October 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been mostly good, except that I broke down and preordered one of the Enchanted Polish monthlies yesterday and not all three on offer. If I don't like it, I can either use it in a gift swap or destash it (my justification for this, the aftermarket for EP is ridiculous). My goal this month is to purge some old stuff and I'm doing good with that, so far.

Help. I really wanna order the beauty bar baby's Halloween set from etsy, $21. But I know later this month, I want hello waffle's newest collection...need support....I did stop myself from ordering memebox earlier today!!

Help. I really wanna order the beauty bar baby's Halloween set from etsy, $21. But I know later this month, I want hello waffle's newest collection...need support....I did stop myself from ordering memebox earlier today!!
I'd say wait til later this month and ask yourself then which one item you want more. Kudos for skipping the Memebox, you can do it!

It has been about a week since I made my first post here.  I feel happy with my decision to carefully organize my cosmetics and putting goals in place for myself.  One of my favourite cosmetic brands has a gift with purchase which included another product I really wanted to try.  The limited edition blush/highlighter duo I was eyeballing for a few months now is still available so I decided to go ahead and splurge.  Now $42 of my three month budget of $100 budget is gone and all things considered I am ok with this decision.  I am starting to run low on my favourite face cleanser.  The last time I bought it, I bought two tubes and that was over a year ago.  Hopefully I can find it with a gift with purchase soon so I can get some face moisturizer too - just in time for Winter.

What I am struggling with the most right now is deciding to cancel one or more of my beauty subs and which beauty sub(s) I should cancel.  I really do enjoy getting Ipsy ($15USD), Lip Factory ($26USD), and Topbox ($12CAD).  Perhaps one thing to do is cancel beauty sub(s) when I go over my $100 budgeted spend every three months - keeping the beauty sub(s) is reward for keeping my spending on budget?  As silly as it might sound - beauty boxes are quite addicting and I am having trouble letting go.  Though the beauty boxes are part of the reason why I have an accumulation of stuff that needs to be used so its a double-edge sword.

When I see a holiday set - what I need to do is remind myself that I still have untouched products from last year's holiday sets.  That should curb any urges to buy things and reinforce that I need to focus on using what I already have.  Besides, why spend money on things that take up more space when you can use what you already have and free up space? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I find that once I drop a beauty sub, I don't really miss it the next month. I also remind myself that I can always sign up again in the future if I really miss it.

Yesterday I was at my sister's for dinner and I asked her if she had any lip liners I could have/borrow, since I'm on a no-buy and that's one thing I don't have at all. She gave me two lip liners, two lip primers, a plumper, and a liner/lipstick to keep, and another liner to borrow. As she went through her collection I remembered how extensive it is and that she's such a great resource anytime there's something I really want to experiment with - she probably has it and can teach me how to use it! (She's about to hit VIB Rouge with Sephora and wants to be a pro makeup artist, so she has a lot and knows a lot.) Anyway, I'm glad I asked and I can't wait to give her her birthday present this week. It won't be homemade skincare stuff after all, but some mineral makeup from my last couple of hauls that's similar enough to things I already have that I decided I don't need it and think she'll like it a lot.

I find that once I drop a beauty sub, I don't really miss it the next month. I also remind myself that I can always sign up again in the future if I really miss it.
I cancelled my Glossybox well over a year ago, and while I miss the boxes they use, I find myself not missing the product. Every so often I'll get a "please resub" email and I'll sit there tempted for a minute until I look at what's in the box and ask myself if I'll use it all. The answer is always "no", so I'll skip the resub offer.

Try canceling the subs until you use up a specified amount of samples. Then pick one to resub to if you're still missing the subs. Think of it as an incentive to go through your stash! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah I kinda wish I hadn't gotten a yearly Birchbox sub. I mean, I love it and feel I'm getting good value, but I've already got way more than I need and this is only the fourth month.

