People who collect makeup- your thoughts

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't really care what people spend their money on. Most people have a part of their life they splurge on. For me, it's makeup and handbags. I am sure there are people who think I am nuts for not having just one, inexpensive purse. But they aren't living my life, so they can just suck it lol!
biggrin.gif
Haha, couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I suppose you could say I "collect" makeup. Some of it gets more use than others, but I don't buy anything that I don't think I'd use. I don't wait until I've used it all up to buy more makeup, though...especially eye shadows. Also, I don't see any problem with buying more than one of a limited edition item that I like, but I usually just buy one and then try to find a similar product once the original starts to run out.
As far as foundations go, I have quite a few. But they serve different purposes. I use different foundations depending on my skin's condition that day (whether my skin is extra dry, breaking out, in good condition, etc) as well as how long I need it to last and whether or not I'm going to have pictures taken.

Different people have different hobbies and collections of different things...I don't think that makes any of them greedy.
smile.gif

I'm right there with you on this one.

I agree with all of you... Although I wouldn't buy makeup just because of the packaging or because its a LE item... I use eventually everything that I buy because if not whats the point?

Originally Posted by Mixie87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It is different. It takes YEARS for books"disintegrate". My mom still has books from when she was a kid. The pages get yellow, but you can still read them.Makeup lasts a couple months, no more than 5 years...depending what it is.

Why does it matter that the makeup will expire? If someone wants to spend his/her money on it, then so be it. It's not really up to you whether you think it's unreasonable or not. If someone wants to collect cartons of milk, so be it. Who cares if it'll expire in a couple weeks? If it makes them happy, so be it. I just don't understand when people feel the need to criticize/chastise someone else's choices, as if it at all affects them. Next time you see someone's huge collection of makeup, don't think about the expiry date, think about how pretty everything looks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif Why does it matter that the makeup will expire? If someone wants to spend his/her money on it, then so be it. It's not really up to you whether you think it's unreasonable or not. If someone wants to collect cartons of milk, so be it. Who cares if it'll expire in a couple weeks? If it makes them happy, so be it. I just don't understand when people feel the need to criticize/chastise someone else's choices, as if it at all affects them. Next time you see someone's huge collection of makeup, don't think about the expiry date, think about how pretty everything looks.
smile.gif
Im trying to understand the mindset of people who collect makeup. I dont understand why they would buy all this beautiful makeup and not use it. Im not critizing, just asking questions. It doesnt effect me, they're not spending my $. This is a makeup forum the last time i checked, where you discuss makeup related things. Im not asking for people to agree with me, it's my thoughts. I feel like people are getting offended and need to relax.

I think people like variety too. I mean, suppose I feel like wearing a purple shadow, or a pink lipstick, it would be much easier to do so, if I owned the colors. So, here lies the question - when you say "collector", do you mean someone who purchases a lot of makeup with the intention of using it at some point, or someone who buys things and does not plan to use them?

If its someone who buys a ton of stuff they can never possibly use up, its probably about variety. I know I own way more clothes than I really need, but I like to have options. If I want to wear purple, I have purple ready to go.

If you are asking about straight collectors, well women collected Avon perfume bottles for years, and did not use the perfume, just because it was something pretty to look at. Some people like to collect stamps, just a hobby I mean what can you do with used stamps? And if you just collect and do not use it, no worries on expiration dates.

HTH!

The point is, most of us are junkies/addicts and makeup is our vice. We like the rush, the pretty, the textures, we show it off. We may not use it all, but having it to do so, makes us happy. We like it, we use it, buy more, buy backups (collecting). Sometimes some things get forgotten because we're chasing another item to play with or are playing with new booty. It's our "thing." It makes us happy.

At least it does all this for me.

I don't think makeup is a waste of money so as long as people don't lose sight of their budget and don't spend excessively to the point of where they can't afford to put food on the table.

I personally get a huge rush every time I visit one of my favorite makeup counters. Once I find a product I want to try out or buy, I literally am ITCHING for it. It's like a crazy hunger I can never seem to satisfy. I know that seems pretty bad, but I always want more.

That said, I do try to use every single product I buy. Even if I come to find that I don't like it that much. I just can't stand to waste makeup products or anything I've spend good money on. I have champagne taste on a beer budget.
frown.gif

I am a makeup glutton and I have amassed a collection of makeup that I love and I can't stand the thought of giving any of it away. I know, it sounds harsh but seriously, I love my makeup. I have a lot and so I don't use everything everyday but I try to rotate my way around my collect. I don't keep everything in boxes but I do keep my boxes, they're kinda like a trophy for me.

