"Pale is the New Tan"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can pretty much become another nationality in the summer lol, even with everyday use of sun block as my job requires me to be outside for most of the day, I usually end up with a farmer tan and go to the beds every so often to try and even it out or just wear long sleeves haha! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've always been pale and people always nag me about it especially in the summer. I don't understand why they have a problem with my natural skin colour...Years ago I got tanned one time and I didn't feel like myself. When I was younger my classmates used to make fun of me and even insult me for being pale :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. But I'm stubborn lol

I have very pale skin and while I agree that pale skin is beautiful, I have been in a few tanning beds in my life time.  I am in no way obsessed with tanning (my skin doesn't really cooperate with tanning beds or tanning in general), but sometimes having that little bit of color makes me FEEL better.  I feel thinner, I feel like my skin is healthy, but I know the risks of tanning and having that "feeling" is not really worth it.  I will stick to my pasty white skin with freckles...(it makes it easier to pull off my bright red fake hair color easier)......lol

Originally Posted by Desired /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I vote for tanning beds over fake tan.  That stuff is a pain, and most of the time it just turns you orange.  They'll probably find out it's dangerous too, in the near future.  I think you need to use everything--tanning beds, sun block, etc--in moderate.  If you're tanning every day, no wonder you're getting hurt.  People weren't meant to sit under intense UV rays all day. 
self tanners have been around for years, and so far they have not been proven to be dangerous. Tanning beds however are always a bad idea - any kind of unprotected UV exposure is a bad idea! Going to tanning bads very infrequently won´t give you skin cancer immediately, but sun damage adds up over the years.

I have never been to a tanning bed, but I tan every summer. I love the feel of the warm sun! I like how I look tan and how I look pale. I'm really torn about quitting tanning. I love how it makes me feel so much. But I think makeup looks nicer on me with pale skin. This past fall an older man commented on how pale my skin was even though I had a dark summer tan! I didn't get it. Oh well.

I started to tan a lot when I was in my late teen's and early 20's because I had terrible cystic acne when I was 17 and it left a lot of really bad scarring (well bad for me, I looked at my face everyday and cringed), but some people would be like "Oh I don't even notice it".. you know, liars, like my mother!  LOL.. anyways, going tanning hid my scars very well because I get some freckles on my face when I tan, but then after a couple times the freckles just turn into one big tan and then I'm pretty tan for an irish girl when I go consistantly.  That used to be my routine, go to work, then the gym, then tanning.   I used to go like 5 days a week.  It also helped my weight insecurities, made me feel thinner, and it always made me feel more attractive. 

I stopped going like that when I was in my mid 20's but then would have spurts of going hardcore everyday, 4-5 days a week for like a month or two and then I would stop and start that again in 6 months or so.  People always complimented me when I was tan, in my avatar picture now that skin color is from about 3 sessions of tanning.  Now I've been going like 3 times every 6-8 weeks and I go in these crazy ultra level 50000 beds, so that's why if I go like 2-3 times it will last for a good 3 weeks having some color then it fades into nothing.  I don't want to really go anymore, but I look so dreadfully pale when I don't go, I used to get made fun of for being so pale when I was younger, they used to call me "Vamp" for vampire cuz I was white like one and only liked going out at night, but that is BC my skin was nasty and the day time light reflected on it and I hated it! 

Since I'm an airbrush makeup artist, I have airbrush tan, I might try it out on myself, I never did it on myself before.  I also have used this excellent self tanner called FAKE BAKE and it works really really good!  You guys should try it. 

I'm hispanic, so I tan if I sit under a desk lamp for too long.  I'm also a runner, and in the summer it doesn't matter the SPF level I use, I always turn a darker shade. 

In the winter months, I don't get pale, I get YELLOW.  The color that fades from my skin turns to a sickly yellow/olive mix and I have to switch foundation colors every season.  Its tuff, but it is who I am.  I never understood this growing up and finding a foundation shade from the pharmacy brands was a horrible experience. 

Id love to move down south and just have a solid 12 month color shade and never worry about the foundation color... alas, that will take a miracle. 

So, yes, if you want to stay your natural birth color that's fine, but for some its not that easy.  I think I actually look healthier with a tan (remember winter yellow). 

I have to admit tho, porcelain skin is beautiful (think Dita Von Teese).

I'm Filipino/Chinese mix.  Some days, I look pale and somedays I look tan.  I just have to think about sunny days and I will look tanned.  There are days that people comment on how white I am as well.  I have no control.  I do prefer a healthy glow from being outside nowadays.  It makes me feel like I've gotten some exercise as well to obtain this tan. 

Mind you, in my youth, I was pale pale white, much like a vampire because I avoided the sun like I'd catch on fire. 

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm hispanic, so I tan if I sit under a desk lamp for too long.  I'm also a runner, and in the summer it doesn't matter the SPF level I use, I always turn a darker shade. 

In the winter months, I don't get pale, I get YELLOW.  The color that fades from my skin turns to a sickly yellow/olive mix and I have to switch foundation colors every season.  Its tuff, but it is who I am.  I never understood this growing up and finding a foundation shade from the pharmacy brands was a horrible experience. 