I agree. When Ipsy (back then it was myglam) first came out, I subscribed. I figured it was so cheap and it would curb my cosmetic craving. But I never got anything that I really liked and cancelled after 3 boxes. In fact I would be so unsatisfied that I would go out and buy something else. Talk about a fail! Since then I have not regretted my decision to cancel. I also tossed all the stuff I got in those boxes. It was pretty crappy in those early days.

I've also been good and have not purchased any makeup this month. I have steadily been working on my project pan items. The only "naughty" thing I did was poke a hole in my eyeshadow to see how far I was from the pan. Turns out I was farther away than I thought. But having that little silver light at the end of the tunnel showing has really motivated me. Again, it's the little things that make me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this topic has been really eye opening for me.  I feel so addicted to these subs and its nice to read that others feel the same way.  It is a lot of fun but I feel like I have been spending too much time and energy on this.  You all have motivated me to cut back.  I dropped a couple subs that I didn't really need (do I need any?) so my list is down to 6 now and I am trying to balance between beauty, fashion and lifestyle so its not all just makeup.  I definitely feel like I have been out of control these past few months and I need to tone it down, cut back and just enjoy what I already have.  Before I started subs, I wasn't even that into makeup (ha!) I would buy makeup every now and then and didn't even spend much effort on it.  My kids were babies and so I guess I didn't even have much time to fix myself up. Also, I think that being introduced to the higher end brands has been a lot of fun and has motivated me to want more.  I have enough now.  I am even going to drop Boxycharm (my favorite) after this month....I'll just sub up again when I am running low.

when I first started my low/no buy, it was really hard to pull the trigger on canceling subs.. like it literally took me 3 months to actually cancel the first one. I don't regret it at all now, and I haven't even cared to keep up with the spoilers etc for ipsy and bb, even though i really thought i would. i think all of the excitement was in receiving a package.. i'm still double checking to make sure i got all the products out of boxes/bags because i would literally open them and then just let them sit around because usually there wasn't anything i was excited about!

so one of my allowed purchases is sunscreen from paula's choice.. and there was a sale over the weekend for 30% off Clear products and free shipping.. and even though i had a cart worth $60 ready for check out (because of course i have to buy a full size clear kit - it's 30% off!).. i walked away. i remembered that i got an oil of olay sunscreen for oily skin from influenster as part of a prize, and that i should give it a try. i'm a little worried it'll still be greasy, but i could make that work in the winter.. and i won't know until i try! i know i can give it to my mom if it really doesn't work for me, but i'm hoping it does... 6oz could easily take me through to next year! 

I ordered from ulta last week and have decided to return...I ordered for points and a beauty deal, but with trying to destash and save...I'm returning.
Good for you! I'm proud! I hate how points and deals always lure me into shoping.

I organized my vanity this morning which was very satisfying. Everything is easy to see and use now. I also realize I have no more room for more makeup or even samples so that should reinforce the low buy.

And I am not even tempted by any of the holiday sets!
That's awesome! I did my vanity yesterday! It was satisfying for sure. I want to do even more and do a stash purge/clean out.

I'm honestly not that tempted by the holiday sets either... almost everything on my wishlist is permament stuff, not LE holiday stuff. Weird, since I was so looking forward to everything and even got lots of my wishes answered by the products.

Guess I'm just trying to be smart about what I buy.... to make sure I'll get use out of it and not just have it to have. Although, honestly, I'm still stuck on samples and stuff- it's like a game and collecting and hoarding all rolled into one. Not so good for my wallet or of use.

I am still doing the envelope method, and I'm doing pretty well, but a friend of mine had a jamberry nail party and I wanted to order some to support her- so I spent $40 there. For the same friend I placed an order on Sephora for her birthday present.... then kind of got carried away (see my spoiler for details.)

Because of that make a match game on sephora, I was really tempted to use the 150 point codes, so when I ordered her gift, I ordered some other stuff that I just plan on returning so I could get free shipping- bad, I know. I'm ashamed, but also not that ashamed. Feel free to yell at me about it. I used the 150 point code, and redeemed 200 points. Then I made another order because I'm disturbed, with the 150 point code, and items that I plan to return. How horrible is that? Like.... seriously, talk some sene into me. Tell me how bad that is, please. I don't want to do that.

