Official Movie Review Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to see: NORBIT

I rate it 2.5 stars out of 5!

This is the Eddie Murphy movie where he plays the role of several different characters. There are a few funny parts, but I didn't find it hilarious by any means. I honestly felt like I wasted $16 and a date night on this movie and would have rather rented it on DVD in a few months.

Don't get me wrong - if you like Eddie Murphy, then go see this. But it is just the typical movie (think Dr. Dolittle, Nutty Professor, Big Momma's House, etc.) where the lead actor plays multiple parts. It was ho-hum and I wasn't impressed.

I also noticed several small children in the theater and I personally found the language too offensive to bring kids along...that is completely my opinion however! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Review for Hannibal Rising:

I went to see this movie with a few of my friends last week.

WHAT A WASTE.

All right, Gaspard Ulliel is VERY cute and I could just eat him up, but he simply does not compare either with Anthony Hopkins' portrayal, or the (best ever) adaptation of a Thomas Harris novel, Michael Mann's Manhunter with Brian Cox in the Dr. Lecter role.

He was hampered by the weak, undercooked scenario; it ended up more like a rejected idea for a Charles Bronson vigilante flick, with more gore and some cannibalism thrown in.

The dialogue was weak and hammy, and sometimes the story didn't seem to be fully aware of what direction to take.

The nail in the coffin of a once promising yet steadily declining franchise, and a SHAMEFUL waste of a good actor (Gaspard Ulliel was VERY good in A Very Long Engagement, with Audrey Tautou). If any new Dr. Lecter movies ever come out, I will NOT be wasting my money on them.

Overall rating: 1/5 (for Ulliel :rotfl: )

Babel

3/5

Rented it.

Um, interesting plot lines. I pretty muched figured how all 4 stories meshed into each other. I don't really understand the whole deal with the Japanese girl tho. Sad, but meh. My favorite story was the one with the Mexican caretaker.

Overall, boring in a way. Felt like no real resolution went on - and like, they were trying to send out a message... but I felt confused as to what it could be. It tried to go along with Crash - with Crash you understood it was about race from the get-go. With Babel... I just don't know.

Went to see: Ratatouille

Wow, what can I say....I had super high expectations being a big Pixar fan, and was worried I'd be disappointed. Instead I got one of the best "animated" film going experiences I've ever had. If you like SHREK, this is for you. This movie was well written, surprising insightful and truly funny from beginning to end with the whole audience gasping and laughing together. Watching this movie is watching a new era of animation come of age. Pixar has always valued good filmmaking in every one of their movies. The animation was outstanding and the story line was excellent. Good balance between the beauty of Paris and the action at the restaurant. The love story was a plus and the characters were all easy to like. An A+ animation movie! Worth seeing.

I'll go ahead and rate it a "Must See"

Ditto! I had really high expectations for this movie and was extremely disappointed in it. I wouldnt even reccommend it, honestly.

:sleepyhead:

Went to See: Transformers

transformersposter7.jpg

Wow, double WOW and TRIPLE WOW!! If you like action movies with high-end CGI then this is your movie. GO TO SEE THIS MOVIE! If you are a techie or someone who just like "on your edge" type movie, then GO! Remember how you felt as you walked out of the theater the first time after you watched "Independence Day"? The entire theater was clapping and cheering, it was so COOL! Could be one of the best adaption of a comic book or cartoon ever made, special effects are best that anyone has ever seen! Awesome FLICK!! We'll be going back to TWICE and will likely see it a few more times before it's theater run is over. You don't have to have _ever_ seen any of the cartoons to understand the plot. It's a nice touch that they had the original voice character from the TV series as Optimus Prime ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">. The characters are easy to love and hate with their own distinct personalities that really show well on the big screen. Great effects and the "autobots" themselves are purely STUNNING!!! Explosions, robots, car chases, explosions, guns, robots, lots of humor, robots and some explosions.

Micheal Bay brings emotion and humor to bring the movie beyond the stereotypical big budget explosive action flick. The supporting cast as well fill in the gaps to what really makes the movie shine: the Robots. Yes the robots are fantastic. The effects for the robots alone make this an Oscar movie. Each robot has its own "personality" of sorts and appeal to both the fan boys and new comers alike. Bumblebee will be a favorite of the kids and having Peter Cullen adding voice work for Optimus Prime is icing on the cake. A must see movie.

