Sample Society April 2015 - Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's up on my dashboard.

Benefit Cosmetics the POREfessional sample

Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil VOC

Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream Fragrance Sample

Mt. Sapola Lavender-Chamomile Lotion Sample

Illume Tonka Noir Sample Tin- SS

Jane Iredale Rio JK Lip Plumper Deluxe- SS

I'm kinda meh about this.  Nothing full-size.  I guess since they're giving us 6 items they figure it makes up for it.  Fragrance samples to me are just junk, though.

Oh, I'm actually excited about this!  I was going to cancel but the bumble and bumble spoiler sucked me in.  I HAVE to cancel next month though because I really only meant to do this as a one time deal because I liked the spoilers for last month.  TOO MANY BOXES, haha!

I was going to cancel too but now I'm glad I didn't. I'm trying to cut back on the boxes too so this was on my list to cancel but maybe I'll hang on a bit longer. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I just checked and my account doesn't show the box yet. It just says shipping will start 4/6 (today) but now box content yet.

Thanks for posting your Dashboard MermaidH2, mine is not updated yet. I've only been with SS for two months now, this is only my second box....my box seems to ship out later than everyone else's. I'm glad to be getting the Benefit POREfessional, as I've been wanting to try it but I'm trying not to buy any products outside of my regular subscriptions. I have too much stuff I need to use up at the moment. I already have the Marc Jacobs so not thrilled about it, but know I like it. Everything else I'm happy to try, as none of them I've had any experience with, which is kind of why I subscribed in the first place. I do need to pair down my subs, dumped one this month and thinking of dumping BirchBox next as I've been seriously underwhelmed by them. 

We should be able to see our april box products on our dashboard tomorrow, right? 
OOOO mine is up now. It is showing 6 items.

• Benefit Cosmetics the POREfessional sample

[*]

Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil VOC

• Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream Fragrance Sample

• Mt. Sapola Lavender-Chamomile Lotion Sample

• Illume Tonka Noir Sample Tin- SS

• Jane Iredale Rio JK Lip Plumper Deluxe- 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually really excited about this box. Once again, Sample Society continues to be the only box that I get excited about, and use up every sample.

The Porefessional is good, I've tried it before, and I love the Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream perfume - I was thinking of buying a full-size, so it's great to get a little sample. I like hair oils, so I'm sure the B&B will be good, and I always love getting any body lotion - especially herbal scents. The little candle is a nice touch for a bonus 6th item - I like candles but haven't bought one in ages.

I'm most excited about the Jane Iredale - I have never tried her products, but always hear good things. I tried to get another of her lip products from Birchbox this month, but it was sold out by the time I got my sample choice. I'm actually really happy that I get a similar product - I may even like this one better, depending on the shade ...

I just got shipping notification. I'm not logging in to see the content because I want it to be a surprise. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Hopefully it will get here soon!

I got my shipping notification as well, and it will be here tomorrow. Wow that's quick! Excited to get this box and try everything out.

It's here!

IMG_5318.JPG

But everything is tiny whaaaa!

IMG_5319.JPG

Sizes/thoughts:

• Jane Iredale just kissed lip plumper in rio (it's the only shade listed in the book so let us know if you get another shade), no size on this. It's the same size as the other Jane Iredale lip items I've received from Sample Society.  I've found a good portion of the product in the bottom of the tube well after I thought it was finished. I scooped it out and was able to get a ton more use from it. Rio is kind of a, I dunno, rosewood brownish color. And it def. has something in it that makes your lips tingle. Normally I'm excited about new lip products but this one is a little meh to me. I feel like it really makes all the lines and wrinkles on my lips very pronounced. But that might be because I'm used to wearing glosses/balms and this is more like a matte-r lipstick to me.
  • The POREfessional, standard Benefit size: .1 oz. meh not super exciting, this just came in last months' PopSugar box and I'll use this and like it, but I JUST got this sample so I'm not over the moon about it.
  • Mar Jacobs Daisy Dream, .04 oz, I don't mind perfume samples and Marc Jacobs daisy perfume are among my favorites but I sorta feel like you could pick this up at Sephora any day. Like the benefit, I'll use it and like it but not over the moon about it.
  • Illume Tonka Noir candle, 1 oz, 10 hour burn time.  This smells good! It seems larger than other illume candles Sample Society has sent out but it's wider and shorter which might help the wax pool and have a stronger scent (I don't find soy candles super strong throw). I'm always excited about a candle and this one seems like it would be perfect for a bathroom or small area.  
  • Bumble and Bumble hairdresser's invisible oil. .07 oz, I probably won't use this, even though I know fine hair can use oils, I just avoid them since they're usually too greasy for my hair.
  • Mt. Sapola Lavender Chamomile body lotion, .6 oz, whaaa why is this sample soooo tiny!  I like the smell and texture but it's probably enough lotion for a few applications on your hands only. I usually use lavender lotions on my hands at night before I go to sleep but c'mon they couldn't have put this in a tube and made it at least 1 oz?
All in all these are not bad products I like nearly all of them, but I wish they were a bit BIGGER!

