Official Movie Review Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, this thead needs more reviews.

Okay - I'm going by memory here.

Fred Clause

I figured - Vince Vaughn - funny movie. It was OK, my little sister liked it and it had an interesting plot, different from other holiday films. I'm just not into but it's still a cute movie.

3.5/5

Dan In Real Life

Didn't know what the plot going into this was but it's really good. Romantic-comedy that's not so mushy. I laughed at Steve and Dan - the cast was great. My younger sister found it boring but she's a mess so her opinions mean nothing. Haha. I'd really recommend this film if you're into that romantic/comedy stuff...

4.5/5

30 Days of Night

Vampire movie - if you're into horror movies, not a bad flick. The ending was ahem but overall an okay flick. I liked it for the most part and Josh Harnett is cute and I never saw him as that before :S

3.5/5

A Night In The Museums

I heart Ben Stiller. Great family flick and neat plot... Ben is just hilarious in it.

4.5/5

Georgia Rule

Damn... lemme just say, this movie - I DID NOT expect the type of plot that would come out of it. I liked it tho. Lindsay Lohan is pretty convincing in it and the movie was interesting but shocking. I was left with a "wtf kinda chick movie is this?" feeling. Haha.

4/5

Captivity

Not a movie I would rent personally, but it wasnt my house/money so I had no choice to watch this garbage. First off, the acting is horrible - and it's a rip-off from SAW. Seriously, it just reminded me of Saw but with wack ass acting. Blah. It wasn't brutal to watch but chea...

2/5

28 Weeks Later -

Sequel to 28 days later. Personally, I love zombie movies more than any other type of horror flicks. And for a sequel, I believe this delivered - interesting concept but a lot of, "why would you do that?" moments. Seriously, I got frustrated cuz they wouldnt listen to me through the TV screen. LOL. Watch this when you're bored and wanting a bit of gore...

3/5

This Is England -

About a boy who gets picked on when suddenly he befriends some skinheads.

Honestly, I was lost in what was said because I dunno much about English history...so it kinda got bleh for awhile. The actors are really good in this and ending made me cry tho. So perhaps this movie will make better sense and be more enjoyable to the older crowds or those into political, drama type of films.

3/5

I AM Legend- I really liked it, I only think the movie could've been a bit longer, perhaps gone into "life after apocalype" more, but definetly a go see movie. I like Will Smith:)

BUG- A sleeper movie you've probably never heard of. Go rent it! It's an adaptation of a Broadway play, it will blow your mind, so many twists and turns, really a good movie.

I've been to see a couple movies recently. I'm going to see Alvin and the Chipmunks tonight.

I Am Legend

Pretty much every movie I have seen starring Will Smith in the last few years has been simply awesome. So I was really excited to see this movie. I was not disappointed! I really enjoyed it. I liked the straightforward story and Will Smith was superb. The pacing was excellent, and the tension was built very well. It fell apart at the end, though. The problem was ending Neville's solitary existence, and that the infected just weren't scary enough. I think part of that was how homogeneous they were. Also, I really wasn't that happy with the "happy" ending of the movie. I've heard that the book ends differently, so I'm curious to read it now!

The Golden Compass

It was alright I suppose. I felt like it could have had better pacing. There was so much to the movie (because there's so much to books) and to fit it all in the scenes had to be shorter, I suppose. Actually, I felt like almost every scene was similar in length, and each moment just flies by. I also felt like there was an assumption of knowledge going on. Things weren't explained very well. It was like they were trying to imply so much, but it was hard to pick up on every little detail without anything backing it up.

The movie seemed kind of superficial.

Still, made me want to check out the books and it's not like it wasn't good. It was.

I Am Legend

For some reason, I felt like I never seen this movie - but I did, last week. Haha.

It was a good flick. I jumped at times and you're there just cowering expecting for something and when it didn't - you calmed down but then BAM! Ugh, hate those lol. Anyways, the plot was good but the thing that bugged me was they wouldn't say how everything occured and why things are the way they are until mid-way/ending. I know some films go on that plot, but this one just dragged on that. Will Smith is always great in these heroic flicks... and man, you felt his pain. To me, the ending wasn't as predictable until just right before it happen... you have a feeling of how things will turn but then it goes another way. The film was a trip tho - it felt like it could happen, somehow. Haha. I dunno. I'd recommend anyone to watch it.

4/5

American Gangster

You can't go wrong with a Denzel Washington flick. True story based about Frank Lucas, a drug smuggle from the 1960s who rose to riches deporting heroin without a "middleman". All awhile Russle Crow's character, a detective, is conflicted with the fact that the real bad guys are the ones he works with... I really loved the ending, I mean, the actual last scene. Didn't say nothing but said a lot at the same time. Must see - but it is a very long film... 3 hours.

5/5

I've been watching buttloads of free movies online for the past week... here goes:

Super Bad

3 outsider-teens trying to get laid, boozed up and everything else before graduating.

