Secret Santa 2014 input wanted

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Originally Posted by bellatrix42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If sign ups begin November 1 again, it might help if there is a one week sign up time and then three weeks to shop before the shipping time period begins in December. With all the postal delays around the holidays, I had a couple of things that I ordered for my santee literally take weeks to arrive. I ended up having to ship at the very end of the two week shipping period in December, and then my package that I sent with 2 day priority shipping took over a week to arrive in my santee's town. It was really frustrating, and an extra week to shop in November might help out.

THIS.  I ordered something for my Santee right after she posted about it (not a thing on her list but the way she talked about it!) and since it had to come from the UK it took aaaages!  I had everything else ready to go and was shipping out Christmas Eve!  Of course, she didn't mind- and I used an elf, but I felt so bad!

Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If I remember correctly, I think this last year the wish list was done away with because in previous years people were disappointed that they didn't get exactly what was on their list.  It's hard to find a balance, I guess

That's true- I dunno, for me, it sounds silly to sign up for a secret swap if you are going to be upset that you didn't get exactly what you wanted.  If you want a very specific product, buy it yourself?  Part of what I love is getting something I wouldn't have bought myself and seeing what people come up with!

Going on with the tea thing- it feels constructive to be like "I love tea, but I prefer black over green!" or something like that- still specific enough, but not "I want the Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice"!

So maybe a wishlist with some specifics but also a message saying that the wishlist is a guide for your santa, not a required shopping list.  

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So maybe a wishlist with some specifics but also a message saying that the wishlist is a guide for your santa, not a required shopping list.  

I agree with this! 

totally agree with upping the amount of time that one is required to be a member - i guess it just irks me when people join and post a bunch in a short amount of time just to get in on the fun.

totally agree with upping the amount of time that one is required to be a member - i guess it just irks me when people join and post a bunch in a short amount of time just to get in on the fun.
I agree! We did meet some nice ladies and some did stick around on MUT. I would imagine it would be hard to get someone who has been on MUT for a very short period of time where all their posts are "I agree!" Or "nice box!" And that's it. Re: wishlist -- I liked when people would say what the actually wanted because it served as a good departure point into thinking about *other* things they may like.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree! We did meet some nice ladies and some did stick around on MUT. I would imagine it would be hard to get someone who has been on MUT for a very short period of time where all their posts are "I agree!" Or "nice box!" And that's it.

Re: wishlist -- I liked when people would say what the actually wanted because it served as a good departure point into thinking about *other* things they may like.
I tried to do a  happy medium with the wishlist - I don't know if my Secret Santa liked it - but I was both specific and vague, I listed some specific polishes I had been eyeing and then also a general description of brands i've never tried, that I like glitters,etc. I think that helps cater to both the non-stressed shoppers, and the shoppers who like a little more security/certainty.

I know this sounds like it would be more work for you @zadidoll but is there anyway that next year we could tier the spending limits? I know that a lot of us(including myself) spent WAY over the budget amount and I think that made people a little uncomfortable when they stayed close to the budget amount. Have people pick and include in their sign up the spending amount that they are willing to go to and then match them up with others in that tier.

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I know this sounds like it would be more work for you @zadidoll but is there anyway that next year we could tier the spending limits? I know that a lot of us(including myself) spent WAY over the budget amount and I think that made people a little uncomfortable when they stayed close to the budget amount. Have people pick and include in their sign up the spending amount that they are willing to go to and then match them up with others in that tier.

It would require a lot of work since this year we had 107 participants since I typically randomize members with each other. HOWEVER I would consider this but I want to see what the thoughts are of people on this. Possibly another way is to do it similar to the nails Secret Santa vs main Secret Santa and have two different "main" Secret Santas - one for those who don't mind spending more than $25 and one for those on a budget.

I personally don't mind it the way it is. I definitely went over on budget, but my SS deserved it and I wanted to give her something nice to look forward to since she had been going through a tough time. No idea how much my SS spent on me, I didn't sit there and calculate it in my head, I just enjoyed it.

Also, the actual value of my SS's gift vs how much I actually spent is way different, I had birchbox points, coupons, gift cards, etc. I'm sure a lot of us do that too so I think that's something to take in to account before confining people in to tiers.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I personally don't mind it the way it is. I definitely went over on budget, but my SS deserved it and I wanted to give her something nice to look forward to since she had been going through a tough time. No idea how much my SS spent on me, I didn't sit there and calculate it in my head, I just enjoyed it.

Also, the actual value of my SS's gift vs how much I actually spent is way different, I had birchbox points, coupons, gift cards, etc. I'm sure a lot of us do that too so I think that's something to take in to account before confining people in to tiers.
I agree with you on this because the fact that someone went through all of the hard work to make me a present is priceless. It seemed a few girls mentioned how they were feeling bad because they had stuck close to the budget though and I don't want anyone to feel that their gifts were unworthy.

I personally don't mind it the way it is. I definitely went over on budget, but my SS deserved it and I wanted to give her something nice to look forward to since she had been going through a tough time. No idea how much my SS spent on me, I didn't sit there and calculate it in my head, I just enjoyed it. Also, the actual value of my SS's gift vs how much I actually spent is way different, I had birchbox points, coupons, gift cards, etc. I'm sure a lot of us do that too so I think that's something to take in to account before confining people in to tiers.
There was a lot of trading and raiding of stashes as well! I thought it was fair game to send, say, an Urban Decay liner or Butter London polish and not count it against the limit if you got it via trade for stuff you would never use anyway or if it was something you received in a box that had just been taking up space in your swap stash.