Very disappointed this month. I could go to my local department store and get all of this stuff for free. Got my box today and everything is TINY. Nothing full sized or even really good for multiple uses. The B&B oil will be good for maybe one use. The lotion wouldn't even cover one arm and it's supposed to be a body lotion? Ugh. Might cancel this one. No wonder there weren't many early spoilers...half of the subscribers would have canceled!

When I opened the lipstick and saw the color. Ugh! I thought, I am glad this is so small. It is funny. This is one of those colors, I would never ever buy because it is so ugly in the tube... but ladies, you have to try it. It is actually very flattering on. Mind you, I do have Dark brown hair, blue eyes and a slightly peachy pale complexion. I go for a natural no make up look with my make up. This color will be great for that. 

Even if it isn't a good color for you, you do get to see if you like the Jane Iredale Just Kissed lipstick. I am going to say that is a yes too. 

. I am sure the "value" of the box is not that high this month. That is ok because the value is not why I get the box. 

I get to try sample of products I am curious about. (Porefessional) I get it to try colors and styles I would never choose for myself. (Rio shade of Jane Iredale)  I also get it as a little surprise gift to myself every month. All of the samples are Tiny! I agree with @@sarahtyler,  The candle added that much needed bulk and gift like quality to this months box. 

Curiosity. Check. Out of my comfort zone color. Check. Surprise gift to myself. Check. 

Over all. I am really happy with my box. 

I got my box today and oh my I was very shocked at how teeny tiny the items were. I mean TINY lol. After last months box it is a real let down. This is only my second box, so for those of you that have been with this sub for awhile, is this typical?

I am looking forward to trying the hair oil, as I love hair products. And the candle smells amazing. I knew I would like the perfume, as I so far have loved all the Marc Jacobs perfumes I've tried. I hate lavender so the lotion to me smells awful. And I almost threw out the lippie, it is so tiny! Almost missed it. I don't think this color is very good for spring, but I'll try it.

I have to agree that you could score these tiny samples yourself for free. Here's hoping next month is better.

This is the first month that I was disappointed in my Sample Society box. The lipstick looks awful on me, and everything else is just so small. May better be amazing lol.

I just got my box today and burst out laughing when I saw the sizes of a few of the samples! Especially the hair oil- it is just a foil sample packaged in a tiny perfume sample bottle to make it look more spiffy. I just feel like they really didn't try very hard this month to put together a nice box. I think it is time to bid adieu to sample society...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not cancelling or anything, but I do wish they'd release more spoilers ahead of time (consistently) so I could decided whether or not get a box that month.

I am SO weird you guys, go ahead and call the psych ward, but I liked this box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> *runs and hides*
I do too, I like the brands, product types/mix, scents, colors. Just two things, I don't use hair oils but I am c curious about this product and like this brand. I also wish the lotion was a decent size for a body lotion, 1 oz at least, and in a tube so it's easy to get out of the bottle.  Jar packaging is just the worst for nearly all cosmetics, I HATE getting stuff under my nails.  

@OiiO  LOL! You're not weird! I also really like the brands and products in this month's box. It is the sample sizes and overall value of the box that have me annoyed. Liz over at MSA estimated the value of the box to be around $16. I generally don't get hung up on box values but this one is just so low. The sample sizes are even tiny by birchbox standards. I just feel like there are other subs out there that provide a better overall experience than sample society has been providing lately. Hopefully they will up their game and come out with consistently great boxes in the future...

Back