"Pale is the New Tan"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissGolightly /img/forum/go_quote.gif I guess pale skin is associated with being run down etc and having a 'glow' is healthy...even though it's not the case.Laying in the sun on a nice beach is relaxing...I'm quite pale, so I always smother myself in suncreen & wear a hat, but I'm guess most people who still tan by the sun probably wouldn't like the unatural orange glow some fake tans give off...or think brown skin is worth the risk of sun cancer...or maybe they just don't think about it? Who knows? I have definitely had a similar experience. People have told me that I look unhealthy because I'm quite fair. Now I am using the "glow" lotions.

This is a great thread. I am always so in awe of all the people I see that don't seem to care about sun protection, especially when they even let their kids get brown!! I just don't think they realize what can happen...

Me personally, I am of mixed decent, so I practically tan in an instant, no matter what I do, and don't even remember the last time I had a sunburn; it just doesn't happen. I have always been really concerned about staying young-looking (vain, I guess, lol), and not getting skin cancer, so I have worn sunscreen year round since high school. It has really paid off. I am 29 and have no wrinkles, not even around my eyes. Funny thing is, I have not been as diligent with my arms as I am with my face, and now my arms are all dark, and it looks funny with my lighter face. So I am now more careful than ever about slathering myself with sunscreen. People say I am lucky to be able to tan so easily...meanwhile, I am annoyed as HECK about it...I guess people must think I am strange, lol!!!

i love being pale, i can even see the pretty blue and purple veins in my wrists ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> morbid i know. i hate fake and bakes..i just don't get it..

I always loved the sun, but it doesn't love me with my Irish heritage
frown.gif
A helpful suggestion to those that want spf protection to keep their skin from aging down the road: Apply a SPF at least 20 minutes prior to sun exposure so it has time to absorb into your skin. So you will have the protection your skin needs. I am a firm believer of wearing SPF on all exposed areas of the skin daily since UVA rays UVB rays are our emeny for skin cancer and that nast word wrinkles
frown.gif

Shar

I love having pale skin, I spent too long trying to be something I'm not! Girls like Emily Browning, wow - talk about natural pale beauty. It's great for girls who are naturally pale, and for those who aren't to just stop frying their skin.

It just comes down to accept what you've got and make the most of it.

Originally Posted by Arualav /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok, so I stole the thread title from Vanilla_Sky (sorry). But with summer here there seems to be an abundance of people talking about getting tans and what not.. what I want to know is when did people decide that it was "healthy" to fry yourself in the sun (or a bed)? Not trying to bash on people who do I just wanted to know. Personally, I prefer people to be paler so long as they slap a bit of blush and what not on. And there are incredible advancements in the self-tanning field. Does anyone have any thoughts? I think it's best for pale people's skin to stay out of the sun. Those of Asian, Hispanic, Indian or African-American (we should wear spf 15) descent have an abundance of melanin (even fair skinned individuals) so our skin has some degree of natural protection (which is why our skin does not wrinkle as fast as as our caucasion counterparts)

Me personally, I'm naturally a littler darker than Alicia Keys naturally, but I love tanning to Beyonce's color just because it looks healther than my natural "yellow beige" skin, and vibrant colors just "POP" when I have more color. I dont' "TAN" by going to tanning beds, but since I'm naturally golden my skin tans superquick with basically no effort. I am aware that a "tan" is a sign of damage, but, at almost 31 I don't have any wrinkles and neither does my mom (49) or dad (51) so I'm not going to just bask in the sun, but i'm certaintly not going to avoid it.

v

Originally Posted by Harlot /img/forum/go_quote.gif I never really understood how people like the tan look. Ive always hated my color since Im naturally tan (not too much though) and cant really get rid of it. But contrary to what I say, Ive been told that people evny me for my color. By all means take it!
biggrin.gif
Id rather be paler. I quess people are never happy with what they have naturally! I'm naturally "yellow beige" but I love Beyonce's skin color! I guess that's why "sunless tanning" is a billion dollar business...lol

I know first hand how unhealthy being in the sun is. My Uncle Frank was constantly in the sun. He had a boat down the shore so he fished all day long. He had skin cancer and he had many skin grafts done. I have friends that use tanning beds and wonder why their facial skin is wrinkled.I try to stay out of the sun. Pale skinned women are really sexy, at least in my opinion.