I loved this film! Usually, I'm not into nerdy humor but this really wasn't it. If you're a fan of the American Pie series - then you'll love this film because it pretty much takes the same type of plot and crude humor. I absolutely love Michael Cera in this.

5/5

Wristcutters : A Love Story

Indie film which I think is more better than Juno (who tried too hard to be comical/quirky) and the plot was really interesting. About an "afterlife" of folks who committed suicide or as they say, "off them self" and whether or not suicide was the way to go. Quirky, romantic-comedy with a twist. I really love the Russian dude here... cracked me up.

5/5

The Golden Compass

Now, is this that athiest movie? I believe so but the plot is so freaking weird at first. I mean, the thought of your soul being outside of your body (as to think our soul is possessed within) is pretty interesting but I was lost in some parts, okay maybe all. And the ending was the biggest bull - not to spoil it but you'll see what I mean. I thought it'd be like the Chronically of Narnia or something but pfft.

2/5

The Bucket List

Old guys completing their "to-do" list before dying. It's an good movie but very forgettable - nothing amazing about it. Predictable - something to watch when bored.

3.5/5

Spiderman 3

Took me a while to watch this. Was a good ending to the trilogy - kinda long and dragged a bit, but it didn't left me with a "I waited this long for THIS type of ending" feeling like I do with most sequels/trilogies.

4/5

P.S. I Love You

For them ladies out there, this movie will want you to marry an Irish dude - well, I know I did. Gerald Butler is hot and is great in his short appearance. The movie is cute and sad but not the greatest chick-flick I've come across with... but it is still enjoyable.

3.5/5

27 Dresses

Me and my best friend waited hella long for this movie to come out. Really cute and girly, I liked it a lot. Good performances and interesting twist...

4/5

Balls Of Fury

This was so lame - only thing I liked was Christopher Walken. But it really was a dud. Skip.

1/5

Bridge To Terebithia

Omg, I really thought this film was like Narnia (I swear, I compare these films to that flick) but zzzzz. It was a cute film for the kids but kinda boring and sad at the end.

2.5/5

Children Of Men

What an interesting flick. About our world where no more children exist, as in, no one can have kids again and how that in turn could affect our society for the worst.

4.5/5

Cloverfield

I just saw the cam version so it wasn't as good as in the theater. Um, it's like Godzilla. Haha. And the dude from Lost helped make it so of course it was confusing. Not until I checked with IDMB (like I do with all confusing flicks) did I realize there was a back story, which was pretty dumb because in order to understand fully about the film - you had to follow the online "news" reports and other clips and who the hell really does that? Wasn't a bad flick but a dumb move on not explaining what the hell is going on...

3/5

Joshua

A smart kid who starts doing bad things to his parent. Or does he? Suspenseful thriller and well acted by all. It pretty much takes the imagination (and IDMB boards) to start thinking about what's going on and who did what or what's going on.

3/5

Feel The Noise

Troublemaker kid moves to Puerto Rico to get away from his current problems and reunites with his dad. All while trying to make it into the music business and it all is really dumb, dumb, dumb plot. I thought it was a freaking dance movie. Haha. I wouldn't waste time on this movie...

1/5

Resident Evil: Extinction

I LOVE zombie movies and I really like the RE series... this flick was cool. Action, gore - muah ha love it.

4/5

I think that's it... seems like I watch a lot, haha. But I watch flicks like once a month and now I'm just catching up on watching them all.

wow, you've watched quite a lot of movies !

about the golden compass, apparently the book is better than the movie, but honestly i never read it nor am i interested in its reading.

i've watched Sweeney Todd (which has hit France since last week). i'm a fan of Tim Burton so of course i like the movie. i really love the atmosphere, it's creeeeepyyyy. yay for the makeup and clothes. the story itself is a bloody vengeance. once upon a time there was a barber with his beautiful wife and baby, but alas the bad judge (very close to what judges were at that time btw) put him into jail so he could get his wife. that scene reminded of another in Sleepy Hollow, with Icabod's mother.

Gracie

Movie Review

(I'm copying this since I'm too lazy to type it up)

Carly Schroeder plays the title role in the film Gracie.

Elisabeth Shue stars in a story based on her family's real-life experiences of loss, soccer and redemption. Check out our review of Gracie!

Gracie - Beck It Like Gracie

Gracie (Carly Schroeder) is devastated when her oldest brother, the star soccer player in a family of soccer nuts, is killed in a car accident. In fact, the whole family is thrown into an absolute tailspin. Gracie struggles to overcome her grief by attempting to take her bro's place on the boy's soccer team. But the team - and her former-soccer star dad - don't think a girl could ever be good enough to play with them.

Gracie - Girl Power

Gracie's ambitions start causing trouble on the home front. Her mom (Elisabeth Shue) worries her daughter will get hurt, and her dad tells her she's not good enough to play with the boys. Without her family's support, Gracie begins acting out, and her father finally changes his mind about her joining the boy's team in the hopes that the sport will give her a positive focus. Gracie starts becoming a stronger soccer player, and her dad begins to find the strength to heal from their tragic past.

