Places you would like to travel to?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've travelled across Canada and have been to Spokane WA and New York City. What I'd really like to do is take a motorcycle trip across the US and visit all the National parks and historic sites there.
That would definitely be a fun trip!  Though I've seen a fair bit of the Eastern states, I haven't seen any of the West coast yet.  Hopefully someday!

All interesting places!  I've only managed to get to the Caribbean from that list; Grand Cayman, actually.  It was really nice!  Iceland is definitely one I really want to see someday.
@@CaseyR Lucky you! I really want to try that hotspring in Iceland. Have you heard about it? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@CaseyR Lucky you! I really want to try that hotspring in Iceland. Have you heard about it? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
It looks so awesome!  It's definitely something I'd love to see.  Iceland also seems to have a really interesting culture; it'd be a fun trip for sure.  I just wish it was an easier place to travel to lol

It looks so awesome!  It's definitely something I'd love to see.  Iceland also seems to have a really interesting culture; it'd be a fun trip for sure.  I just wish it was an easier place to travel to lol
It's probably the same price to fly from Toronto to Vancouver...  :rolleyes:

I've travelled across Canada and have been to Spokane WA and New York City. What I'd really like to do is take a motorcycle trip across the US and visit all the National parks and historic sites there.
My grandfather was a huge motorcycle enthusiast before his eyesight failed him and he did a trip similar to what you've described. He also went on a huge group trip from Alaska to Chile, on motorcycle.

I definitely think that if you get the chance, you should do it. That would be an awesome experience. :smilehappyyes:

@@CaseyR

It's awesome! I lived there for a year, went to make-up school there. It's very mild, green all year round, yes it rains a lot, but it feels like the warm rain we get here in Toronto. What's really cool is the West Coast First Nation sculptures and artwork everywhere. 

I've been to every major city in Canada except Whitehorse, Iqaluit, and St. John's NL and I can tell you that Vancouver has the largest homeless / street person population in Canada. It's sad, but you get the good with the bad in every city. 

The other downside is the price of going anywhere in Canada... It's cheaper flying to the Caribbean and to Europe.  :huh:   

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather was a huge motorcycle enthusiast before his eyesight failed him and he did a trip similar to what you've described. He also went on a huge group trip from Alaska to Chile, on motorcycle.

I definitely think that if you get the chance, you should do it. That would be an awesome experience. :smilehappyyes:
Alaska to Chile... On a motorcycle... Now that would be fun! I am sure your grandfather has some great photos of that trip.

Back in '92 my GF at the time and I rented a Harley Davidson and we went on a 2 week small group tour ride from Calgary to Vancouver and back (1 week each way). It was a lot of fun. So that trip was part of my inspiration / dream of doing it in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@CaseyR

It's awesome! I lived there for a year, went to make-up school there. It's very mild, green all year round, yes it rains a lot, but it feels like the warm rain we get here in Toronto. What's really cool is the West Coast First Nation sculptures and artwork everywhere. 

I've been to every major city in Canada except Whitehorse, Iqaluit, and St. John's NL and I can tell you that Vancouver has the largest homeless / street person population in Canada. It's sad, but you get the good with the bad in every city. 

The other downside is the price of going anywhere in Canada... It's cheaper flying to the Caribbean and to Europe.  :huh:   
I would definitely appreciate that climate; I'm one of the few who likes rain :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Back in the day when I was learning audio-mastering, I actually did some volunteer work for some of the Haida Gwaii from BC (mastering old tapes of elders' Skidgegate language).  I would love to see some of the things and places they spoke of out there someday.  It all sounds very beautiful. 

I've also heard about the social problems in the in Vancouver; very sad.

And that's so true.  The only trip I've taken in Canada of substantial distance was a music trip in high school to Banff.  It's a little embarrassing, but I've really seen very little of it all up to this point in life.

I would definitely appreciate that climate; I'm one of the few who likes rain :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Back in the day when I was learning audio-mastering, I actually did some volunteer work for some of the Haida Gwaii from BC (mastering old tapes of elders' Skidgegate language).  I would love to see some of the things and places they spoke of out there someday.  It all sounds very beautiful. 