Ok, I forgot about this until now, but I did that again... this time at Ulta for an UD event- there was a cute clutch with 3 samples with a $75 purchase and a makeover. I bought things just to get the gift, and I plan on returning them. I hid the little gwp at checkout so she wouldn't know, so that they can't say that I need to also retrun the gift. Can anyone slap me on the wrist? I need a talking to. This is bad.

Anyway, with the returns I'll make, I'll only be out of pocket for the gift I bought her, plus tax.

That'll be a total of $58 for October, if I count the jamberry wraps. I actually might sell some of those on Ebay because honestly, I'm not a fan of how they feel on my nails.

Anyway, I'm trying to go strong on my no-buy.

Good for you! I'm proud! I hate how points and deals always lure me into shoping.

That's awesome! I did my vanity yesterday! It was satisfying for sure. I want to do even more and do a stash purge/clean out.

I'm honestly not that tempted by the holiday sets either... almost everything on my wishlist is permament stuff, not LE holiday stuff. Weird, since I was so looking forward to everything and even got lots of my wishes answered by the products.

Guess I'm just trying to be smart about what I buy.... to make sure I'll get use out of it and not just have it to have. Although, honestly, I'm still stuck on samples and stuff- it's like a game and collecting and hoarding all rolled into one. Not so good for my wallet or of use.

I am still doing the envelope method, and I'm doing pretty well, but a friend of mine had a jamberry nail party and I wanted to order some to support her- so I spent $40 there. For the same friend I placed an order on Sephora for her birthday present.... then kind of got carried away (see my spoiler for details.)

Because of that make a match game on sephora, I was really tempted to use the 150 point codes, so when I ordered her gift, I ordered some other stuff that I just plan on returning so I could get free shipping- bad, I know. I'm ashamed, but also not that ashamed. Feel free to yell at me about it. I used the 150 point code, and redeemed 200 points. Then I made another order because I'm disturbed, with the 150 point code, and items that I plan to return. How horrible is that? Like.... seriously, talk some sene into me. Tell me how bad that is, please. I don't want to do that.

Ok, I forgot about this until now, but I did that again... this time at Ulta for an UD event- there was a cute clutch with 3 samples with a $75 purchase and a makeover. I bought things just to get the gift, and I plan on returning them. I hid the little gwp at checkout so she wouldn't know, so that they can't say that I need to also retrun the gift. Can anyone slap me on the wrist? I need a talking to. This is bad.

Anyway, with the returns I'll make, I'll only be out of pocket for the gift I bought her, plus tax.

That'll be a total of $58 for October, if I count the jamberry wraps. I actually might sell some of those on Ebay because honestly, I'm not a fan of how they feel on my nails.

Anyway, I'm trying to go strong on my no-buy.
hey there! before you continue reading this, please know that i'm talking in a friendly tone. it's hard reading 'tone' sometimes, you know?

so yeah... personally, i would feel bad for buying stuff that i'm planning on returning. simply put, it's wasteful. it's the society's output that is now gonna be unused and wasted. also, i think it would be more helpful for you to stop actually buying stuff. i think (for me, at least), it's more than the money that i'm wasting but also the time and energy that i'm putting into shopping that needs to be stopped. also, just the habit (or vice, as how i call it for me) of buying stuff that needs to be stopped. i also think that if you have stuff to return, it would always be in your mind (shopping, sephora, etc), and won't help with stopping the vice. personally, i find that 'missing out' on some 'good deals' work towards my no/low buy. the other 'good deals' that follow will seem trivial since you 'missed out' on a previous deal, but is still fine and not any less happy. (does that make sense? it's hard for me to explain in typing)

also, just think about the time that you spend (waste) returning the stuff. that's your asset! 

that's all. i'm just trying to help. please don't get mad at me or something.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I need support lol.

I purchased 2 memeboxes last month.

I'm at a point where I know I should cancel them.  It makes financial sense, and it makes practical sense- I don't think I'm really going to enjoy what's in them, and I got them mostly to use a coupon code.