Id love to move down south and just have a solid 12 month color shade and never worry about the foundation color... alas, that will take a miracle. 

So, yes, if you want to stay your natural birth color that's fine, but for some its not that easy.  I think I actually look healthier with a tan (remember winter yellow). 

I have to admit tho, porcelain skin is beautiful (think Dita Von Teese).

Yeah and Dita can def rock red lipstick!!!  I know about that yellow/olive skin tone... I studied skin color theory just recently...  My skintone is ruby.. I have red undertones to it, even when I tan, I'm reddish golden at first, then bronzeish.. I gotta find some pix of me when I was like EXTREMELY tan and was going tanning 2 times a day..I look DISGUSTING and the crazy part is.. I THOUGHT I WAS PALE!  I would ask everyone.. "Do you think I'm tan? I don't feel tan!" and they'd be like UM, yes you are tan.. and then finally i took some pix one day of me with some friends and I was like disgusting dark and they looked all pale and I was like EW why didnt anyone tell me i looked like this?  LOL Im gonna find them now!!

hahaha! Its funny that you mention that... The lady at B.E. that color matched me had it all wrong and she was like - you're pink.  I was like really?  So, in the end she tried the entire medium palette and in the end I was matched Golden Medium (for now)... I'll have to go back in a couple months and move into the Tan line - However, I will NOT be going back to her. LOL!

Your education and experience will take you far girl!

Okay, I found some really horrible pictures of me when I was addicted to tanning.  This is the definition of ugly and skincancer.

I mean really!!  what the F!

I'm naturally pale as can be.

In the summer, I would love to be a bit darker, just because my skin actually blinds me when the sun hits its it right. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (I mostly kid about that part) my skin MAYBE gets dark enough to be NW 25, if I'm LUCKY, in the summer. I don't tan however, my skin just burns rapidly, sometimes when I've only been in the sun for 15-20 minutes. A walk down the block can leave me slightly pink on a bad day.
In the winter, I absolutely love my skin, What I do find aggravating is the constant comments I get 'oh, you're so pale!", "Don't you get outside?" Etc. Etc, Come this summer, I may start looking for a mild self-tanner to darken my skin a tad. I'd love to try a tanning bed, but I don't like the dangers involved, and the whole idea just makes me skin crawl for some reason, (Small, confined spaces...)

Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, I found some really horrible pictures of me when I was addicted to tanning.  This is the definition of ugly and skincancer.

wow! I´m glad you stopped tanning. You´re a pretty girl and I bet with the self tanner you mentioned you´ll feel more beautiful than with a dark "natural" tan.

There is no doubt that having a tan makes most people feel better about themselves. You FEEL healthy because having a tan is still associated with youth and health. I´m always reminding myself that I´m 26, and people who are shocked by how pale my face is year round (that is if they catch me without self tanner on, otherwise they´d think I have a natural tan) and tell me to get some sun will be shocked when they realize I look much younger than they do in a few years. I preach "sunscreen, 365 days of the year!" to all my friends who care about their skin...but so far, only one is listening, and that´s only because she´s also 26 and has wrinkles already (from smoking+sun). The rest want to be tan...and I guess wrinkly later on.

@ Changingfaces - I think the guy on your left has you beat! LOL! 

In regards to comments about being pale, I dont think its your skin color that makes you look pale - but the lack of either moisturizers or makeup! LOL!

Personnally,  I dont think you need a self tanner, but properly applied makeup will make you radiate!  Its not about pale in my opinion, its about highlighting the right features.  The right blush or bronzing powder should highlight your natural color without making you look chalky. 

There's no makeup and pale and then there's makeup (same skin color).

I dont think anyone would ever call this woman pale (below)

I have olive coloured skin, so im more tanned, although my face is pale! I tan so easily, a few hours just out and about in the sun and im brown, i still have tan lines on my legs from june 2010!

I like pale and tanned, it depends on hair colour for me, i mean i think a tanned gineger would look ridiculous, i like both really :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ Changingfaces - I think the guy on your left has you beat! LOL! 

In regards to comments about being pale, I dont think its your skin color that makes you look pale - but the lack of either moisturizers or makeup! LOL!

Personnally,  I dont think you need a self tanner, but properly applied makeup will make you radiate!  Its not about pale in my opinion, its about highlighting the right features.  The right blush or bronzing powder should highlight your natural color without making you look chalky. 

There's no makeup and pale and then there's makeup (same skin color).

I dont think anyone would ever call this woman pale (below)

wow I love the 2nd pic! I think you're right about makeup, maybe I should try something like this in the photo to liven me up because I'm pale with dark brown hair and blue/grey eyes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ha! Perfect! LOL! Post pics on FOTD so we can see what you come up with! We'd love to see!

Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow I love the 2nd pic! I think you're right about makeup, maybe I should try something like this in the photo to liven me up because I'm pale with dark brown hair and blue/grey eyes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your adorable....and PLEASE don't take this the wrong way.....you look like you could be the new girl on "Jersey Shore"....lol....but for real I think you are a very pretty girl with or without a tan.

Back