People who collect makeup- your thoughts

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't really consider myself a collector. Do I buy a lot more makeup than I need? Absolutely! I love makeup and beauty products, and these items are something I buy because I enjoy them. I use everything, even my limited edition stuff. If someone wants to buy makeup for their collection and display it instead of using it, that's their business. Doesn't bother me one way or another!

There is nothing wrong with collecting things. We all know there is a collection of just about everything known to man. And collecting can be a worth while and rewarding hobby.

IMO, a collection should consist of special/limited edition items. They will hold more monitary value in the future, as well have a greater resale value once they are out of production. I realize not everyone collects for that reason, and do so more for sentimental value or pure enjoyment. 

I think alot collectors do so knowing that one day that piece of makeup will be vintage and will hold a sort of historical value for future makeup lovers. Like makeup items from the early 1900's for example. We just marvel over those keepsakes and an unopened/untouched item from the 40's is highly desired by vintage collectors. Maybe I am reading to much into this whole collection thing lol.

Again, this is solely my opinion and I don't think my opinion should be everyones. If you enjoy collecting makeup, then that is awesome. Don't let anyone try to discourage you from enjoying what you enjoy.

I try to keep my own "collection" of makeup on a smallish scale. I do have more than most all my friends, and people I know, but I also do makeup for them and others so I have to have more makeup then I personally need.

I don't really collect makeup as a hobby personally.  I collect owls. lol If it has an owl on it I want it. I am the crazy owl lady. I have keychain, wallet, jewlery, little home decor and lawn ornaments. It isn't overtaking my house, but pretty much every room has at least one owl in it. lol.

there's makeup collecting, and then there's makeup hoarding. I feel like if you hoard makeup, you have some intention of using it even if you don't; makeup collectors want their pieces in mint condition and never use them.

maybe this is horribly unhygienic of me and I'll develop eye cancer or something, but I don't throw away my palettes every few months. the only makeup I throw away are really old lip products, and dried out mascara/eyeliners. so if I hoard a few palettes, even if they sit around for a few months before I actually use them, I'll get to them eventually.

all collectors like their pieces in mint condition; the only difference is what they collect. stamp collectors don't use the stamps they collect, just as the middle-aged man who buys mint condition barbie dolls doesn't let his toddler play with them. compared to more expensive hobbies, makeup isn't nearly as bad.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't really consider myself a collector. Do I buy a lot more makeup than I need? Absolutely! I love makeup and beauty products, and these items are something I buy because I enjoy them. I use everything, even my limited edition stuff. If someone wants to buy makeup for their collection and display it instead of using it, that's their business. Doesn't bother me one way or another!

dito.gif
 I feel the same way.   I have a lot of makeup that I rarely use because I work in a corporate office; however, from time to time I let my wild side show and play it up a bit.  Even if its just on the weekends... but I love my stash and would love to be able to buy/try more products.

I have too much makeup, and I sometimes feel guilty for neglecting most of it. I try to use most things, but there are definitely products that I very rarely use. Every once in a while, I give stuff to my sisters or friends so they won't go to waste.

I think it's absolutely fine to collect makeup, as long as you don't leave things go bad. (Like I said, I give things away all the time) When people criticize me, I just say that I could have had a much more expensive hobby. Other women collect jewelry--for which I could care less--and expensive clothes and shoes. I just collect makeup. A lot cheaper. LOL.
icon_lol.gif

I do buy more makeup than I can use and sometime feel guilty about it. However, I spend my own money and that's how I reward myself so I always tell myself not to feel guilty. Some of the products I don't use I give it to my mom so it's still not put to waste :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I personally only buy make up to use it, since I think a lot of it actually has an expiration date. So I am not a collector in that sense, but I can totally understand why others choose to collect make up. I mean, people collect all kinds of things, so why not make up too? I don't think it's any different than collecting anything else.

Back