Can someone please just tell me to cancel them already? It's so hard to let go.

I need support lol.

I purchased 2 memeboxes last month.

I'm at a point where I know I should cancel them.  It makes financial sense, and it makes practical sense- I don't think I'm really going to enjoy what's in them, and I got them mostly to use a coupon code.

Can someone please just tell me to cancel them already? It's so hard to let go.
Cancel them stat! If you're not going to enjoy them, then you're probably going to be happier saving the money.

Cancel them stat! If you're not going to enjoy them, then you're probably going to be happier saving the money.
I second that! Cxl it! You'll feel great in the long run.

I've heard others say this before but try tracking the money you save by not buying stuff you are lusting after. I'm going to start doing that too. Just today I have already saved $155! Lol!

hey there! before you continue reading this, please know that i'm talking in a friendly tone. it's hard reading 'tone' sometimes, you know?

so yeah... personally, i would feel bad for buying stuff that i'm planning on returning. simply put, it's wasteful. it's the society's output that is now gonna be unused and wasted. also, i think it would be more helpful for you to stop actually buying stuff. i think (for me, at least), it's more than the money that i'm wasting but also the time and energy that i'm putting into shopping that needs to be stopped. also, just the habit (or vice, as how i call it for me) of buying stuff that needs to be stopped. i also think that if you have stuff to return, it would always be in your mind (shopping, sephora, etc), and won't help with stopping the vice. personally, i find that 'missing out' on some 'good deals' work towards my no/low buy. the other 'good deals' that follow will seem trivial since you 'missed out' on a previous deal, but is still fine and not any less happy. (does that make sense? it's hard for me to explain in typing)

also, just think about the time that you spend (waste) returning the stuff. that's your asset! 

that's all. i'm just trying to help. please don't get mad at me or something.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thank you! You are making total sense- maybe the best helpful comment I've read here in the no buy section. It's time, that's my asset, not just money. I'm totally not mad, I'm so glad you commented. You let me down gently but also firmly. I really, truly apprecitate it. I won't be doing this again, and perhaps instead of returning, I'll just resale on Ebay. This won't be happening again. Thank you, thank you! You are the voice of reason.

And I see after your post someone else reached out. I am really digging this fact that each of us can help each other. Sometimes you know that practically it isn't worth it, but yes, it is hard to let go, like @@tulosai said. You all are so helpful, thank you for being there!

This community is great!

Thank you! You are making total sense- maybe the best helpful comment I've read here in the no buy section. It's time, that's my asset, not just money. I'm totally not mad, I'm so glad you commented. You let me down gently but also firmly. I really, truly apprecitate it. I won't be doing this again, and perhaps instead of returning, I'll just resale on Ebay. This won't be happening again. Thank you, thank you! You are the voice of reason.

And I see after your post someone else reached out. I am really digging this fact that each of us can help each other. Sometimes you know that practically it isn't worth it, but yes, it is hard to let go, like @@tulosai said. You all are so helpful, thank you for being there!

This community is great!
you're sweet! and i'm glad that helped :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i think you it would be fine to return the stuff you were planning on returning, and then move on. so no time that is further wasted trying to resell the stuff. just be mindful of future purchases is my advice  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

edit: i'm assuming reselling would take more time and effort than returning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second that! Cxl it! You'll feel great in the long run.

I've heard others say this before but try tracking the money you save by not buying stuff you are lusting after. I'm going to start doing that too. Just today I have already saved $155! Lol!
 Great idea!  I am going to try that too.  When you see how much it all adds up to, it will be motivating.

This community is great!
I'm finding it easier to learn to limit myself, be good, etc. knowing that I'm not alone in the types of purchases I make, the same buyer's remorse, the guilt afterwards, etc. For me, that's comforting while I'm working on spending less and becoming a much more responsible spender.

I think you're okay in returning the items this time, no point in stressing over reselling over ebay, but it's helpful to remember for the future the hassle with returning items (and the self driven guilt - this gets me every time and I hate it.)

Latest posts

Back