"Pale is the New Tan"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about vitamine D thing:

http://www.cosmeticcop.com/learn/art...ER=SKIN&ID=149

exert:

Quote:
The same article also mentioned a 1997 study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. It concerned patients with xeroderma pigmentosa (a disease that causes multiple skin cancers in persons exposed to even small amounts of UV radiation). The study demonstrated that these patients, despite avid sun avoidance and constant UV protection, still had normal levels of vitamin D over a period of several years. There is also the issue that no sunscreen, regardless of active ingredients or how often or liberally it is applied, can provide 100% protection from UV radiation. The tiny amount of UVB light that sunscreens do not shield is enough to begin the synthesis of vitamin D (though depending on your skin color and climate, supplemental vitamin D will likely still be necessary). about oxybenzone:
Quote:
Dear Paula,I am thrilled that your products are available in Europe now-thank you! I have purchased the Essential Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 15. I noticed that, per European Union regulations, there is a warning for the oxybenzone active sunscreen in this product. I read a little about this ingredient on the Internet and I must say I am a bit worried now. Is it safe? Does oxybenzone interfere with your hormones?

Diana, via email search

Dear Diana,

I am pleased to hear that you are as excited as we are about the launch of Paula's Choice in the European Union. In terms of your concern about oxybenzone, there is nothing for you to be worried about, as far as the research goes, for many reasons.

From what I can tell, there has been some alarmist and false information floating around on the Internet about many sunscreen ingredients. However, most of these risk-related comments are either not supported by published research or the only research performed was in animal or in vitro studies. As for real use on humans, the research is quite reassuring. The most current research I've seen about oxybenzone (as well as other sunscreen ingredients) comes from the Therapeutics Research Unit at the University of Queensland Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, and was published in Skin Pharmacology and Physiology (July-August 2005, pages 170-174). This extensive study noted that "The penetration and retention of five commonly used sunscreen agents (avobenzone, octinoxate, octocrylene, oxybenzone and padimate O) in human skin was . too low to cause any significant toxicity to the underlying human keratinocytes [skin]." And the researchers surmised that penetration beyond the skin cells was undetectable.

It seems that all sunscreen ingredients (both organic and inorganic), when subject to vitro research (controlled laboratory conditions in petri dishes), show a potential for some problems; however, these problems do not seem to arise in actual usage. Research is ongoing and I am following it closely. For now, the benefits of using sunscreen far outweigh any potential risk from sunscreen ingredients.

Originally Posted by KrazyPhish Grrr my 'friend' called me albino yesturday. The strange thing is that I'm brunnette with hazel eyes and freckles.I get sick of people asking me why my skin is so pale, I don't tan. period. "But whhhhhhhhhyyyyyy?"

It's funny how people think a tan is healthy, when really it's the opposite.

I know how you feel, the same thing has happened to me.

I love my tan, I look good with a tan, but I dont spend hours on it. I get tanned by going to soccer games, playin in the water at the beach, and doing yard work. One of my best friends though, hates tanning...and she looks good pale. Healthy or not, I am not staying out of the sun, i do lots of things that arent good for me!!

People just refuse to acknowledge the truth about tanning. Like others have said, it's not healthy. But all I ever see are people who tan everyday, and also spend a lot of time outside without sunscreen. My friend is a hair stylist, so I visit her almost everyday at her shop. And every day that I'm in there at the same time, this lady comes in to tan. She's orange, and dark, and frankly, it's disgusting. She says she's only 30, but she looks like she has to be 50. She's not the only person I've seen like that, though. When will people learn?

Lots of people do know, such as myself, but choose to tan anyways. I know its bad, but there are plenty of things bad for me, that I do anyways.

With what is now known about skin cancer and sun exposure deliberate tanning is foolish. If you want a tan look, there are plenty of ways to get it without risking your health later on. Clinique bronzer with Cover Girl translucent powder to tone it down was my first attempt at such a look, but now the options are huge.

I don't like having a tan.

Last week, I was a lot outside, and when I discovered that my skin *gasp* was suddenly golden, I nearly began to cry.

There's so many in my family with skin cancer; and I personally think it sucks to be outside in the sun. It burns my skin and makes my eyes hurt.

Originally Posted by MissGolightly I guess pale skin is associated with being run down etc and having a 'glow' is healthy...even though it's not the case.Laying in the sun on a nice beach is relaxing...I'm quite pale, so I always smother myself in suncreen & wear a hat, but I'm guess most people who still tan by the sun probably wouldn't like the unatural orange glow some fake tans give off...or think brown skin is worth the risk of sun cancer...or maybe they just don't think about it? Who knows? if you take care of your skin, even pale skin can have a unique 'glow' to it too! personally, I quite like pale skin because it's easier to achieve a translucent 'see thru' look with makeup that looks so delicate! having said that, tanned looks definately look great on some people...so i guess it all boils down to personal preference too.

