Sample Society April 2015 - Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: How do I put on the hair oil in a way that doesn't just simply make my hair oily, because I tried it today by rubbing it over my hands and combing them through my hair (which is very thick) and just ended up with quasi-oily spots rather than anything good. 

Question: How do I put on the hair oil in a way that doesn't just simply make my hair oily, because I tried it today by rubbing it over my hands and combing them through my hair (which is very thick) and just ended up with quasi-oily spots rather than anything good. 
That's exactly what you're supposed to do, and I noticed that with this oil it's very easy to use too much, since it's highly concentrated. I used a rice grain, and even that amount was too much for my fine hair.

That's exactly what you're supposed to do, and I noticed that with this oil it's very easy to use too much, since it's highly concentrated. I used a rice grain, and even that amount was too much for my fine hair.
@Burns  I had the exact same thing happen to me with this hair oil! With my other hair oils (Agave, Beauty Protector) I just pour a dime size amount (I have just past shoulder length wavy hair) into my palm, then rubs my palms together to emulsify the oil and to get a thin coating of oil over my palms and fingers. Then I start combing the oil through my wet hair concentrating mostly on the ends first and then with the residual oil on my palms and fingers slowly combing upwards about three fourths of the way towards the roots.

But when I tried out the Bumble & Bumble oil yesterday morning via my usual method I ended up with greasy looking hair. I had to use some dry shampoo to get rid of the grunge look!  I'm going to try the oil out again using a much smaller amount and see how that goes...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used this oil before and it's great but you need VERY little. I put it in wet hair, I find my hair drinks it in but isn't left oily.

My box just got here. I agree with everyone that the samples are tiny with the exception of the candle but I still think this is a great box. One of the better ones I've got from them. The candle is so nice and I love the smell. I look forward to using it. The lavender body lotion is a bit strong for me scent wise but it will work just fine for a hand cream at my desk. I'm also looking forward to trying the hair oil. The Jane Iredale lip plumper in Rio is a good shade for me and feels nice. Overall I'm happy with this box for the price.

Beautybar April 2015.jpg

I'm surprised it's getting so much hate on their FB page. I mean, yeah, it's not a GREAT box, but there have definitely been much worse ones. Maybe it's just because of the value rather than the products.

I'm surprised it's getting so much hate on their FB page. I mean, yeah, it's not a GREAT box, but there have definitely been much worse ones. Maybe it's just because of the value rather than the products.
Wow I hadn't been on their FB page this month, I am also surprised at the hateful comments. I admit I don't think the value equals the price I paid for the box, but as for the products they were things I did want to try, aside from that awful hand cream. Lavender is just not a scent i like, but I don't expect I'll love every product. This is only my second box, my first one was really awesome. I have bought a few of their older boxes online and have enjoyed them. I am just hoping next month is better. 

I liked the box. At first I was like "Aww, everything looks so small!" and then I realized the brands were all so nice, I loved the candle SO MUCH I bought a bigger size in the same scent, the Jane Iredale mini lipstick is a good color for me and I adore tiny lipstick samples like this because you can stick them ANYWHERE and be able to reapply even without a purse.  So those make it for me.

The Hair oil... meh. I have super fine, super thin hair and oils just make me look like I stuck my head in a jar of crisco. I'll use it only on my split ends. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm allergic to lavender and that lotion is POWERFUL! I didn't even have to open the box for my throat to swell! 

I hate perfume samples but Marc Jacobs makes my favorite perfumes ever, so this one got a pass.

So, in the end, I liked my box. First impression wasn't too good but after digging through it all, it was pretty perfect.

I'm allergic to lavender and that lotion is POWERFUL! I didn't even have to open the box for my throat to swell! 
I am sorry you are allergic. I have many allergies. Thankfully Lavender is not one of them.

I have used 100% lavender oil daily in my bath/shower as a natural aromatherapy anxiety treatment.

This lotion does seem very potent. It must have A LOT of lavender in it. 

I used to hate the smell of lavender. After using it religiously for about 3-6 months, I really started to like the smell.

As an interesting tidbit, I read that the 100% oil keeps you from getting poison ivy. I think it must be true. I  moved (about 2 yrs ago ) to an area with poison ivy. I garden and came into direct contact with it on many occasions. All while using lavender oil. Never got it. There were a few times it looked like I had started a rash when I came home but by morning it was gone. I recently ran out and hadn't restocked. I pulled out my gardening stuff about a week ago, to see what I needed since I will start planting soon. I now, have a bad case of poison ivy. I got it, just from touching my old gardening gloves. I am now taking steroids for it. 

Anyway. I do find Lavender oil to be an effective  natural anxiety treatment. For the ladies, that are not allergic. You might taking a good whiff of the lotion while putting a little on every morning for a week. Decide in a week, if it made any difference for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They always put a spoiler for the following month's box on the Allure Daily Beauty Reporter How to win this months Sample Society box article. In past months, it has posted between the 19th and the 27th. Every day since the 19th, I have been stalking that column. Sigh. No spoiler/Win a box article yet :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Maybe tomorrow.  

They always put a spoiler for the following month's box on the Allure Daily Beauty Reporter How to win this months Sample Society box article. In past months, it has posted between the 19th and the 27th. Every day since the 19th, I have been stalking that column. Sigh. No spoiler/Win a box article yet :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Maybe tomorrow.
Excellent info, thank you!!!!

i never imagined that the entire May  glossybox would be spoiled before we even get one eensy weensy May SS spoiler : (.

ok, Maybe  it will post Tuesday.

Back