Pressing your loose shadows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@ohsailor since you asked about the palette, it came today! Iwas so confused because it came from china I thought one of my relatives sent me something (...China...problems.) And it came about a week and a half earlier than I was expecting tbh.

crappy photos because this is not a reveal and idc lol

KgXq0TMl.jpg

XiymWj3l.jpg

HVc6rwvl.jpg

tt9NwMLl.jpg

wow that last one makes my hand look giant. XD it's very tiny but luxe feeling. It's about half a centimeter less in height than the naked palette, but sleek and classy. The front is matted, and you can definitely decorate it with your own thing if you want... like I definitely would do if I got all of Shiro's pokemon eyeshadows >.>

And I think it's a good addition to have along with a magnetic palette, so you can swap out the ones you like into the palette. I think I'd definitely get overwhelmed with a bunch of these. otoh, they're VERY NICE and would be nice for giving palettes you pressed yourself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

tl;dr looks nice, would repurchase (probably will)

I cannot get the hang of pressing my shadows. I've got everything you need but it is so time consuming and the final product is good but not great. I've tried on 3 separate times now and it's so frustrating. I think I just need to get better at applying loose shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:
@, I have that one too! I got it cheap off Ebay, like $3 or something absurd!! Works pretty well, but I am going to see if the pans will stick in my prettier MiniMint one :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Really! I paid like $6, but they are all about that much on Amazon and Ebay now. The cheaper ones I mentioned before I think are 15mm pans, so good for 1/8tsp... I might order some of those next. But I have a bunch of 1/4tsp shadows I want to press so this works out :3

Over winter break I would like to press my shadows that I don't use as often so they are taking up less space. Plus Id rather test on those than on ones I actually like in case I ruin them.

I just have way too many in jars that it's taking up too much space. Plus I could make palettes of each collection and decorate it all cute and what not lol

Minimint released some new palettes last night. Almost out of reflex I ordered more lol. I actually need more tins though so I better get on that!

Minimint released some new palettes last night. Almost out of reflex I ordered more lol. I actually need more tins though so I better get on that!
So far, I've found one that I liked and was still in stock out of the past few months I've been checking. I hope I can snag one or two more designs I like soon.

What's the preservative you're suppose to use? I haven't ordered any fractioned coconut oil yet... so I can't start anyway. I should probably buy rubbing alcohol too haha

So far, I've found one that I liked and was still in stock out of the past few months I've been checking. I hope I can snag one or two more designs I like soon.
I tend to just randomly check and get lucky. I've ordered five so far, two are on the way, and one is a gift. So out of the ones I have 3 out of 4 are floral. Lol I told myself after the last purchase no more florals. I'm hoping a custom option will be available for the 4 x 6 I really want a galaxy/space one!

I tend to just randomly check and get lucky. I've ordered five so far, two are on the way, and one is a gift. So out of the ones I have 3 out of 4 are floral. Lol I told myself after the last purchase no more florals. I'm hoping a custom option will be available for the 4 x 6 I really want a galaxy/space one!
That's my problem, I don't like her floral designs lol. The one I got has some flowers on it, but it doesn't seem old lady-ish? That's just how most of them seem to me, either made for someone younger, or for someone older than me. I much prefer Book of Shadows patterns over MiniMintPalette's.

What's the preservative you're suppose to use? I haven't ordered any fractioned coconut oil yet... so I can't start anyway. I should probably buy rubbing alcohol too haha
It depends. You can use a few different ones, but I find the binder made by TKB Trading makes all my pressed shadows hard as a rock and unusable. So I switched to fractionated coconut oil, and it's a much nicer consistency. For the alcohol when you sanitize the pans, 90% will obviously dry quickly, but I have heard that it evaporates so fast, that it doesn't have time to sterilize? And 70% just needs to have time to completely dry before you put the shadow mixture into it, otherwise the pans can rust.

It depends. You can use a few different ones, but I find the binder made by TKB Trading makes all my pressed shadows hard as a rock and unusable. So I switched to fractionated coconut oil, and it's a much nicer consistency. For the alcohol when you sanitize the pans, 90% will obviously dry quickly, but I have heard that it evaporates so fast, that it doesn't have time to sterilize? And 70% just needs to have time to completely dry before you put the shadow mixture into it, otherwise the pans can rust.
I thought you were supposed to use a preservative as well as the oil? If it's just the oil, I can buy the alcohol at Rite Aid and I'm pretty much set :3

I thought you were supposed to use a preservative as well as the oil? If it's just the oil, I can buy the alcohol at Rite Aid and I'm pretty much set :3
You are supposed to use a preservative, but I haven't bought any yet. I believe it's a 1-2% ratio preservative added to your binder.

Dr. Adorable is a great place for oils. Organic and decent quality and price. They are on both eBay and Amazon. I believe Trader Joes/Whole Foods may have FCO. Some people use jojoba to press. I have never pressed but can't wait to try! I have tiny sample vials which fit 1 ml. It sounds like you only need a few drops for pressing. I have FCO, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and macademia oil. I added some Vit e to the last two as a preservative. Again, not motivated by profit or anything, just trying to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing. I think using FCO the press would last longer since FCO is so inert and has an undetermined shelf life. Other oils like jojoba are a lot more nutrient rich. These oils are know as carrier oils. I learned about them when I started with essential oils a few months ago. Jojoba has a pretty long shelf life as well, but not as long as FCO.

I pressed 3 eyeshadows! The one the worked the least well has the smallest amount of shimmer. The other two are perfect.

I just ordered the prettiest custom palette from Minimint in the new 4 x 6 size. I can't wait to see it and show everyone!

Back