Pale skin hard to keep looking nice (as I know lol I'm very pale) it shows up blemishes really quick and any redness stands out. If you take proper care of it tho (sunscreen, mineral foundation etc) it can look good. x

Haha.. I like being pale and I think I look better when I'm pale. That said, I have friends who look sick when they're pale, and so much healthier when they're a little sunkissed. To each his own really.

I would like to have a choice of having a tan or not! I have red hair with pale, fair skin, but thankfully not many freckles. I gave up on trying to have a tan years ago, but I do usually use a tanning bed before going on vacation. It seems to prevent a serious sunburn while I am trying to have fun. Though I think I look better with a little color, I can never call what I get a "tan".

When I was young I said I didn't care how I'd look when I was old because tanning was in. Now that I'm 62 I don't have any wrinkles, but the tanning gave me tons of age spots. I'm lucky because I'm l/2 Italian and my father's skin was fantastic, but I did pay the price with the age spots. Luckily makeup covers it thank goodness. I can tell you one thing..............don't smoke it really ages you and you will care.

Originally Posted by NotOfThisWorld /img/forum/go_quote.gif People just refuse to acknowledge the truth about tanning. Like others have said, it's not healthy. But all I ever see are people who tan everyday, and also spend a lot of time outside without sunscreen. My friend is a hair stylist, so I visit her almost everyday at her shop. And every day that I'm in there at the same time, this lady comes in to tan. She's orange, and dark, and frankly, it's disgusting. She says she's only 30, but she looks like she has to be 50. She's not the only person I've seen like that, though. When will people learn? Oh I can't stand that over tanned look. You can tell the kind of people that go tanning regularly because they look awful. The girls that work at those tanning salons look so artificial and old. I know just what you mean.

I don't tan mainly for cosmetic reasons, so I can avoid wrinkles and age spots as long as I can. I don't give a fig about skin cancer, since I'll be getting some kind of cancer later on in life anyway, and skin cancer is the least of my worries. I also think that most of the time I look better at my palest, and only in the summer months when I wear a lot of vivid colors will I apply a little bit of self tanner. The picture in my avatar is what I consider "tan" for me (I'm wearing bronzer, at least), and the picture in my profile is me being pretty pale. Both of them work, just at certain times.

I personally prefer the way I look tan because I get a really nice golden color. I look healthy, even though I know tans aren't healthy. My skin is pretty translucent and my veins show through much more when I'm not tan. My legs right now are just scary. Of course, I haven't been out in the sun in forever and I'm ashamed to show my legs for them to get any color in the first place, so I'll be buying some self-tanner soon.

There's always a spray tan :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sure those are 100% healthy.

Personally, whenever I'm out in the sun, I have to be extra careful because when I'm tanned, I look yellow, as if I have a really bad case of jaundice
frown.gif

I've known several women in their 50s who've had to have cancerous growths removed from their skin. It's just not funny. I especially hate seeing people who let their children run about and get burned. That kind of damage to very young, delicate skin can have a lifetime's legacy, or so I've read.

Fake tanners are so much better now than even 10 years ago in terms of formulation, ease of use and smell. The spray-can tans you can buy are very good. What I really like to see though is people making the most of their natural colouring, it always looks the best. A white person scorching themself to try and get a colour they weren't born to have is not attractive, nor is a black person who smothers themselves in bleaching creams, and I've read that both can cause long-term problems.

Being a redhead I don't tan, I burn
frown.gif
I always wanted a light tan, but it is not possible. But for those of you that sunbath, or use tanning beds, etc., I would suggest applying your SPF at least 20 minutes prior to sun exposure or tanning bed exposure so your spf has time to absorb into your skin. You will still tan but you will have the protection your skin needs.

Fake and Bake is very popular along with the mystic tan in salons here in Missouri.

Shar

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i have to say that everyone has an idea of what looks good on them and to them. my motto is "if you like it, i love it!" no need to explain why what i like is bad for me, or why what you like is bad for you. do what works for you and be happy! I agree!

i don't tan, i burn. that's my skin type. last summer my best friend took me with her on holidays, for one week, in the south of France. i did use regularly susncreen, but every night i had to put a good layer of biafine (a great cream for burns of any kind, especially sunburns). just because my skin can burn really easily.

i'm naturally pale, so fake tans don't look good on me. i don't know why, but being a pale brunette suits me. fake tans don't look natural. that's why i rarely use bronzer in mu. and loving goth clothes and makeup, i really enjoy being pale lol.

I'm normally white like goat cheese, so once the spring weather comes I feel very self concious wearing skirts, shorts because you can see the veins on my legs

So I do fake & bake I wouldnt even consider what I get from the bed as a tan, it gives me a glow. I think everything in moderation.

Back