Products that you think are overhyped?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that certain discontinued MAC eyeshadows are overrated, like you HAVE to buy them, I would NEVER pay $150 for a eyeshadow simply just to HAVE it. I have only 4 MAC eyeshadows, but I adore their piggies because I can buy samples from people and try out the colors for $3.00 instead of paying $18.50 for a whole jar. Depotted, I can't tell the difference between my MAC eyeshadows and Milani sometimes.

Smashbox primer $30 when I can get some moisterizer that does the same. plus it is to heavy, feel like grease.

Great Lash Mascara - I think it's hyped in magazines so celebrities and MU artists can impress us with how down to earth they are - with their $2000 makeup bags.

Most Bobbi Brown products - and her sneaky way of convincing us we need to buy two blushes

Laura Mercier concealer

Benetint on lips or cheek - although it IS lovely on the nipples where God intended it to be

Smashbox primer - pretty useless

Smith's Rosebud Salve - basic lip balm with a touch of color

hi folks, i'm new to the forum, but not to cosmetic land

let's see, i have yet to purchase anything from the following lines that i have not returned in disgust

• MAC (yucky foundations)
  • DuWop (overpriced very dull products)
  • Benefit (and i really want to like these ladies, i've known them since they opened their first shop in san francisco)
however, i am currently digging on most of jane iredale and laura mercier products.
i'm very glad to have found this place. i don't mind spending some cash on makeup (i have rosacea) but i like to do some serious research first. I appreciate you all being here.

cheryl

iagree.gif
Sorry but I agree about Mac, Estee lauder and Clinque.

Someone has FINALLY mentioned Bobbi Brown! Her jars of eye gels dry out so quickly and MAC's are much better and cheaper. Also her line is way over-priced. MAC's foundation may be too heavy for some of you young chicks, but I like it! But need a waterproof mascara so I don't look like a raccoon during---uhm--- romantic rondezous..

I second the Bobbi Brown comment. I have spent so much money on those damn shimmerbricks only to have the compacts break, the makeup falling out or getting crushed. Besides, the pigments are substandard and look artificial in sunlight.

I also recieved a sample of philosophy's hope in a jar and found that it was no better than lubriderm and that it smells like a wet dog.

The only product I found from benefit that actually performed up to my expectations was FY-eye which I'm not even sure if they make it anymore.

MAC mascara - had me all red around the eyes in about two days. And I normally have no reaction to any other make up.

Bobbi Brown lip gloss/conditioner - in a little jar. Smells so bad that I can't get myself to put it on the lips. Yuck!

Originally Posted by realmccoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif The only product I found from benefit that actually performed up to my expectations was FY-eye which I'm not even sure if they make it anymore. They do still make it, I recieved a jar in the mail today
smile.gif

MAC foundation and concealer - yay!

MAC brushes - if one wants the best makeup brushes, try Shu Uemura, Paula Dorf & Kevyn Aucoin.

rotfl.gif
So true!
add_wegbrech.gif

Originally Posted by newyorlatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif ... Covergirl. They should actually test their foundations and powders on the living instead of the dead for color matches that are flattering....

I'm on the Benefit is Bad Bandwagon, though I do like Benetint. The Lemon-Aide is the worst ever!
I can't believe Maybelline's Great Lash is so overhyped. The stuff is terrible.

Laura Mercier, especially her tinted moisturizer.

Agree that Philosophy is more fluff than substance.

i posted earlier, but i don't think this can be overstated

benefit bites

i had my first rosacea outbreak after a benefit 'makeover' although it looked flattering, i've often referred to it as a 'bend-over' because of the price tag.....i should have sent them the dermatologist bill and scripts as well as their overpriced makeup

sorry, feelin' feisty!

Bare Escentuals & Jane Iredale foundations. I love the idea of natural, good for your skin makeup, but neither provide as much coverage or have as much color selection as regular cosmetics.

Clinique, especially the skincare - way overhyped and totally not worth it!

Even though I'm a huge BE fan, I think there are plenty of companies just as good out there and people don't know about them because all they know is BE. It's great for my skin, but it's so expensive that a lot of people will never discover MMU because they think it's their only choice. So yes, BE is overhyped as well.

Clinique's three step skin care - the products I was advised to use dried out my skin really badly and my psoriasis threatened to start in my face. As for their Dramatically Different moisturiser - nothing dramatic about that.

Maybelline's Great Lash mascara - I've never understood the attraction to this.

I also think (and many won't agree with me) that L'Oreal's Telescopic mascara has been hyped. I bought this and it's done nothing but clump, so I ended up giving it to a friend who really liked it.

I just thought of another, although this isn't technically makeup. Anastasia's brow shaping. I haven't gotten the kits, but when you go in for waxing, they just use the stencils the way you would at home. No thanks.

Also, Clinique skincare. None of it's worked for me, although their body scrub is very nice.

benefit i just dont get it. they reaaaly dont have any thing yet the m/a's there are always jumping up and down with joy!!!! lol

Back