Secret Santa for NAILS 2014! - Main Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Zoya Rekha and Ulta Envy today. The Zoya and the dotting tools I used were a gift from my Santa formul8edphrase. I think it might need some glitter.

image.jpg

Got an absolutely adorable cat card in the mail from @ with whimsical nail stickers inside (including unicorns to match my Unicorn nail polish!) - I can't wait to try these out, they're just my style, thank you so much!!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah!! I'm glad they made it. After I shipped out your box I saw them lying on the floor near where I was wrapping and packing and I thought oh crap!! Lol...they were too cute, I hope you enjoy them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Expectations:

uwDoMKQ.jpg

Reality:

eWKwnXdl.jpg

okay it's not actually that bad. I think I'm just not a huge fan of nail art, haha. Also, I've had my stamping set for two yeras and I almost never use it because it's a huge pain.

Maybe try the Elmer's glue as glitter base trick? That way, if it doesn't last, you can do a second celebratory mani. But, either way, it might take the pain out of glitter removal.
Maybe I'll try that! I don't have any glue though XD.

Here is my first mani using items from my Santa....it's Revlon Wintermint. I just love it, the scent lasted about a day and was a really strong peppermint scent. It smelled SO good...I can't wait to try the Spun Sugar and see what that one smells like!!
image.jpg
so pretty!!!! i was curious as to how long the scent would last. spun sugar sounds like it will smell delicious (maybe like cookies or something???)

Expectations:

uwDoMKQ.jpg

Reality:

eWKwnXdl.jpg

okay it's not actually that bad. I think I'm just not a huge fan of nail art, haha. Also, I've had my stamping set for two yeras and I almost never use it because it's a huge pain.

Maybe I'll try that! I don't have any glue though XD.
The trick with stamping is finding the right polish for it pick up on the stamper properly. I've learned that there's a learning curve to rolling the stamper to pick up the polish just right. I was so frustrated with it for ages, but finally am starting to get it. That looks great by the way!

Also....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYUU!!!!!

:luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:

(i realize that's a wizard, but pretend its a birthday hat :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

@ I wanted to wait and send your present so it would come in time for your birthday after I saw your birthday was so close on elfster - but lets be honest, I'm far too impatient for that hahahah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, I just received tracking via Elfster secret message! It should be here tomorrow! I might have to reassess my Christmas mani plan!

ETA:  EEE!  I guess that message is for something completely different because I arrived home to discover a box from @@Christa W waiting for me, very much not sent the way the message indicated, with a completely different tracking number, and from the other side of the country!  BRB!  Gotta go open goodies!  (And now I wonder what the tracking message I received is about!)

@ those look great! much better than i could have done (this is why i gravitate towards glitters, i don't have a steady enough hand for nail art hahah)
It was a bit of a flop for me because I think I look at nail art and go "oh that's so beautiful" but then I do it and at the end all I can personally see are the minute mistakes in mine XD

I could be a surgeon, i think, if I ever got into medicine like I wanted to... but operating rooms are cold and my hands don't have good circulation either ):

The trick with stamping is finding the right polish for it pick up on the stamper properly. I've learned that there's a learning curve to rolling the stamper to pick up the polish just right. I was so frustrated with it for ages, but finally am starting to get it. That looks great by the way!
I used the BL British Racing Green for this one... it seemed to go on opaque in one layer on the nail which is why I'm sort of T__T about it. Same with the gold I used (ChG Midnight Kiss.) Maybe I shoiuld've tried a Julep.

I've been using WnW Black Creme to stamp black, and I think that worked okay. I guess it's just frustrating. Then again, the only reason I'm so good at not getting polish on my cuticles (both hands!) is because I practiced. Just, doing nail art is always a mess too XD

Also....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYUU!!!!!

:luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:   :wizard:   :luv:

(i realize that's a wizard, but pretend its a birthday hat :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

@ I wanted to wait and send your present so it would come in time for your birthday after I saw your birthday was so close on elfster - but lets be honest, I'm far too impatient for that hahahah.
THANKS BB!! lol it's okay. I enjoyed opening it as soon as I got it...because gifts are exciting!!!

I used the BL British Racing Green for this one... it seemed to go on opaque in one layer on the nail which is why I'm sort of T__T about it. Same with the gold I used (ChG Midnight Kiss.) Maybe I shoiuld've tried a Julep.