Gracie - Bottom Line

Gracie is a feel-good story that reminds us how far you can get with a little determination and the support of a loving family. It can be pretty heavy on the clichés at times and often feels too much like a TV movie of the week, but its girl-power message and heart-warming conclusion!!!

We liked it, it was a "Feel good" movie!

Would recommend

JUNO (2007)

This movie is absolutely adorable. The dialogue is GENIUS! Ellen Page and Micheal Cena are amazing together, seriously. This movie was so cute and I was laughing during the whole thing. Basically, a 16 year old girl named Juno McGuff has sex with her best friend, Paulie Bleeker. She finds out she is pregnant and is left with the choice to give it up for adoption or to keep it. She meets a family who she feels is worthy of adopting her baby. She befriends the husband who will be adopting it, as they share a love for the same music and movies. Overall, this movie is so well scripted and funny. The end is so sad but this movie is really worth seeing!

9/10

The couple who are adopting Juno's baby split up because the husband chooses to persue a music career and travel rather than raise a family. This leaves the wife to raise the baby alone, but she doesn't care because she is so happy to finally have a child of her own.

I forgot I saw these too

Juno

This movie is good - but not the best. I found the first part of the movie until she goes to the Clinic to be an absolute pain to watch. That hipster dialog was so annoying - the outsiders trying hard to be cool with their lingos, "what the blog?" ... wtf? After that, I liked it. Some bits are confusing and misleading (Juno and the husband's friendship seemed awkward) and the fact that giving up the baby didn't seem like the biggest deal to Juno and her family was unsettling to me. The step-mother is the only one who made me laugh throughout the film and Michael Cera is always great playing that quirky kid.

Would recommend.

3.5/5

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Will Ferrel has truly picked a lot of crappy films since his SNL days but this one had me laughing for some reason. It's just really crude, random, dumb jokes but he had me going. Sasha Cohen was great in this too [Pepe Le B*tch] and the plot was just so dumb it was genius.

Would recommend.

3.5/5

Mr. Woodcock

Funny film about a guy who was tormented by his childhood PE teacher who now is dating his mother and trying to convince her to dump him. It had me entertained but forgettable film. All actors were great in it and Billy Bob is so good at playing an A-hole, haha. He has you convinced that's how he is in person.

Would recommend if bored.

3/5

Just watched Juno yesterday.I like the girl (allen page) as Juno, her acting is soo natural.This is the 2nd movie of hers that ive wacthed, before this was Hard Candy.Jennifer Garner looks soooo mommish and adorable,gosh ive never known that she is actually this gorgeous!!Michael Cera omg, soooo cutee and love his previous movie Superbad as well.

I just saw Juno as well. My mom and I went. I saw so many positive reviews on the net, I am starting to think maybe I am weird b/c I didnt like it. Ellen Page's character Juno was so unlikeable and mean I think thats why I didnt care about her. The dialogue was stupid, no one talks like these kids. The only real person in the movie was Jennifer Garner. Juno's parents acted like she told them she farted instead of told them she was pregnant, lol. It wasnt funny either, I laughed once. It wasnt terrible, maybe I was just expecting too much

I am legend, double disc DVD with controversial alternate ending

The movie overall was great, I personally am not a fan of movies with that type of style and direction: the flashbacks and such. If I had to chose an ending, I would have chose the original ending. I do not see the alternate ending as being controversial, just typical for a movie.

Stargate. - the Ark of Truth (2008)

Well after having a hard time finding this DVD released feature length movie (ended up at Walmart - $19.96) we sat down last night and watch it.. Its basically the final finalle of the Stargate SG-1 TV show which ran for 10 years on the Sci-Fi channel..

If you watch the movie with the prelude (second option) it will catch you up on everything in season 10.5 so that the movie makes sense.. And if you like Stargate SG-1 you will like this too.. About 100 minutes long and lots of action.. Though a couple parts were confusing... Without giving anything away.......... Like why is Teal'c running and running and running??? And the introduction of an old adversary seemed out of place and basically a time filler... I guess the writers think unless you have multiple enemys trying to kill you at the same time then it isn't exciting? Lol

Was dissapointed that Richard Dean Anderson wasn't in this one (Jack Oneil)... McGiver in space but his type of sarcastic humor made the show for me.. The next SG-1 movie is due out in August 08, "Continuum" sounds like a regular old episode where they are kicking the bad guys ass's out in the universe somewhere..

Overall I loved it but then again I love everything Stargate....

i saw Horton hears a Who... and i have watched it about 3 time already i love it.. but its kind of confusing for little kids.. its for "BIG" little kids .... Adults..... lol.. its not as child like as i thought it would be.. but its stilll great

Baby Mama

I like Tina Fey's comedic performance and loved Mean Girls so I had high expectations for this flick. Expectations weren't really met. Amy is always hilarious and all the laughs came from her scenes but the movie dragged on and the plot kinda got ridiculous... eventually it became predictable. I left feeling kinda jipped. Steve Martin is oddly funny here! I would just laugh looking at him...

3.5/5

Back