I've also heard about the social problems in the in Vancouver; very sad.

And that's so true.  The only trip I've taken in Canada of substantial distance was a music trip in high school to Banff.  It's a little embarrassing, but I've really seen very little of it all up to this point in life.
That's sooo cool with the Skidgegate language. I am guessing you were mastering the tapes for archival purposes for like a resource library of some sort?

Yep!  Basically, at the time of the recording, there were less than about twenty people from this community who spoke this particular dialect fluently, so a professor of mine (also a Haida) recorded about eight hours of audio on-site; great content, but lots of interference of many sorts.  About a decade later when I got involved, we took the recordings and made them into a couple educational/archival CDs.  To my knowledge, our projected has been archived in a couple places in Ottawa (where we worked), and out in BC, where the associated museum/archive library is.  It was a rather unusual way of learning mastering, but definitely something that I thought was really cool to be involved with.  It really showed how so much culture often vanishes in the modern world before anyone even realizes it these days.

Alaska to Chile... On a motorcycle... Now that would be fun! I am sure your grandfather has some great photos of that trip.

Back in '92 my GF at the time and I rented a Harley Davidson and we went on a 2 week small group tour ride from Calgary to Vancouver and back (1 week each way). It was a lot of fun. So that trip was part of my inspiration / dream of doing it in the US.
Oh yeah! It was him and my grandma, and the motorcycle club (an actual club, ha ha, not a gang) and all their partners. I think this was back in the early '90's, too, so touring must have been quite popular then! Not to say it isn't now, I'm really not sure. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  IRC, it was a 6-week trip. Quite a journey, but they loved every minute!

Yep!  Basically, at the time of the recording, there were less than about twenty people from this community who spoke this particular dialect fluently, so a professor of mine (also a Haida) recorded about eight hours of audio on-site; great content, but lots of interference of many sorts.  About a decade later when I got involved, we took the recordings and made them into a couple educational/archival CDs.  To my knowledge, our projected has been archived in a couple places in Ottawa (where we worked), and out in BC, where the associated museum/archive library is.  It was a rather unusual way of learning mastering, but definitely something that I thought was really cool to be involved with.  It really showed how so much culture often vanishes in the modern world before anyone even realizes it these days.
Ah ok, makes sense, and thank goodness for that, and thank you for helping in the preservation of it.

And yes so true with vanishing cultures. On a side note, scientists say that undiscovered species of plants and insects go extinct every day due to deforestation in the rainforests of Indonesia and the Amazon. It's also by accident or blind luck that they find new species of them in the rainforests of Borneo.

Oh yeah! It was him and my grandma, and the motorcycle club (an actual club, ha ha, not a gang) and all their partners. I think this was back in the early '90's, too, so touring must have been quite popular then! Not to say it isn't now, I'm really not sure. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  IRC, it was a 6-week trip. Quite a journey, but they loved every minute!
LOL... Gang  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Great. Now I feel old LOL 

Ha ha, not my intent at all! I actually didn't realize how old I was when that had happened until I started remembering details. I dated myself! :lol:
No it's not that at all. I got the gist of it when I first read it. It just sounded cute in my head  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ah ok, makes sense, and thank goodness for that, and thank you for helping in the preservation of it.

And yes so true with vanishing cultures. On a side note, scientists say that undiscovered species of plants and insects go extinct every day due to deforestation in the rainforests of Indonesia and the Amazon. It's also by accident or blind luck that they find new species of them in the rainforests of Borneo.
I was happy to assist, especially after learning about their culture :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And it really amazes me how much has actually gone extinct; both recently, and long ago. A few weeks back, I learned of subspecies of lions that roamed parts of ancient France and Spain; things were quite different, it seems.  There's so much that's probably come and gone without ever being discovered, and it's a shame that it's often too late, like when many of these plants or insects are learned of in the rainforests lately. 

Really, if I don't get to Iceland at some point in my life ... man, I don't even know. I don't want to think about that possibility.

My top hitlist would be:
1. Iceland
2. Austria
3. Estonia
4. Latvia
5. Finland. 

In general northern Europe.

Back