I've been buying makeup for many, many years and yes, I am in huge debt because of it. I maxed out both a Nordstrom and Macy's card (clothes had a lot to do with it, though) and I worked at a makeup counter for 5 years, plus I was a makeup artist on the side.. so I have more makeup than I will use in my entire lifetime. I try to use everything and rotate the makeup on a weekly basis. I have 20 different foundations, but I usually mix them or save them for makeup jobs. I think that financially it is a problem, but I only get this one life, so I buy what I want. I am getting out of debt slowly, and soon enough I'll have it all paid off.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif Why does it matter that the makeup will expire? If someone wants to spend his/her money on it, then so be it. It's not really up to you whether you think it's unreasonable or not. If someone wants to collect cartons of milk, so be it. Who cares if it'll expire in a couple weeks? If it makes them happy, so be it. I just don't understand when people feel the need to criticize/chastise someone else's choices, as if it at all affects them. Next time you see someone's huge collection of makeup, don't think about the expiry date, think about how pretty everything looks.
smile.gif
agreed. I couldn't have said it better. Since I'm in a marketing class in school I can't help but think of the positives the economy faces with these spenders. There is a reason why the government doesn't want us to be afraid to spend right now. Slowly yet surely we can get out of a recession by giving more to the businesses. So who really cares what someone buys tons of? it really isnt hurting anyone at all
smile.gif
just making someone in particular happy. there needs to be a lot more happy in the world! go happy

well i suppose if thats your thing spend away. I know i've wasted enough money in my time.

I just dont like spending money on stuff that will get outdated and need to be tossed thats all. Other than that if you want 256 shades of eyeshadow that's great!

I have a huge makeup collection and I use what I buy. People that don't enjoy makeup as much I do don't understand why I have so much. It brings be joy and it's as simple as that. I can't explain why anyone would buy makeup and not use it and I also can't explain why I would buy more makeup than I can use in my lifetime. It's fun for me.

Quote:
The point is, most of us are junkies/addicts and makeup is our vice. We like the rush, the pretty, the textures, we show it off. We may not use it all, but having it to do so, makes us happy. We like it, we use it, buy more, buy backups (collecting). Sometimes some things get forgotten because we're chasing another item to play with or are playing with new booty. It's our "thing." It makes us happy.
At least it does all this for me.

These are my thoughts exactly. So what if I have 15 green eye shadows or 25 purples? It makes me happy. I like having it.

Originally Posted by Mixie87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Im trying to understand the mindset of people who collect makeup. I dont understand why they would buy all this beautiful makeup and not use it. Im not critizing, just asking questions. It doesnt effect me, they're not spending my $. This is a makeup forum the last time i checked, where you discuss makeup related things. Im not asking for people to agree with me, it's my thoughts. I feel like people are getting offended and need to relax. I don't think anyone is offended.
smile.gif

This is a makeup forum, so you're likely to not get many who don't understand the collecting of makeup. I don't know if you felt jumped on or not for voicing your opinion, but you are certainly welcome to do so here.

There are a few LE palettes that I like to collect but I do end up using them eventually. My collection is not huge compared to many of you beauty mavens out there :) Nowadays, I'm a little more selective with my purchases and am exploring mineral makeup too.

I'm kind of inbetween on this one. I tend to buy products that I like and use up then I'll shop my stash for things I've hit pan on etc. So that side of things I'm definatley not a collector. Then there is MAC and there limited edition collections (Special packaging) that I tend to collect and tend to use some of it up but I love the packaging! Sad but true. For eyeshadows and blushes from limited editions I try to use them up and then depot them and find a dupe and in turn I can reuse the packaging
smile.gif

I don't think its greedy at all. I personally enjoy collecting makeup and think its a part of my hobby.

I'm not so sure I'm really a makeup "collector". I had gone several years NOT tending to the beauty side of things as I should've, and I recently jumped back in. Do I have a lot of stuff? Yep. But I also know that I am at the point where there is very little that I "need", so I'm cool with chilling out for a while and really PLAYING in the stuff that I have, most of which I got on amazing bargains to start with.

And, ok, yeah, it is fun for me that if someone I know needs a product for a special night out, I can usually say, "Oh, I haz that!" and share with them. When my niece's parents split up the other day, it felt GOOD to be able to put together a fun bag for her out of my stash...and she isn't the only one I've done that for.

So I think I fall just this side of hoarding. As addictions go, it's not nearly as bad as some and a lot cheaper than most.

Back