has gotten even tighter. I don't think we spend that much on these unnecessary things, but I'm probably way off base as far as amount goes.

Ooh, I'm definitely going to look into that. It's not just unneeded makeup that I spend money on, my husband and I spend a lot of money on eating out as well and we don't really keep track of it. Something to definitely consider, now that our financial situation has gotten even tighter. I don't think we spend that much on these unnecessary things, but I'm probably way off base as far as amount goes.
Speaking for myself I know I way underestimated how much I spent in some areas. It's easy to think $20-30 here and there isn't much but it easily ends up being hundreds of dollars if you're not careful. Hope it helps you! I know it's just what I needed.

Can someone remind me how to put things in a spoiler? I have something to confess...
I know there is a button you can push, but I always type [ spoiler ] content goes here [/ spoiler ] but remove the spaces. That works to put into a spoiler. 

Okay, I am basically still going strong.  I have not purchased any cosmetics or bath products (though my Fortune Cookie Soap haul came in from last month... it just made me sad, I really don't need any of it I was just seduced by the pretties.)

I did spend some money on eating out today but it was for one of my good friends birthdays and there was sort of no real way around it... I could probably have eaten beforehand and just had water or something if I was really committed, but I'm not that committed, and it still wouldn't have saved me from needing to chip in toward her dinner... I kept it to under  $20 though and did not have any drinks or dessert even though I really wanted to, so I think I did pretty well overall. I'm not going to count this as falling off the wagon.
Experiences with loved ones are the really valuable things in life that it's worth splurging a bit for, if you're able.  That's not a purchase you're likely to look back on and regret as a waste of your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so yesterday I temporarily turned my no buy into a low buy when I went to ulta and purchased....

The It cosmetics Holiday LE matte palette. I am curently obsessed with matte shadows and most of my collection is shimmer. I used $9 of ulta rewards and the $3.50 coupon so I paid just under $30 for it.

I don't feel guilty all. I know I will use the crap out of it. But NOW I am officially done with Holiday sets. I promised I wouldn't get more than 1 and now I have choosen 2. That is plenty!

II'm jonesing for holiday sets. I need to do an inventory to remind myself how just fine and not in need of anything I am. Bright side: have not bought anything and am really flying through empties. Keep me strong ladies!

I organized my vanity this morning which was very satisfying. Everything is easy to see and use now. I also realize I have no more room for more makeup or even samples so that should reinforce the low buy.

And I am not even tempted by any of the holiday sets!

wow. its basically been a month since i got my Give Me More Lip set and i have yet to open it.... I think after I work out tonight I'll stare at it again and reassess if I should return it or not. 

I also need to go through backpacks and purses to find all the tubes of lipstick that I feel are hiding from my collection. 

I'm trying to be good! I'm trying really hard! So far, no major make up slip ups - I did make a $20 Nars lip purchase from my favorite instagram seller but I might use it for a blog giveaway? Maybe? Every time I see a pretty blush I remind myself that I definitely do not need more, and I'm able to back away, but I need to exercise that restraint when it comes to lipsticks as well!

It has been about a week since I made my first post here.  I feel happy with my decision to carefully organize my cosmetics and putting goals in place for myself.  One of my favourite cosmetic brands has a gift with purchase which included another product I really wanted to try.  The limited edition blush/highlighter duo I was eyeballing for a few months now is still available so I decided to go ahead and splurge.  Now $42 of my three month budget of $100 budget is gone and all things considered I am ok with this decision.  I am starting to run low on my favourite face cleanser.  The last time I bought it, I bought two tubes and that was over a year ago.  Hopefully I can find it with a gift with purchase soon so I can get some face moisturizer too - just in time for Winter.

What I am struggling with the most right now is deciding to cancel one or more of my beauty subs and which beauty sub(s) I should cancel.  I really do enjoy getting Ipsy ($15USD), Lip Factory ($26USD), and Topbox ($12CAD).  Perhaps one thing to do is cancel beauty sub(s) when I go over my $100 budgeted spend every three months - keeping the beauty sub(s) is reward for keeping my spending on budget?  As silly as it might sound - beauty boxes are quite addicting and I am having trouble letting go.  Though the beauty boxes are part of the reason why I have an accumulation of stuff that needs to be used so its a double-edge sword.

When I see a holiday set - what I need to do is remind myself that I still have untouched products from last year's holiday sets.  That should curb any urges to buy things and reinforce that I need to focus on using what I already have.  Besides, why spend money on things that take up more space when you can use what you already have and free up space? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I spent $11. But that calmed it down a lot, so I'm not overly upset about it.

Wait nope I spent $20 on a sub box too. But I'm REALLY excited about that becasue I've never had a sub box, and I won't enable but it's not makeup so I'm only sort of half way counting it.

Even $31 wouldn't be a total fail.....as long as I stop now. Which I will.

I also have a giftcard to Target that I may use to pick up some stuff....but the funny thing is it's been sitting for 1.5 weeks and I haven't used it yet. I just feel like there's nothing I really need. With Black Friday and secret santa coming up, I feel like that should help keep the holidays somewhat in check as well! If I put stuff on my wishlist, that will keep me from buying it!

Latest posts

Back