There was a lot of trading and raiding of stashes as well! I thought it was fair game to send, say, an Urban Decay liner or Butter London polish and not count it against the limit if you got it via trade for stuff you would never use anyway or if it was something you received in a box that had just been taking up space in your swap stash.
My Santa absolutely SPOILED me. I took it the same route as Meaganola -- I used the BLITZ promo, pulled things from my stash ... All that. If I could do it over again, I would use my $20 off $50 VIB coupon and buy my Santee even more stuff and technically only be $5 off from the $25 limit. Or... I could be extra naughty if that glitch is still in place for the 3rd year in a row that makes those $15/$20 coupons essentially just gift cards Lol sorry. Main point -- I don't think a tiered system is necessary. As long as you play your cards right, you can do a lot on a budget. I know not everyone is willing to part with their BB points or use their $15 freebie sephora gift card, but it's an option. And hey, we all went into this knowing there *is* a limit and I would think it was unfortunate if someone felt bad that their gift was "only worth $25" when so and so got $xxx worth of stuff. The main point is that someone took the time to creep and shop just for you!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed!  I went over budget on my Santee but not massively- I used a lot of what I had in my stash (and thankfully my Santee has the same affinity for office supplies that I do- I didn't spend a dime there even though she said she loved journals and things to write in.. hoarder alert), traded for some, worked hard to find the best deals on things- and bought a few full price splurge material items.  I think maybe if we even include a rule that doesn't enact say, a spending limit- but more of a spending minimum.  If you say that your minimum spent on items to include in the present has to equal $25 (and I know we use the honor code), but can exceed the $25 minimum, that would be good!  Maybe also to include a line that mentions that no one should expect a box that has over $25 spent on it- would ease minds?

I like that we're talking about this!  I was fairly active before all of SS started this year but I know that I made so many friends out of it (I count you all as my friends.  Fyi.) and love to be able to come home and read through everyone's posts.  Not gonna lie- I still like to stalk some of you just to see how everyone's doing.  I really liked the group participation effort part of it, I guess is what I'm saying.  I love to see people be a part of something- getting the gifts seemed like the icing on the cake (editing in here: I love/loved my SS gift.  I was spoiled rotten.. so so rotten.. I don't want to downplay my Santa at all, because she was awesome and I hope I get her again next year!).  I loved all of us gossiping about what we bought and how we were going to wrap it.. etc.  I feel like adding months onto the front end of when you have to be a part wouldn't be bad, because the community benefits from participation.  (to add to this, I know I haven't been super active recently- so many things going on on the homefront.  Life can settle down now, so that I can hang out with you girls more often.)

Okay.  Wall of text over.

Agreed!  I went over budget on my Santee but not massively- I used a lot of what I had in my stash (and thankfully my Santee has the same affinity for office supplies that I do- I didn't spend a dime there even though she said she loved journals and things to write in.. hoarder alert), traded for some, worked hard to find the best deals on things- and bought a few full price splurge material items.  I think maybe if we even include a rule that doesn't enact say, a spending limit- but more of a spending minimum.  If you say that your minimum spent on items to include in the present has to equal $25 (and I know we use the honor code), but can exceed the $25 minimum, that would be good!  Maybe also to include a line that mentions that no one should expect a box that has over $25 spent on it- would ease minds? I like that we're talking about this!  I was fairly active before all of SS started this year but I know that I made so many friends out of it (I count you all as my friends.  Fyi.) and love to be able to come home and read through everyone's posts.  Not gonna lie- I still like to stalk some of you just to see how everyone's doing.  I really liked the group participation effort part of it, I guess is what I'm saying.  I love to see people be a part of something- getting the gifts seemed like the icing on the cake (editing in here: I love/loved my SS gift.  I was spoiled rotten.. so so rotten.. I don't want to downplay my Santa at all, because she was awesome and I hope I get her again next year!).  I loved all of us gossiping about what we bought and how we were going to wrap it.. etc.  I feel like adding months onto the front end of when you have to be a part wouldn't be bad, because the community benefits from participation.  (to add to this, I know I haven't been super active recently- so many things going on on the homefront.  Life can settle down now, so that I can hang out with you girls more often.) Okay.  Wall of text over.
What you said about easing minds, that was the point I'm trying to make. Maybe a tiered system wouldn't be great but mentioning the minimum and that people aren't expected to go any higher would help ease weary minds.

Part of the reason I want a tiered system is for the girls who didn't have a lot of wiggle room who felt bad and for me because then I could participate in more than one. I wanted to buy something for everyone, but that's not realistic. The nail SS doesn't appeal to me though.

I liked the SS without tiers.  I went over budget but I was happy with it.  I think I could even get more with less money if there was more time to shop. 

I don't like the idea of tiers. As long as the minimum is met, people will be happy. I think everything went well last year.

I agree with everyone on here too! I never expected anything over the $25. Heck I didn't even care if I got anything in the first place! I was having so much fun compiling my gift to my Santee that I forgot about the gift in return. I think most of us are just happy to be participating. Tiers would break up the magic of it all. I made so many friends on this thread that it would be sad not including everyone because if money. Nobody should feel bad so long as everybody knows the rules & is truly there for the magic & excitement of it all. Oh man I've missed you ladies!

I am against the tiers also. I think a big part of the fun was all being on the SS thread talking a million times a day. We would end up dividing the group just because some people are on more of a budget. I want us all to be together 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back