I've been using WnW Black Creme to stamp black, and I think that worked okay. I guess it's just frustrating. Then again, the only reason I'm so good at not getting polish on my cuticles (both hands!) is because I practiced. Just, doing nail art is always a mess too XD
I'm having decent luck with Zoyas so far for stamping. Mentality also designs their polish for stamping purposes (and why it's thicker than most polishes), but have a super thick collection made specifically for stamping. I've had the best luck with those so far. I haven't tried any of my Juleps to see how well they stamp, and I'm skeptical to try due to the inconsistencies in their formulas. Not all polishes will stamp well (even though they're a good coverage polish), some are much worse than others. Don't let that discourage you from stamping - it truly is a matter of trial and error finding what will work and what won't work with both polishes and stamping tools.

OMG y'all - I woke up this morning to an anonymous message on elfster saying to expect a package today. I've been nonstop going but I was able to swing by my parent's house before visiting more family and got the most lovely thank you/wedding present from @ !!!!  :D

DSCN2024.JPG

all the lovely goodies!

DSCN2013.JPG

one of her famous origami paper cranes! when i saw her make these for @@yousoldtheworld 's regular secret santa package, i thought they were gorgeous. i showed it to my mom and she fawned over it too. :)

DSCN2023.JPG

she also does origami flowers, and they're just as amazing

DSCN2012.JPG

So, @ explained in her adorably thoughtful (and very cute paper) letter that the theme of this gift was "fairy tale love/wedding" - which I found totally appropriate and so creative! This first item included was eyeshadow by Impulse Co. in "Wish Upon a Star." Its a gorgeous shimmery light blue and the name is totally giving me Disney fairy tale vibes. I love it and I've been wanting to try this indie brand after seeing some gorgeous swatches!!

DSCN2019.JPG

Cynthia Rowley lip gloss in "Valentine" - totally appropriate romantic color and name. I love these little lip minis, I had one at one point in time and lost it while I was moving but I remember loving it.

DSCN2017.JPG

Julep nail polish in "Love" - I've never seen this polish before (probably because I haven't been following Julep lately) but I am IN LOVE with it. There's just something about shimmery polish with glitter flecks that speaks to me on a personal level.

DSCN2018.JPG

Fair Maiden Polish in "Once Upon a Dream" - also very appropriate with the Disney love theme. I've been eyeing Fair Maiden polish hard core but haven't ordered anything from them yet and was so excited to see this! Their whimsical themes, colors, and packaging are right up my alley. I think I'm going to paint my toes with this polish for the wedding!

@ this was completely unexpected and made my christmas eve! the fairy tale love theme was so perfect and made me smile. thank you so so so much!  :wub:   :wub:   :wub:

So are all the reveals done?? Who had who? I lost track...lol!!
Almost! We have one package that went MIA :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and I'm waiting to hear if its been delivered yet (if there are/were any other issues I'd assume y'all would PM me hahah). I don't wanna post the full list in the meantime, to try and keep some element of surprise hahaha.

@@kawaiimeows I'm so glad it got to you okay! I wasn't sure i fit was going to make it before Christmas, but I'm glad it did!! The anticipation was killing me. And major shoutout to @ for helping with the sneakiness. I saved your address from your gift, but I realized you probably wouldn't see it until January then, since that was your school address.

And I'm so flattered you want to use it for your toes at your wedding  :blush: I hope you can have all us MUT ladies with you there in spirit! Do you know what you want to use for your mani?

@@kawaiimeows I'm so glad it got to you okay! I wasn't sure i fit was going to make it before Christmas, but I'm glad it did!! The anticipation was killing me. And major shoutout to @ for helping with the sneakiness. I saved your address from your gift, but I realized you probably wouldn't see it until January then, since that was your school address.

And I'm so flattered you want to use it for your toes at your wedding  :blush: I hope you can have all us MUT ladies with you there in spirit! Do you know what you want to use for your mani?
I am SO indecisive, but I actually put on Julep Love the other day because I thought it was gorgeous. Then I had to go to the dress shop so my mom could try on her dress post-alterations so I asked to put on my dress really quickly just to make sure it still fit post-holiday/exam eating hahahahah and the nail polish looked SO good with my dress because its ivory, plus the red microglitter is just subtle enough that it kind of blends. I mighttttttt be going with that but we will see what I decide at the last minute ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do think I want to go with something ivory-ish/goldish/glitteryish - I wore my mom's color changing glitter ruby wing she got from birchbox for my bridal portraits and that looked nice too.

Back