Secret Santa 2014 input wanted

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it, the more opposed to the tier system I am.  My favorite parts of this, in ascending order:

• Watching everyone else open their stuff!
  • The slumber party-ness of the discussion thread!
  • Figuring out how to get the biggest bang for my buck!

And that last one was *really* where I had fun.  I did pay attention to the spending limit because (and this is something else that would be a reason to *not* do the tiers) I had an international Santee.  I fudged greatly on the customs form about the *value* (that is, what I would have spent if I had bought everything at full price.  There were two items in particular that would have put it over the limit value-wise, but one was received in a swap, and the other was a duplicate item received in a subscription box, so I paid nothing for either item) of things, but I *did* stay fairly close to the spending limit due to swaps, things I just *had*, and sales.  Just the customs limit will force a lot of people into the lower tier whether they want to be there or not.  Someone mentioned being interested in the tiers because then they could have been able to have two Santees, and I can see that as being very appealing, but I would be more interested in being able to have two Santees at the lower limit.

I can also see a breakdown in the slumber party feel of things if we break things into two different dollar limits.  I know I would feel weird if I went with one tier and kept seeing people talk about the other tier, regardless of which tier I was in.  It just seems like it could easily devolve into unfortunate cliqueishness without anyone even trying to make that happen.  After all, look at how separate the nail and regular SeSa threads were.  No one was prevented from posting in the regular SeSa thread, but there was almost no crossover unless someone happened to be in both groups.

(And a side note, in case anyone was wondering why I use "SeSa" instead of "SS":  I just don't feel comfortable with using those initials for *anything*.  It's just a habit I got into way back in high school in the '80s, and I just can't shake it.  Or think of anything else when I see it being used.)

The more I think about it, the more opposed to the tier system I am.  My favorite parts of this, in ascending order:
  • Watching everyone else open their stuff!
  • The slumber party-ness of the discussion thread!
  • Figuring out how to get the biggest bang for my buck!
And that last one was *really* where I had fun.  I did pay attention to the spending limit because (and this is something else that would be a reason to *not* do the tiers) I had an international Santee.  I fudged greatly on the customs form about the *value* (that is, what I would have spent if I had bought everything at full price.  There were two items in particular that would have put it over the limit value-wise, but one was received in a swap, and the other was a duplicate item received in a subscription box, so I paid nothing for either item) of things, but I *did* stay fairly close to the spending limit due to swaps, things I just *had*, and sales.  Just the customs limit will force a lot of people into the lower tier whether they want to be there or not.  Someone mentioned being interested in the tiers because then they could have been able to have two Santees, and I can see that as being very appealing, but I would be more interested in being able to have two Santees at the lower limit.   I can also see a breakdown in the slumber party feel of things if we break things into two different dollar limits.  I know I would feel weird if I went with one tier and kept seeing people talk about the other tier, regardless of which tier I was in.  It just seems like it could easily devolve into unfortunate cliqueishness without anyone even trying to make that happen.  After all, look at how separate the nail and regular SeSa threads were.  No one was prevented from posting in the regular SeSa thread, but there was almost no crossover unless someone happened to be in both groups. (And a side note, in case anyone was wondering why I use "SeSa" instead of "SS":  I just don't feel comfortable with using those initials for *anything*.  It's just a habit I got into way back in high school in the '80s, and I just can't shake it.  Or think of anything else when I see it being used.)
Ok. I'm clearly a dork but I have to ask- what other meaning does SS have?

Quote: Originally Posted by angienharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok. I'm clearly a dork but I have to ask- what other meaning does SS have?
If you click the highlighted text (pinkish red) in @meaganola's post it takes you to the link on Wikipedia about it! 

Quote: Originally Posted by angienharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got it. Thanks!
No problem!  I appreciate you being the one to ask, cause I didn't want to!  Then I went back and looked and saw it was clicky text so I was able to get in a little history lesson!  I had no clue!

Yeah, I feel *really* weird about saying, "Hey, that's a Nazi thing," but it's all I can think of when I see those initials.  I honestly thought it was common knowledge, though.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah, I feel *really* weird about saying, "Hey, that's a Nazi thing," but it's all I can think of when I see those initials.  I honestly thought it was common knowledge, though.
I had no idea. I learn something new everyday on MuT.

I agree that there should be some sort of survey/questionnaire/wishlist thing required and that it should be completed by a specific date. At the same time, people shouldn't have the expectation that they are going to get EXACTLY what is on their list. The list/questionnaire/whatever is just a guideline.

I knew but because there are so many other non-offensive, extremely common uses I never thought of us using it as offensive.  (secret service, social security, steamship, steamboat, submarine)

I knew but because there are so many other non-offensive, extremely common uses I never thought of us using it as offensive.  (secret service, social security, steamship, steamboat, submarine)
Same!

I participated in the Nails SS only, and I basically agree with most of what's already been said. I stalked sales, used a few things from my own stash and trades to bulk up her gift. I went over the limit but not by a whole lot and I didn't care. I don't like the idea of a tier system, I think the limit system works fine. I had no expectation of getting anything worth more than the limit and as long as everyone knows that, I think it's fine. For the most part, at least on the nails side, most people were having fun shopping & putting their gifts together. That being said, I do hope we have another nails one this year. I am not a make-up person as much as a nail polish person, so that was great fun!!

Quote: Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was a lot of trading and raiding of stashes as well! I thought it was fair game to send, say, an Urban Decay liner or Butter London polish and not count it against the limit if you got it via trade for stuff you would never use anyway or if it was something you received in a box that had just been taking up space in your swap stash.

