Questions for working Makeup Artists

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

Joined
Feb 13, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a full time Job doing something a whole lot different than Makeup Artistry, but i did take a night course for make up artistry because I've always had a passion for it. I don't want to quit my full time job, it is a good stable job. I want to do make up on the side, one because i love doing makeup and making people pretty on the outside. I know it takes a while to get started, so my question is, How much should i expect as income for a part time makeup artist just getting started? and also a part-time makeup artist who is stable? I one day hope to quit my full time job as soon so I can do makeup full time (I know it will take years, that's why I want to keep my full time job for now) and I hope to focus on bridal make-up. I don't ever plan on moving to Hollywood and working for celebrities because i know realistically that doesn't happen for most makeup artists. I just mean a regular city, doing regular bridal makeup? (I also know it all depends on the city too) 

If anyone can give me an example of what a regular part-time makeup artist makes a month? or a job? If you know anyone who is a part-time makeup artist, or a stay at home mom that does that on the side, and you know a little about their income that would be great! Any examples would help!

 
Joined
Sep 16, 2011
Messages
94
Reaction score
5
In truth we can't give you an average in income. This is where you'll need to do your homework and find out how much MUAs make for bridal work in your specific city (as this will vary from place to place). You don't want to undercharge or it'll screw every other MUA over in the process (including yourself in the long run). However, don't overcharge if your skills are still developing. This is something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

Now, though you want to do this part-time, I would say up until that point start getting your portfolio well put together. Work with some photographers in your area on a TF basis (which can help you out in the long run if some of them do wedding photography and can refer you to their clients). Network on your spare time so that when you do decide to pursue this full force you'll have contacts. 

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I agree with ScarletNight also.  Network with your local photographers and do some shoots together for TFP (trade for portfolio/photos) to build up your skills and portfolio/website.  Advertise with those photos for weddings (Craigslist, Wedding Wire, The Knot, etc.) and start doing those bridal parties!

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I'm just starting out also. My questions are: Do you have to be certified to do Freelance Makeup? Can you do makeup and charge if you are only Self-taught? I took a 2 week course back in 1987 and did get Certified back then, but that was a long time ago. I just recently started practicing for free at my local salon and was asked if I would be working there soon. I plan on enrolling in QC Makeup Academy as soon as I am financially able.But, until then I would like to know these things. Please Help!!!!?

 

makeupbyomar

Professional Make-up Artist
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
1,924
Reaction score
533
Location
Toronto, ON
The short answer is No. However, some US States require that you have a license to practice make-up. I would inquire about that in your jurisdiction. Yeah, '87 was a long time ago. At least you're upgrading your skill sets, and practicing in the mean time. So far you're on the right track.

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I'm just starting out also. My questions are: Do you have to be certified to do Freelance Makeup? Can you do makeup and charge if you are only Self-taught? I took a 2 week course back in 1987 and did get Certified back then, but that was a long time ago. I just recently started practicing for free at my local salon and was asked if I would be working there soon. I plan on enrolling in QC Makeup Academy as soon as I am financially able.But, until then I would like to know these things. Please Help!!!!?

 

makeupbyomar

Professional Make-up Artist
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
1,924
Reaction score
533
Location
Toronto, ON
... Right, just read your second question. Don't work for free. if you're just getting back into the game, at least charge a kit fee. What you don't want to do is undermine the local make-up artist industry in terms of low-balling. That doesn't serve anyone.

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
How much would you charge for a kit fee? Thanks for your advice. I thought that since I needed the practice, it would be ok to do it for free. I have no problem doing my own makeup but doing it on other people needs practice. What if I put a sign up that says to tip?

 
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
20,866
Reaction score
1,618
Location
USA
Originally Posted by SHORTY68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How much would you charge for a kit fee? Thanks for your advice. I thought that since I needed the practice, it would be ok to do it for free. I have no problem doing my own makeup but doing it on other people needs practice. What if I put a sign up that says to tip?
That's iffy. Some people may find it tacky while others wouldn't have a problem with it.

 

makeupbyomar

Professional Make-up Artist
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
1,924
Reaction score
533
Location
Toronto, ON
I agree with Zadi as well, I've never seen a MUA use a tip sign before. I strongly recommend that you don't use one. As for a kit fee, there is a range, I would inquire what others are charging in your area and charge within that range.

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I just figured cuz clients usually tip their hair stylist. Why wouldn't they tip their Makeup Artist if they're getting the service for free?

 
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
20,866
Reaction score
1,618
Location
USA
Originally Posted by SHORTY68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just figured cuz clients usually tip their hair stylist. Why wouldn't they tip their Makeup Artist if they're getting the service for free?
Ahh, but usually you're paying your hair stylist and you don't see a tip sign on their station or in the salon. It's really up to you but you might lose clients this way since free doesn't imply any type of money exchanged. The best client is one who will tip if you provide excellent service and of course those are the clients you'll want to keep. The ones that don't tip (for your free service) are ones you don't want to keep.

 
Joined
Nov 26, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by chaerrmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a full time Job doing something a whole lot different than Makeup Artistry, but i did take a night course for make up artistry because I've always had a passion for it. I don't want to quit my full time job, it is a good stable job. I want to do make up on the side, one because i love doing makeup and making people pretty on the outside. I know it takes a while to get started, so my question is, How much should i expect as income for a part time makeup artist just getting started? and also a part-time makeup artist who is stable? I one day hope to quit my full time job as soon so I can do makeup full time (I know it will take years, that's why I want to keep my full time job for now) and I hope to focus on bridal make-up. I don't ever plan on moving to Hollywood and working for celebrities because i know realistically that doesn't happen for most makeup artists. I just mean a regular city, doing regular bridal makeup? (I also know it all depends on the city too) 

If anyone can give me an example of what a regular part-time makeup artist makes a month? or a job? If you know anyone who is a part-time makeup artist, or a stay at home mom that does that on the side, and you know a little about their income that would be great! Any examples would help!
the thing is this...

There are lots of talented makeup artists who are broke. And there are lots of mediocre makeup artists that are well employed. You have to be a business person AND a makeup artist if your going to be a free lance artist. If you can find someone to assist, that would be ideal, but going it alone and trying to make it work is nearly impossible, no matter how great you are. A strong set of business skills is an absolute must for any free lancer. If your really trying to do makeup for a living, I would recommend auditioning for one of the lines- you can make a decent hourly wage anywhere between 20-30 per hour, and the work is more consistent. Not to mention you don't have to deal with the stress of running your own business. I have an agency with five artists that work for me, and that's because they do not want to run their own business but still want to be free lance artists. You could find an agency to work for too, but agency owners tend to be extremely picky since it's OUR name on the line. I have enough work to keep 7 artists busy, but I'd rather turn away a little work than to have less than exceptional artists. 

 

makeupbyomar

Professional Make-up Artist
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
1,924
Reaction score
533
Location
Toronto, ON
That is so true. Another thing to consider is that a lot of MUA's have a SO that helps support them. Very few can make a go of it if you're single, especially in lean economic times.

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Well today went really well and I'm hoping the girls will call me to do their makeup for Prom. It was kinda hectic carrying my case from one place to another. It was all a charity event with a Fashion Show and everything. Went from doing the models makeup to doing the girls makeup. I felt like I was at a Runway Show. It was awesome! I had so much fun!

 
Top