Pressing your loose shadows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I ordered the coconut oil per @@Kelly Silva's recommendation, and it arrived. I have to go out and buy the rubbing alcohol but i saw the 70% at the grocery store last week (huge bottle!) for like $2 so that's not a problem.

I've also pulled out a sephora palette recently, which was actually one of the first things I'd EVER bought at sephora:

tumblr_lnaopohEVI1qzavy1.jpg

If you recognize it, you'll have an idea just how old it is. XD Anyway, I'm okay with using the eyeshadow still, but the lip stuff is grossing me out and i really hate gloss/creme formula so I'm just scooping all of them out and cleaning the pans. Since it actually comes with a magnetic compact, it's a great way to start test pressing some eyeshadows. I have some NYX/Starlooks opened loose shadows I'll try first before I murder my indie stuff XD

But wow super roundabout, the backs say they hold quite a bit of eyeshadow, which actually surprised me. They look about 1/3rd the size of the quarter palette I bought above.

I also was looking at some more videos, and this one doesn't even mention an additional binding agent:

I'd be interested in trying that...curious.

Anyway, I'll take pictures and let you ladies know how it goes.

I've never made my own eyeshadows but she's basically just pressing pigment. You can use it that way but I don't think it would have great lasting power without a binder. I saw a blog post someone posted on reddit that included around 4 common binders that generally get added. Have you looked into th diy makeup thread on reddit?

I've never made my own eyeshadows but she's basically just pressing pigment. You can use it that way but I don't think it would have great lasting power without a binder. I saw a blog post someone posted on reddit that included around 4 common binders that generally get added. Have you looked into th diy makeup thread on reddit?
I don't really go on Reddit because I tend not to like the culture/type of personalities it draws, and I don't find it very intuitive to use most of the time. 

I have the coconut oil, and I know glycerin is used but is discouraged now. If you know the other two, I'd think we'd all appreciate it here. I  know TKB makes one but I'm not sure what it's made of.

I don't really go on Reddit because I tend not to like the culture/type of personalities it draws, and I don't find it very intuitive to use most of the time.

I have the coconut oil, and I know glycerin is used but is discouraged now. If you know the other two, I'd think we'd all appreciate it here. I know TKB makes one but I'm not sure what it's made of.
Besides the liquid binder if you are pressing just pigments you also need powder binder. I copied this from a blog but I don't think we can link blogs? Not too sure of all the rules...

Some Ingredients Your Eyeshadows SHOULD Contain

These are just a couple of common ingredients, it does not cover every ingredient possibly used for binders.

Ingredients for Adhesion

Makes your eyeshadows stick to your skin instead of flying all over the place

Carnauba Wax

Magnesium Stearate

Magnesium Myristate

Lauroyl Lysine

Ingredients for Glide

Makes it glide on smoothly on your skin...helps reduce the drag from ingredients that add adhesion

Silica/Silicon Dioxide (helps they colour stay on better too. Some micas such as TKB's Crucible collection already come with it, so having this is not an indicator that the product is not repackaged. However, the product will stick a bit better than the products without it)

Silk powder (not vegan)

Micronaspheres

@@Verorenee thanks, quite helpful! And you can link to blogs as long as it's not your own, which is considered self-promotion

And i checked the ingredients of some of the ones I was thinking about pressing and some of them have the listed ingredients and some don't. I guess it's a matter of testing what works then

Yes these add ins are more for making your own and adding to Micas, for generally pressing premade indies you most likely just need the liquid binder :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried pressing indie shadows without a binder just to see what happens, it totally crumbles. So definitely use a binder!

I've been pressing loose shadows and micas for awhile now and have a method I like to use that works for me. I read that a few of you use the TKB Trading Press It Binder and do not like it, but I haven't had a problem with it. The way I press my shadows is to take a 26mm pan (I believe) and put a few drops of 90% alcohol in the bottom- just enough to cover the bottom. I then place 4 drops of the binder in the pan and mix the two together. The two products have a different viscosity so they won't want to mix perfectly, but as long as there isn't a big drop of binder in the middle of the pan, you're good. I then place one scoop (I buy the small scoops from TKB) of product in the pan and mix it around with the alcohol/binder mixture. It will be crumbly, but that's okay. From there on out I use ONLY alcohol to finish the rest of the pan. Alternate putting a scoop in and mixing that with alcohol to get a paste-like concoction. When I feel I have enough product in the pan to make one eye shadow (it takes way more loose powder than you would think), I drop the pan a few times on the table to release any air bubbles. After it has dried partially, I take a quarter and a piece of fabric or paper towel and press, and voila! A pressed shadow! 

As far as storage goes, I use different palettes. Coastal Scents, TKB Trading, Z Palettes, various Etsy sellers and even homemade ones will do that trick. The one pictured below is from Coastal Scents and it holds 28 pans.

I use the bead storage containers from the craft store to store my loose mica powders from TKB Trading

Most of these colors are just mica from TKB Trading but some of them are custom colors, some are pressed glitter and some are NYX Ultra Pearl Mania loose shadows. If you want to know the name of any of them just ask me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back