T-CF410.jpg

a3.jpg

T-EB480.jpg

T-14446EDIT.jpg

a1.jpg

T-CF165.jpg

Woop. Might see that this weekend, Tony.

Ah - this thread really needs to get going.

I think a star system should be imployed tho. Some official rating.

1=worst 5=must see

Start posting in here more, people!!

I saw the Transformers last night. I gotta give it 4/5 stars. It lacked a storyline and the acting wasn't above par...the CGI effects definitely make up for it. There was a few funny scenes here and there that made me chuckle. I remember watching the cartoon movie back in 87...I was 4 yrs old. Hehe. There were a few minor differences. Bumblebee was a camaro in this movie. In the cartoon he was a VW beetle. They don't have Arcee or Hot Rod which was my fav characters in the cartoon movie. What about Grimlock?! lol, sorry I'm such an 80's nerd... :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anywho, whether u were a fan of the transformers or not you'll be amazed by the movie. Autobots, transform and roll out! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i saw it lastnight, we downloaded it ans omg wat an awsome movie!!! i loved it and im gonna buy it when it comes on dvd!!! u ppl have to see it, it is also very funny in parts

Thanx for the reviews T. Transformers and Ratatouille are on my to see list , but i realli wanted to hear some reviews first b4 i end up disappointing myself. Now i can't wait to go .. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I definitely want to see Transformers!!!

I saw Live Free or Die Hard the other day. I really liked it (and everyone else in the theatre seemed to as well). I haven't seen any of the previous Die Hard movies in full, but I was still able to understand everything that was going on (which is nice). Lots of action (of course). I would recommend it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Transformer -4/5

The main characters where great. Had good funny moments along the film. The graphics are just insane. The plot was interesting but what lost me for a bit is this whole S7 thing and gov't officials were so cheesy and unrealistic.

They had really funny cameos in the film.

I so want that thing on the rearview mirror that says "Bee Yotch". Haha.

can someone, if you've seen it please review the Hills Have Eyes 2. I haven't seen it, but I don't know if its even worth it. I heard it wasn't that decent.

1408 - 2/5

It would've been higher but I had two older ladies sitting behind me acting childish and kept talking throughout the whole thing or laughing! WTF. I finally 'shhhushed' her towards the end - was gonna do it earlier but my friend stopped me from it. Haha.

ANYWAY - it was an okay film. At first you're on suspense and jump at anything in the beginning. But towards half-way it stopped being scary. The plot was decent... few days later my friend explained to me the meaning of the movie and it made sense. But it took time to understand and I was like, MEH. I've seen scarier films and this wasn't one - it's more of a... I dunno, not one I'd want to see again. But a lot of people enjoyed it. It's just not my type of flick.

I prefer Transformer. Haha.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - 4/5

I believe some people will be offended by this flick with all their jokes related about stereotypes and such. But if you don't let jokes get to the heart, because it's an Adam Sandler flick of course, then you'll love it.

I laughed for most of the part and have this whole fascination with Nick Swardson again. I've always love him. He plays Jessica Biel's brother in the film. And Rob Shneider's character is the best.

The ending was like, huh? Hookay. But pretty much a good summer flick to watch when bored and not take it seriously.

Hot Rod - 2/5

Er, I've seen this type of humor and comedy before. I laughed at parts simply because it was like, "wtf?" type of moments. Haha. A mix between Napoleon Dynamite and any recent teen comedy.

Rent it when bored... really bored.

Die Hard 4 - being a fan of Bruce Willis and particularly the Die Hard trilogy (well until now:D), i just LOVE that movie. lots of action, and the famous sentence yipikkai motherfu***r!

rented The Covenant(2006), really good.

it's kinda hard to find good movies about witches and such, but this one has really surprised me. it talks about 4 young men, teenagers, descendants of witches from the old colony of Ipswich, Massachusetts. well, first they're humans with flaws, not superheroes. the power is also a dangerous thing to use, as we learn in the movie. the girls are of course cute, but also have a brain. in that kind of movie i noticed that's rare enough to be said.

the set is also beautiful, adding to the atmospheric ambience. it's not a horror movie, but one scene in particular will give you some chills.

the music is also worth your attention, and re-watching it another time, i found the opening title "More Human than Human" by White Zombie particularly well chosen and catching.

a last point i appreciated : the movie takes its time to tell a story, you know, just not throw in "okay, there's guys with powers who have to fight a bad one. thanks girls for passing by".

Back