Agreed!  I went over budget on my Santee but not massively- I used a lot of what I had in my stash (and thankfully my Santee has the same affinity for office supplies that I do- I didn't spend a dime there even though she said she loved journals and things to write in.. hoarder alert), traded for some, worked hard to find the best deals on things- and bought a few full price splurge material items.  I think maybe if we even include a rule that doesn't enact say, a spending limit- but more of a spending minimum.  If you say that your minimum spent on items to include in the present has to equal $25 (and I know we use the honor code), but can exceed the $25 minimum, that would be good!  Maybe also to include a line that mentions that no one should expect a box that has over $25 spent on it- would ease minds?

I like that we're talking about this!  I was fairly active before all of SS started this year but I know that I made so many friends out of it (I count you all as my friends.  Fyi.) and love to be able to come home and read through everyone's posts.  Not gonna lie- I still like to stalk some of you just to see how everyone's doing.  I really liked the group participation effort part of it, I guess is what I'm saying.  I love to see people be a part of something- getting the gifts seemed like the icing on the cake (editing in here: I love/loved my SS gift.  I was spoiled rotten.. so so rotten.. I don't want to downplay my Santa at all, because she was awesome and I hope I get her again next year!).  I loved all of us gossiping about what we bought and how we were going to wrap it.. etc.  I feel like adding months onto the front end of when you have to be a part wouldn't be bad, because the community benefits from participation.  (to add to this, I know I haven't been super active recently- so many things going on on the homefront.  Life can settle down now, so that I can hang out with you girls more often.)

Okay.  Wall of text over.

All l of this ^^^ I loved being a part of this and I enjoyed the threads so much. I had an amazing SS it would be awesome if she was my SS again. Also I had tons of fun shopping for my santee.

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I liked the SS without tiers.  I went over budget but I was happy with it.  I think I could even get more with less money if there was more time to shop. 
iagree.gif
 I went over budget but I didn't mind, it felt nice to spoil someone.

Quote: Originally Posted by trekkersangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with everyone on here too! I never expected anything over the $25. Heck I didn't even care if I got anything in the first place! I was having so much fun compiling my gift to my Santee that I forgot about the gift in return. I think most of us are just happy to be participating. Tiers would break up the magic of it all. I made so many friends on this thread that it would be sad not including everyone because if money. Nobody should feel bad so long as everybody knows the rules & is truly there for the magic & excitement of it all.

Oh man I've missed you ladies!
iagree.gif

hey there....I'm fairly new to MUT but this is something I would love to do!  There are some AMAZING people on this site who have such generous spirits and are so willing to share information etc...that I actually feel that I've started to make friends.  The thing is - I currently don't live in the USA (though I do have a US shipping address) - and in order for the receiver to get the gift in a timely manner if its at xmas - everything has to leave here by Dec 2!!  Any chance that international secret santas could have a head start on shopping by learning who they get asap?  Preferably in early November - so we can ahem...research (stalk) and learn what would make great gifts.

I suppose I could get around the date issue if I had to buy sending things directly from a online store and then making a more personal package from here...so that whoever is waiting for my gift at least has something to open in a timely manner...

Quote: Originally Posted by dancersmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  hey there....I'm fairly new to MUT but this is something I would love to do!  There are some AMAZING people on this site who have such generous spirits and are so willing to share information etc...that I actually feel that I've started to make friends.  The thing is - I currently don't live in the USA (though I do have a US shipping address) - and in order for the receiver to get the gift in a timely manner if its at xmas - everything has to leave here by Dec 2!!  Any chance that international secret santas could have a head start on shopping by learning who they get asap?  Preferably in early November - so we can ahem...research (stalk) and learn what would make great gifts.

I suppose I could get around the date issue if I had to buy sending things directly from a online store and then making a more personal package from here...so that whoever is waiting for my gift at least has something to open in a timely manner...

I think this year I will reinforce that if they have someone who is international to please make sure it's sent within a timely manner (I'll have to wait for the USPS site to update their calender for those dates).

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think this year I will reinforce that if they have someone who is international to please make sure it's sent within a timely manner (I'll have to wait for the USPS site to update their calender for those dates).
I actually have a USA shipping address...so it won't be a problem for someone who gets me - however for me to forward packages onwards this year - I still had a deadline of Dec 13 - and that was using DHL.  But to be totally honest - the reason I want to join in is the giving.  While I'm sure the receiving is lovely - for me - the idea of making someone happy is what appeals in this arrangement.  Plus I have a Jan birthday so if I get something late it will be like an extra bday pressie which is always lovely!    I just wish I could participate in Xmas in july lol but I totally understand that you have to keep it small and more for the regulars!

I just want to be sure that anyone I am buying for will get their surprises by xmas!

I have to agree that I like it best when we are all together. This group is so great! I would miss you guys if we were split. I would rather do it twice a year than tiered. I do love increased use of tracking elves--that would make it less stressful, and I had such fun doing it for others!

I have to agree that I like it best when we are all together. This group is so great! I would miss you guys if we were split. I would rather do it twice a year than tiered. I do love increased use of tracking elves--that would make it less stressful, and I had such fun doing it for others!
I'm thinking we need a separate thread for the elves so we don't have constant need-an-elf/I'll-be-an-elf posts. Elfing is fun, but it would be easier to keep track of the elves if it was consolidated in one thread.

I'm thinking we need a separate thread for the elves so we don't have constant need-an-elf/I'll-be-an-elf posts. Elfing is fun, but it would be easier to keep track of the elves if it was consolidated in one thread.
Fantastic point!

Just chiming in to say that Iike the idea of the increased member time, required wishlist or possibly a minimum # of posts per week (even 1 or 2) during the Santa period.  I got a great Santee who posted but I felt bad for others who got someone that never posted.  I don't really think the tiers are neccesary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back