"Pale is the New Tan"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by _Dreamer_ i just naturally tan, not on purpose
tongue.gif
i used to have a problem with it because i lived in china and lots of girls were tryin to be paler/were paler

hehe, it's funny how we always want the look we cant have
wink.gif
in Poland, where most girls are pale, tanning beds are very popular. My sister in law who came from India said she always wanted to have lighter skin and many girls there are using bleaching creams... Arualav - I love your new avatar! you are sporting the pale look
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by vanilla_sky hehe, it's funny how we always want the look we cant have
wink.gif
in Poland, where most girls are pale, tanning beds are very popular. My sister in law who came from India said she always wanted to have lighter skin and many girls there are using bleaching creams...
yea it's unfortunate
tongue.gif
, but now i am embracing my own skin =] so that wont be me trying to bleach myself!

Originally Posted by vanilla_sky hehe, it's funny how we always want the look we cant have
wink.gif
in Poland, where most girls are pale, tanning beds are very popular. My sister in law who came from India said she always wanted to have lighter skin and many girls there are using bleaching creams... Arualav - I love your new avatar! you are sporting the pale look
rockwoot.gif

yeah it's messed up. Im Indian and i guess i'm pretty light for my realatively dark skinned family (I'm NW25 in the summer) and my grandparents always treated me better than my darker skinned female cousins. I can't say I blame them for getting into bleaching when there is such blatant discrimination.
Also, when my brunette MMM/GGG friend went to Finland for school she said that she was getting ridiculous amounts of attention from hot guys and it seemed to her that it was because she was in a sea of blonde pale skinned women and she was 'special', lol.

I'm quite pale. But back when I played softball, I would get a little tan and I LOVED it. I really want to be tan, so I'm considering going to tanning salons again. I know the risks, and I'm not gonna overdo it. I just want a little color LoL. My legs are like dayglo white. Also, tans make you look slimmer. I'm all for looking slimmer LoL

I have very pale skin, must be the welsh in me. Back when I had clear skin I got complemented on it a lot, people said I looked like a china doll... but I've been breaking out a lot lately - No skin colour to looks nice with oil blotchy pimply skin, but it just seems to contrast against my pale skin more and stand out.

I agree with Leony! you should love your color whatever it may be. Just stand up and show yourself with full confidence

I'm very pale! And I would love to be darker BUT I know the risks of exposing my skin to the sun and I'll never do that, same goes with tanning beds!

Tried the self-tanning creams but it's too much hassle so I guess I dont want it THAT bad..
smile.gif

Maybe I am paranoid and what not, but with so much evidence regarding the thinning of the ozone layer, I think it's probably safe to say that the sun's UV rays are probably more intense then ever before. Personally, I think that at this rate, skin cancer will be the new breast cancer in a matter of years.

Also, I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently, some people who tan frequently are addicted to it, probably to the way the light effects your mood and what not. There was a teacher in my high school who had a tanning bed in her house!

Everytime I go through the sunscreen routine, I think "Just watch, I'll be the one who wrnkles pre-maturely and gets skin cancer. But then I remind myself that if that does happen to me, then remember how much worse it would have been if I hadn't taken precautions.

I use to tan all the time when i was growing up. the sun is good for you (the vitamin d). but too much of it isn't. it also makes me feel good when i'm out in the sun. i don't lay out anymore nor do i use the tanning bed b/c it's even worse for you than the sun. but sometimes i'll go out just to relax for a little bit or play with my sons. i think people look better with a little color. but you can over do it.

Quote:
Arualav - I love your new avatar! you are sporting the pale look Thanks! I embrace the paleness of my skin. Tehn again, I have a love of the 40's and 50's. lol.

Originally Posted by Arualav Also, I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently, some people who tan frequently are addicted to it, probably to the way the light effects your mood and what not. There was a teacher in my high school who had a tanning bed in her house!
Yes there are definitely people that become addicted to tanning it's a type of body dysmorphic disorder.

Originally Posted by Arualav Thanks! I embrace the paleness of my skin. Tehn again, I have a love of the 40's and 50's. lol. You are a beautiful woman! Embrace it baby! I have a love of the late 60's and 70's check out some of those tans. LOL
I remember my dear Great Grandmother wouldn't be caught dead with a tan. She was old school and back in her day having a tan meant that you worked manual labor.

Im pretty fair & I dont mind I can tan if I really want but chose not to. I dont think tans look bad if its not over done.

I hate the term healthy glow because im no more unhealthy or sickley than the tan people walking around. Its a shame that society decided for us what looks good & what doesnt.

I have a friend that absolutely has to tan every chance she can get I cant help but wonder if she will regret it later. I know im going to get older/look older but I dont have to speed it up.

I used to work in a tanning salon & I had a few women that would come in 2 times a day & would want the turbo beds which is the equivalent to 8 hrs in the sun = 16hrs everyday
wtf.gif

Well I'm half scottish half irish, and having lived in scotland my whole life, I'm your perfect example of a 'Celtic' complexion, lol, in otherwords, pasty as hell lol.

it used to really bother me but I'm getting more comfortable with it, I occasionally use a LIGHT coating of fake bake on my body, not to neccesarily tan me, but to just take the pasty-blue tones out my skin, but I'd never use beds, to be honest I don't even know if I'd tan properly.

Fashion wise, I think its more 'in' to be pale than before, beause of pale actresses like Rachel Mcadams etc, whereas a couple of years back it was really popular to be tanned, people like Christina Aguilera seem to be opting for a paler look now, but I think everyone suits their own colouring and they should be happy with it
rockwoot.gif

I dont mind being pale. I actually dont care for the tanned look. I dont like to be outside in the sun, b/c I hate to be hot although thats kind of hard to avoid living in Florida

I'm dying with the heat and sun this summer in Alberta.. I can't even imagine being in Florida or California.

I've always heard tanning beds were dangerous, but when I was in high school I didn't think there was anything wrong with laying out in the sun as long as you didn't get burnt. So I tanned some outdoors in the summer -- even though I am super pale (the first person my Prescriptives SA had seen who was too pale for their Virtual Matte foundation!) and I have pink undertones similar to a redhead, I am able to get a *little* tan... my mom teased me that I didn't tan, I just went from white to beige
wink.gif
lol

But now I'd rather not tan due to the risks, and I don't want to use a self tanner because I would literally have to cover my whole body with it to look natural -- I wouldn't want dark legs with pale arms, or a dark face with a pale neck, chest, or arms, or a white stomach when I pulled out the bikini.... So I am embracing my whiteness
biggrin.gif
I don't mind being pale in the winter, but in the summer I am a little self-consciouse of my blindingly white legs! But that doesn't stop me from wearing shorts and skirts anyway
wink.gif
hehe, I was the whitest person on the beach by far on our Hawaiian honeymoon!

Besides, with my pale skin, at least people know my blonde hair is natural! I have never liked the look of tanned skin with fake blonde hair!

I naturally have a light tan but still prefer to use tanning beds sometimes (try to mix it up w/self tanning stuff too) just cause it does make me look more toned/sporty. also hear many people 'tan' to cover up scars/spots/cellulite etc-even out skin tone. i see beauty in all skin colors too-but glowy, healthy skin is what everyone wants
sunshine.gif

Back