Dermatologists have noticed that people in their early 20's that tan outdoors use tanning beds, etc., (year around) have developed more fine lines and wrinkles
frown.gif
There are so many products and options available now for individuals to bring color to their skin. Fake and Bake is very popular along with bronzers, and sunless tanners.

Shar

People should definitly use fake tan if they like the tanned look. I used to tan before and now I'm starting to see the effect of the sun. I really ages your skin. Now I've been avoiding the sun for a year or so and hope that my skin will recover.

Originally Posted by korina981 /img/forum/go_quote.gif yeah it's messed up. Im Indian and i guess i'm pretty light for my realatively dark skinned family (I'm NW25 in the summer) and my grandparents always treated me better than my darker skinned female cousins. I can't say I blame them for getting into bleaching when there is such blatant discrimination.
Also, when my brunette MMM/GGG friend went to Finland for school she said that she was getting ridiculous amounts of attention from hot guys and it seemed to her that it was because she was in a sea of blonde pale skinned women and she was 'special', lol.

yeah there is i mean i don't want to get into detail about it but i've exprienced it and it sucks

i even went through the skin bleaching phase too

i mean a lot of people aren't anywhere near as dark as i am...prolly won't empathize with me but it took a lot of self-acceptance to get to where i am now

p.s. i'm black lol

lol cool thread.

I am quite pale too though i do tan a bit in the sun, but I don't think I would suit a fake tan and i would never risk the exposure from tanning in the sun or beds. if i ever feel i need a bit of colour i use a bronzing powder.

I know what some of you mean about being criticised for being pale - i had a friend who constantly went on how I was a ghost, looked ill, the bags under my eyes were terrible....its cos your pale - no one else has ever made any comments - but then she would often say things and then go do the opposite herself...some people just are never happy, I later heard her going on about how she wanted to try skin lightening products - whatever skin tone etc you are you're beautiful don't let anyone tell you different, because they may just be jealous.

How do you bleach your face o_O???

I'm chinese and I know that a lot of asian girls use whitening products, but bleachin??? Is that dangerous???

I'M PALE AND PROUD!! I quit tanning in my early 20s due in equal part to vanity and safety (blonde, blue eyes, freckles). I'm 40 now and know that I'm gonna look a heck of lot better than all those others who tanned. I actually find it shocking that anyone would still tan in this day and age.

I like having "pale" skin. I think it looks better. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of girls who look nice with tans but some just go overboard and it looks hideous.

I'm very pale, and for some reason my skin doesn't burn, but tans very lightly over the course of the whole summer. maybe im lucky? I dunno. Ive never used a tanning bed, but I do like a bit of color to even things out so I usually grab jergens self tanner, which kinda kicks my natural process up a teeny notch.

I'm very, very fair and the type who just goes straight from pale to burn without proper sun protection. I'm quite content with my skintone, but I don't think I'd feel any uglier or less secure if I had a deeper skintone. Honestly, I don't know if it's the whole Twilight thing, but I rarely - if ever - get comments on my melanin deficiency. I remember getting a fair bit of teasing about it in 6th grade, but it's par for the course to be teased for something - I just got the mick taken out of me and my milk-bottle legs. Makeup MAs always have trouble matching me to foundations and concealers, but most really see the challenge as something to take on eagerly, from what I can tell. I've gotten the very occasional comment or questions from some Malaysian or Korean ladies asking how I stay so fair, or (in one instance) going so as far as touching my face. But honestly? I've realized if I don't mention it, no-one else seems to notice or really care, generally speaking. I've never had a dashing young lad turn me down for being too pale, and I certainly don't get stared at like an alien most of the time.n I do get the occasional spray tan (I'm truly amazed how natural these can look), but I usually skip my face. If my body goes orange, I can easily cover it - covering an Oompa-Loompa face is a bit more difficult.

I like my pale skin, but I also like my skin when I'm a bit tan.

I dont like the orange tan looking skin tho... thats one step to far in my book.

But even on the runway you see pale girls as tanned girls, depending on the designer.

I think everyone should do what makes them feel the happiest. As long as you take good care of your skin and are aware of any risks that tanning brings.

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back