Safety & Privacy On The Internet

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone -

I was curious about something. I noticed that a lot of people here post their real name and their photograph. I was wondering - aren't any of you leary about doing that since there are all kinds of *kooks* on the Internet and all? I mean, you never know who to trust or who might turn out to be a stalker or a weirdo. That's why I would never post my name or photo. I'm too scared & nervous about doing that.

Feedback ?

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Well, the fact is that here on MUT there are far less people than in the real world who have your Name, phone number, social security number, address and such. MUT is a small community compared to the real world with real info floating around about you.

The MUT staff members do a superb job in watching the site like a hawk. With such a large staff, we can usually weed out the KOOKS. Remember, people cann view anything unless they signup.

Also, it is prolly very rare that someone give thier FULL real address out. Most of the time people just say "I am from Texas" or something.

You really have nothing to worry about. But I can see your point.

For me, I only stalk girls on Mondays and today is Wednesday, so you're off the hook


 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Thanks Tony! I was curious. I used to read and post on this other fashion-related site and there were tons of trolls & sicko's over there.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Can't these weirdo's (lets say they are computer whiz's) track your computer number - what is it called ISP - something like that - and find out where you live?

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
YOu are talking about IP addresses. On MUT we admins do not allow regular users to see member's IP addresses. To answer your question, no, they cannot find where you live even if they have that IP. Even myself as being the admin of the site having the complete power over MUT cannot see where you live by using your IP address...only the city you are. An IP Adress only reveals the city you are in (SOMETIMES). Sometimes it show neighboring cities.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Oh ok - gotcha.

I guess I'm just naturally cautious/paranoid having grown up in NYC, ya know?


 
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
10,943
Reaction score
0
Well Laura is my real name & i do post pics but other than that, i havent given out any more info about myself. Except that i live in Ireland! I wouldnt post those details on every site i visit but i feel kinda safe on MuT


As Tony said, any sign of a trouble from a member or if we are suspicous of someone then we can ban their IP straight away! No weirdo's on here


 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
i used to think about that, but then i think: do i walk out in public every day? do i see at least 200 new faces every day? yep. it's the same thing to me.

 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
15,991
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Well, the fact is that here on MUT there are far less people than in the real world who have your Name, phone number, social security number, address and such. MUT is a small community compared to the real world with real info floating around about you.
The MUT staff members do a superb job in watching the site like a hawk. With such a large staff, we can usually weed out the KOOKS. Remember, people cann view anything unless they signup.

Also, it is prolly very rare that someone give thier FULL real address out. Most of the time people just say "I am from Texas" or something.

You really have nothing to worry about. But I can see your point.

For me, I only stalk girls on Mondays and today is Wednesday, so you're off the hook


lol but I agree you have nothing to worry about as ong as you don't put your detail info about your self.
My mother, done this stupid thing few weeks ago, she gave her home address to someone she hardly knew online. She almost got rape when the man came visit her house!

Thank God, she wasn't alone when it happen.

Oh well, it's hard being a widow.

 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
0
Oh No Leony, I hope she wasn't hurt? And I hope they got that wacko!!!


Originally Posted by Leony lol but I agree you have nothing to worry about as ong as you don't put your detail info about your self.
My mother, done this stupid thing few weeks ago, she gave her home address to someone she hardly knew online. She almost got rape when the man came visit her house!

Thank God, she wasn't alone when it happen.

Oh well, it's hard being a widow.

 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Amethyst Hi everyone -
I was curious about something. I noticed that a lot of people here post their real name and their photograph. I was wondering - aren't any of you leary about doing that since there are all kinds of *kooks* on the Internet and all? I mean, you never know who to trust or who might turn out to be a stalker or a weirdo. That's why I would never post my name or photo. I'm too scared & nervous about doing that.

Feedback ?

I'm with you, all I've given out is my first name, and posted photos of my eyes only in the FOTD forum -- I figure if someone can recognize my eyes then they must already know me in real life! I've never given a location more specific than a state; if I were to name the school I went to, there are so few women in Computer Science that it wouldn't take a ton of effort to figure out who I was (or to at least narrow it down to 2-3 women in the department!)
Tony has tried to reassure me about posting pictures before but I am still hesitant... I still think that if some psycho stalker was looking for girls, a makeup site would be a good place to start! All a stalker would have to do is sign up for an account, I know there's lots of members registered that rarely post, how do we know they're not just reading threads for who knows what reason? Maybe posting on occasion to keep up appearances?

And as a random side note, hubby feels the same way -- the other day he came home and saw my digital camera hooked up to the computer and said:

"What were you taking pictures of?"

"My makeup"

"Did you post the pictures online?"

"Just my eyes"

[obviously relieved] "Good!"

lol

Anyways, I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry -- everyone on here has still been nice to me even though I don't post pictures so as long as they continue, I will stay!


 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Naturally As long as I've been "online" ..that thought has never come to mind actually. Gosh ..you can have a stalker follow you just because you were at the same grocery store for that matter. Yep, that's why I always have my pepper spray in hand when I'm walking somewhere alone!
There's always enough threats in this world without having to go look for them ... just as there are things you can do to protect yourself in real life, you can protect yourself online! Or at least that's how I think, maybe I am just paranoid
 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
15,067
Reaction score
2
I tend to lean towards the majority here and feel like it's pretty safe but then again reading others view points also makes me a little paranoid, too.


Leony, i'm sorry to hear that happened and hope your mom is okay.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
I agree with you. I take steps to protect myself in real life, in fact, I'm very much alert. But sometimes online, you don't have any "real protection" - so I feel you should/can only reveal so much. Hence, my initial inquiry about posting.


(p.s. and not all wacko's in this world are men - lol)

Originally Posted by girl_geek Yep, that's why I always have my pepper spray in hand when I'm walking somewhere alone!
There's always enough threats in this world without having to go look for them ... just as there are things you can do to protect yourself in real life, you can protect yourself online! Or at least that's how I think, maybe I am just paranoid
 
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
2,103
Reaction score
0
Leony - sorry about your Mom.

I think this site is pretty safe unless of course you consider me stalking Trisha for tips!

On a more serious note, would I post a photo here - absolutely! (I will in the near future once I get a digicam.) I think one has to be careful and it really depends on the site.

 
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
28,176
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Tony(admin) For me, I only stalk girls on Mondays and today is Wednesday, so you're off the hook
I thought you only stalked the mods. Darn... here I thought we were special.

Like Tony said, part of being a mod is watching MUT for sickos, trolls or unwanted guests. I feel pretty safe posting details here about my life. I take the proper precautions with personal stuff... I shred any piece of mail that has my SS# or more personal information. I am more scared of identity theft since we learn so much about it at the Bank I work at.

 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
15,991
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by suziqq322 Oh No Leony, I hope she wasn't hurt? And I hope they got that wacko!!!
Originally Posted by Laura Wow thats scary Leony.. im glad she's ok
Originally Posted by Little_Lisa Leony, i'm sorry to hear that happened and hope your mom is okay. Originally Posted by phoenix461 Leony - sorry about your Mom. Thanks girls, she's okay, just a bit of shock .According to my little brother, she has been scrubbing her skin hard every time she takes a shower.

I asked her to report it to the police; I hope she'll do that.

Anyway, someone has to learn something to be more careful next time...

 
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
10,943
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by phoenix461 I think this site is pretty safe unless of course you consider me stalking Trisha for tips! Post of the month award goes to Phoenix461! LMAO
 

Latest posts

Top